Another Useful Program to Develop for the Humanities

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Another Useful Program to Develop for the Humanities

Post by Secret Alias »

For Peter,

Another useful program would further modify existing software I've heard about which determines whether university students have plagiarized from existing sources. Why not adapt this for ancient languages to see whether ancient writers are using source material - alluding to other texts, modifying other texts? Can't be all that hard I imagine or at least 'doable' on some level.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Another Useful Program to Develop for the Humanities

Post by Peter Kirby »

Secret Alias wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:13 am For Peter,

Another useful program would further modify existing software I've heard about which determines whether university students have plagiarized from existing sources. Why not adapt this for ancient languages to see whether ancient writers are using source material - alluding to other texts, modifying other texts? Can't be all that hard I imagine or at least 'doable' on some level.
Yeah. It's part of my dream. Hopefully I live long enough to retire to the woods and write all this great software. :D
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

One of the first challenges of a modern browser for ancient sources & translations is lining them all up consistently. I've gone over this several times, and between different languages and different numbering schemes, it's hard to think of ways of doing this without requiring annotation by hand. I mean, thinking of easy ways. Running it through a machine translator could help, but Latin's spotty and ancient Greek is worse.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

I'm pretty old school in my computing habits, but if I ever do a revamped thing, it'll have an app. Clearly people want apps. It could have other ways of getting into it too, of course, like a web interface.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Secret Alias wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:13 am For Peter,

I suppose someone could modify or extend any existing open source software that does this in order to work for Greek and Latin.