An inventory of references to the mystery of Christ.

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Ben C. Smith

An inventory of references to the mystery of Christ.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Just an unadorned, slightly categorized list of passages having to do with the descent, crucifixion, and ascent of Christ being secret, furtive, mysterious, hidden, or performed in human (or other) likeness as a disguise.

Earlier literature means literature that (probably) predates Christianity. Later literature means literature that (possibly) postdates the epistles and gospels, which I place in the middle. So far, in that middle category, the canonical texts have received most of my attention, not because I think they are more important than the noncanonical, but rather because searching them is easier than searching the rest using the tools at my disposal.

Please feel free to suggest additional passages or even entire themes (so far I have mystery, manifestation, and likeness from the epistles; messianic secret and resurrection appearances from the gospels).

Potentially relevant references in earlier literature.

1 Enoch 42.1-3, translated by R. H. Charles (http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/boe/boe045.htm, here for context more than for content):

1. Wisdom found no place where she might dwell;
Then a dwelling-place was assigned her in the heavens.

2 Wisdom went forth to make her dwelling among the children of men,
And found no dwelling-place:
Wisdom returned to her place,
And took her seat among the angels.

3 And unrighteousness went forth from her chambers:
Whom she sought not she found,
And dwelt with them,
As rain in a desert
And dew on a thirsty land.

Baruch 3.29-4.4 RSV:

3.29 Who has gone up into heaven, and taken her,
and brought her down from the clouds?
30 Who has gone over the sea, and found her,
and will buy her for pure gold?
31 No one knows the way to her,
or is concerned about the path to her.
32 But he who knows all things knows her,
he found her by his understanding.

He who prepared the earth for all time
filled it with four-footed creatures;
33 he who sends forth the light, and it goes,
called it, and it obeyed him in fear;
34 the stars shone in their watches, and were glad;
he called them, and they said, “Here we are!”
They shone with gladness for him who made them.
35 This is our God;
no other can be compared to him!
36 He found the whole way to knowledge,
and gave her to Jacob his servant
and to Israel whom he loved.
37 Afterward she appeared upon earth
and lived among men.

4.1She is the book of the commandments of God,
and the law that endures for ever.
All who hold her fast will live,
and those who forsake her will die.
2 Turn, O Jacob, and take her;
walk toward the shining of her light.
3 Do not give your glory to another,
or your advantages to an alien people.
4 Happy are we, O Israel,
for we know what is pleasing to God.

1 Enoch 94.5 is translated by Matthew Black as follows:

(5) And hold fast to my precepts in the meditation of your heart,
And let not my words be effaced from your hearts;
For I know that sinners will tempt men to entreat wisdom evilly,
And no place will be found for her,
And trials will in no way decrease.

1 Enoch 46.1-2 (translation by Richard Laurence, http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/enoch.html):

Enoch 46:1 There I beheld the Ancient of days, whose head was like white wool, and with him another, whose countenance resembled that of man. His countenance was full of grace, like that of one of the holy angels. Then I inquired of one of the angels, who went with me, and who showed me every secret thing, concerning this Son of man; who he was; whence he was and why he accompanied the Ancient of days.
Enoch 46:2 He answered and said to me, This is the Son of man, to whom righteousness belongs; with whom righteousness has dwelt; and who will reveal all the treasures of that which is concealed: for the Lord of spirits has chosen him; and his portion has surpassed all before the Lord of spirits in everlasting uprightness.

