The apocalyptic XVIth chapter of the Didache

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
FransJVermeiren

The apocalyptic XVIth chapter of the Didache

Post by FransJVermeiren »

The Didache is broadly considered to be an independent and very early Christian writing, probably from the end of the first century CE. It shows some relationship with the gospel of Matthew and with Revelation, but it is not dependent on either of them. The last chapter of the Didache is written in the apocalyptic style, and here quite some similarities with the Synoptic Apocalypse can be discerned. Below I will discuss in detail the relation between Didache XVI, the Matthean version of the Synoptic Apocalypse (and a few other NT passages), and Josephus. I follow Hermann Detering’s thesis that for the apocalyptic part of the Synoptic Gospels Matthew has priority over Mark and Luke. (Detering, H., The Synoptic Apocalypse (Mark 13 par): A Document from the Time of Bar Kochba, Journal of Higher Criticism 7 (200), pp. 161-210.)

I do not consider apocalyptic writings to be discussing timeless other-worldly subjects. I look at this type of texts with Clarke W. Owens’ comment in mind: “But the form of this (Jewish apocalyptic prophecy) was one that relied on the contemporary historical knowledge of its readers; when read with that historical knowledge, these passages refer both to Jesus’ own death and the catastrophe of the war with the Romans including the destruction of Jerusalem. Thus, a proper understanding of literary form gives us a historical meaning.

The independence of the Didache means that we encounter unique ideas or wording in this text (besides similarities with Josephus or the New Testament). Below I will first quote the relevant verse of Didache XVI (except verse 2 and 7), followed by a thematic comparison of the Didache, Josephus and the New Testament, ending with comments if necessary. As my discussion is quite elaborate, I will present it as a serial.

Didache XVI verse 1
Be vigilant for your life; do not let your lamps be extinguished, nor your waist be ungirded. But be ready, for you do not know when our Lord is coming.

Danger of life
----------------Didache XVI--------------- --------------------------------Josephus------------------------------ ------------------New Testament--------------
Verse 1a Several descriptions in War book V and VI Mt 24, 16
“Be vigilant for your life.” During the last phase of the war many thousands of Jews died,
and the life of many thousands of other Jews was in danger.
“Let those who are in Judea
flee to the mountains.”

(D) ‘Be vigilant’ is the translation of the Greek γρηγορειτε.
(NT) The people who are caught in Jerusalem are urged to flee to save their lives.

The Lord comes in perilous times
----------------Didache XVI--------------- --------------------------------Josephus------------------------------ ------------------New Testament--------------
Verse 1b Mt 24, 40-42
“Do not let your lamps be extinguished,
nor your waist be ungirded.
But be ready, for you do not know
the hour in which our Lord
is coming.”
“Then two men will be in the field;
one is taken and one is left.
Two women will be grinding the mill;
one is taken and one is left.
Be vigilant therefore, for you do not know
on what day your Lord is coming.”

The ‘be vigilant’ in Matthew 24, 42 is exactly the same word (γρηγορειτε) as in Didache XVI, 1. In the Didache it warns for peril to life, and in Matthew it immediately follows verses 41 and 42 in which one out of two is killed and the other one survives (the war doesn't spare the women). ‘Be vigilant therefore’ in Matthew can easily be read as the conclusion of the preceding two verses. With these similarities in mind the first verse of Didache XVI can be read as a homogenous war sentence. To stay awake and fully clothed means one is prepared for the flight.
www.waroriginsofchristianity.com

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.
MrMacSon

Re: The apocalyptic XVIth chapter of the Didache

Post by MrMacSon »

FransJVermeiren wrote:
I follow Hermann Detering’s thesis that for the apocalyptic part of the Synoptic Gospels Matthew has priority over Mark and Luke
(Detering, H The Synoptic Apocalypse (Mark 13 par): A Document from the Time of Bar Kochba, Journal of Higher Criticism 7 (2000), pp.161-210.)
So does Basil Lourié - 'The “Synoptic Apocalypse” (Mt 24-25 Par) & Its Jewish Source' Scrinium, Journal of Patrology & Critical Hagiography, 2015; pp.87-108.
  • "The most complete recension of [the] SA is that of Matthew ...I consider convincing Hermann Detering’s argumentation for the dependency of the Markan recension of SA from the Matthean one (regardless of mutual relations between these gospels in general)."
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

This is an analysis I did back in 2011, I think.

