Jesus and Joshua.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Jesus and Joshua.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Peter Kirby wrote:
Ben C. Smith wrote:I said in the OP that I was changing "Joshua" to "Jesus" in the texts in order to preserve the feel of things
I think this was a good move -- it's accurate to the Greek (not more accurate, but equally accurate), and it shakes up our preconceptions in a way making it all "Joshua" in this post wouldn't (because it's traditionally rendered Joshua in most of these passages, creating a difference where there isn't).
Thanks. Right. I wanted to make it sound and feel to us what it must have sounded and felt like to a Greek (or Hebrew) reader.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Is Joshua an 'unnecessary' intermediate name in the 'progression' from Yeshua -> Jesus ?
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

This may also help explain 1 Corinthians 10:1-4, about Jesus/Joshua (same in Greek) being the spiritual rock that followed Moses in the desert. I think all of this is consistent with an allegorical concept of Moses replaced by Jesus, the Law (Moses) replaced by grace (Christ), as we see suggested in John 1:17.

Good topic. I am glad somebody brought it up. :clap:
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

delete
Last edited by Secret Alias on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

MrMacSon wrote:Is Joshua an 'unnecessary' intermediate name in the 'progression' from Yeshua -> Jesus ?
No. Joshua is a direct Anglicization of Yeshua, while Jesus is an Anglicization of the Latin Iesus, which is a Latinization of the Greek Ἰησοῦς, which is a Graecization of Yeshua.

Yehoshua -> Yeshua -> Joshua.
Yehoshua -> Yeshua -> Ἰησοῦς -> Iesus -> Jesus.

(This is part of why Joshua is closer to Yeshua than Jesus is. There are fewer steps leading to Joshua than to Jesus.)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

MrMacSon wrote:
  • Is Joshua an 'unnecessary' intermediate name in the 'progression' from Yeshua -> Jesus ?
Ben C. Smith wrote:
No. Joshua is a direct Anglicization of Yeshua, while Jesus is an Anglicization of the Latin Iesus, which is a Latinization of the Greek Ἰησοῦς, which is a Graecization of Yeshua.

(This is part of why Joshua is closer to Yeshua than Jesus is. There are fewer steps leading to Joshua than to Jesus.)
Cheers Ben. I guess I was wondering if, as well as -
  • Yeshua -> Joshua
    Yeshua -> Ἰησοῦς -> Iesus -> Jesus -
there could also have been
  • Yeshua -> Jesus
or
  • Yeshua -> Iesus -> Jesus.
in various places or communities.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I think the distinction is artificial. Something in our English language. We distinguish the common name Joshua from Jesus. We would never name our sons Jesus. But in Spanish there is no such distinction, much as in Greek. It's not uncommon to see a Spanish speaker named Jesus. I think this impacts German and English speakers Biblical reading.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Ben C. Smith wrote:The name Jesus/Joshua comes from the Hebrew Yehoshua, shortened to Yeshua.
His real Aramaic name was probably Isho
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

MrMacSon wrote:
MrMacSon wrote:
  • Is Joshua an 'unnecessary' intermediate name in the 'progression' from Yeshua -> Jesus ?
Ben C. Smith wrote:

Cheers Ben. I guess I was wondering if, as well as -
  • Yeshua -> Joshua
    Yeshua -> Ἰησοῦς -> Iesus -> Jesus -
there could also have been
  • Yeshua -> Jesus
or
  • Yeshua -> Iesus -> Jesus.
in various places or communities.
It is really not about communities; it is about languages. For example, going from Yeshua straight to Jesus would mean that somebody took a Hebrew name and turned the yod into a J in the way one Anglicizes Hebrew words while simultaneously adding, for no apparent reason, a Latin case ending (-us). Why would someone do that when going straight from Hebrew to English? No, the Latin case ending obviously got there when it rendered the Greek ending (-οῦς).
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

I should have avoided reference to and thus use of the anglicized Jesus. I guess my question is answered by the 2nd line here: -
Ben C Smith wrote:
  • Yehoshua -> Yeshua -> Joshua.
  • ie. Yehoshua -> Yeshua -> Ἰησοῦς -> Iesus -> Jesus

=> Yehoshua -> Yeshua -> Ἰησοῦς -> Iesus