Parallels between Mark 6.14-29 and the Esther traditions.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Parallels between Mark 6.14-29 and the Esther traditions

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:1)
Ben C. Smith wrote:If the former is the case, then we are saying that Jewish exegetes read Christian texts
I tend to think that Celsus' Jew knew a or the gospels.
Yes, agreed. And I think that Jewish polemicists continued to read Christian texts on down through the ages, which is why I wrote (underlining added):
Ben C. Smith wrote:If the former is the case, then we are saying that Jewish exegetes read Christian texts (no problem yet)....
2)
Ben C. Smith wrote:5. Head on a platter.

In Mark 6.25 the daughter of Herodias asks for, and in 6.28 receives, John's head on a platter (πίναξ). The word πίναξ appears only here, in the Matthean parallels in Matthew 14.8, 11, and in the unrelated Luke 11.39 in the entire Greek Bible. Aus writes of the Judaic parallels, "The most important rabbinic passages for the Marcan narrative are Est. Rab. 4/9 on Est 1:19, and 4/11 on Est 1:21. The first relates the offer of Memucan before the king in regard to Est 1:19, 'If it pleases the king, let there go forth a royal order': 'He said to him (the king), "My lord the king, say but a word and I will bring in her head on a platter."' .... The second passage in Esther Rabbah comments on Est 1:21, 'This advice pleased the king and the princes, and the king did as Memucan proposed': 'He gave the order. And he brought in her head on a platter.'" As Aus points out a bit later, "the term translated 'platter' in the Vashti account above is the Greek loan word in Hebrew, דִּיסְקוֹס: diskos. .... It should be noted that the Old Latin translates the term for 'platter' in Mark 6:25 and 28, pinax, with the same word: discus. This is the most striking of the parallels to the Jewish midrashic texts.
I think the interpretation in Esther Rabbah is a bit over the top. The book of Esther and the story of Vashti does not need such an interpretation. In Mark the head on the platter fits perfectly, but in Esther it seems a little bit out of context. Therefore it could be easier to imagine that Mark is the source than the other way around.
Does not the head on a platter seem more at home in the Esther story than it is in Mark? The king asks Vashti to come into the banqueting room, she declines, and so he brings her severed head into the banqueting room anyway. The connection between Vashti and the banquet itself is palpable (since she was supposed to be one of its entertainments), and her being reduced to a mere head resting on one of the banqueting dishes is cruelly appropriate (from a sadistic and snubbed king's perspective, obviously): one way or another, alive or dead, she winds up on display at the feast. But, in Mark, what connection has John to the banquet itself? He is apparently just languishing in prison, and only Herodias' wrath connects him to the proceedings at all. His head on a platter carries no special meaning like Vashti's on a platter does. Whatever Marcan parallel there is to Esther 1.10-11, it applies to the dancing damsel, not to John the Baptist.

And how plausible does it seem to you that Jewish commentators would find connections to Esther in a Christian text and choose to strengthen them rather than to supplant or redirect them?

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Ben C. Smith wrote:Does not the head on a platter seem more at home in the Esther story than it is in Mark? The king asks Vashti to come into the banqueting room, she declines, and so he brings her severed head into the banqueting room anyway. The connection between Vashti and the banquet itself is palpable (since she was supposed to be one of its entertainments), and her being reduced to a mere head resting on one of the banqueting dishes is cruelly appropriate (from a sadistic and snubbed king's perspective, obviously): one way or another, alive or dead, she winds up on display at the feast. But, in Mark, what connection has John to the banquet itself? He is apparently just languishing in prison, and only Herodias' wrath connects him to the proceedings at all. His head on a platter carries no special meaning like Vashti's on a platter does. Whatever Marcan parallel there is to Esther 1.10-11, it applies to the dancing damsel, not to John the Baptist.
I agree that the theme of the head on a platter fits to the banquet in Esther, but I expressed myself poorly. My problem is not the theme, but the death of Vashti itself. The story of Esther seems to indicate that Vashti's life is not in danger.
Esther 1:19 ... that Vashti may no longer come into the presence of King Ahasuerus, and let the king give her royal position to another who is more worthy than she.
Therefore I think that the midrash is over the top and goes a bit against the story. In Mark the death of John is the goal of Herodias and functions as a foreshadowing of the death of Jesus.

