Marqe and Secret Mark

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Marqe and Secret Mark

Post by Secret Alias »

Just something I noticed in the Memar Marqe. The Memar in many ways is to the Pentateuch what Paul's letters are to the gospel. They are the canonical interpretation of the Pentateuch for Samaritans. But Marqe was probably a Dosithean or a sectarian and there are many oddities in the Memar. One of the oddities are that in the process of 'explaining' the Book of Exodus Marqe basically rewrites the text. An example from chapters 12 and 13 where he ignores much of the existing narrative when it tells us that - in the middle of plundering the Egyptians, the Israelites decided to have a picnic basically.

In other words, if we look at the material in Exodus, Marqe acts as if the implausible parts don't exist - or I wonder, did the Dositheans have an older Torah which hadn't yet incorporated the various dietary customs? Take a look at the material as it now stands in Exodus (I will highlight the parts of the story Marqe ignores completely):
The Exodus
31 During the night Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, “Up! Leave my people, you and the Israelites! Go, worship the Lord as you have requested. 32 Take your flocks and herds, as you have said, and go. And also bless me.”

33 The Egyptians urged the people to hurry and leave the country. “For otherwise,” they said, “we will all die!” 34 So the people took their dough before the yeast was added, and carried it on their shoulders in kneading troughs wrapped in clothing. 35 The Israelites did as Moses instructed and asked the Egyptians for articles of silver and gold and for clothing. 36 The Lord had made the Egyptians favorably disposed toward the people, and they gave them what they asked for; so they plundered the Egyptians.

37 The Israelites journeyed from Rameses to Sukkoth. There were about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children. 38 Many other people went up with them, and also large droves of livestock, both flocks and herds. 39 With the dough the Israelites had brought from Egypt, they baked loaves of unleavened bread. The dough was without yeast because they had been driven out of Egypt and did not have time to prepare food for themselves.

40 Now the length of time the Israelite people lived in Egypt was 430 years. 41 At the end of the 430 years, to the very day, all the Lord’s divisions left Egypt. 42 Because the Lord kept vigil that night to bring them out of Egypt, on this night all the Israelites are to keep vigil to honor the Lord for the generations to come.

Passover Restrictions
43 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “These are the regulations for the Passover meal:

“No foreigner may eat it. 44 Any slave you have bought may eat it after you have circumcised him, 45 but a temporary resident or a hired worker may not eat it.

46 “It must be eaten inside the house; take none of the meat outside the house. Do not break any of the bones. 47 The whole community of Israel must celebrate it.

48 “A foreigner residing among you who wants to celebrate the Lord’s Passover must have all the males in his household circumcised; then he may take part like one born in the land. No uncircumcised male may eat it. 49 The same law applies both to the native-born and to the foreigner residing among you.”

50 All the Israelites did just what the Lord had commanded Moses and Aaron. 51 And on that very day the Lord brought the Israelites out of Egypt by their divisions.

13 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Consecrate to me every firstborn male. The first offspring of every womb among the Israelites belongs to me, whether human or animal.”

3 Then Moses said to the people, “Commemorate this day, the day you came out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery, because the Lord brought you out of it with a mighty hand. Eat nothing containing yeast. 4 Today, in the month of Aviv, you are leaving. 5 When the Lord brings you into the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Hivites and Jebusites—the land he swore to your ancestors to give you, a land flowing with milk and honey—you are to observe this ceremony in this month: 6 For seven days eat bread made without yeast and on the seventh day hold a festival to the Lord. 7 Eat unleavened bread during those seven days; nothing with yeast in it is to be seen among you, nor shall any yeast be seen anywhere within your borders. 8 On that day tell your son, ‘I do this because of what the Lord did for me when I came out of Egypt.’ 9 This observance will be for you like a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that this law of the Lord is to be on your lips. For the Lord brought you out of Egypt with his mighty hand. 10 You must keep this ordinance at the appointed time year after year.

11 “After the Lord brings you into the land of the Canaanites and gives it to you, as he promised on oath to you and your ancestors, 12 you are to give over to the Lord the first offspring of every womb. All the firstborn males of your livestock belong to the Lord. 13 Redeem with a lamb every firstborn donkey, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem every firstborn among your sons.