Didache
Matthew
Luke, Mark or Other
16:1a "Watch" for your life's sake (Γρηγορεῖτε ὑπὲρ τῆς ζωῆς ὑμῶν) Mt 24:38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, 39 and they did not know until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of man. … 42a Watch therefore (Γρηγορεῖτε οὖν) Lk 21:36a But watch at all times (ἀγρυπνεῖτε δὲ ἐν παντὶ καιρω)
1b "Let not your lamps be quenched Mt 25:8 And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.' Lk 12:35b and your lamps burning
1c nor your loins unloosed; . Lk 12:35a "Let your loins be girded
1d but be ye ready, for ye know not the hour in which the Lord of us cometh." Mt 24:42b for you do not know on what day the Lord of you is coming. Lk 12:40 You also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an unexpected hour."
2a But often shall ye come together, seeking the things which are befitting to your souls: . Ignatius, Ephesians, short & long, 13:1 Take heed, then, often to come together to give thanks to God, and show forth His praise. For when ye assemble frequently in the same place, the powers of Satan are destroyed
2b for the whole time of your faith will not profit you, if ye be not made perfect in the last time. . Novatian a prominent Roman presbyter [and schismatic pope 251-258 CE] … insisted that no lapsed person [under the Decian persecution 250-252 CE] should be readmitted to the church. Novatian contended that the lapsed had forfeited grace through a denial of Christ.
3a For in the last days false prophets and corrupters shall be multiplied, Mt 7:15a "Beware of false prophets, Mt 24:11 And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. Mt 24:24a For false Christs and false prophets will arise Mk 13:22a False Christs and false prophets will arise
3b and the sheep (πρόβατα) shall be turned into wolves, Mt 7:15b who come to you in sheep's (προβάτων) clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. Mt 10:16 "Behold, I send you out as sheep (πρόβατα) in the midst of wolves Lk 10:3 Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs (ἄρνας) in the midst of wolves.
3c and love shall be turned into hate; Mt 24:10b and hate one another. .
4a for when lawlessness increaseth, Mt 24:12 And because wickedness is multiplied, most men's love will grow cold. .
4b they shall hate and persecute and betray one another, Mt 24:10a And then many will fall away, and betray one another, .
4c and then shall appear the world-deceiver (κοσμοπλανὴς) as Son of God (ὡς υἱὸς θεοῦ = as son of god/as a son of god), . 2 Thes 2:3 Let no one deceive you in any way; for that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness (ὁ ἄνθρωπος τῆς ἀνομίας) is revealed, the son of perdition (ὁ υἱὸς τῆς ἀπωλείας)
4d and shall do signs and wonders, Mt 24:24b and show great signs and wonders, Mk 13:22b and show signs and wonders
4e and the earth shall be delivered into his hands, and he shall do iniquitous things which have never yet come to pass since the beginning. . 2 Thes 2:4 who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God (ὅτι ἔστιν θεός = that he is god/a god).
5a Then shall the creation of men come into the fire of trial, . Ignatius, Romans, short & long, 5.3 ... envy me that I should attain to Jesus Christ. Let fire and the cross; let the crowds of wild beasts; let tearings, breakings, and dislocations of bones; let cutting off of members; let shatterings of the whole body; and let all the dreadful torments of the devil come upon me: only let me attain to Jesus Christ.
5b and many shall be made to stumble (σκανδαλισθήσονται) and shall perish; Mt 18:7b For it is necessary that temptations (σκάνδαλα) come, but woe to the man by whom the temptation (σκάνδαλον) comes! Mt 24:24c so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. Lk 17:1 And he said to his disciples, "Temptations to sin (σκάνδαλα) are sure to come; but woe to him by whom they come! Mk 13:22c to lead astray, if possible, the elect.
5c but they that endure in their faith shall be saved Mt 24:13 But he who endures to the end will be saved. .
5d from under the curse itself (ὑπ᾽ αὐτοῦ τοῦ καταθέματος = under of/from himself/itself the according to sacred dedication). . Ignatius, Polycarp, 2:3 "Be sober as an athlete of God: the prize set before thee is immortality and eternal life" (νῆφε ὡς θεοῦ ἀθλητής τὸ θέμα ἀφθαρσία καὶ ζωὴ αἰώνιος)
6a And then shall appear the signs of the truth . .
6b first, the sign of an out-spreading in heaven (ἐκπετάσεως ἐν οὐρανῷ = out-flying in heaven) Mt 24:31a and he will send out (ἀποστελεῖ) his angels … 31d from one end of heaven to the other. .
6c then the sign of the sound of the trumpet Mt 24:31b with a loud trumpet call .
6d and the third, the resurrection of the dead . .
7 yet not of all, but as it is said: The Lord shall come and all His saints with Him. Mt 24:31c and they will gather his elect from the four winds .
8 Then shall the world see the Lord coming upon the clouds of heaven. Mt 24:30b and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory .

DCH

Edit: Added Ignatius, Polycarp 2:3 as a possible parallel to Didache 16:5d
Last edited by DCHindley on Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FransJVermeiren

Thank you once again, DCH, this time for your nice overview. I didn’t know its existence, I will use it to my advantage. As you can see my approach is a little bit different, as Josephus is also involved. I am sure I am not merely going to repeat your table.

I already see a difference in our discussion of the first verse. I think that Mt 24, 40-41 is an important passage as it reminds of extreme war circumstances with halving of the population. Exactly those two verses, that are followed by ‘watch therefore’ (Γρηγορεῖτε οὖν), are lacking in your quote.

I think that in this first verse, as well as in its parallel in the Matthean Apocalypse, the story is placed during the ongoing war, but still the Lord has not come yet. “Watch therefore, for you do not know on what day the Lord is coming.”

Thank you also for mentioning Luke 21:36a with its threatening (war?) atmosphere: “…that you may have strength to escape all these things that will take place.

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.
FransJVermeiren

(part 2)

Didache XVI verse 3-4
(3) For in the last days the false prophets and the corrupters shall be multiplied, and the sheep shall be turned into wolves, and love shall change to hate. (4) For as lawlessness increases, men will hate, persecute and betray one another, and then the deceiver of the world will appear as the son of God and will do signs and wonders, and the earth will be given into his hands and he will commit such abominations as have never been done before.

False prophets
----------------Didache XVI--------------- ------------------------------Josephus---------------------------- --------------------New Testament----------------
Verse 3 War VI 286 Mt 24
“For in the last days the false
prophets and the corrupters shall be
multiplied …”
“Many prophets had been induced in these days by the
rebel leaders to deceive the people …”
v. 11 “And many false prophets will arise
and lead many astray.”

v. 24a “For false Christs and false prophets will
arise (…) so as to lead astray, if possible, even
the elect.”

(J) Josephus’s War VI 286 describes the 70 CE situation.

General dissension: war and civil war
----------------Didache XVI--------------- ------------------------------Josephus---------------------- --------------------New Testament-------------
Verse 3 and 4 War II, 152 (on the Essenes)
War IV, 132
Mt 24, 10 and 12
Lc 14, 26
(3) “Love shall change to hate.”

(4) “Men will hate, persecute and
betray one another.”
II, 152: "Their spirit was tested to the utmost
by the war with the Romans. They racked, twisted,
burnt and broke them, subjecting them to every
instument of torture in order to make them
blaspeme their Lawgiver, or eat something forbidden.
Yet they did not yield either demand, nor ever once
did they fawn on their tormentors or shed a tear."

IV, 132 “First of all in the homes this party rivalry
disrupted unity among those who had been bosom
friends; then the nearest relatives severed all
former ties, and, attaching themselves to men
who shared their respective views, lined up on
opposite sides.”
Mt 24, 10 “And then many will stumble,
and betray one another, and hate one
another.”