Ben C. Smith wrote:Whatever Marcan parallel there is to Esther 1.10-11, it applies to the dancing damsel, not to John the Baptist.
I think the central character in Mark is Herod, neither the maiden or her mother nor John.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:
Ben C. Smith wrote:Does not the head on a platter seem more at home in the Esther story than it is in Mark? The king asks Vashti to come into the banqueting room, she declines, and so he brings her severed head into the banqueting room anyway. The connection between Vashti and the banquet itself is palpable (since she was supposed to be one of its entertainments), and her being reduced to a mere head resting on one of the banqueting dishes is cruelly appropriate (from a sadistic and snubbed king's perspective, obviously): one way or another, alive or dead, she winds up on display at the feast. But, in Mark, what connection has John to the banquet itself? He is apparently just languishing in prison, and only Herodias' wrath connects him to the proceedings at all. His head on a platter carries no special meaning like Vashti's on a platter does. Whatever Marcan parallel there is to Esther 1.10-11, it applies to the dancing damsel, not to John the Baptist.
I agree that the theme of the head on a platter fits to the banquet in Esther, but I expressed myself poorly. My problem is not the theme, but the death of Vashti itself. The story of Esther seems to indicate that Vashti's life is not in danger.
Esther 1:19 ... that Vashti may no longer come into the presence of King Ahasuerus, and let the king give her royal position to another who is more worthy than she.
Therefore I think that the midrash is over the top and goes a bit against the story.
Midrashic interpretation did that sort of thing all the time. If your argument is that the interpreters are more likely to have done it only with the text of Mark as an impetus, well, I completely disagree. Adding such details to the text, even when they seem to contradict the original intention, was par for the course.

In the Esther traditions, the head on a platter looks like the perfect punishment for Vashti failing to appear at the banquet when summoned. In Mark, it is just a grisly detail, lacking some of the punch of the version in Esther (since John was not summoned to the banquet, making his punishment simply a punishment, nothing more). This makes the Esther traditions look primary and Mark secondary, especially since we already know that Mark is drawing upon Esther here in other respects.
Ben C. Smith wrote:Whatever Marcan parallel there is to Esther 1.10-11, it applies to the dancing damsel, not to John the Baptist.
I think the central character in Mark is Herod, neither the maiden or her mother nor John.
Sure, but that does not change the fact that the Marcan parallel to Esther 1.10-11 applies to the damsel (and not to John). Vashti & Salome both = (part of) the entertainment.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Therefore I think that the midrash is over the top and goes a bit against the story. In Mark the death of John is the goal of Herodias and functions as a foreshadowing of the death of Jesus.

The problem is that the death of Vashti is widespread and relatively early in Midrash and Targum. It is difficult to see this motif as based on the story of John the Baptist even if this is a prima-facie plausible idea.

On the other hand Vashti's head on a platter is genuinely late in the Midrashic tradition and not very widespread. I just can'y regard it as plausible that it was known to Mark.

Andrew Criddle
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Ben C. Smith wrote:Midrashic interpretation did that sort of thing all the time. If your argument is that the interpreters are more likely to have done it only with the text of Mark as an impetus, well, I completely disagree. Adding such details to the text, even when they seem to contradict the original intention, was par for the course.
Okay. But here I can’t see the motivation to do this.

Ben C. Smith wrote:In the Esther traditions, the head on a platter looks like the perfect punishment for Vashti failing to appear at the banquet when summoned.
I disagree. I think the MT has the perfect punishment, an exact mirror image.

1:11 to bring Queen Vashti before the king with her royal crown
1:19 that Vashti may no longer come into the presence of King Ahasuerus, and let the king give her royal position to another

But most important is that the Rabbis disagree in the Midrash. Rab accepted the death of Vashti as a just punishment, but Samuel not. Rab Chanina had a third and unclear position.

