the definite article "*the* Son of man" v 'son of man'

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

the definite article "*the* Son of man" v 'son of man'

Post by MrMacSon »

Interpretation of the use of "the Son of man" in the New Testament has remained challenging and after 150 years of debate no consensus on the issue has emerged among scholars.[1][2]

The expression "the Son of man" occurs 81 times in the Greek text of the four Canonical gospels, and is used only in the sayings of Jesus.[3]

The singular Hebrew expression "son of man" (בן–אדם i.e. ben-'adam) also appears in the Hebrew Bible over a hundred times.[4]

The use of the definite article in "the Son of man" in the Koine Greek of the Christian gospels is novel and, before its use there, no records of its use in any of the surviving Greek documents of antiquity exist.[3] Géza Vermès has stated that the use of "the Son of man" in the Christian gospels is unrelated to Hebrew Bible usages - there is no example of "the son of man" in Hebrew texts.[5]

For centuries, the Christological perspective on 'Son of man' has been seen as a possible counterpart to that of 'Son of God' and, just as 'Son of God' affirms the divinity of Jesus, in a number of cases 'Son of man' [supposedly] 'affirms' his humanity.[6] However, while [professing] Jesus as the Son of God has been an essential element of Christian creeds since the Apostolic age, such 'professions' do not apply to 'Son of man' and the proclamation of Jesus as 'the Son of man' has never been an article of faith in Christianity.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_man_(Christianity)
  • 1 James DG Dunn (2003) Jesus Remembered: Christianity in the Making, ISBN 0802839312 pp. 724-725

2 Delbert Royce Burkett (2000) The Son of Man Debate: A History and Evaluation, Cambridge Univ Press ISBN 0521663067, pp. 3-5

3 Larry W. Hurtado (2005) Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity, ISBN 0-8028-3167-2 Wm B. Eerdmans; pp. 290-293

4 The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia: Q-Z by Geoffrey W. Bromiley (1995) ISBN 0802837840 p. 574

5 Vermès, Géza (2003) Jesus in his Jewish context Minneapolis: Fortress Press. ISBN 0-8006-3623-6 p. 82

6 Alister E. McGrath (2010) Christian Theology: An Introduction, ISBN 1-4443-3514-6 p. 270

7 A J B Higgins (2002) Jesus and the Son of Man, ISBN 0-227-17221-3 pp. 13-15
Géza Vermès "suggests that the term ['Son of man'] originates in Aramaic — ברנש - bar nash/bar nasha.[5] He concludes that in these sources "son of man" is a regular expression for man in general and often serves as an indefinite pronoun: in none of the extant texts does "son of man" figure as a title."

Larry Hurtado has commented on Vermès' commentary -
“The Use of Bar Nasha/Bar Nash in Jewish Aramaic,” in 'An Aramaic Approach to the Gospels and Acts', by Matthew Black (3rd ed.; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1967), 310-30, was another significant contribution. --Vermès showed that “son of man” (Aramaic Bar enash or Bar nash) was used simply to designate a human being (as the Hebrew equivalent is used [in] the OT). His further contention that the emphatic form, bar (e)nasha, was used in first-century Aramaic* simply to designate oneself, unfortunately still lacks any actual examples in relevant texts. https://larryhurtado.wordpress.com/2011 ... on-of-man/

* my emphasis
Extant versions of Judaic apocryphal and deuterocanonical works, such as the 'Similitudes of Enoch' and 4 Ezra, imply the term "Son of Man" meant or stood for a Messiah or 'the Messiah'. Yet -
Whether these messianic "Son of Man" references are genuinely Jewish or the result of Christian interpolation is disputed.[4] An example of a disputed section is that of The Similitudes (1 Enoch 37-71) which uses Daniel 7 to produce an unparalleled messianic 'Son of Man' -- pre-existent and hidden yet ultimately revealed, functioning as judge, vindicator of righteousness, and universal ruler.[5] The Enochic messianic figure is an individual representing a group, (the "Righteous One" who represents "the righteous", the 'Elect One' representing 'the elect'); but in 4 Ezra 13 (also called 2 Esdras) he becomes an individual man.[6][7][8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_ma ... depigrapha

4 G. Nickelsburg, "Son of Man" in Anchor Bible Dictionary 6.138.
Delbert Burkett says that Rudolf Bultmann saw the phrase's use by Jesus as being inserted by the early Church -
  • Burkett, Delbert (2000). The Son of Man Debate: A History and Evaluation. Cambridge University Press. pp. 121, 124
Alister E. McGrath, in Christian Theology: An Introduction, also refers to Bultman saying this -
"Bultman suggested that the early church thus merged "Jesus" and the 'Son of Man', understanding them to be one and the same. The early church thus invented the application of the term ["the son of man"] to Jesus" --p.270
  • (It seems a pity that McGrath put 'the' in front of his reference to the OT term 'Son of Man' there (as it does not accurately represent pre-Christian terminology cf. Christian terminology))
Last edited by MrMacSon on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrMacSon

Re: the definite article "*the* Son of man" v 'son of man'

Post by MrMacSon »

The term (בן–אדם - i.e. ben-'adam) occurs 107 times in the Hebrew Bible, mostly in Ezekiel -
It is used in three main ways: (i) as a form of address (Ezekiel); (ii) to contrast the lowly status of humanity against the permanence and exulted dignity of God and the angels (Numbers 23:19, Psalm 8:4); and (iii) as a future eschatological figure whose coming will signal the end of history and the time of God's judgement (Daniel 8:17).

... Daniel 7:13-14 describes how the "Ancient of Days" (God) gives dominion over the earth to "one like a son of man," who is later explained as standing for "the saints of the Most High" (7:18, 21-22) and "the people of the saints of the Most High" (7:27).

Son of man
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

This table is not exhaustive, as all I did was search for the English phrase "Son of Man" in the RSV, then look at the corresponding Hebrew (or Aramaic) as in the WTT version in Bibleworks and a transliteration of the Hebrew words, also from Bibleworks' BHT module.

RSV
Rahlfs LXX
WTT
Transliterated
RSV Numbers 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should repent. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfil it? (BGT Num 23:19) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Num 23:19) ובן־אדם (BHT Num 23:19) ûben-´ädäm
RSV Job 25:6 how much less man, who is a maggot, and the son of man, who is a worm!" (BGT Job 25:6) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Job 25:6) ובן־אדם (BHT Job 25:6) ûben-´ädäm
RSV Job 35:8 Your wickedness concerns a man like yourself, and your righteousness a son of man. (BGT Job 35:8) υἱῷ ἀνθρώπου (WTT Job 35:8) ולבן־אדם (BHT Job 35:8) ûlüben-´ädäm
RSV Psalm 8:4 what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him? (BGT Psa 8:5) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Psa 8:5) ובן־אדם (BHT Psa 8:5) ûben-´ädäm
RSV Psalm 80:17 But let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand, the son of man whom thou hast made strong for thyself! (BGT Psa 79:18) υἱὸν ἀνθρώπου (WTT Psa 80:18) על־אישׁ (BHT Psa 80:18) `al-Ben-´ädäm
RSV Psalm 144:3 O LORD, what is man that thou dost regard him, or the son of man that thou dost think of him? (BGT Psa 143:3) ἢ υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Psa 144:3) בן־אנושׁ (BHT Psa 144:3) Ben-´énôš
RSV Psalm 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no help. (BGT Psa 145:3) υἱοὺς ἀνθρώπων (WTT Psa 146:3) בבן־אדם (BHT Psa 146:3) Büben-´ädäm
RSV Isaiah 51:12 "I, I am he that comforts you; who are you that you are afraid of man who dies, of the son of man who is made like grass, (BGT Isa 51:12) υἱοῦ ἀνθρώπου (WTT Isa 51:12) מאנושׁ (BHT Isa 51:12) ûmiBBen-´ädäm
RSV Isaiah 56:2 Blessed is the man who does this, and the son of man who holds it fast, who keeps the sabbath, not profaning it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil." (BGT Isa 56:2) ἄνθρωπος (WTT Isa 56:2) ובן־אדם (BHT Isa 56:2) ûben-´ädäm
RSV Jeremiah 50:40 As when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighbor cities, says the LORD, so no man shall dwell there, and no son of man shall sojourn in her. (BGT Jer 27:40) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Jer 50:40) בן־אדם (BHT Jer 50:40) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Jeremiah 51:43 Her cities have become a horror, a land of drought and a desert, a land in which no one dwells, and through which no son of man passes. (BGT Jer 28:43) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Jer 51:43) בן־אדם (BHT Jer 51:43) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 2:1 And he said to me, "Son of man, stand upon your feet, and I will speak with you." (BGT Eze 2:1) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT Eze 2:1) בן־אדם (BHT Eze 2:1) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 2:3 And he said to me, "Son of man, I send you to the people of Israel, to a nation of rebels, who have rebelled against me; they and their fathers have transgressed against me to this very day. (BGT Eze 2:3) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT Eze 2:3) בן־אדם (BHT Eze 2:3) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 2:6 And you, son of man, be not afraid of them, nor be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns are with you and you sit upon scorpions; be not afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house. (BGT Eze 2:6) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT Eze 2:6) בן־אדם (BHT Eze 2:6) ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 2:8 "But you, son of man, hear what I say to you; be not rebellious like that rebellious house; open your mouth, and eat what I give you." (BGT Eze 2:8) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT Eze 2:8) בן־אדם (BHT Eze 2:8) ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 3:1 And he said to me, "Son of man, eat what is offered to you; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel." (BGT Eze 3:1) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT Eze 3:1) בן־אדם (BHT Eze 3:1) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 3:3 And he said to me, "Son of man, eat this scroll that I give you and fill your stomach with it." Then I ate it; and it was in my mouth as sweet as honey. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 3:4 And he said to me, "Son of man, go, get you to the house of Israel, and speak with my words to them. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 3:10 Moreover he said to me, "Son of man, all my words that I shall speak to you receive in your heart, and hear with your ears. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 3:17 "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 3:25 And you, O son of man, behold, cords will be placed upon you, and you shall be bound with them, so that you cannot go out among the people; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 4:1 "And you, O son of man, take a brick and lay it before you, and portray upon it a city, even Jerusalem; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 4:16 Moreover he said to me, "Son of man, behold, I will break the staff of bread in Jerusalem; they shall eat bread by weight and with fearfulness; and they shall drink water by measure and in dismay. