What is the theological meaning of Jesus dying on 15 Nissan?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Michael BG

What is the theological meaning of Jesus dying on 15 Nissan?

Post by Michael BG »

I have recently read that Mark edited his source to change the day Jesus died from 14th Nissan to 15th Nissan. I recall reading a long time ago that there are theological reasons for John to change the day from 15th Nissan to the day of preparation when the Paschal Lamb was slaughtered.

Paul sees Christ as the paschal lamb - 1 Cor 5:7c “For Christ, our paschal lamb, has been sacrificed”, which would make more sense if Jesus was killed at the same time as the paschal lambs were on 14th Nissan.

So I can understand why the day of Jesus death would be changed from 15th Nissan to 14th Nissan, but can anyone explain why it would be changed the other way round, from 14th Nissan to 15th Nissan?
Japhethite

Re: What is the theological meaning of Jesus dying on 15 Nis

Post by Japhethite »

According to what i have learnt from the OT feasts, and the NT crucifiction week verses, and new info i learnt on certain NT Greek words that the english doesn't accurtely convey, and new info that day begins sunrise not sunset:
last supper was on wed 12th, Jesus died on thu the 13th (preparation passover), the passover was on fri 14th ("passover always on fri") (1st sabbath, "high day"), sat 15th was the (2nd) sabbath & 1st day of 7 days unleavened bread, Jesus rose before sunrise of sunday 16th (1st day of week, 1st fruits) on OT sat night (modern "sunday" morning).
Blood

Post by Blood »

Mark's "source" was his imagination.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

Japhethite wrote:According to what i have learnt from the OT feasts, and the NT crucifiction week verses, and new info i learnt on certain NT Greek words that the english doesn't accurtely convey, and new info that day begins sunrise not sunset:
last supper was on wed 12th, Jesus died on thu the 13th (preparation passover), the passover was on fri 14th ("passover always on fri") (1st sabbath, "high day"), sat 15th was the (2nd) sabbath & 1st day of 7 days unleavened bread, Jesus rose before sunrise of sunday 16th (1st day of week, 1st fruits) on OT sat night (modern "sunday" morning).
Are you saying there is evidence that Jews in first century CE started their day at sunrise and not at sunset as generally agreed?
Please can you quote from where you learnt that the day of preparation was the 13th and the 14th was always a Friday?
Blood wrote:Mark's "source" was his imagination.
That is an opinion, but not one I share. My position is that Mark used some written sources and oral traditions. I also agree with David Catchpole regarding a pre 41 CE written source for some of Mk 13 {particularly 13:14 - "But when you see the desolating sacrilege set up where it ought not to be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains;”}.
Japhethite

Post by Japhethite »

it refuses to let me post any reply, please contact me privately, they obvioulsy don't want any differing evidence/proof on here
Japhethite

Post by Japhethite »

christianityboard topic a-day-begins-at-sunrise (not allowed to post address) .
You can also use search/find on english ebible for word "preparation" (and for "passover")
If you look up the OT chapters verses on the feasts in Nisan you will see that the passover/14th is clearly on a friday. (Exod 12 & 13; Lev 23.)
Japhethite

Post by Japhethite »

(John) Mark was a follower of Peter and of Paul.
Someone suggested he may be the young man that fled at Jesus arrest though i am not sure of that myself.
The Catholic Saint/interpreter Mark (Venice, Pharos) is partly from either Mercury/Hermes Trismegistus/Thoth or Mars though.
Japhethite

Post by Japhethite »

027:062 Now on the next day, which was the day after the Preparation Day, the chief priests and the Pharisees were gathered together to Pilate,
015:042 When evening had now come, because it was the Preparation Day, that is, the day before the Sabbath,
023:054 It was the day of the Preparation, and the Sabbath was drawing near.
019:014 Now it was the Preparation Day of the Passover, at about the sixth hour.{noon} He said to the Jews, "Behold, your King!"
019:031 Therefore the Jews, because it was the Preparation Day, so that the bodies wouldn't remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a special one), asked of Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
019:042 Then because of the Jews' Preparation Day (for the tomb was near at hand) they laid Jesus there.
018:028 They led Jesus therefore from Caiaphas into the Praetorium. It was early, and they themselves didn't enter into the Praetorium, that they might not be defiled, but might eat the Passover.
"Community Fluoridation" = compulsory Mass Medication.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Japhethite wrote:it refuses to let me post any reply, please contact me privately, they obvioulsy don't want any differing evidence/proof on here
So if it refuses to let you post any reply, what am I replying to? ....

Also: welcome to the forum.

After 2-3 posts, you are able to post links. Before that, links are not allowed as a spam prevention measure.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Japhethite

Post by Japhethite »

thanks. yes sorry i was wrong about being blocked. Sometimes i get abit paranoid / overreact. I coudn't help assuming as i had no idea why it refused to post (incl without link) as it gave no reason. But i afterwards found i was able to post in small bits so it must be because was "too long".
"Community Fluoridation" = compulsory Mass Medication.