14 “In days to come, when your son asks you, ‘What does this mean?’ say to him, ‘With a mighty hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 15 When Pharaoh stubbornly refused to let us go, the Lord killed the firstborn of both people and animals in Egypt. This is why I sacrifice to the Lord the first male offspring of every womb and redeem each of my firstborn sons.’ 16 And it will be like a sign on your hand and a symbol on your forehead that the Lord brought us out of Egypt with his mighty hand.”

Crossing the Sea
17 When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, “If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” 18 So God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea.[a] The Israelites went up out of Egypt ready for battle.

19 Moses took the bones of Joseph with him because Joseph had made the Israelites swear an oath. He had said, “God will surely come to your aid, and then you must carry my bones up with you from this place.”

20 After leaving Sukkoth they camped at Etham on the edge of the desert. 21 By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. 22 Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people.

It is very strange the in spite of the fact that Marqe tends to go line by line through Exodus he complete skips the Passover bread narrative. Of course the facts are that the really stupid, implausible parts of the story have also now disappeared. Does anyone really believe that the Israelites were wondering in the desert for 40 years with a massive herd of animals? Of course not. But this makes it seem now like the Israelites were meat eaters. Marqe has effectively turned the Israelites into vegetarians. And notice also no bread in the narrative? Does anyone really believe that in the middle of plundering the Egyptians the Israelites started baking?

But what I think this really gets to is that Marqe may well have had a version of the text which did not have the implausible references to herds and bread. Let's look at the discussion in Book 1 Chapter 10:

When all the Egyptians found their firstborn slain, they went in a body to Pharaoh the king, and cried out before him in great anguish; they said to him, "Let this people go." Now Moses and Aaron were outside praying, standing in intercession before their God. When they turned round they saw the messengers hastily sent to them by Pharaoh. (They accompanied the messengers to Pharaoh). Moses and Aaron stood before him; his domination was subdued and his burdens reduced when they entered within the gate! The light from their appearance filled his palace. Pharaoh said to them in a cowed manner, "Go forth from among my people," went proclaiming to the assembly of Israel, "Arise, set forth in safety. He has not a longsuffering spirit." The Egyptians were greatly incensed against them at the speed of their release from the land. The Israelites seized from them everything they desired, and set forth clad in it! (Ex. xii. 35)

An exceedingly harsh pillage of burning and scattering, interest on which still remains.
An exceedingly harsh pillage, which deprived the lender and brought the downfall of the plunderer.
An exceedingly harsh pillage for the plunderer and the lender alike.
An exceedingly harsh pillage which brought emptiness to the abode of the lender.
An exceedingly harsh pillage for the lender - a debt which is not wiped out!

From it came the deprivation of the Egyptians; from it also came the descent of Israel and the denudation of the Egyptians. It was said concerning the demander, "He entrusted debts to them. Cursed is this pillage for ever which renews upon us an ineffaceable wrong."

And the people of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth (Ex. xii. 37; Targ.), the cloud above them, the fire before them - six hundred thousand, apparelled in humility, goodness and grace supporting them there. Succoth was situated on a highway, a place to which all travelers went.

They were graceful, Abraham's stars, and brightly shining, Sarah's offspring.
Crowned were Isaac's young men, perfect were Rachel's young.
Beautiful were Jacob's cypresses, arrayed Leah's ranks.

Succoth was like the Garden of Eden, and the Israelites were the trees in it.
It was like Bethel (i.e. Gerizim), completely filled with an ark, and Sarah's offspring were in its baskets.
The memory of Isaac permeated it, goring with his horns all who would smite them.
A crop were they which filled the house of the Lord, reaped, bound and pressed together.
By the power of the Good One, assembled by three glorious ministers, hedged in by three great fence -
Cloud, fire, and holy spirit - one leading, one illumining, one protecting -
And excellent crop which has no bound to its greatness,
Sown in Palestine and reaped in the land of Egypt;
And it remained cultivated after having been sown four hundred and thirty years before (cf. Ex. xii. 40).
The years are weighed in accurate scales, half of them in the land of Egypt and half of them in the land of Canaan.
At the end of these years they were gathered together (Ex. xii. 41) and became a grain store in the plain of Succoth.
Excellent were these favoured servants, whose greatness was glorious among the creatures of the world.

