Rocky Meiron

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

Rocky Meiron

Post by Charles Wilson »

Another little piece of the Puzzle.

Zev Vilnay, Legends of Galilee, Jordan and Sinai, Jewish Publication Society, 1978, 5739, p. 216:

"On the height rising above Meiron, among thick bushes, stands a large rock over sixteen feet high. It is called Kisei Eliyahu - the Throne of Elijah, or Kisei ha-Meshiah - the Throne of the Messiah. This, it is said, is the very rock on which the forerunner of the Messiah, the Prophet Elijah, will first appear, as prophesied by Malachi:"

"Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the Lord.

"Here, on this stone seat, Elijah will sit, and here he will sound the big trumpet of Redemption that will proclaim the coming of the Messiah and the deliverance of all Israel, as prophesied by Isaiah: "And it shall come to pass in that day, thata great horn shall be blown."

There is a picture of the stone given in the book. The Story keeps coming back to Immer and the Settlement in Jabnit, and Jehoiarib in Meiron. Both Immer and Jehoiarib claim the Dynastic Hasmoneans. "Peter" => "Rocky" has a reason for his name - It announces his home, a rocky place on the highest hill/mountain. The redemption of Israel will begin from here. "On this rock I will build my Church".

The Romans did it. They rewrote the Story to show that the Redemption will be placed with the Romans. The Story of the Rock at Meiron may indeed be "mere legend" but over and over again, the Story returns to Meiron and Jabnit.

CW