Ben C. Smith wrote:In Mark, it is just a grisly detail, lacking some of the punch of the version in Esther (since John was not summoned to the banquet, making his punishment simply a punishment, nothing more).
I think in Mark John’s head has three functions

- as an object of Mark’s “handing over”-theme (Jesus and John’s head are handed over)
- as an example of Mark’s many distinctions between figurative and literal sense (Herodias wished John’s head in a figurative sense, the daughter in a literal sense)
- as a sharp contrast to Jesus’ “banquet” (multiplying the bread)
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

andrewcriddle wrote:The problem is that the death of Vashti is widespread and relatively early in Midrash and Targum. It is difficult to see this motif as based on the story of John the Baptist even if this is a prima-facie plausible idea.

On the other hand Vashti's head on a platter is genuinely late in the Midrashic tradition and not very widespread. I just can'y regard it as plausible that it was known to Mark.
Then how did the detail find its way from Mark into the Esther midrash? Why did the rabbis reverse engineer a Christian text with the direct result that its connections to Jewish history wind up even stronger than before?
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ben C. Smith wrote:Midrashic interpretation did that sort of thing all the time. If your argument is that the interpreters are more likely to have done it only with the text of Mark as an impetus, well, I completely disagree. Adding such details to the text, even when they seem to contradict the original intention, was par for the course.
Okay. But here I can’t see the motivation to do this.
Well, for one thing, it ramps up the danger later on, when Esther is skirting the law of appearances before the king, if that king has already killed Esther's royal predecessor. Other additions adduced by Aus tilt in the same exact direction: the pointing out of the "speculatores" guarding the king at Esther 5.2, for example, whose job descriptions included executions.

(To be clear, Vashti being killed at all is what contradicts the apparent original intent of the book. The exact manner of her death, once her death has been granted, is another matter; and, in this case, I have argued that the manner of her death seems chillingly appropriate: a bespoke death tailored especially for her particular infraction.)
Ben C. Smith wrote:In the Esther traditions, the head on a platter looks like the perfect punishment for Vashti failing to appear at the banquet when summoned.
I disagree. I think the MT has the perfect punishment, an exact mirror image.

1:19 that Vashti may no longer come into the presence of King Ahasuerus, and let the king give her royal position to another

Yes, that is fine, but my comparison is between Mark and the Esther traditions, not the Esther traditions and Esther itself. I completely agree that Vashti's death is a later development than Vashti's apparent physical safety in simply being demoted. I completely agree that the rabbinical sources were playing with a text that already existed. What is at issue is how much of this rabbinical development was or was not known to Mark.

Vashti losing her royal position in the presence of the king is a fine punishment for her. However, Vashti being beheaded, and her head being presented at the banquet instead of her living self, is also a fitting punishment (once one has decided that she ought to die, in order to increase the element of danger), and one that seems tailored precisely for her situation, not simply imported from another story as a grim detail. To the contrary, John being beheaded in Mark has no appearance of being tailored to its situation, as your list attests:
I think in Mark John’s head has three functions

- as an object of Mark’s “handing over”-theme (Jesus and John’s head are handed over)
- as an example of Mark’s many distinctions between figurative and literal sense (Herodias wished John’s head in a figurative sense, the daughter in a literal sense)
- as a sharp contrast to Jesus’ “banquet” (multiplying the bread)
There is nothing in the image of the head on a platter that specifically fulfills any of these functions. Your first point, the function of handing something over, could just as easily have been handled by handing John himself over; connecting him to the banquet simply by putting his head on a dish meant for food is very artificial compared to what we find for Vashti in the Esther traditions. I do not even see where the Marcan text makes anything of your second point (literal versus figurative): there is no real contrast between literal and figurative here, since the mother got exactly what she wanted in any case. And the contrast between banquets seems already in place, for whatever it may be worth, regardless of the exact mode of John's death, since the only connection between John and the banquet is that the scheme to kill him was hatched as a result of something that happened at the banquet. It is not as if the text even supposes that his head ever appeared at the banquet! The flow of verses 27-28 is banquet to prison to Herodias.
But most important is that the Rabbis disagree in the Midrash. Rab accepted the death of Vashti as a just punishment, but Samuel not. Rab Chanina had a third and unclear position.
The rabbis also disagreed on the occasion for the banquet. Was it a wedding feast, or was it a birthday celebration? But what is the point here? The question is whether the idea existed for Mark to pick up on, not whether that idea had won universal consent. Few ideas win universal consent.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:I disagree. I think the MT has the perfect punishment, an exact mirror image.