The Red Sea was calling them silently, "Pass through in safety. I will not be a barrier."
The water of Marah was calling them silently, "Come quickly, for I am sweetened."
It was as though the Manna was addressing them silently, "Make haste, for I will descend to sustain you."
The rocks were calling them silently, "Come over me in strenght. I shall not be in the way."
The valley was calling them silently, "Come forth. Do not fear, for great victory will be won on me."
Mount Sinai was calling them silently, "You have come rejoicing, O favoured children."
The Jordan was calling them silently, "Cross over gladly. I shall be dried up."
The Goodly Mount was calling them silently, "Come up in safety, you who proclaim the Blessing."
The hills were calling them silently, "Approach now, O favoured ranks."
The plain of beauty was calling them silently, "Come across with rejoicing, O pure lights."

All these were seeing to see them and desiring to mingle with them.

In Rameses they made sacrifice and they journeyed to Succoth. They sought to leave it, but were unable. The pillar of cloud and of fire had stopped in front of them, so that they could not get away from the outskirts of Succoth. Moses and Aaron were watching afraid, and all the congregation were in consternation, wondering what was the meaning of this strange matter. Moses said to Aaron, "I believe some vile deed has been done in the congregation."

"Let us call the Elders," they said to one another, "That we may enquire into this happening." The Elders came to Moses and Aaron, their minds full of alarm. (Moses said to them) "Go in peace, O Elders of the congregation, and enquire of every tribe what is the meaning of this strange event. I do not believe that the sorcerers are able with their sorcery to spellbind the sons of the Oath (i.e. the children of Jacob). This is but something we do not yet understand. Nevertheless the truth is near; it will be revealed in good time."

The Elders went off separately among the congregation and began to question every single tribe. When they shouted to the tribe of Asher, Serah came out of them at once (and said), "You have (done) nothing wrong. I shall explain to you what the meaning of this strange event is."

They put their trust in her then and brought her to the great prophet Moses. She stood before him - and he was like the moon in its fullness - and she said, "Greetings to you, Moses. O most glorious of men, hear from me about this matter about which you enquire."

Praise to those who illumine the blind!

"You would have forgotten him, had not the pillar of cloud and the pillar of fire stopped still. You would have gone forth and he would have been left behind in Egypt. I remember the day on which he died, when he bound all the people by oath to go up with their leaders from here."

The great prophet Moses said to her, "Blessed are you, Serah, most enlightened of women. From today onwards your greatness will be recounted!"

Declaration was made among the congregation that they were told, "Joseph is going to leave here with us."

Serah went away, the whole tribe of Ephraim round about her. Moses and Aaron followed them, till they reached the place where he was buried. She stopped there and they uncovered the ark and lifted it up there and then. Serah left Moses and Aaron. The great prophet Moses opened the ark with his right hand. Prostrating himself on it, he kissed it. He wept and began at that very moment to eulogize him. He said, "Your spirit is very pleasing, O most honoured of the household of his father."

All the congregation stood eulogizing him and saying, "Your spirit is pleasing, O Joseph, patron of freedom." The great prophet Moses raised his voice and said to him, "O Joseph your spirit knows that you will be borne by the hands of me and six hundred thousand who extol you. The cloud and the fire will lead the way in front of you, and your descendants will become your bearers. After the passing of a hundred and forty years buried in the land of Egypt - now after all these years your are going to ascend to the land which was apportioned to you. Your spirit is pleasing, O Fruitful Bough (Gen. xlix. 22), O Joseph the king who was vested with freedom, for whom was wrought mighty and magnificent greatness, as well as glory and praise both during your life nad after your death. In your lifetime you were praised with salutations, and the sons of two wives made obeisance to you. After your death you are praised even more than then.

When the great prophet Moses stopped eulogizing him, he said to the house of Ephraim, "You will carry him."

