Empty Tomb in Mark's gospel not written by original author

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Empty Tomb in Mark's gospel not written by original auth

Post by Peter Kirby »

Crossan thinks that "secret Mark" was the original Mark's gospel, which included the two passages noted by Clement of Alexandria, and ending at 15:39 (I do not agree with that, I think "secret Mark" was an elaboration of canonical Mark).
Right. You seem to have represented him fairly.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Solstice

Post by Solstice »

Mark 1:1 KJV
The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God
Mark 15:39 KJV
And when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he so cried out, and gave up the ghost, he said, Truly this man was the Son of God

*IF* "Son of God" is original to Mark 1:1 it certainly makes for good book ends with 15:39

Also, if the population at the time was mostly illiterate, were these intended to be read aloud? I can almost picture the reader reciting that last line very dramatically "Truly this man was the Son of God" ....stops.... and his audience goes "Whoa...."

It just feels like a proper last line for a story meant to be read aloud.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

problem revisited :mrgreen:

problem Mark 15.42

"And when evening had come, since it was the day of Preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath, ..."
"Καὶ ἤδη ὀψίας γενομένης, ἐπεὶ ἦν παρασκευὴ ὅ ἐστιν προσάββατον, ..."

question: Is the burial of Jesus on the day of the crucifixion or on the next day?

Steven Carr (2004) writes: Mark 15:42, "When evening was already come, because it was Friday (paraskeue) that is, the day before the sabbath ..." . This means "either that Friday began with that sunset, and Jesus had died on Thursday; or else, the evangelist forgot [or did not know] that the Jewish day began at evening." Matthew 27:57-62 clarifies Mark's confusion over Jewish days. Interestingly, the NIV tries to translate the problem away by writing for Mark 15:42 'So as evening approached ", rather than "And when evening had come ", as the RSV has it.

possible answer

crucifixion - first day (the day before the burial)
burial - second day (the day before the Sabbath)
Sabbath - third day
the day after the Sabbath (morning) - after three days

end of problem ;)
Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

Every time I come across a deliberate NIV mistranslation meant to fix an error in the text, I tell myself I need to keep a file of them to show Evangelicals. That's it, I'm starting one now!
Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:50 am problem revisited :mrgreen:

problem Mark 15.42

"And when evening had come, since it was the day of Preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath, ..."
"Καὶ ἤδη ὀψίας γενομένης, ἐπεὶ ἦν παρασκευὴ ὅ ἐστιν προσάββατον, ..."

question: Is the burial of Jesus on the day of the crucifixion or on the next day?

Steven Carr (2004) writes: Mark 15:42, "When evening was already come, because it was Friday (paraskeue) that is, the day before the sabbath ..." . This means "either that Friday began with that sunset, and Jesus had died on Thursday; or else, the evangelist forgot [or did not know] that the Jewish day began at evening." Matthew 27:57-62 clarifies Mark's confusion over Jewish days. Interestingly, the NIV tries to translate the problem away by writing for Mark 15:42 'So as evening approached ", rather than "And when evening had come ", as the RSV has it.

possible answer

crucifixion - first day (the day before the burial)
burial - second day (the day before the Sabbath)
Sabbath - third day
the day after the Sabbath (morning) - after three days

end of problem ;)
The Greek word, opsios, does not necessarily denote sunset. It just means late in the day or towards the end of the day. It can mean nothing more than the late afternoon - specifically the period between 3-6 PM.
iskander

Re: Empty Tomb in Mark's gospel not written by original author

Post by iskander »

Would Iphigeneia like to comment on mark 15:42?