Mt 24, 12 “And because wickedness
is multiplied, most men’s love will
grow cold.”

Lc “If any one comes to me and does
not hate his own father and mother
and wife and children and brothers and
sisters, yes, and even his own life,
he cannot be my disciple.”

I think there is an interesting relation between Didache XVI, 3 ‘love shall be turned into hate’, Mt 24, 12 ‘most men’s love will grow cold’ and 1QS Community Rule IX, 21 ‘These are the regulations of the way for the wise man in those times, for his love as well as his hate: eternal hate in a spirit of secrecy for the men of perdition!’
In my opinion the ‘most men’s love will grow cold’ of Matthew 24, 12 is a pale translation of ‘ψυγησεται η αγαπη των πολλων’. Οι πολλοι is the standard Greek term for the general council of the fully initiated Essenes of the Qumran community. Maybe, in the spirit of Qumran, Matthew means that the love of the Essene community had disappeared and that only hate remained. I propose to translate ψυγησεται η αγαπη των πολλων as ‘the love of the whole congregation will extinguish’ to keep the possible relationship with the Qumran community intact.

DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Frans,

I was just trying to make crystal clear that almost all of Didache 16 has parallels in the canonical Gospels or other early Christian writings, which suggests to me that Didache 16 is derivative rather than seminal.