Joshua went in front and carried him. He called out and said, "Your spirit is pleasing, O Father, most honoured of his father's house." As soon as he was lifted up by his children the cloud and the fire went before them.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Re: Marqe and Secret Mark

Post by Secret Alias »

According to Marqe, 'fire' led the Israelites from Book 1 Chapter 10 of the Memar:
And the people of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth (Ex. xii. 37; Targ.), the cloud above them, the fire before them - six hundred thousand, apparelled in humility, goodness and grace supporting them there. Succoth was situated on a highway, a place to which all travelers went.
and a little before that:
By the power of the Good One, assembled by three glorious ministers, hedged in by three great fence - Cloud, fire, and holy spirit - one leading, one illumining, one protecting - an excellent crop which has no bound to its greatness, sown in Palestine and reaped in the land of Egypt; and it remained cultivated after having been sown four hundred and thirty years before (cf. Ex. xii. 40).
There is a consistent idea in Marqe that the wandering Israelites were a second Garden of Eden - "Succoth was like the Garden of Eden, and the Israelites were the trees in it." The 'four hundred and thirty' is the number given for the entire stay of the Israelites in Egypt - "Now the time that the sons of Israel lived in Egypt was four hundred and thirty years. And at the end of four hundred and thirty years, to the very day, all the hosts of the LORD went out from the land of Egypt." (Exodus 12:40, 41). But as we have noted elsewhere the precise time of their enslavement was 359 years. The mention now in Marqe clearly confirms that there was some idea that this moment - 430 years from the first entry in to Egypt, 359 years from their enslavement caused the Israelites to be transformed back to the state before the fall. This seems to dovetail with Meir's notion that the original Torah read that Adam and Eve had coats of light rather than coats of skin (a change from an alef to an ayin).

So now, as we began to notice there are three beings following this 'mobile Garden of Eden' in the wilderness. 'The fire' leading the group, 'the cloud' behind them and the Holy Spirit all around them presumably.

In the lead up to their appearance in Succoth as reformed 'trees' from paradise the fire and the cloud came in front of them:
In Rameses they made sacrifice and they journeyed to Succoth. They sought to leave it, but were unable. The pillar of cloud and of fire had stopped in front of them, so that they could not get away from the outskirts of Succoth.
So this is quite astounding and the Samaritans have always accepted the details here as absolutely canonical - of the same level of holiness as the Torah. What happened in Marqe's understanding of the exodus is that in Sukkoth the Israelites seemed to have been restored to their state before the fall (notice the references to trees in the garden of Eden). Even though Marqe condemns the Israelites for plundering Egypt! Something is wrong here surely ...

Marqe says that the fire, cloud and holy spirit wouldn't let them go any further. The whole of Israel are perplexed until a four hundred year old granddaughter of Jacob reminds the Israelites that they forgot Joseph's body in Egypt. So presumably the Israelites go back and get it and then the fire, cloud and holy spirit let them travel forward toward their encounter with the sea. But clearly also the text assumes that the ark was present in Sukkoth when the place was transformed into the Garden of Eden and the Israelites 'trees.'

It is the mixture of the ark and the divine beings which helps transform the Israelites.

Of course our natural tendency is to read this as an 'inventive Midrash' - but why is it that even though Samaritans and Jews have been separated for thousands of years the same reports of a four hundred something year old granddaughter of Jacob is known also to the Jews. Indeed if you look at Numbers 33 there is special interest in Serah. I don't think the details recounted by Marqe are just 'made up stuff.' The text of Exodus has been remade a number of times. The Samaritan and Qumran text demonstrates time and again that parts now found only in Deuteronomy were once found in Exodus too.

I think Jews and Samaritans knew of a text that emphasized that the Jews were transformed by the fire-angel in their preparation to go in the sea.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

But doesn't all of this disjointed comings and goings in Exodus remind you of the same situation in the gospel of Mark. Remember chapter 10 where Secret Mark added some new details apparently?
They were on their way up to Jerusalem, with Jesus leading the way, and the disciples were astonished, while those who followed were afraid. verse 32

Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, were leaving the city, verse 46
In both Exodus and the gospel of Mark there is this tendency of Mark to 'fix' things which have fallen out of the text.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Or is it Mark somehow knows the ur-text?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

