Jews not guilty of Jesus' death

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gmx

Jews not guilty of Jesus' death

Post by gmx »

I recently became aware that the Catholic Church had obsolved "the Jews" of responsibility for Jesus' death. Can anyone provide entry-level details / explanation of this?
I saw a Naked girl ,Slowly emerge in front of me,Greek hairstyle,Very beautiful,She has a beautiful [fine] profile.; She is fine in profile. the view of profile,hard to tell.
gmx

Re: Jews not guilty of Jesus' death

Post by gmx »

and of course I meant absolved
I saw a Naked girl ,Slowly emerge in front of me,Greek hairstyle,Very beautiful,She has a beautiful [fine] profile.; She is fine in profile. the view of profile,hard to tell.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

These for the most part were based on poor literal interpretation of the gospels. In part portraying Pilate as washing his hands of it, and giving the crowd a choice, which is fiction by all standards.

The reality is the corrupt Hellenistic Jews in control of the temple working hand in hand with he Romans to bilk money out of the peasant class, were part of it.

But only in context that a man broke temple rules by disturbing the required peace, and these Hellenist did their job in quieting a trouble maker. Handing the man to the Romans for execution.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

gmx wrote:I recently became aware that the Catholic Church had obsolved "the Jews" of responsibility for Jesus' death. Can anyone provide entry-level details / explanation of this?
Coincidentally this program aired last night answering your very question. Early in the program the background (Vatican II) to this Catholic Church move is presented. Hope it's available outside Australia: http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/compass/RN1411H023S00
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Unfortunately, I get a message saying that, due to licensing agreements, this content is available only in Australia.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Ben C. Smith wrote:Unfortunately, I get a message saying that, due to licensing agreements, this content is available only in Australia.
Well that's fair payback for all the U.S. videos I am not allowed to see. In brief, the point as I interpreted it was that the scholarly view has followed or accompanied the political trend for ecumenicalism. A turning point here for the Catholic Church was Pope John Paul II's visit to and praying in the Great Synagogue of Rome in 1986.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Blood

Post by Blood »

Who are they blaming now? The Romans? Isn't that a wee bit embarrassing for "Roman" Catholics?
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

neilgodfrey wrote:
gmx wrote:I recently became aware that the Catholic Church had obsolved "the Jews" of responsibility for Jesus' death. Can anyone provide entry-level details / explanation of this?
Coincidentally this program aired last night answering your very question. Early in the program the background (Vatican II) to this Catholic Church move is presented. Hope it's available outside Australia: http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/compass/RN1411H023S00
The relevant Vatican II decree is Nostra Aetate
True, the Jewish authorities and those who followed their lead pressed for the death of Christ; still, what happened in His passion cannot be charged against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today. Although the Church is the new people of God, the Jews should not be presented as rejected or accursed by God, as if this followed from the Holy Scriptures. All should see to it, then, that in catechetical work or in the preaching of the word of God they do not teach anything that does not conform to the truth of the Gospel and the spirit of Christ.
i.e. some Jews at the time bore some responsibility for the death of Christ. However this was not true of most Jews at the time and is not true of any Jews today.

Andrew Criddle