Stephan Huller Interview on Aeon Byte Gnostic Radio

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
stephan happy huller

Re: Stephan Huller Interview on Aeon Byte Gnostic Radio

Post by stephan happy huller »

But by the same logic every time a straight guy works side by side with a gay guy (man and woman for that matter) serious studies can suggest "they were gettin' it on" as a pretext for dismissing new evidence. Karen King and the owner of the Jesus Wife Fragment "I tell ya they were gettin' some, I hear he tapped that ass"! Therefore it's a fake. This is ridiculous
Everyone loves the happy times
Blood

Post by Blood »

I'm constantly reminded of how completely arbitrary Biblical scholarship is.

Has anyone read "The Mystery of Mar Saba" (1940)? Smith supposedly based his "hoax" on this book.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Blood

Post by Blood »

Was Smith actually gay?
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
stephan happy huller

I know of two female partners one immediately before the 1958 visit and another throughout the 70s. There is no evidence he was gay. But the interpretation of the discovery championed by his opponents coupled with the fact he never married led to rumors. Smith was very social but no one ever identified him as having seen Smith with anyone gay. But this leads to stupid claims he could have hid it this way or that.

The bottom line is that the best way to hide your gay is to get married. Look at Hollywood. The existence of female lovers one of which was clandestine contradicts the claim he was gay. He was brought up Swedenborgian. I take Swedenborg's status as an unmarried mystic to have made a deep impression on Smith (the way having an overbearing mother leads many Jews to marry Gentiles)

But its silly to speculate. It's best to stick with things that can be proved
stephan happy huller

I should add both women were Jewish