John Dominic Crossan's datings of texts

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

John Dominic Crossan's datings of texts

Post by MrMacSon »

Wikipedia on John Dominic Crossan's dating of texts1 -
  • "Crossan dates part of the Coptic Gospel of Thomas to the 50s CE, as well as the first layer of the hypothetical 'Q Document' (in this he is heavily dependent on the work of John Kloppenborg).

"He also assigns a portion of the Gospel of Peter, which he calls the 'Cross Gospel', to a date preceding the synoptic gospels, the reasoning of which is laid out more fully in The Cross that Spoke: The Origin of the Passion Narratives. He believes the 'Cross Gospel' [the Gospel of Peter] was the forerunner to the passion narratives in the canonical gospels.

"He does not date the synoptics until the mid to late 70s CE, starting with the Gospel of Mark and ending with Luke in the 90s. As for the Gospel of John, he believes part was constructed at the beginning of, and another part closer to the middle of, the 2nd century CE. Following Rudolf Bultmann, he believes there is an earlier 'Signs Source' for John as well.

"His dating methods and conclusions are quite controversial, particularly regarding the dating of 'Thomas' and the 'Cross Gospel'. The very early dating of these non-canonical sources has not been accepted by many biblical scholars."

1 laid out more in one of the appendices of The Historical Jesus: The Life of a Mediterranean Jewish Peasant, 1991; ISBN 0-06-061629-6
Bibliography

http://www.johndominiccrossan.com/

winningedge101

Re: John Dominic Crossan's datings of texts

Post by winningedge101 »

Lots of speculation, little reasoning from what I see. It's interesting though and I agree there was definitely a passion narrative source.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

winningedge101 wrote: Lots of speculation, little reasoning from what I see.
Speculation by Crossan? That quotation is someones summary about Crossan's propositions or deductions. Do you know more about what Crossan says in his books? or has said elsewhere?
winningedge101 wrote: It's interesting though and I agree there was definitely a passion narrative source.
What or where do you think that may be?
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

MrMacSon wrote: Speculation by Crossan?
I agree with much of his work, but he does reach now and then on specific examples.

But in a general sense, I will agree your question here is quantified. One needs to be specific about what exactly is he reaching on.