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 5:1 "And you, O son of man, take a sharp sword; use it as a barber's razor and pass it over your head and your beard; then take balances for weighing, and divide the hair. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 6:2 "Son of man, set your face toward the mountains of Israel, and prophesy against them, (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 7:2 "And you, O son of man, thus says the Lord GOD to the land of Israel: An end! The end has come upon the four corners of the land. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 8:5 Then he said to me, "Son of man, lift up your eyes now in the direction of the north." So I lifted up my eyes toward the north, and behold, north of the altar gate, in the entrance, was this image of jealousy. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 8:6 And he said to me, "Son of man, do you see what they are doing, the great abominations that the house of Israel are committing here, to drive me far from my sanctuary? But you will see still greater abominations." (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 8:8 Then said he to me, "Son of man, dig in the wall"; and when I dug in the wall, lo, there was a door. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 8:12 Then he said to me, "Son of man, have you seen what the elders of the house of Israel are doing in the dark, every man in his room of pictures? For they say, `The LORD does not see us, the LORD has forsaken the land.'" (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 8:15 Then he said to me, "Have you seen this, O son of man? You will see still greater abominations than these." (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 8:17 Then he said to me, "Have you seen this, O son of man? Is it too slight a thing for the house of Judah to commit the abominations which they commit here, that they should fill the land with violence, and provoke me further to anger? Lo, they put the branch to their nose. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 11:2 And he said to me, "Son of man, these are the men who devise iniquity and who give wicked counsel in this city; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 11:4 Therefore prophesy against them, prophesy, O son of man." (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 11:15 "Son of man, your brethren, even your brethren, your fellow exiles, the whole house of Israel, all of them, are those of whom the inhabitants of Jerusalem have said, `They have gone far from the LORD; to us this land is given for a possession.' (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 12:2 "Son of man, you dwell in the midst of a rebellious house, who have eyes to see, but see not, who have ears to hear, but hear not; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 12:3 for they are a rebellious house. Therefore, son of man, prepare for yourself an exile's baggage, and go into exile by day in their sight; you shall go like an exile from your place to another place in their sight. Perhaps they will understand, though they are a rebellious house. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 12:9 "Son of man, has not the house of Israel, the rebellious house, said to you, `What are you doing?' (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 12:18 "Son of man, eat your bread with quaking, and drink water with trembling and with fearfulness; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 12:22 "Son of man, what is this proverb that you have about the land of Israel, saying, `The days grow long, and every vision comes to nought'? (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 12:27 "Son of man, behold, they of the house of Israel say, `The vision that he sees is for many days hence, and he prophesies of times far off.' (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 13:2 "Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel, prophesy and say to those who prophesy out of their own minds: `Hear the word of the LORD!' (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 13:17 "And you, son of man, set your face against the daughters of your people, who prophesy out of their own minds; prophesy against them (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 14:3 "Son of man, these men have taken their idols into their hearts, and set the stumbling block of their iniquity before their faces; should I let myself be inquired of at all by them? (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 14:13 "Son of man, when a land sins against me by acting faithlessly, and I stretch out my hand against it, and break its staff of bread and send famine upon it, and cut off from it man and beast, (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 15:2 "Son of man, how does the wood of the vine surpass any wood, the vine branch which is among the trees of the forest? (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 16:2 "Son of man, make known to Jerusalem her abominations, (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 17:2 "Son of man, propound a riddle, and speak an allegory to the house of Israel; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 20:3 "Son of man, speak to the elders of Israel, and say to them, Thus says the Lord GOD, Is it to inquire of me that you come? As I live, says the Lord GOD, I will not be inquired of by you. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 20:4 Will you judge them, son of man, will you judge them? Then let them know the abominations of their fathers, (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 20:27 "Therefore, son of man, speak to the house of Israel and say to them, Thus says the Lord GOD: In this again your fathers blasphemed me, by dealing treacherously with me. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 20:46 "Son of man, set your face toward the south, preach against the south, and prophesy against the forest land in the Negeb; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 21:2 "Son of man, set your face toward Jerusalem and preach against the sanctuaries; prophesy against the land of Israel (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 21:6 Sigh therefore, son of man; sigh with breaking heart and bitter grief before their eyes. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 21:9 "Son of man, prophesy and say, Thus says the Lord, Say: A sword, a sword is sharpened and also polished, (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 21:12 Cry and wail, son of man, for it is against my people; it is against all the princes of Israel; they are delivered over to the sword with my people. Smite therefore upon your thigh. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 21:14 "Prophesy therefore, son of man; clap your hands and let the sword come down twice, yea thrice, the sword for those to be slain; it is the sword for the great slaughter, which encompasses them, (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 21:19 "Son of man, mark two ways for the sword of the king of Babylon to come; both of them shall come forth from the same land. And make a signpost, make it at the head of the way to a city; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 21:28 "And you, son of man, prophesy, and say, Thus says the Lord GOD concerning the Ammonites, and concerning their reproach; say, A sword, a sword is drawn for the slaughter, it is polished to glitter and to flash like lightning -- (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 22:2 "And you, son of man, will you judge, will you judge the bloody city? Then declare to her all her abominable deeds. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 22:18 "Son of man, the house of Israel has become dross to me; all of them, silver and bronze and tin and iron and lead in the furnace, have become dross. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 22:24 "Son of man, say to her, You are a land that is not cleansed, or rained upon in the day of indignation. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 23:2 "Son of man, there were two women, the daughters of one mother; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 23:36 The LORD said to me: "Son of man, will you judge Oholah and Oholibah? Then declare to them their abominable deeds. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 24:2 "Son of man, write down the name of this day, this very day. The king of Babylon has laid siege to Jerusalem this very day. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 24:16 "Son of man, behold, I am about to take the delight of your eyes away from you at a stroke; yet you shall not mourn or weep nor shall your tears run down. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 24:25 "And you, son of man, on the day when I take from them their stronghold, their joy and glory, the delight of their eyes and their heart's desire, and also their sons and daughters, (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 25:2 "Son of man, set your face toward the Ammonites, and prophesy against them. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 26:2 "Son of man, because Tyre said concerning Jerusalem, `Aha, the gate of the peoples is broken, it has swung open to me; I shall be replenished, now that she is laid waste,' (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 27:2 "Now you, son of man, raise a lamentation over Tyre, (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 28:2 "Son of man, say to the prince of Tyre, Thus says the Lord GOD: "Because your heart is proud, and you have said, `I am a god, I sit in the seat of the gods, in the heart of the seas,' yet you are but a man, and no god, though you consider yourself as wise as a god -- (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 28:12 "Son of man, raise a lamentation over the king of Tyre, and say to him, Thus says the Lord GOD: "You were the signet of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 28:21 "Son of man, set your face toward Sidon, and prophesy against her (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 29:2 "Son of man, set your face against Pharaoh king of Egypt, and prophesy against him and against all Egypt; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 29:18 "Son of man, Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon made his army labor hard against Tyre; every head was made bald and every shoulder was rubbed bare; yet neither he nor his army got anything from Tyre to pay for the labor that he had performed against it. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 30:2 "Son of man, prophesy, and say, Thus says the Lord GOD: "Wail, `Alas for the day!' (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 30:21 "Son of man, I have broken the arm of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and lo, it has not been bound up, to heal it by binding it with a bandage, so that it may become strong to wield the sword. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 31:2 "Son of man, say to Pharaoh king of Egypt and to his multitude: "Whom are you like in your greatness? (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 32:2 "Son of man, raise a lamentation over Pharaoh king of Egypt, and say to him: "You consider yourself a lion among the nations, but you are like a dragon in the seas; you burst forth in your rivers, trouble the waters with your feet, and foul their rivers. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 32:18 "Son of man, wail over the multitude of Egypt, and send them down, her and the daughters of majestic nations, to the nether world, to those who have gone down to the Pit: (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 33:2 "Son of man, speak to your people and say to them, If I bring the sword upon a land, and the people of the land take a man from among them, and make him their watchman; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 33:7 "So you, son of man, I have made a watchman for the house of Israel; whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 33:10 "And you, son of man, say to the house of Israel, Thus have you said: `Our transgressions and our sins are upon us, and we waste away because of them; how then can we live?' (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 33:12 And you, son of man, say to your people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him when he transgresses; and as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall by it when he turns from his wickedness; and the righteous shall not be able to live by his righteousness when he sins. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 33:24 "Son of man, the inhabitants of these waste places in the land of Israel keep saying, `Abraham was only one man, yet he got possession of the land; but we are many; the land is surely given us to possess.' (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 33:30 "As for you, son of man, your people who talk together about you by the walls and at the doors of the houses, say to one another, each to his brother, `Come, and hear what the word is that comes forth from the LORD.' (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 34:2 "Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, prophesy, and say to them, even to the shepherds, Thus says the Lord GOD: Ho, shepherds of Israel who have been feeding yourselves! Should not shepherds feed the sheep? (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 35:2 "Son of man, set your face against Mount Seir, and prophesy against it, (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 36:1 "And you, son of man, prophesy to the mountains of Israel, and say, O mountains of Israel, hear the word of the LORD. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 36:17 "Son of man, when the house of Israel dwelt in their own land, they defiled it by their ways and their doings; their conduct before me was like the uncleanness of a woman in her impurity. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 37:3 And he said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" And I answered, "O Lord GOD, thou knowest." (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 37:9 Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, Thus says the Lord GOD: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live." (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 37:11 Then he said to me, "Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. Behold, they say, `Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are clean cut off.' (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 37:16 "Son of man, take a stick and write on it, `For Judah, and the children of Israel associated with him'; then take another stick and write upon it, `For Joseph (the stick of Ephraim) and all the house of Israel associated with him'; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 38:2 "Son of man, set your face toward Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 38:14 "Therefore, son of man, prophesy, and say to Gog, Thus says the Lord GOD: On that day when my people Israel are dwelling securely, you will bestir yourself (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 39:1 "And you, son of man, prophesy against Gog, and say, Thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal; (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 39:17 "As for you, son of man, thus says the Lord GOD: Speak to the birds of every sort and to all beasts of the field, `Assemble and come, gather from all sides to the sacrificial feast which I am preparing for you, a great sacrificial feast upon the mountains of Israel, and you shall eat flesh and drink blood. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 40:4 And the man said to me, "Son of man, look with your eyes, and hear with your ears, and set your mind upon all that I shall show you, for you were brought here in order that I might show it to you; declare all that you see to the house of Israel." (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 43:7 and he said to me, "Son of man, this is the place of my throne and the place of the soles of my feet, where I will dwell in the midst of the people of Israel for ever. And the house of Israel shall no more defile my holy name, neither they, nor their kings, by their harlotry, and by the dead bodies of their kings, (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 43:10 "And you, son of man, describe to the house of Israel the temple and its appearance and plan, that they may be ashamed of their iniquities. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 43:18 And he said to me, "Son of man, thus says the Lord GOD: These are the ordinances for the altar: On the day when it is erected for offering burnt offerings upon it and for throwing blood against it, (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 44:5 And the LORD said to me, "Son of man, mark well, see with your eyes, and hear with your ears all that I shall tell you concerning all the ordinances of the temple of the LORD and all its laws; and mark well those who may be admitted to the temple and all those who are to be excluded from the sanctuary. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Ezekiel 47:6 And he said to me, "Son of man, have you seen this?" Then he led me back along the bank of the river. (BGT) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT) בן־אדם (BHT) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Daniel 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him. (BGT Dan 7:13, incl Theodotion) ὡς υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Dan 7:13, Aramaic) כבר אנשׁ (BHT Dan 7:13) Kübar ´énäš
RSV Daniel 8:17 So he came near where I stood; and when he came, I was frightened and fell upon my face. But he said to me, "Understand, O son of man, that the vision is for the time of the end." (BGT Dan 8:17, incl Theodotion) υἱὲ ἀνθρώπου (WTT Dan 8:17, Hebrew) בן־אדם (BHT Dan 8:17) Ben-´ädäm
RSV Sirach 17:30 For all things cannot be in men, since a son of man is not immortal. (BGT Sir 17:30) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου Not Available (VUL Sir 17:29) filius hominis