1 Enoch 61.1-18 (translation by Richard Laurence, http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/enoch.html):

Enoch 61:1 Thus the Lord commanded the kings, the princes, the exalted, and those who dwell on earth, saying, Open your eyes, and lift up your horns, if you are capable of comprehending the Elect One.
Enoch 61:2 The Lord of spirits sat upon the throne of his glory.
Enoch 61:3 And the spirit of righteousness was poured out over him.
Enoch 61:4 The word of his mouth shall destroy all the sinners and all the ungodly, who shall perish at his presence.
Enoch 61:5 In that day shall all the kings, the princes, the exalted, and those who possess the earth, stand up, behold, and perceive, that he is sitting on the throne of his glory; that before him the saints shall be judged in righteousness;
Enoch 61:6 And that nothing, which shall be spoken before him, shall be spoken in vain.
Enoch 61:7 Trouble shall come upon them, as upon a woman in travail, whose labour is severe, when her child comes to the mouth of the womb, and she finds it difficult to bring forth.
Enoch 61:8 One portion of them shall look upon another. They shall be astonished, and shall humble their countenance;
Enoch 61:9 And trouble shall seize them, when they shall behold this Son of woman sitting upon the throne of his glory.
Enoch 61:10 Then shall the kings, the princes, and all who possess the earth, glorify him who has dominion over all things, him who was concealed; for from the beginning the Son of man existed in secret, whom the Most High preserved in the presence of his power, and revealed to the elect.
Enoch 61:11 He shall sow the congregation of the saints, and of the elect; and all the elect shall stand before him in that day.
Enoch 61:12 All the kings, the princes, the exalted, and those who rule over all the earth, shall fall down on their faces before him, and shall worship him.
Enoch 61:13 They shall fix their hopes on this Son of man, shall pray to him, and petition him for mercy.
Enoch 61:14 Then shall the Lord of spirits hasten to expel them from his presence. Their faces shall be full of confusion, and their faces shall darkness cover. The angels shall take them to punishment, that vengeance may be inflicted on those who have oppressed his children and his elect. And they shall become an example to the saints and to his elect. Through them shall these be made joyful; for the anger of the Lord of spirits shall rest upon them.
Enoch 61:15 Then the sword of the Lord of spirits shall be drunk with their blood; but the saints and elect shall be safe in that day; nor the face of the sinners and the ungodly shall they thenceforwards behold.
Enoch 61:16 The Lord of spirits shall remain over them:
Enoch 61:17 And with this Son of man shall they dwell, eat, lie down, and rise up, for ever and ever.
Enoch 61:18 The saints and the elect have arisen from the earth, have left off to depress their countenances, and have been clothed with the garment of life. That garment of life is with the Lord of spirits, in whose presence your garment shall not wax old, nor shall your glory diminish.

Wisdom of Sirach 39.1-3 RSV:

1 On the other hand he who devotes himself to the study of the law of the Most High will seek out the wisdom of all the ancients, and will be concerned with prophecies; 2 he will preserve the discourse of notable men and penetrate the subtleties of parables; 3 he will seek out the hidden [ἀπόκρυφα] meanings of proverbs and be at home with the obscurities of parables.

Wisdom of Solomon 2:1-24 RSV:

1 For they reasoned unsoundly, saying to themselves, "Short and sorrowful is our life, and there is no remedy when a man comes to his end, and no one has been known to return from Hades. 2 Because we were born by mere chance, and hereafter we shall be as though we had never been; because the breath in our nostrils is smoke, and reason is a spark kindled by the beating of our hearts. 3 When it is extinguished, the body will turn to ashes, and the spirit will dissolve like empty air. 4 Our name will be forgotten in time and no one will remember our works; our life will pass away like the traces of a cloud, and be scattered like mist that is chased by the rays of the sun and overcome by its heat. 5 For our allotted time is the passing of a shadow, and there is no return from our death, because it is sealed up and no one turns back. 6 Come, therefore, let us enjoy the good things that exist, and make use of the creation to the full as in youth. 7 Let us take our fill of costly wine and perfumes, and let no flower of spring pass by us. 8 Let us crown ourselves with rosebuds before they wither. 9 Let none of us fail to share in our revelry, everywhere let us leave signs of enjoyment, because this is our portion, and this our lot. 10 Let us oppress the righteous poor man; let us not spare the widow nor regard the gray hairs of the aged. 11 But let our might be our law of right, for what is weak proves itself to be useless. 12 Let us lie in wait for the righteous man, because he is inconvenient to us and opposes our actions; he reproaches us for sins against the law, and accuses us of sins against our training. 13 He professes to have knowledge of God, and calls himself a child of the Lord. 14 He became to us a reproof of our thoughts; 15 the very sight of him is a burden to us, because his manner of life is unlike that of others, and his ways are strange. 16 We are considered by him as something base, and he avoids our ways as unclean; he calls the last end of the righteous happy, and boasts that God is his father. 17 Let us see if his words are true, and let us test what will happen at the end of his life; 18 for if the righteous man is God's son [υἱὸς θεοῦ], he will help him, and will deliver him from the hand of his adversaries. 19 Let us test him with insult and torture, that we may find out how gentle he is, and make trial of his forbearance. 20 Let us condemn him to a shameful death, for, according to what he says, he will be protected." 21 Thus they reasoned, but they were led astray, for their wickedness blinded them, 22 and they did not know the secret purposes [μυστήρια, literally mysteries] of God, nor hope for the wages of holiness, nor discern the prize for blameless souls; 23 for God created man for incorruption, and made him in the image of his own eternity, 24 but through the devil's envy death entered the world, and those who belong to his party experience it.