And are we really supposed to believe that the first mention of the 'pillar of fire' and the 'pillar of the cloud' are supposed to come only at Exodus 13:21 - 22:
By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar (בְּעַמּ֤וּד) of cloud (עָנָן֙) to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar (בְּעַמּ֥וּד) of fire (אֵ֖שׁ) to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people.
If you stick the Passover bread reference and the firstborn sacrifice it gets in the way of the natural sense that the two pillars were there with the Israelites from the moment they left Israel. It clouds the entire narrative unnecessarily and so I strongly suspect neither was there originally.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

So let me reconstruct what Marqe's text of Exodus looked like:
During the night Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, “Up! Leave my people, you and the Israelites! Go, worship the Lord as you have requested ... The Egyptians urged the people to hurry and leave the country. “For otherwise,” they said, “we will all die!” ... The Israelites did as Moses instructed and asked the Egyptians for articles of silver and gold and for clothing. The Lord had made the Egyptians favorably disposed toward the people, and they gave them what they asked for; so they plundered the Egyptians.

The Israelites journeyed from Rameses to Sukkoth the cloud above them, the fire before them . There were about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children. Now the length of time the Israelite people lived in Egypt was 430 years. At the end of the 430 years, to the very day, all the Lord’s divisions left Egypt. Because the Lord kept vigil that night to bring them out of Egypt, on this night all the Israelites are to keep vigil to honor the Lord for the generations to come.

When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For Elohim said, “If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” And Elohim led the people the desert toward the Red Sea and in battle armor (וַחֲמֻשִׁ֛ים) the Israelites went from the land of Egypt.

And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him because Joseph had made the Israelites swear an oath. He had said, “God will surely come to your aid, and then you must carry my bones up with you from this place.”

After leaving Sukkoth they camped at Etham on the edge of the desert. By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Here is something very, very cool - worthy of a paper I might add! The very story that Marqe tells is also preserved in the oldest Jewish commentary on the same passage from Exodus - viz. Mekhilta De-Rabbi Ishmael. In the Tractate Beshallah we read:
And Moses Took the Bone of Joseph with Him. This proclaims the wisdom and the piety of Moses. For all Israel were busy with the booty while Moses busied himself with the duty of looking after the bones of Joseph. Of him Scripture says: “the wise in heart takes on duties” (Prov. 10:8). But how did Moses know where Joseph was buried? It is told that Serah, the daughter of Asher survived from that generation and she showed Moses the grave of Joseph. She said to him: The Egyptians put him in a small metal coffin which they sunk in the Nile. So Moses went and stood by the Nile. He took a table of gold on which he engraved the Tetragrammaton, and throwing it into the Nile, he cried out and said: “Joseph son of Jacob! The oath to redeem his children, which God swore to our father Abraham, has reached its fulfillment. If you come up, well and good. But if not, we shall be guiltless of your oath.” Immediately Joseph’s coffin came up to the surface, and Moses took it.

מכילתא פרשה בשלח ב ויקח משה את עצמות יוסף עמו. להודיע חכמתו וחסידותו של משה שכל ישראל עוסקין בבזה ומשה עוסק במצות עצמות יוסף עליו הכתוב אומר (משלי י') חכם לב יקח מצות ואויל שפתים ילבט. ומשה מהיכן היה יודע היכן היה קבור יוסף אמרו סרח בת אשר נשתיירה מאותו הדור והיא הראתה למשה קבר יוסף אמרה לו במקום הזה שמוהו עשו לו מצרים ארון של מתכת ושקעוהו בתוך נילוס בא ועמד על נילוס נטל צרור וזרק לתוכו וזעק ואמר יוסף יוסף הגיעה השבועה שנשבע הקב"ה לאברהם אבינו שהוא גאל את בניו תן כבוד ליי' אלהי ישראל ואל תעכב את גאולתך כי בגללך אנו מעוכבים ואם לאו נקיים .אנחנו משבועתך מיד צף ארונו של יוסף ונטלו משה
Clearly this is a major discovery - and merely one example of the Mekhilta De-Rabbi Ishmael sharing a common Samaritan heritage with Marqe. In an unpublished essay I went through and demonstrated time and again that the Jewish text uses the 'Samaritan' Book of Exodus (i.e. a text known from Qumran which incorporates text from Deuteronomy which was the source of the two powers 'heresy' - i.e. an older tradition which knew that Esh (Man/Fire) led the people out of Israel.

