New Testament Apocrypha Question

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ged

New Testament Apocrypha Question

Post by Ged »

Early writings

This link is good, but I'm hoping I don't have to read them all. :whistling:
Can anyone tell me if the New Testament Apocrypha has any date information? Clues to what year certain events took place - things like Pilates actions, Jesus' crucifixion, Pentecost, conversion of Cornelius etc.

Yeah, Im a little bit lazy :oops: Just thought some folks here would know.
The science of arranging time in periods and ascertaining the dates and historical order of past events.
Ben C. Smith

Re: New Testament Apocrypha Question

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ged wrote:Early writings

This link is good, but I'm hoping I don't have to read them all. :whistling:
Can anyone tell me if the New Testament Apocrypha has any date information? Clues to what year certain events took place - things like Pilates actions, Jesus' crucifixion, Pentecost, conversion of Cornelius etc.

Yeah, Im a little bit lazy :oops: Just thought some folks here would know.
The gospel of Peter has Pilate and Herod playing roles during the crucifixion. The gospel of the Ebionites apparently began with the preaching of John the Baptist, saying that "it happened in the days of Herod, king of Judea, in the high priesthood of Caiaphas." The Oxyrhynchus 840 gospel implies a date for Jesus' ministry before the destruction of the Jewish temple, as does the Egerton gospel. The Epistula Apostolorum says that Jesus was "crucified by Pontius Pilate and Archelaus," an impossible combination. The infancy gospel of James mentions Herod. These are the ones I can tell you off the top of my head; there may be others.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

Gospel of Nicodemus, First Greek Form, http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... berts.html
In the fifteenth year of the government of Tiberius Caesar, emperor of the Romans, and Herod being king of Galilee, in the nineteenth year of his rule, on the eighth day before the Kalends of April, which is the twenty-fifth of March, in the consulship of Rufus and Rubellio, in the fourth year of the two hundred and second Olympiad, Joseph Caiaphas being high priest of the Jews.

The account that Nicodemus wrote in Hebrew, after the cross and passion of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Saviour God, and left to those that came after him, is as follows:-
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Ged wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the New Testament Apocrypha has any date information?

Most is of no value for me because it is to late to carry historicity, the Pauline text and gospel text carry the most value for the origins of Christianity, and it is very very weak as it is, let alone later writing by people even further removed from any events.

The value of these later text is in the evolution of the later movement because they are great evidence for the followers at said time of authorship. Not Jesus or Johns movement.
Ged

Post by Ged »

outhouse wrote: Most is of no value for me because it is to late to carry historicity, the Pauline text and gospel text carry the most value for the origins of Christianity, and it is very very weak as it is, let alone later writing by people even further removed from any events.

The value of these later text is in the evolution of the later movement because they are great evidence for the followers at said time of authorship. Not Jesus or Johns movement.
Less value perhaps, but not "no value." People get their history from those who lived before them, so opinions from 3rd - 5th century writers has some connection, even if not as close.
The science of arranging time in periods and ascertaining the dates and historical order of past events.