Drawing on a post I made in 2014, if one looks at the passages in the gospels where Jesus predicts "brother will hate brother" and "father will hate son" (or vice versa) and "you will be hated by peoples of all nations for my sake" and you can likely find one or more parallel passage in Josephus' War or his Life.
Jewish War 2.457 Now the people of Caesarea had slain the Jews that were among them on the very same day and hour [when the Roman soldiers who had agreed to surrender the citadel were slain in Jerusalem by the revolutionaries led by the Captain of the Temple, Eleazar], which one would think must have come to pass by the direction of Providence; insomuch that in one hour's time more than twenty thousand Jews were killed, and all Caesarea was emptied of its Jewish inhabitants; for Florus caught such as ran away, and sent them in bonds to the galleys.
458 Upon which stroke that the Jews received at Caesarea, the whole nation was greatly enraged; so they divided themselves into several parties, and laid waste the villages of the Syrians, and their neighbouring cities, Philadelphia, and Sebonitis, and Gerasa, and Pella, and Scythopolis,
459 and after them Gadara, and Hippos; and falling upon Gaulonitis, some cities they destroyed there, and some they set on fire, and then went to Kedasa, belonging to the Tyrians, and to Ptolemais, and to Gaba, and to Caesarea;
460 nor was either Sebaste (Samaria) or Askelon able to oppose the violence with which they were attacked; and when they had burnt these to the ground; they entirely demolished Anthedon and Gaza; many also of the villages that were around everyone of those cities were plundered, and an immense slaughter was made of the men who were caught in them.
461 However, the Syrians were even with the Jews in the multitude of the men whom they slew; for they killed those whom they caught in their cities, and that not only out of the hatred they bare them, as formerly, but to prevent the danger under which they were from them;
462 so that the disorders in all Syria were terrible, and every city was divided into two armies encamped one against another, and the preservation of the one party was in the destruction of the other;
463 so the daytime was spent in shedding of blood, and the night in fear--which was of the two the more terrible; for when the Syrians thought they had ruined the Jews, they had the Judaizers in suspicion also; and as each side did not care to slay those whom they only suspected on the other, so did they greatly fear them when they were mingled with the other, as if they were certainly foreigners.
464 Moreover, greediness of gain was a provocation to kill the opposite party, even to such as had of old appeared very mild and gentle toward them; for they without fear plundered the effects of the slain, and carried off the spoils of those whom they slew to their own houses, as if they had been gained in a set battle; and he was esteemed a man of honour who got the greatest share, as having prevailed over the greatest number of his enemies.
465 It was then common to see cities filled with dead bodies, still lying unburied, and those of old men, mixed with infants, all dead, and scattered about together; women also lay among them, without any covering for their nakedness: you might then see the whole province full of inexpressible calamities, while the dread of still more barbarous practices which were threatened, was everywhere greater than what had been already perpetrated.
And the case was worse for those who sided with the other race against those of their own race:
466 And thus far the conflict had been between Jews and foreigners; but when they made excursions to Scythopolis, they found Jews that acted as enemies; for as they stood in battle array with those of Scythopolis, and preferred their own safety before their relation to us, they fought against their own countrymen;
467 nay, their alacrity was so very great, that those of Scythopolis suspected them. These were afraid, therefore, lest they should make an assault upon the city in the night time, and to their great misfortune, should thereby make an apology for themselves to their own people for their revolt from them. So they commanded them, that in case they would confirm their agreement, and demonstrate their fidelity to them, who were of a different nation, they should go out of the city, with their families, to a neighbouring grove:
468 and when they had done as they were commanded, without suspecting anything, the people of Scythopolis lay still for the interval of two days, to tempt them to be secure; but on the third night they watched for their opportunity, and cut all their throats, some as they lay unguarded, and some as they lay asleep. The number that was slain was more than thirteen thousand, and then they plundered them of all that they had.
469 It will deserve our history to relate what befell Simon; he was the son of one Saul, a man of reputation among the Jews. This man was distinguished from the rest by the strength of his body and the boldness of his conduct, although he abused them both to the mischievousness of his countrymen;
470 for he came every day and slew a great many of the Jews of Scythopolis, and he frequently put them to flight, and became himself alone the cause of his army's conquering.
471 But a just punishment overtook him for the murders he had committed upon those of the same nation with him; for when the people of Scythopolis threw their javelins at them in the grove, he drew his sword, but did not attack any of the enemy; for he saw that he could do nothing against such a multitude; but he cried out, after a very moving manner, and said--
472 "O you people of Scythopolis, I deservedly suffer for what I have done with relation to you, when I gave you such security of my fidelity to you, by slaying so many of those who were related to me. Therefore we very justly experience the perfidiousness of foreigners, while we acted after a most wicked manner against our own nation. I will therefore die, polluted wretch as I am, by mine own hands; for it is not fit I should die by the hand of our enemies;
473 and let the same action be to me both a punishment for my great crimes, and a testimony of my courage to my commendation, that so no one of our enemies may have it to boast of, that he it was that slew me; and no one may glory over me as I fall.''
474 Now when he had said this, he looked around him upon his family with eyes of pity and of rage; (that family consisted of a wife and children, and his aged parents;)
475 so, in the first place, he caught his father by his grey hairs, and ran his sword through him; and after him he did the same to his mother, who willingly received it; and after them he did the like to his wife and children, everyone almost offering themselves to his sword, as desirous to prevent being slain by their enemies;
476 so when he had gone over all his family, he stood upon their bodies to be seen by all, and stretching out his right hand, that his action might be observed by all, he sheathed his entire sword into his own bowels. This young man was to be pitied, on account of the strength of his body and the courage of his soul; but since he had assured foreigners of his fidelity [against his own countrymen], he suffered deservedly.
If one who even remembers the cases of Bosnia-Hergovina and Rwanda in the 80s and 90s, there were mass pogroms, instances of ethnic cleansing, and the dispatch (executions) of those who remained on friendly terms with the "enemy".
(JOE Jwr 2:477-480) 477 Besides this murder at Scythopolis, the other cities rose up against the Jews that were among them: those of Askelon slew two thousand five hundred, and those of Ptolemais, two thousand, and put not a few into bonds;
478 those of Tyre also put a great number to death, but kept a greater number in prison; moreover, those of Hippos and those of Gadara, did the like, while they put to death the boldest of the Jews, but kept those of whom they were afraid in custody; as did the rest of the cities of Syria, according as everyone either hated them or were afraid of them;
This was not universally the case, though:
479 only the Antiochians, the Sidonians, and Apamians spared those who dwelt with them, and would not endure either to kill any of the Jews or to put them in bonds. And perhaps they spared them, because their own number was so great that they despised their attempts. But I think the greatest part of this favour was owing to their pity of those whom they saw to make no seditions.
480 As for the Gerasens, they did no harm to those who abode with them; and for those who had a mind to go away, they conducted them as far as their borders reached.
Some NT examples:
(RSV Mat 24:9-10) 9 "Then they will deliver you up to tribulation, and put you to death; and you will be hated by all nations for my name's sake. 10 And then many will fall away, and betray one another, and hate one another.