These are very general but you can see the truth about the Hebrew not using the definite article with either "son" or "man". Although I did not check every single instance, in Ezekiel the Hebrew seems to be בן־אדם (ben-´ädäm), and the Lxx Greek uses the vocative without any definite article, a total of 93 times! I cannot vouch for the accuracy of that transliterated Hebrew, or that I correctly copied the right letters from the Hebrew text (I don't read Hebrew).

DCH (sleepy time)
Last edited by DCHindley on Wed May 04, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

When you look at the NT (except for Revelation and one passage each in John and Hebrews) it is always some form of "the son of the man":

RSV
Rahlfs LXX
Notes
RSV Matthew 8:20 And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head." (BGT Mat 8:20) ὁ δὲ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 9:6 But that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" -- he then said to the paralytic -- "Rise, take up your bed and go home." (BGT Mat 9:6) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 10:23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next; for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel, before the Son of man comes. (BGT Mat 10:23) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 11:19 the Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, `Behold, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds." (BGT Mat 11:19) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 12:8 For the Son of man is lord of the sabbath." (BGT Mat 12:8) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 12:32 And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come. (BGT Mat 12:32) τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 12:40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (BGT Mat 12:40) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 13:37 He answered, "He who sows the good seed is the Son of man; (BGT Mat 13:37) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 13:41 The Son of man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, (BGT Mat 13:41) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 16:13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that the Son of man is?" (BGT Mat 16:13) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay every man for what he has done. (BGT Mat 16:27) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 16:28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (BGT Mat 16:28) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 17:9 And as they were coming down the mountain, Jesus commanded them, "Tell no one the vision, until the Son of man is raised from the dead." (BGT Mat 17:9) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 17:12 but I tell you that Elijah has already come, and they did not know him, but did to him whatever they pleased. So also the Son of man will suffer at their hands." (BGT Mat 17:12) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 17:22 As they were gathering in Galilee, Jesus said to them, "The Son of man is to be delivered into the hands of men, (BGT Mat 17:22) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 19:28 Jesus said to them, "Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of man shall sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. (BGT Mat 19:28) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 20:18 "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man will be delivered to the chief priests and scribes, and they will condemn him to death, (BGT Mat 20:18) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 20:28 even as the Son of man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (BGT Mat 20:28) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 24:27 For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of man. (BGT Mat 24:27) τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 24:30 then will appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory; (BGT Mat 24:30) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου … τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 24:37 As were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of man. (BGT Mat 24:37) τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 24:39 and they did not know until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of man. (BGT Mat 24:39) τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 24:44 Therefore you also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an hour you do not expect. (BGT Mat 24:44) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 25:31 "When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. (BGT Mat 25:31) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 26:2 "You know that after two days the Passover is coming, and the Son of man will be delivered up to be crucified." (BGT Mat 26:2) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 26:24 The Son of man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born." (BGT Mat 26:24) ὁ ... υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου … ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 26:45 Then he came to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? Behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. (BGT Mat 26:45) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Matthew 26:64 Jesus said to him, "You have said so. But I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven." (BGT Mat 26:64) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 2:10 But that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" -- he said to the paralytic -- (BGT Mar 2:10) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 2:28 so the Son of man is lord even of the sabbath." (BGT Mar 2:28) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 8:31 And he began to teach them that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. (BGT Mar 8:31) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 8:38 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of man also be ashamed, when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." (BGT Mar 8:38) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 9:9 And as they were coming down the mountain, he charged them to tell no one what they had seen, until the Son of man should have risen from the dead. (BGT Mar 9:9) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 9:12 And he said to them, "Elijah does come first to restore all things; and how is it written of the Son of man, that he should suffer many things and be treated with contempt? (BGT Mar 9:12) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 9:31 for he was teaching his disciples, saying to them, "The Son of man will be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him; and when he is killed, after three days he will rise." (BGT Mar 9:31) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 10:33 saying, "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man will be delivered to the chief priests and the scribes, and they will condemn him to death, and deliver him to the Gentiles; (BGT Mar 10:33) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 10:45 For the Son of man also came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (BGT Mar 10:45) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 13:26 And then they will see the Son of man coming in clouds with great power and glory. (BGT Mar 13:26) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 14:21 For the Son of man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born." (BGT Mar 14:21) ὁ ... υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ... ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 14:41 And he came the third time, and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? It is enough; the hour has come; the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. (BGT Mar 14:41) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Mark 14:62 And Jesus said, "I am; and you will see the Son of man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven." (BGT Mar 14:62) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 5:24 But that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" -- he said to the man who was paralyzed -- "I say to you, rise, take up your bed and go home." (BGT Luk 5:24) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 6:5 And he said to them, "The Son of man is lord of the sabbath." (BGT Luk 6:5) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 6:22 "Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they exclude you and revile you, and cast out your name as evil, on account of the Son of man! (BGT Luk 6:22) τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 7:34 The Son of man has come eating and drinking; and you say, `Behold, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' (BGT Luk 7:34) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 9:22 saying, "The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised." (BGT Luk 9:22) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 9:26 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. (BGT Luk 9:26) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 9:44 "Let these words sink into your ears; for the Son of man is to be delivered into the hands of men." (BGT Luk 9:44) ὁ ... υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 9:58 And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head." (BGT Luk 9:58) ὁ ... υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 11:30 For as Jonah became a sign to the men of Nineveh, so will the Son of man be to this generation. (BGT Luk 11:30) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 12:8 "And I tell you, every one who acknowledges me before men, the Son of man also will acknowledge before the angels of God; (BGT Luk 12:8) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 12:10 And every one who speaks a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. (BGT Luk 12:10) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 12:40 You also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an unexpected hour." (BGT Luk 12:40) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 17:22 And he said to the disciples, "The days are coming when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and you will not see it. (BGT Luk 17:22) τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 17:24 For as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of man be in his day. (BGT Luk 17:24) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 17:26 As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the days of the Son of man. (BGT Luk 17:26) τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 17:30 so will it be on the day when the Son of man is revealed. (BGT Luk 17:30) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 18:8 I tell you, he will vindicate them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of man comes, will he find faith on earth?" (BGT Luk 18:8) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 18:31 And taking the twelve, he said to them, "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written of the Son of man by the prophets will be accomplished. (BGT Luk 18:31) τῷ υἱῷ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 19:10 For the Son of man came to seek and to save the lost." (BGT Luk 19:10) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 21:27 And then they will see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. (BGT Luk 21:27) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 21:36 But watch at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of man." (BGT Luk 21:36) τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 22:22 For the Son of man goes as it has been determined; but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed!" (BGT Luk 22:22) ὁ υἱὸς μὲν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 22:48 but Jesus said to him, "Judas, would you betray the Son of man with a kiss?" (BGT Luk 22:48) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 22:69 But from now on the Son of man shall be seated at the right hand of the power of God." (BGT Luk 22:69) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Luke 24:7 that the Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and on the third day rise." (BGT Luk 24:7) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 1:51 And he said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man." (BGT Joh 1:51) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 3:13 No one has ascended into heaven but he who descended from heaven, the Son of man. (BGT Joh 3:13) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of man be lifted up, (BGT Joh 3:14) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 5:27 and has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of man. (BGT Joh 5:27) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου no definite article with either υἱὸς or ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 6:27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of man will give to you; for on him has God the Father set his seal." (BGT Joh 6:27) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 6:53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; (BGT Joh 6:53) τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 6:62 Then what if you were to see the Son of man ascending where he was before? (BGT Joh 6:62) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 8:28 So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority but speak thus as the Father taught me. (BGT Joh 8:28) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out, and having found him he said, "Do you believe in the Son of man?" (BGT Joh 9:35) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 12:23 And Jesus answered them, "The hour has come for the Son of man to be glorified. (BGT Joh 12:23) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 12:34 The crowd answered him, "We have heard from the law that the Christ remains for ever. How can you say that the Son of man must be lifted up? Who is this Son of man?" (BGT Joh 12:34) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ... ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV John 13:31 When he had gone out, Jesus said, "Now is the Son of man glorified, and in him God is glorified; (BGT Joh 13:31) ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Acts 7:56 and he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God." (BGT Act 7:56) τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου
RSV Hebrews 2:6 It has been testified somewhere, "What is man that thou art mindful of him, or the son of man, that thou carest for him? (BGT Heb 2:6) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου Quote of Psalm 8:4 RSV
RSV Revelation 1:13 and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden girdle round his breast; (BGT Rev 1:13) ὅμοιον υἱὸν ἀνθρώπου like a son of man (no definite article)
RSV Revelation 14:14 Then I looked, and lo, a white cloud, and seated on the cloud one like a son of man, with a golden crown on his head, and a sharp sickle in his hand. (BGT Rev 14:14) ὅμοιον υἱὸν ἀνθρώπου like a son of man (no definite article)