Wisdom of Solomon 6.22-23 RSV:

22 I will tell you what wisdom is and how she came to be, and I will hide [ἀποκρύψω] no secrets [μυστήρια, literally mysteries] from you, but I will trace her course from the beginning of creation, and make knowledge of her clear, and I will not pass by the truth; 23 neither will I travel in the company of sickly envy, for envy does not associate with wisdom.

References to the mystery of Christ or of the gospel in the epistles.

Romans 11.25-26:

25 For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery [μυστήριον], lest you be wise in your own estimation, that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fulness of the Gentiles has come in; 26 and thus all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, "The Deliverer will come from Zion, He will remove ungodliness from Jacob."

Romans 16.25-27 NASB:

25 Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery [μυστηρίου] which has been kept secret for long ages past, 26 but now is manifested [φανερωθέντος], and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith; 27 to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, be the glory forever. Amen.

1 Corinthians 2.1 NASB:

1 And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony [μυστήριον, literally mystery] of God.

1 Corinthians 2.6-9 NASB:

6 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; 7 but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery [μυστηρίῳ], the hidden [ἀποκεκρυμμένην] wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory; 8 the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory; 9 but just as it is written,

“Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
And which have not entered the heart of man,
All that God has prepared for those who love Him.”

1 Corinthians 4.1 NASB:

1 Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries [μυστηρίων] of God.

1 Corinthians 13.2 NASB:

2 And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries [μυστήρια] and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

1 Corinthians 14.2 NASB:

2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries [μυστήρια].

1 Corinthians 15.51-52 NASB:

51 Behold, I tell you a mystery [μυστήριον]; we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.

Ephesians 1.9-12 NASB:

9 He made known to us the mystery [μυστήριον] of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him 10 with a view to an administration suitable to the fulness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things upon the earth. In Him 11 also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, 12 to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ should be to the praise of His glory.

Ephesians 3.1-10 NASB:

1 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles-- 2 if indeed you have heard of the stewardship of God's grace which was given to me for you; 3 that by revelation there was made known to me the mystery [μυστήριον], as I wrote before in brief. 4 And by referring to this, when you read you can understand my insight into the mystery [μυστηρίῳ] of Christ, 5 which in other generations was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit; 6 to be specific, that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel, 7 of which I was made a minister, according to the gift of God's grace which was given to me according to the working of His power. 8 To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ, 9 and to bring to light what is the administration of the mystery [μυστηρίου] which for ages has been hidden [ἀποκεκρυμμένου] in God who created all things; 10 so that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly places.

Ephesians 5:31-32 NASB:

31 For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and the two shall become one flesh. 32 This mystery [μυστήριον] is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church.

