Naked with Jesus = Apostleship

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
iskander

Re: Naked with Jesus = Apostleship

Post by iskander »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:.
First, a good indication could be possibly the wording
14:51 And a young man (νεανίσκος) followed him, with nothing but a linen cloth about his body. And they seized him, 52 but he left the linen cloth and ran away naked.
16:5 And entering the tomb, they saw a young man (νεανίσκον) sitting on the right side, dressed in a white robe (στολὴν), and they were alarmed.
robe = στολή (stolé)
apostle = ἀπόστολος = ἀπό-στολος (apostolos)
Please advise
In ,Galatians, by J. Louis Martyn , page 92 he writes:
Here, however, it is the verb apostello, " to send out" that is of importance.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

So back to the main argument here.

1. it is sometimes argued by myopic people that Secret Mark is a fake
2. the underlying assumption is inevitably that the gospel of Mark and the canonical gospels have a proper 'form' which is correctly represented in the existing canon
3. for the assumption that Clement 'couldn't' have had a 'secret' gospel of Mark to work you'd expect to find 'stability' in his canon of Pauline letters. It is just assumed that when Clement cites from Romans, Corinthians and the rest these will match up with our texts of the same name
4. the reality is however that his Pauline canon shows the same kind of instability and massive differences from our received text.

As such, given the fact he has an edition of the Pauline letters that differs massively from our received canon of Pauline letters, it stands to reason that when we hear him say he has another gospel of Mark we should be receptive to the idea. That the gospel of Mark and the epistle of Paul bear some sort of relation with one another is the cornerstone of the Marcionite tradition. Interestingly again Clement's text of the Pauline letters bears all the signs of a pre-orthodox anti-Marcionite reaction that we see in Tertullian's Against Marcion. To that end, whatever the Marcionites were and however their tradition was defined Clement's Alexandrian canon is related to that pre-orthodox tradition.

To this end, I think it is worth continuing to investigate (a) how Paul understood himself to have become an 'apostle' and (b) signs that 'nudity' (= the same word in Aramaic) might have been a part of it because it goes back to Paul being the character in Secret Mark/Mark chapter 10.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

iskander wrote:Please advise
In ,Galatians, by J. Louis Martin , page 92 he writes:
ἀποστέλλω (apostelló)
649 apostéllō (from 575 /apó, "away from" and 4724 /stéllō, "send") – properly, send away, i.e. commission; (passive) "sent on a defined mission by a superior."
στολή (stolé)
Word Origin
from stelló
στέλλω (stelló)
στέλλω: (German stellen; (cf. Greek στήλη, στολή, etc.; Latinstlocus (locus); English stall, etc.; Curtius, § 218; Fick Part 1:246; Part 4:274)); from Homer down;

1. to set, place, set in order, arrange; to fit out, to prepare, equip;
I think etymologically
- an apostle is "one who is set apart"
- and a stole is "the equipment, fitting out"
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Secret Alias wrote:1. it is sometimes argued by myopic people that Secret Mark is a fake
As always, I belong to this group :mrgreen:
iskander

Post by iskander »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:
iskander wrote:Please advise
In ,Galatians, by J. Louis Martin , page 92 he writes:
ἀποστέλλω (apostelló)
649 apostéllō (from 575 /apó, "away from" and 4724 /stéllō, "send") – properly, send away, i.e. commission; (passive) "sent on a defined mission by a superior."
στολή (stolé)
Word Origin
from stelló
στέλλω (stelló)
στέλλω: (German stellen; (cf. Greek στήλη, στολή, etc.; Latinstlocus (locus); English stall, etc.; Curtius, § 218; Fick Part 1:246; Part 4:274)); from Homer down;

1. to set, place, set in order, arrange; to fit out, to prepare, equip;
I think etymologically

- an apostle is "one who is set apart"
- and a stole is "the equipment, fitting out"
Thank you :D
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

As always, I belong to this group
It would be nice to see that this opinion is based on facts related to the document rather than a selfish desire to use canonical Mark as the measure to all things merely because you invested a lot of time studying canonical Mark. But I won't hold my breath. The longer I live the less reason I see humanity as a whole deserving being spared from holocausts. Your love of canonical Mark is merely sublimated self-love. L'intérêt parle toutes sortes de langues, et joue toutes sortes de personnages, même celui de désintéressé. (Maxim 38).
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

La Rochefoucauld and Heraclitus are the best. Twin peaks of literary greatness and economy.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Secret Alias wrote: 1. it is sometimes argued by myopic people that Secret Mark is a fake

This is one of your wild goose chases and a red herring.

While authenticity may have the scales tipped slightly over that of its fake status.

The context of the letter as a whole is in question due to supposed Clements own admissions.

"But the many other things about which you wrote both seem to be and are falsifications."

Which leaves the material in whole compromised.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Again what the fuck does any of this you've just said mean. Once again you try to settle complex issues with a sledgehammer merely because you're not up to the task of discussing things in any great detail.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

You would actually have to have the intellect to comprehend what a red herring is, and why it is used dishonestly by desperate ego driven agendas .