St Peter and his grave in Rome

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

St Peter and his grave in Rome

Post by MrMacSon »

“The archaeological evidence for St. Peter’s grave and its veneration begins at the earliest around 160–180 AD, starting with the erection of the memorial.” This agrees perfectly with the dating of the rise of the Roman myth of St. Peter that can be deduced from the literary sources: the apology of Justinus and the letter of Dionysius of Corinth addressed to the congregation in Rome set a time-frame roughly between 155 and 174 AD.

https://www.philologie.uni-bonn.de/de/p ... n_rome.pdf
arnoldo

Re: St Peter and his grave in Rome

Post by arnoldo »

Your source didn't mention this reference to Peter's grave by the Emperor Julian.
But the worthy John, since he perceived that a great number of people in many of the towns of Greece and Italy had already been infected by this disease,131 and because he heard, I suppose, that even the tombs of Peter and Paul were being worshipped ----secretly, it is true, but still he did hear this,----he, I say, was the first to venture to call Jesus God.
http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/julia ... 1_text.htm

Ulan

Post by Ulan »

arnoldo wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 pm Your source didn't mention this reference to Peter's grave by the Emperor Julian.
This reference would not matter, as Zwierlein proposes, in agreement with the archeological findings, that the tradition of the grave of Peter started around 160-180 at a place where no grave had been before. At Julian's times, the legends were probably deeply engrained.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Ulan wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:29 am
arnoldo wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 pm Your source didn't mention this reference to Peter's grave by the Emperor Julian.
This reference would not matter, as Zwierlein proposes, in agreement with the archeological findings, that the tradition of the grave of Peter started around 160-180 at a place where no grave had been before. At Julian's times, the legends were probably deeply engrained.
Good point, the refence to Peter's death in John 21:18-19 may've also contributed to the engrained tradition regarding Peter's death.
John 21:18-19 wrote:Truly, truly, I tell you, when you were young, you dressed yourself and walked where you wanted; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. After He had said this, He told him, “Follow Me"