One more comment on this. The MT has a perfect punishment for Vashti insofar as a flipping of toggle switches would always tend to be perfect: 1. Oh, you are allowed into the presence of the king but did not come when called? Well, now you are NOT allowed in the presence of the king. 2. Oh, you have a royal position which the king wanted to exploit for entertainment? Well, now you do NOT have a royal position. The punishment is fitting, but not particularly creative. (I do not say this in order to criticize the book of Esther, which I love; but no story of any real complexity can focus on all things at once.)

Sometimes what the rabbis added to these stories is bizarre to me, motivated purely by apologetic or theological concerns, with no attention paid to the logic of the story. But there are other times in which what the rabbis added is actually very fine storytelling, and I think that this is one of those cases. Vashti's head on a platter simultaneously pumps up the danger, fits the "crime" both perfectly and creatively, and is exceedingly memorable. I can understand if it is not to your taste, as it lacks a bit in the subtlety department, but I do not think it can be argued that it is not (at least) pretty decent storytelling.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
iskander

Post by iskander »

Was Mark inspired by this divine tale?

"THE FATE OF VASHTI
Though Ahasuerus had taken every precaution to prevent intemperate indulgence in wine, his banquet revealed the essential difference between Jewish and pagan festivities. When Jews are gathered about a festal board, they discuss a Halakah, or a Haggadah, or, at the least, a simple verse from the Scriptures.

Ahasuerus and his boon companions rounded out the banquet with prurient talk. The Persians lauded the charms of the women of their people, while the Medians admitted none superior to the Median women. Then "the fool" Ahasuerus up and spake: "My wife is neither a Persian nor a Median, but a Chaldean, yet she excels all in beauty. Would you convince yourselves of the truth of my words?" "Yes," shouted the company, who were deep in their cups, "but that we may properly judge of her natural charms, let her appear before us unadorned, yes, without any apparel whatsoever," and Ahasuerus agreed to the shameless condition.
There was a particular reason why this interruption of the feast took place on the Sabbath. Vashti was in the habit of forcing Jewish maidens to spin and weave on the Sabbath day, and to add to her cruelty, she would deprive them of all their clothes. It was on the Sabbath, therefore, that her punishment overtook her, and for the same reason it was put into the king's heart to have her appear in public stripped of all clothing. (34)

Vashti recoiled from the king's revolting order. But it must not be supposed that she shrank from carrying it out because it offended her moral sense. She was not a whit better than her husband. She fairly revelled in the opportunity his command gave her to indulge in carnal pleasures once again, for it was exactly a week since she had been delivered of a child. But God sent the angel Gabriel to her to disfigure her countenance. Suddenly signs of leprosy appeared on her forehead, and the marks of other diseases on her person. (35) In this state it was impossible for her to show herself to the king. She made a virtue of necessity, and worded her refusal to appear before him arrogantly: "Say to Ahasuerus: 'O thou fool and madman! Hast thou lost thy reason by too much drinking?
Also, it was Daniel who, by pronouncing the Name of God, had caused the beauty of Vashti to vanish, and her face to be marred. (45) In consequence of all this, Daniel advised, not only that Vashti should be cast off, but that she should be made harmless forever by the hangman's hand. His advice was endorsed by his colleagues, and approved by the king. That the king might not delay execution of the death sentence, and Daniel himself thus incur danger to his own life, he made Ahasuerus swear the most solemn oath known to the Persians, that it would be carried out forthwith

The execution of Vashti brought most disastrous consequences in its train. His whole empire, which is tantamount to saying the whole world, rose against Ahasuerus. The widespread rebellion was put down only after his marriage with Esther, but not before it "

The death of Vashti was not undeserved punishment, for it had been she who had prevented the king from giving his consent to the rebuilding of the Temple. "Wilt thou rebuild the Temple," said she, reproachfully, "which my ancestors destroyed?" (48).
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ben C. Smith wrote:Parallels with Jewish Midrash.

But Mark 6.14-29 also has extensive parallels in various Jewish traditions about Esther. What are we to make of those?