The same story as preserved (more fully) in Marqe:
In Rameses they made sacrifice and they journeyed to Succoth. They sought to leave it, but were unable. The pillar of cloud and of fire had stopped in front of them, so that they could not get away from the outskirts of Succoth. Moses and Aaron were watching afraid, and all the congregation were in consternation, wondering what was the meaning of this strange matter. Moses said to Aaron, "I believe some vile deed has been done in the congregation."

"Let us call the Elders," they said to one another, "That we may enquire into this happening." The Elders came to Moses and Aaron, their minds full of alarm. (Moses said to them) "Go in peace, O Elders of the congregation, and enquire of every tribe what is the meaning of this strange event. I do not believe that the sorcerers are able with their sorcery to spellbind the sons of the Oath (i.e. the children of Jacob). This is but something we do not yet understand. Nevertheless the truth is near; it will be revealed in good time."

The Elders went off separately among the congregation and began to question every single tribe. When they shouted to the tribe of Asher, Serah came out of them at once (and said), "You have (done) nothing wrong. I shall explain to you what the meaning of this strange event is."

They put their trust in her then and brought her to the great prophet Moses. She stood before him - and he was like the moon in its fullness - and she said, "Greetings to you, Moses. O most glorious of men, hear from me about this matter about which you enquire."

Praise to those who illumine the blind!

"You would have forgotten him, had not the pillar of cloud and the pillar of fire stopped still. You would have gone forth and he would have been left behind in Egypt. I remember the day on which he died, when he bound all the people by oath to go up with their leaders from here."

The great prophet Moses said to her, "Blessed are you, Serah, most enlightened of women. From today onwards your greatness will be recounted!"

Declaration was made among the congregation that they were told, "Joseph is going to leave here with us."

Serah went away, the whole tribe of Ephraim round about her. Moses and Aaron followed them, till they reached the place where he was buried. She stopped there and they uncovered the ark and lifted it up there and then. Serah left Moses and Aaron. The great prophet Moses opened the ark with his right hand. Prostrating himself on it, he kissed it. He wept and began at that very moment to eulogize him. He said, "Your spirit is very pleasing, O most honoured of the household of his father."

All the congregation stood eulogizing him and saying, "Your spirit is pleasing, O Joseph, patron of freedom." The great prophet Moses raised his voice and said to him, "O Joseph your spirit knows that you will be borne by the hands of me and six hundred thousand who extol you. The cloud and the fire will lead the way in front of you, and your descendants will become your bearers. After the passing of a hundred and forty years buried in the land of Egypt - now after all these years your are going to ascend to the land which was apportioned to you. Your spirit is pleasing, O Fruitful Bough (Gen. xlix. 22), O Joseph the king who was vested with freedom, for whom was wrought mighty and magnificent greatness, as well as glory and praise both during your life nad after your death. In your lifetime you were praised with salutations, and the sons of two wives made obeisance to you. After your death you are praised even more than then.

When the great prophet Moses stopped eulogizing him, he said to the house of Ephraim, "You will carry him."

Joshua went in front and carried him. He called out and said, "Your spirit is pleasing, O Father, most honoured of his father's house." As soon as he was lifted up by his children the cloud and the fire went before them.
Notice also that the Jewish story - like the Samaritan story - naturally 'skips over' the Passover bread and sacrifice of the firstborn narrative. Indeed the failure to remember to bring Joseph's bones is connected with the love of money (from the plunder) that the Israelites displayed in both stories.
Last edited by Secret Alias on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

If you have the circle of Rabbi Ishmael using a 'Samaritan' text of Exodus which condemned the greedy Israelites who were more interested in their plunder than bringing the bones of their great ancestor and which posited the existence of a four hundred year old contemporary of Joseph - and a woman no less viz. Serah - how is it not seen now that the Marcionites negative interpretation of the Israelites' plunder of Egypt during the Exodus has nothing to do with 'anti-Semitism' but from sharing knowledge of the same variant text of Exodus?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Or at least an extremely secondary text on Exodus
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Here is an overview of the story and which adds the Tosefta to the early sources which know the story
https://books.google.com/books?id=snvds ... an&f=false