(RSV Mat 10:35-36) 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man's foes will be those of his own household.

(RSV Mar 13:12-13) 12 And brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; 13 and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved.

(RSV Luk 6:22) 22 "Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they exclude you and revile you, and cast out your name as evil ...!

(RSV Luk 14:26) 26 "If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
Sorry for the retread.

DCH
spin

Essene waffle

Post by spin »

FransJVermeiren wrote:Οι πολλοι is the standard Greek term for the general council of the fully initiated Essenes of the Qumran community.
If you don't mind asserting unsubstantiated woo then, gosh that's interesting! But there is no evidence to allow anyone to think initiated Essenes had anything to do with Qumran. It's sad speculation from bible scholars who lack the spine to say they don't really know who wrote the scrolls. Nature abhores a vacuum. But scientists have to admit what they don't know, as do most other scholars, and the fact is they don't know who wrote the scrolls, although the writers claim that they literally had the sons of Zadok, the sons of Aaron and the sons of Levi in their midst, so obviously the community had nothing to do with the Essenes, who didn't accept bloodlines and took in children from anywhere to "replenish their numbers".

As the information we have regarding the community(-ies) of the scrolls is in Hebrew and Aramaic (with a few Greek Pentateuch translation fragments), there is no basis to claim that Οι πολλοι is the standard Greek term for anything concerning them.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
FransJVermeiren

spin wrote: As the information we have regarding the community(-ies) of the scrolls is in Hebrew and Aramaic (with a few Greek Pentateuch translation fragments), there is no basis to claim that Οι πολλοι is the standard Greek term for anything concerning them.
Concerning hàrrabîm / οι πολλοι / ‘the many’ I found the following:

The Qumran scrolls, which help us better to understand the language of the Gospels, provide us with a new piece of evidence. The Qumran Essenes, as we read in their Community Rule, loved to call themselves 'the Many' (1 QS, the rendering of most interpreters, including Dupont-Sommer): they borrowed the term from the Isaiah 52-53 prophecy, where hàrrabîm is insistently repeated to designate the beneficiaries of the Servant's death. We cannot doubt that they gave the word a particularist meaning, for they passionately claimed to be, and they alone, the true Israel of God, the elect people; on the apostate nation, on the sons of Belial, they would call fire down from heaven. Now, Jesus uses the same term, as is obvious from its Greek equivalent, hoi polloi, when he also alludes to Isaiah 53 and tells of the gift of his Servant's life as a ransom substituted for 'the Many' (Matt. 20:28). This is a weighty argument.

Blocher, H., The Scope of Redemption and Modern Theology, Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology, 9, 1, 1991, p. 101.

In The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English, Geza Vermes consistently translates harrabim as ‘Congregation’, but literally it means ‘the many’. See 1QS VI, 18-23 (my underlining):

"When he has completed one year within the community, the many shall be asked about his affairs with regard to his insight and his works in the Torah. If the lot should go out to him, that he should approach the assembly of the community according to the priests and the multitude of the men of their covenant, then both his property and his possessions shall be given to the hand of the man who is the examiner over the possessions of the many. And he shall register it into the account with his hand, and he must not bring it forth for the many. He must not touch the drink of the many until he has completed a second year among the men of the community. When that second year has been completed he shall be examined according to the many. If the lot goes out to him to approach the community, he shall be registered in the order of his rank among his brothers, for Torah, judgment and purity and his property shall be assimilated. His counsel and his judgment shall belong to the community."