Ephesians 6:18-20 NASB:

18 With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints, 19 and pray on my behalf, that utterance may be given to me in the opening of my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery [μυστήριον] of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in proclaiming it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Colossians 1.25-27 NASB:

25 Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God, 26 that is, the mystery [μυστήριον] which has been hidden [ἀποκεκρυμμένον] from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested [ἐφανερώθη] to His saints, 27 to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery [μυστηρίου] among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Colossians 2.1-3 NASB:

1 For I want you to know how great a struggle I have on your behalf, and for those who are at Laodicea, and for all those who have not personally seen my face, 2 that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery [μυστηρίου], that is, Christ Himself, 3 in whom are hidden [ἀπόκρυφοι] all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Colossians 4.2-3 NASB:

3 Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving; praying at the same time for us as well, that God may open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery [μυστήριον] of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned....

1 Timothy 3.8-9 NASB:

8 Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted to much wine or fond of sordid gain, 9 but holding to the mystery [μυστήριον] of the faith with a clear conscience.

1 Timothy 3.16 NASB:

16 And by common confession great is the mystery [μυστήριον] of godliness:
He who was revealed [ἐφανερώθη] in the flesh,
Was vindicated in the Spirit,
Beheld by angels,
Proclaimed among the nations,
Believed on in the world,
Taken up in glory.

The term mystery is often used of the symbolism of apocalyptic visions and dreams. I will not include such instances here, but refer, for example, to Daniel 2.18, 19, 27-30, 47; Revelation 1.20; 10.7; and 17.5, 7.

References to the manifestation of Christ or of the gospel in the epistles.

Romans 3.21-22 NASB:

21 But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction....

Romans 16.25-27 (above).

Ephesians 5.13-14 NASB:

13 But all things become visible [φανεροῦται] when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible [φανερούμενον] is light. 14 For this reason it says, "Awake, sleeper, And arise from the dead, And Christ will shine on you."

Colossians 1.25-27 (above).

Colossians 3.4 NASB:

4 When Christ, who is our life, is revealed [φανερωθῇ], then you also will be revealed [φανερωθήσεσθε] with Him in glory.

2 Thessalonians 2.8 NASB:

8 And then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance [ἐπιφανείᾳ] of His coming.

1 Timothy 3:16 (above).

1 Timothy 6.13-14 NASB:

13 I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who testified the good confession before Pontius Pilate, 14 that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing [ἐπιφανείᾳς] of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which He will bring about at the proper time-- He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords; 16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light; whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.

2 Timothy 1.8-10 NASB:

8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, or of me His prisoner; but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity, 10 but now has been revealed [φανερωθεῖσαν] by the appearing [ἐπιφανείᾳς] of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher.

2 Timothy 4.1:

1 I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing [ἐπιφάνειαν] and His kingdom....

2 Timothy 4:7-8 NASB:

7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; 8 in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing [ἐπιφάνειαν].

Titus 1:1-4 NASB:

1 Paul, a bond-servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness, 2 in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago, 3 but at the proper time manifested [ἐφανέρωσεν], even His word, in the proclamation with which I was entrusted according to the commandment of God our Savior; 4 to Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.

Titus 2.13 NASB:

...looking for the blessed hope and the appearing [ἐπιφάνειαν] of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus....

Hebrews 9.26 NASB:

26 Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested [πεφανέρωται] to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.

1 Peter 1.20-21 NASB:

20 For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared [φανερωθέντος] in these last times for the sake of you 21 who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

1 Peter 5:4 NASB:

And when the Chief Shepherd appears [φανερωθέντος], you will receive the unfading crown of glory.

1 John 1.1-3 NASB:

1 What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the Word of Life— 2 and the life was manifested [ἐφανερώθη], and we have seen and testify and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was manifested [ἐφανερώθη] to us— 3 what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.

1 John 2.28 NASB:

28 And now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears [φανερωθῇ], we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.

1 John 3.2 NASB:

2 Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we shall be. We know that, when He appears [φανερωθῇ], we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him just as He is.

1 John 3.5, 8b NASB:

5 You know that He appeared [ἐφανερώθη] in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin. ....
8b The Son of God appeared [ἐφανερώθη] for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.

