The unknown god.

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Ben C. Smith

The unknown god.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Is there any connection at all here?

Acts 17.22-23: 22 So Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, "Men of Athens, I observe that you are very religious in all respects. 23 For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription: To An Unknown God [ἀγνώστῳ θεῶ, Vulgate: ignoto deo]. Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you."

Tertullian, Against Marcion 1.8.1: 1 In the first place, how arrogantly do the Marcionites build up their stupid system, bringing forward a new god, as if we were ashamed of the old one! So schoolboys are proud of their new shoes, but their old master beats their strutting vanity out of them. Now when I hear of a new god [deum], who, in the old world and in the old time and under the old god was unknown [ignotum] and unheard of, whom (accounted as no one through such long centuries back, and ancient in men's very ignorance of him) a certain Jesus Christ and none else revealed; whom Christ revealed, they say — Christ himself new, according to them, even, in ancient names — I feel grateful for this conceit of theirs. For by its help I shall at once be able to prove the heresy of their tenet of a new deity.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