It seems that the NT writers who use a term like this speak of a very specific "son of man".

DCH
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Cheers, DCH -- DCH's first post above shows
  1. there was use of 'the son of man' in the LXX - in Job, Psalms, and Isaiah;
    • (a few of those verses distinguishes between 'man' and another entity that those vv. use of 'the son of man' suggests) --and
      • (- RSV Job 25:6, Isaiah 51:12 and Isaiah 56:2)
  2. at least one other entry distinguishes between 'man' and 'son of man' - RSV Jeremiah 50:40 --
DCHindley wrote:
This table is not exhaustive, as all I did was search for the English phrase "Son of Man" in the RSV, then look at the corresponding Hebrew (or Aramaic) as in the WTT version in Bibleworks and a transliteration of the Hebrew words, also from Bibleworks' BHT module.

RSV
Rahlfs LXX
WTT
Transliterated
RSV Numbers 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should repent ...
(BGT Num 23:19) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Num 23:19) ובן־אדם (BHT Num 23:19) ûben-´ädäm
RSV Job 25:6 how much less man, who is a maggot, and the son of man, who is a worm!" (BGT Job 25:6) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Job 25:6) ובן־אדם (BHT Job 25:6) ûben-´ädäm
RSV Psalm 8:4 what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him? (BGT Psa 8:5) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Psa 8:5) ובן־אדם (BHT Psa 8:5) ûben-´ädäm
RSV Psalm 80:17 But let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand, the son of man whom thou hast made strong for thyself! (BGT Psa 79:18) υἱὸν ἀνθρώπου (WTT Psa 80:18) על־אישׁ (BHT Psa 80:18) `al-Ben-´ädäm
RSV Psalm 144:3 O LORD, what is man that thou dost regard him, or the son of man that thou dost think of him? (BGT Psa 143:3) ἢ υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Psa 144:3) בן־אנושׁ (BHT Psa 144:3) Ben-´énôš
RSV Isaiah 51:12 "I, I am he that comforts you; who are you that you are afraid of man who dies, of the son of man who is made like grass, (BGT Isa 51:12) υἱοῦ ἀνθρώπου (WTT Isa 51:12) מאנושׁ (BHT Isa 51:12) ûmiBBen-´ädäm
RSV Isaiah 56:2 Blessed is the man who does this, and the son of man who holds it fast, who keeps the sabbath, not profaning it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil." (BGT Isa 56:2) ἄνθρωπος (WTT Isa 56:2) ובן־אדם (BHT Isa 56:2) ûben-´ädäm
RSV Jeremiah 50:40 As when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighbor cities, says the LORD, so no man shall dwell there, and no son of man shall sojourn in her. (BGT Jer 27:40) υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου (WTT Jer 50:40) בן־אדם (BHT Jer 50:40) Ben-´ädäm

These are very general but you can see the truth about the Hebrew not using the definite article with either "son" or "man". Although I did not check every single instance, in Ezekiel the Hebrew seems to be בן־אדם (ben-´ädäm), and the Lxx Greek uses the vocative without any definite article, a total of 93 times! I cannot vouch for the accuracy of that transliterated Hebrew, or that I correctly copied the right letters from the Hebrew text (I don't read Hebrew).
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

MrMacSon wrote:.
Cheers, DCH -- DCH's first post above shows
  1. there was use of 'the son of man' in the LXX - in Job, Psalms, and Isaiah;
    • (a few of those verses distinguishes between 'man' and another entity that those vv. use of 'the son of man' suggests) --and
      • (- RSV Job 25:6, Isaiah 51:12 and Isaiah 56:2)
  2. at least one other entry distinguishes between 'man' and 'son of man' - RSV Jeremiah 50:40 --
But I don't see the "the". The "ἢ" in Psa 143:3 RSV is actually the word "or" which I picked up by accident. I don't think ANY of the books of the Judean scriptures used an article ("the", "ha"?) with bar-nasha etc, and I also don't see it in the Lxx Greek translations.

They just say "son of man". In the Aramaic part of Daniel 7, it uses the Aramaic equivalent. I did pick up the "ὡς" in the Lxx of Dan 7:13, where it means "like", not "the".

DCH
Last edited by DCHindley on Wed May 04, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

DCHindley wrote: But I don't see the "the". The "ἢ" in Psa 143:3 RSV is actually toe [the(?)] word "or" which I picked up by accident. I don't think ANY of the books of the Judean scriptures used an article ("the", "ha"?) with bar-nasha etc, and I also don't see it in the Lxx Greek translations.

They just say "son of man".
ah, ok (So I should probably delete my previous post(?))
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

MrMacSon wrote:
DCHindley wrote: But I don't see the "the". The "ἢ" in Psa 143:3 RSV is actually the [the(?)] word "or" which I picked up by accident. I don't think ANY of the books of the Judean scriptures used an article ("the", "ha"?) with bar-nasha etc, and I also don't see it in the Lxx Greek translations.

They just say "son of man".
ah, ok (So I should probably delete my previous post(?))
Do what you must. The NT is a whole other story, if you were to ask me. Maybe you could repurpose the post?

DCH
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

DCHindley wrote:The NT is a whole other story, if you were to ask me.
Yes, that was the point of the OP.
robert j

Post by robert j »

DCH, thanks for the interesting tables on the/a son of man.