1. Perplexity.

In Mark 6.20 it is said that the king, whenever he heard John the Baptist speak, was much perplexed (πολλὰ ἠπόρει) and heard him pleasurably. Translations sometimes try to sneak in an element of contrast here ("but he heard him pleasurably," or "and yet he heard him pleasurably") which is not in the original Greek. This is the only time the verb appears in the gospel of Mark, and it is not entirely clear in context why Herod is perplexed; one finds oneself venturing psychological explanations (Herod was baffled by John, and yet liked him anyway, with a strange fascination, et cetera). The scribes must not have understood it very well, either, since there is a variant reading: πολλὰ ἐποίει (he did it much/often). Now, in Esther 1.10 the king commands seven eunuchs to bring Vashti in to the banquet, on display, and the name of the first eunuch is Mehuman (מְהוּמָן). As Aus explains, "Judaic commentators could not resist a play on this word. They also maintained that the 'king' who spoke in 1:10 was not Ahasuerus, but God (the 'King of Kings'). Midrash Abba Gorion on this verse, for example, states: '"He (the King) spoke to Mehuman." This is the angel appointed over confusion (מְהוּמָה).' Leqash Tob on this verse also reads מְהוּמָה. Aggadat Esther on 1:10 is fuller: 'Mehuman': This is the angel appointed over confusion (מְהוּמָה) and over wrath (חֵמָה)." This pun on the name Mehuman from the story of Esther, imparting perplexity or confusion to Ahasuerus, would explain why Herod is also perplexed or confused in the story of John's beheading.

2. A birthday banquet.

In Mark 6.21 the occasion for the feast (δεῖπνον) is Herod's birthday (γενέσια). The Greek term for birthday appears only here and in the parallel in Matthew 14.6 in the entire Greek Bible. The Greek version of Esther itself calls the banquet a δοχή, but in the alpha text the dinner that Esther offers in 5.5 is called both a δοχή and a δεῖπνον. The occasion for Ahasuerus'/Artaxerxes' celebration is not given in the book of Esther. However, later Jewish commentators fill in this detail, some of them opting for the wedding feast for the king and Vashti, others for the king's birthday. Aus lists Midrash Abba Gorion, Panim Achérim B, Leqach Tob, Aggadat Esther, and Yalqut Shim'oni as opting for his birthday.

3. Lewd dancing.

In Mark 6.22 the daughter of Herodias dances for the guests. The book of Esther has nothing about dancing, but Aus writes, "Midrash Abba Gorion on Est 1:6, for example, states: 'And there was pure purple under the feet of the attendants, and they danced (מְרַ קְדִּין) before those reclining.'" He notes a similar detail about dancing in Panim Achérim 2 before going on to discuss Jewish views of Persian and Median attitudes toward feasting and dancing; he sums up: "This Persian/Median usage is reflected in Pirq. R. El. 49, which relates regarding Est 1:8, 10-12, and 19 the following: 'Rabbi Jose said: It was the universal custom of the kings of Media when they were eating and drinking to cause their women to come before them stark naked, playing and dancing..., in order to see the beauty of their figures. When the wine entered the heart of Ahasuerus, he wished to act in this manner with Vashti the queen. She was the daughter of a king, and was not willing to do this. He decreed concerning her, and she was slain.'"

4. The executioner/bodyguard.

The word for executioner/bodyguard in Mark 6.27 is σπεκουλάτωρ, a Latin loan word: speculator. Aus observes that this Greek word is found nowhere else in the New Testament, the LXX, Philo, or Josephus. It is quite rare. Interestingly, however, it also entered rabbinic Hebrew and Aramaic as a loanword. Aus writes, "In Panim Achérim 2 on Est 6:1 Mordecai sees Haman coming, 'and the סְפִקְלָטוֹר with him.'" Here the bodyguard of the king is called by the same term as in Mark 6:27. ... The second targum on Est 5:2 relates that 'when the king saw Queen Esther standing in the court, she found favor and grace in his sight. But the royal executioners (אִסְפַּקְלְטוֹרֵי) who stood there were ready to kill, to kill Esther.'" Again, the same Latin loan word is used of these men.