1 John 4:9 NASB:

9 By this the love of God was manifested [ἐφανερώθη] in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him.

References to Christ assuming human likeness in the epistles.

Romans 8.3-4 NASB:

3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness [ὁμοιώματι] of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Philippians 2.5-11 NASB:

5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form [μορφῇ] of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form [μορφὴν] of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness [ὁμοιώματι] of men. 8 Being found in appearance [σχήματι] as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Hebrews 2.14-18 NASB:

14 Therefore, since the children share [κεκοινώνηκεν] in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook [μετέσχεν] of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives. 16 For assuredly He does not give help to angels, but He gives help to the descendant of Abraham. 17 Therefore, He had to be made like [ὁμοιωθῆναι] His brethren in all things, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted.

Compare Acts 14.11 NASB:

11 When the crowds saw what Paul had done, they raised their voice, saying in the Lycaonian language, “The gods have become like [ὁμοιωθέντες] men and have come down to us.”

References to the messianic secret in the gospels.

Mark 1.34 (= Luke 4.41) NASB:

34 And He healed many who were ill with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and He was not permitting the demons to speak, because they knew who He was.

Mark 1.43-44 (= Matthew 8.4 = Luke 5.14) NASB:

43 And He sternly warned him and immediately sent him away, 44 and He *said to him, “See that you say nothing to anyone; but go, show yourself to the priest and offer for your cleansing what Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.”

Mark 3.12 (= Matthew 12.16) NASB:

11 Whenever the unclean spirits saw Him, they would fall down before Him and shout, “You are the Son of God!” 12 And He earnestly warned them not to tell who He was.

Mark 4.11-12 (= Matthew 13.11, 13 = Luke 8.10) NASB:

11 And He was saying to them, “To you has been given the mystery of the kingdom of God, but those who are outside get everything in parables, 12 so that while seeing, they may see and not perceive, and while hearing, they may hear and not understand, otherwise they might return and be forgiven.”

Mark 4.22 (= Luke 8.17) NASB:

22 For nothing is hidden [ἀπόκρυφον], except to be revealed [φανερωθῇ]; nor has anything been secret, but that it should come to light.

Mark 4.33-34 (= Matthew 13.34-36a) NASB:

33 With many such parables He was speaking the word to them, so far as they were able to hear it; 34 and He did not speak to them without a parable; but He was explaining everything privately to His own disciples.

Other notices of teachings given privately to the disciples include Mark 7.17; 8.31; 9.28, 31; 10.32b; and 13.3.
Mark 5.43 (= Luke 8.56) NASB:

43 And He gave them strict orders that no one should know about this, and He said that something should be given her to eat.

Mark 7.36 NASB:

36 And He gave them orders not to tell anyone; but the more He ordered them, the more widely they continued to proclaim it.

Mark 8.26 NASB:

26 And He sent him to his home, saying, “Do not even enter the village.”

Mark 8.30 (= Matthew 16.20 = Luke 9.21) NASB:

30 And He warned them to tell no one about Him.

Mark 9.9 (= Matthew 17.9) NASB:

9 As they were coming down from the mountain, He gave them orders not to relate to anyone what they had seen, until the Son of Man rose from the dead.

Mark 9.30 NASB:

30 From there they went out and began to go through Galilee, and He did not want anyone to know about it.

Matthew 9.30 NASB:

30 And their eyes were opened. And Jesus sternly warned them: “See that no one knows about this!”

Luke 10:21-22 NASB:

21 At that very time He rejoiced greatly in the Holy Spirit, and said, "I praise Thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that Thou didst hide [ἀπέκρυψας these things from the wise and intelligent and didst reveal them to babes. Yes, Father, for thus it was well-pleasing in Thy sight. 22 "All things have been handed over to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him."

John 1.31 NASB:

31 "And I did not recognize Him, but in order that He might be manifested [φανερωθῇ] to Israel, I came baptizing in water."

John 2.11 NASB:

This beginning of His signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested [ἐφανέρωσεν] His glory, and His disciples believed in Him.

