"The Simontic Problem". "Mark's" Negative Casting of Peter

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
JoeWallack

Bend It Like Baalham

Post by JoeWallack »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNU3X46GoGg

JW:

Straight way X-curses:

Subject of Comparison "Mark" "Matthew" Marcion "Luke" "John"
The speed of the response to the call of Discipleship
1:14 Now after John was delivered up, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God,
15 and saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe in the gospel.
16 And passing along by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew the brother of Simon casting a net in the sea; for they were fishers.
17 And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.
18 And straightway they left the nets, and followed him.
4:17 From that time began Jesus to preach, and to say, Repent ye; for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
18 And walking by the sea of Galilee, he saw two brethren, Simon who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishers.
19 And he saith unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you fishers of men.
20 And they straightway left the nets, and followed him.
5: 1 And it came to pass, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,
2 And saw two ships standing by the lake:
but the fishermen were gone out of them,
and were washing their nets.
3 And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's,
and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land.
And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.
4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon,
Launch out into the deep,
and let down your nets for a draught.
5 And Simon answering said unto him,
Teacher, we have toiled all the night,
and have taken nothing:
nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.
6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes:
and their net brake.
7 And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship,
that they should come and help them.
And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.
8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying,
Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.
9 For he was astonished, and all that were with him,
at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:
10 And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee,
which were partners with Simon.
And Jesus said unto Simon,
Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men alive.
11 And when they had brought their ships to land,
they forsook all, and followed him.
-
1:35 Again on the morrow John was standing, and two of his disciples;
36 and he looked upon Jesus as he walked, and saith, Behold, the Lamb of God!
37 And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.
38 And Jesus turned, and beheld them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? And they said unto him, Rabbi (which is to say, being interpreted, Teacher), where abideth thou?
39 He saith unto them, Come, and ye shall see. They came therefore and saw where he abode; and they abode with him that day: it was about the tenth hour.
40 One of the two that heard John [speak], and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter`s brother.
41 He findeth first his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messiah (which is, being interpreted, Christ).
42 He brought him unto Jesus. Jesus looked upon him, and said, Thou art Simon the son of John: thou shalt be called Cephas (which is by interpretation, Peter).
Commentary Note that in GMark Peter goes from zero to secty in 3 seconds. Likewiseguy in GMatthew as at the time GMark was the only source. Marcion, the likely next Gospel, is transitioning to claimed history. The whatever is the opposite of believable story is now made less unbelievable as Peter is all excited after an entire story rather than just a sentence. GLuke converts all the way to claimed historical witness. Now Peter's straight away life is completely exorcised faster than Richard Simmons on Fire Island. Strange/bizarre/macabre that "Luke" has no introduction of Peter to Jesus. That's what happens when you edit. The editor knows the story does not sound historical and more importantly already knows GMark. "John" goes full fake claimed history and fully extends Peters (story).

Joseph

"Israel will suffer the wrath of Allah [boom]" - Hasan Bitmez

The New Porphyry
JoeWallack

Re: "The Simontic Problem". "Mark's" Negative Casting of Peter

Post by JoeWallack »

4:5 And other fell on the rocky [ground], where it had not much earth; and straightway it sprang up, because it had no deepness of earth:
6 and when the sun was risen, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.
Verses
11:20 And as they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away from the roots.
21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Rabbi, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.
Compare to:
11:21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Rabbi, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.
Verses:
14:72 And straightway the second time the cock crew. And Peter called to mind the word, how that Jesus said unto him, Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept.
The Greek word is the same. The only times this author uses the offending word +

General irony = In a Gospel which should be all about remembering what Jesus said, the only related invocation is remembering Jesus' definition of failure.

Specific irony = same as above but specific for Peter, the first.The only thing he ever remembered was how to identify his own failure.

Word.

Bonus material for Solo. Note how subsequents flip the remembering to success.

Joseph
rgprice

Re: "The Simontic Problem". "Mark's" Negative Casting of Peter

Post by rgprice »

Interesting. Have you read my analysis of the Parable of the Sower? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11223

This seems to support that.