5. Head on a platter.

In Mark 6.25 the daughter of Herodias asks for, and in 6.28 receives, John's head on a platter (πίναξ). The word πίναξ appears only here, in the Matthean parallels in Matthew 14.8, 11, and in the unrelated Luke 11.39 in the entire Greek Bible. Aus writes of the Judaic parallels, "The most important rabbinic passages for the Marcan narrative are Est. Rab. 4/9 on Est 1:19, and 4/11 on Est 1:21. The first relates the offer of Memucan before the king in regard to Est 1:19, 'If it pleases the king, let there go forth a royal order': 'He said to him (the king), "My lord the king, say but a word and I will bring in her head on a platter."' .... The second passage in Esther Rabbah comments on Est 1:21, 'This advice pleased the king and the princes, and the king did as Memucan proposed': 'He gave the order. And he brought in her head on a platter.'" As Aus points out a bit later, "the term translated 'platter' in the Vashti account above is the Greek loan word in Hebrew, דִּיסְקוֹס: diskos. .... It should be noted that the Old Latin translates the term for 'platter' in Mark 6:25 and 28, pinax, with the same word: discus. This is the most striking of the parallels to the Jewish midrashic texts.

6. Grief over innocence.

In Mark 6.26 the king is grieved (περίλυπος) at having to slay John, and we already know from 6.20 that Herod Antipas regards John as righteous and holy. In Esther 1.12 the king grieves (λυπέω) that Vashti will not come when summoned. But the midrashic material is even closer, with Esther Rabbah 5.2 stating: "After he had killed her he began to feel remorse, because he realized that she had acted properly." The Second Targum on Esther 2.1 says that "she herself did not deserve the punishment of death."
I want to bring the full raft of parallels back into focus a bit, since it can be all too easy to break them down and look at them one at a time.

Not all of these parallels are of equal merit, of course. I can, for example, easily imagine both Mark and the rabbinical commentators independently creating an occasion for the feast (of which marriage and birthdays would be the two most obvious choices) and adding lewd pagan dancing into the mix. Nor do I think that Herod's grief over John's innocence admits of a ready directional argument compared to Ahasuerus' grief over Vashti's, other than the same weirdness I have already adduced in imagining Jewish commentators deliberately strengthening the connections between Mark and Esther for some reason (which argument would apply to all 6 connections, regardless of other considerations of internal logic).

But Herod's perplexity in Mark 6.20 has no obvious rationale in context (not without adding psychological interpretations that the text just does not give us), and its ultimate derivation from a pun on the name Mehuman in the Esther story would make more directional sense than rabbinical commentators importing it from Mark into Esther and chancing to find a suitable pun there to which to attach it; it would also make more sense than mere coincidence, especially since the word in question appears only here in Mark. A similar observation applies to the speculator of Mark 6.27: this word is rare in the Greek of the time, yet it appears as a loanword in connection with Ahasuerus' personal bodyguard in the Esther materials; this makes more sense in one direction than in the other. The head on a platter is, as I have already argued, more at home as a cruelly appropriate punishment for Vashti failing to appear at the banquet than it is as a punishment for John.

I think that the internal arguments are definitively in favor of the Jewish traditions claiming priority over the Marcan story of Herod's banquet. The catch, of course, is the external evidence, which is lacking for the Jewish traditions until much, much later than the text of Mark is attested. My thoughts on this dilemma are pretty simple: we possess only a fraction of what was written in antiquity. A claim that the relevant Jewish traditions postdate Mark simply because their present attestation postdates Mark is an implicit claim that those relevant Jewish traditions appeared nowhere in any of the chronologically appropriate literature (or oral culture, for that matter) that is now (possibly forever) lost to us. Are we in a position to make such a claim? Of course, if there is no internal evidence of a connection or a direction of influence to assess, then the question never comes up in the first place. But, once we decide that we have internal evidence of a kind that suggests both a connection and a direction, what is there in the external evidence to inspire confidence that something did not exist at a certain date?

I am reminded of a recent thread that I posted about a variant reading in Luke 16.19: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2503. The naming of the rich man as Nineue is attested by the Sahidic translation, a scholion in two Greek minuscule manuscripts dated (respectively) to centuries XI and XII, and ƿ75. If we did not possess ƿ75, would we not be tempted to suspect that this name arose only much later, based on the other external evidence? Obviously, in that case I am aware of no internal evidence to suggest a time frame or a direction of influence, but the point is that, if we find such internal evidence, it may be a mistake to overrule it based on our external evidence, most of which is lost to us.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