John 7.4 NASB:

4 "For no one does anything in secret, when he himself seeks to be known publicly. If You do these things, show [φανέρωσον] Yourself to the world."

John 17.6 NASB:

6 "I manifested [ἐφανέρωσα] Thy name to the men whom Thou gavest Me out of the world; Thine they were, and Thou gavest them to Me, and they have kept Thy word."

References to the resurrection appearances in the gospels.

Matthew 28.16-20 NASB:

16 But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. 17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. 18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Mark 16.12, 14, 19 NASB:

12 And after that, He appeared [ἐφανερώθη] in a different form to two of them, while they were walking along on their way to the country. .... 14 And afterward He appeared [ἐφανερώθη] to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at the table; and He reproached them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who had seen Him after He had risen. .... 19 So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God.

Luke 24.13-16, 28-43, 50-51 NASB:

13 And behold, two of them were going that very day to a village named Emmaus, which was about seven miles from Jerusalem. 14 And they were talking with each other about all these things which had taken place. 15 While they were talking and discussing, Jesus Himself approached and began traveling with them. 16 But their eyes were prevented from recognizing Him. 32 They said to one another, “Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?” 33 And they got up that very hour and returned to Jerusalem, and found gathered together the eleven and those who were with them, 34 saying, “The Lord has really risen and has appeared to Simon.” 35 They began to relate their experiences on the road and how He was recognized by them in the breaking of the bread. ....

28 And they approached the village where they were going, and He acted as though He were going farther. 29 But they urged Him, saying, “Stay with us, for it is getting toward evening, and the day is now nearly over.” So He went in to stay with them. 30 When He had reclined at the table with them, He took the bread and blessed it, and breaking it, He began giving it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him; and He vanished from their sight. 36 While they were telling these things, He Himself stood in their midst and *said to them, “Peace be to you.” 37 But they were startled and frightened and thought that they were seeing a spirit. 38 And He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39 See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.” 40 And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. 41 While they still could not believe it because of their joy and amazement, He said to them, “Have you anything here to eat?” 42 They gave Him a piece of a broiled fish; 43 and He took it and ate it before them. ....

50 And He led them out as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands and blessed them. 51 While He was blessing them, He parted from them and was carried up into heaven.

Acts 1.9-11 NASB:

9 And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. 10 And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them. 11 They also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven.”

John 20.14-18 NASB:

14 When she had said this, she turned around and *saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus *said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” Supposing Him to be the gardener, she *said to Him, “Sir, if you have carried Him away, tell me where you have laid Him, and I will take Him away.” 16 Jesus *said to her, “Mary!” She turned and *said to Him in Hebrew, “Rabboni!” (which means, Teacher). 17 Jesus *said to her, “Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’” 18 Mary Magdalene *came, announcing to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and that He had said these things to her.

John 20-19-20, 26-29 NASB:

19 So when it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and *said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 And when He had said this, He showed them both His hands and His side. The disciples then rejoiced when they saw the Lord. .... 26 After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus *came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” 27 Then He *said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.” 28 Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus *said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.”

John 21.1 NASB:

1 After these things Jesus manifested [ἐφανέρωσεν] Himself again to the disciples at the Sea of Tiberias, and He manifested [ἐφανέρωσεν] Himself in this way.

John 21.14 NASB:

14 This is now the third time that Jesus was manifested [ἐφανερώθη] to the disciples, after He was raised from the dead.

Let me add two more instances which are not in the gospels. 1 Corinthians 9.1 NASB:

Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord?

1 Corinthians 15.3-11 NASB:

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; 7 then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; 8 and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. 9 For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me. 11 Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.

Potentially relevant references in later literature.