Source: http://www.mycrandall.ca/courses/ntintr ... qumran.htm

Maybe it is no coincidence that οι πολλοι occurs in the apocalyptic part of Matthew. The writers of the Dead Seas Scrolls, who probably were part of ‘the many’, were also fond of apocalypticism.

spin

Post by spin »

FransJVermeiren wrote:
spin wrote:
FransJVermeiren wrote:Οι πολλοι is the standard Greek term for the general council of the fully initiated Essenes of the Qumran community.
As the information we have regarding the community(-ies) of the scrolls is in Hebrew and Aramaic (with a few Greek Pentateuch translation fragments), there is no basis to claim that Οι πολλοι is the standard Greek term for anything concerning them.
Concerning hàrrabîm / οι πολλοι / ‘the many’ I found the following:
The issue is not about the Qumran covenanters self-defining as ha-rabim, but the assertion: Οι πολλοι is the standard Greek term for the general council.... It is not "the standard Greek term for the general council...". It is merely a Greek translation. The covenanters spoke mainly Hebrew and some used Aramaic. They had no standard Greek terms. The waffler you cite is cobbling stuff together, "a load of cobblers". One of those sorry duffers seeking to link the scrolls with christianity.
FransJVermeiren wrote:The Qumran scrolls, which help us better to understand the language of the Gospels, provide us with a new piece of evidence. The Qumran Essenes, as we read in their Community Rule, loved to call themselves 'the Many' (1 QS, the rendering of most interpreters, including Dupont-Sommer): they borrowed the term from the Isaiah 52-53 prophecy, where hàrrabîm is insistently repeated to designate the beneficiaries of the Servant's death. We cannot doubt that they gave the word a particularist meaning, for they passionately claimed to be, and they alone, the true Israel of God, the elect people; on the apostate nation, on the sons of Belial, they would call fire down from heaven. Now, Jesus uses the same term, as is obvious from its Greek equivalent, hoi polloi, when he also alludes to Isaiah 53 and tells of the gift of his Servant's life as a ransom substituted for 'the Many' (Matt. 20:28). This is a weighty argument.

Blocher, H., The Scope of Redemption and Modern Theology, Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology, 9, 1, 1991, p. 101.

In The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English, Geza Vermes consistently translates harrabim as ‘Congregation’, but literally it means ‘the many’. See 1QS VI, 18-23 (my underlining):

"When he has completed one year within the community, the many shall be asked about his affairs with regard to his insight and his works in the Torah. If the lot should go out to him, that he should approach the assembly of the community according to the priests and the multitude of the men of their covenant, then both his property and his possessions shall be given to the hand of the man who is the examiner over the possessions of the many. And he shall register it into the account with his hand, and he must not bring it forth for the many. He must not touch the drink of the many until he has completed a second year among the men of the community. When that second year has been completed he shall be examined according to the many. If the lot goes out to him to approach the community, he shall be registered in the order of his rank among his brothers, for Torah, judgment and purity and his property shall be assimilated. His counsel and his judgment shall belong to the community."

Source: http://www.mycrandall.ca/courses/ntintr ... qumran.htm
Be warned this site seems to slavishly adhere to the ravings of the early scholars who had control of the scrolls under Roland de Vaux. Quite a few still do. But many archaeologists who've worked at or closely examined Qumran don't. See for example this PDF.
FransJVermeiren wrote:Maybe it is no coincidence that οι πολλοι occurs in the apocalyptic part of Matthew. The writers of the Dead Seas Scrolls, who probably were part of ‘the many’, were also fond of apocalypticism.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
FransJVermeiren

(Part 3)

Didache XVI, verse 4
For as lawlessness increases, men will hate, persecute and betray one another, and then the deceiver of the world will appear as the son of God and will do signs and wonders, and the earth will be given into his hands and he will commit such abominations as have never been done before.

Lawlessness
-------------------Didache XVI-------------------- -------------------Josephus----------------- --------------------New Testament-------------------
Verse 4 Mt 24, 12
2 Th 2, 3-4
“For as lawlessness increases, men will hate,
persecute and betray one another …”
Mt “And because wickedness is
multiplied, most men’s love will grow cold.”
→ “And as lawlessness increases, the love
of the whole congregation will extinguish.”

