An Interesting Project for Peter Kirby

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: An Interesting Project for Peter Kirby

Post by Peter Kirby »

By spurious, I think he means the one to Mary and the rest of that lot.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
neilgodfrey

Re: An Interesting Project for Peter Kirby

Post by neilgodfrey »

Some of the articles cited I think do address forgeries and style and no doubt more has been written since those. There are limitations to how much one can genuinely imitate. (Sorry, but it's been some time since I read the articles so I don't want to risk addressing details from memory alone.) Certain words and phrases, for example, can be repeated obviously, but those repetitions do not hide the "fingerprints" of the imitating author; the discussions and tests in the articles look like fairly impressive results to me. Of course much would depend on whether the proposed genuine Ignatians have enough material to produce a meaningful result. But if significant differences were shown through the analysis that would surely be an interesting result.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science