2 Th “… for that day will not come, unless the
rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness
is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes
and exalts himself against everything called god
or object of worship, so that he takes his seat
in the temple of God, proclaiming himself
to be God.”

(NT) Traditionally the first part of Mt 24, 12 is translated as ‘And because wickedness is multiplied’. I believe an identical translation as Didache XVI verse 4 is justified because αυξανω and πληθυνω are synonyms. For the translation of the second part of this sentence, see part 2 of this contribution.
It is not difficult to discover Titus in the man of lawlessness of 2 Thessalonians 2, 3-4. Of course there is no parallel for this point o view in Josephus. However, one can easily imagine why, based on Josephus’s description of Titus’s deeds, the early Christians called him an immoral, criminal man.

The deceiver of the world as the son of a deity
----------------Didache XVI--------------- -----------------------------Josephus--------------------------- ------------------New Testament--------------
Verse 4 Jewish War and Life Revelation 17, 11
“And then the deceiver of the world
will appear as the son of God.”
Vespasian and his son Titus are the Roman protagonists
of these accounts.
“As for the beast that was and is not,
it is an eighth but it belongs to the seven,
and it goes to destruction.”

‘Deceiver of the world’ is the translation of the Greek κοσμοπλανης. As κοσμος was a widely used pseudonym for the Roman Empire (1), a deceiving Roman, more particularly a deceiving Roman ruler is meant here. This deceiver is the son of a deity, not of the Jewish God of course but maybe of a deified Roman emperor. Titus was the son of divus (divinized, deified) augustus Vespasianus. The pernicious activity of father and son is depicted throughout Josephus’s War (and Life). The beasts in Revelation are also Roman emperors, and in chapter 17 verse 11 the ‘eighth which belongs to the seven(th)’ describes the son/father relationship of Vespasian and Titus, the son bringing about destruction. In 2 Thessalonians 2 verse 3 the lawless one who brings destruction (perdition) is not accidently ‘son of’, he is (at least in the eyes of the Jews) the most infamous ‘son’ of that era.
The son of perdition is also staged in the Tiburtine Sibyl: “And he who was hung on the cross will wage war upon the son of perdition …”

(1) Nero as ὁ του παντος κοσμου κυριος on a 67 CE inscription, several Roman emperors as κοσμοκρατωρ.

Unparalleled iniquities
----------------Didache XVI--------------- -----------------------Josephus----------------------- -----------------------New Testament------------------
Verse 4 Jewish War Book V and VI Mt 24, 15 and 21
“The earth will be given into his hands
and he will commit such abominations
as have never been done before.”
Many thousands are killed by famine
and the sword, and many thousands of others
are deported. The Temple and the capital
are destroyed, the humiliation is unbearable
and the Jewish nation is almost annihilated.
15: “So when you see the desolating sacrilege (…)
standing in the holy place …”
21: “For then there will be a great catastrophe,
such as has not been from the beginning
of the world until now, no, and never will be.”

(D) Earth is the translation of the Greek γη, which does not always mean the earth in general, but which is also used in a territorial sense, for example to denote Palestine, and in my opinion this is also the case here (see BDAG p. 196). So this verse tells in a veiled way that the Jewish homeland falls in the hands of Titus.

(NT) The ‘desolating sacrilege’. In the eyes of the Jews the Romans committed a lot of enormities when capturing the Temple Mount: the burning of the Temple itself, the massive slaughter of defenders, citizens and priests, the erection of the divinized standards of the legions in front of the Temple (some of which might be bearing the image of Vespasian!), Titus’s acclamation as imperator, his entrance into the forbidden Holy of Holies, (according to Babylonian Talmud Tractacte Gittin 56b) his cutting of the veil of the Temple, and his intercourse with a prostitute on a Bible scroll.
If the ἑστὸς of verse 15 really means ‘standing’ in the sense of erection, then most likely the sacred standards of the Roman legions are the best candidates for the βδέλυγμα τῆς ἐρημώσεως.