Ignatius of Antioch, Ephesians 19.1-3, translated by J. B. Lightfoot (http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... tfoot.html):

1 And hidden [ἔλαθεν] from the prince of this world were the virginity of Mary and her child-bearing and likewise also the death of the Lord -- three mysteries [μυστήρια] to be cried aloud -- the which were wrought in the silence of God.
2 How then were they made manifest [ἐφανερώθη] to the ages? A star shone forth in the heaven above all the stars; and its light was unutterable, and its strangeness caused amazement; and all the rest of the constellations with the sun and moon formed themselves into a chorus about the star; but the star itself far outshone them all; and there was perplexity to know whence came this strange appearance which was so unlike them.
3 From that time forward every sorcery and every spell was dissolved, the ignorance of wickedness vanished away, the ancient kingdom was pulled down, when God appeared in the likeness of man [ἀνθρωπίνως φανερουμένου] unto newness of everlasting life; and that which had been perfected in the counsels of God began to take effect. Thence all things were perturbed, because the abolishing of death was taken in hand.

Ascension of Isaiah 8.8-10; 9.12-15; 10.7-12, 17-31; 11.22-32 (all from the Vision), translated by R. H. Charles (http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... nsion.html):

8.8. For it is He alone to whose voice all the heavens and thrones give answer. I have therefore been empowered and sent to raise thee here that thou mayest see this glory,
8.9. And that thou mayest see the Lord of all those heavens and these thrones,
8.10. Undergoing (successive) transformation until He resembles your form and likeness.

9.12. And he said unto me: "Crowns and thrones of glory they do not receive, till the Beloved will descend in the form in which you will see Him descend [will descend, I say] into the world in the last days the Lord, who will be called Christ.
9.13. Nevertheless they see and know whose will be thrones, and whose the crowns when He has descended and been made in your form, and they will think that He is flesh and is a man.
9.14. And the god of that world will stretch forth his hand against the Son, and they will crucify Him on a tree, and will slay Him not knowing who He is.
9.15. And thus His descent, as you will see, will be hidden even from the heavens, so that it will not be known who He is.

10.7. And I heard the voice of the Most High, the Father of my Lord, saying to my Lord Christ who will be called Jesus:
10.8. "Go forth and descend through all the heavens, and thou wilt descend to the firmament and that world: to the angel in Sheol thou wilt descend, but to Haguel thou wilt not go.
10.9. And thou wilt become like unto the likeness of all who are in the five heavens.
10.10. And thou wilt be careful to become like the form of the angels of the firmament [and the angels also who are in Sheol].
10.11. And none of the angels of that world shall know that Thou art with Me of the seven heavens and of their angels.
10.12. And they shall not know that Thou art with Me, till with a loud voice I have called (to) the heavens, and their angels and their lights, (even) unto the sixth heaven, in order that you mayest judge and destroy the princes and angels and gods of that world, and the world that is dominated by them.

10.17. And so I saw my Lord go forth from the seventh heaven into the sixth heaven.
10.18. And the angel who conducted me [from this world was with me and] said unto me: "Understand, Isaiah, and see the transformation and descent of the Lord will appear."
10.19. And I saw, and when the angels saw Him, thereupon those in the sixth heaven praised and lauded Him; for He had not been transformed after the shape of the angels there, and they praised Him and I also praised with them.
10.20. And I saw when He descended into the fifth heaven, that in the fifth heaven He made Himself like unto the form of the angels there, and they did not praise Him (nor worship Him); for His form was like unto theirs.
10.21. And then He descended into the forth heaven, and made Himself like unto the form of the angels there.
10.22. And when they saw Him, they did not praise or laud Him; for His form was like unto their form.
10.23. And again I saw when He descended into the third heaven, and He made Himself like unto the form of the angels in the third heaven.
10.24. And those who kept the gate of the (third) heaven demanded the password, and the Lord gave (it) to them in order that He should not be recognized. And when they saw Him, they did not praise or laud Him; for His form was like unto their form.
10.25. And again I saw when He descended into the second heaven, and again He gave the password there; those who kept the gate proceeded to demand and the Lord to give.
10.26. And I saw when He made Himself like unto the form of the angels in the second heaven, and they saw Him and they did not praise Him; for His form was like unto their form.
10.27. And again I saw when He descended into the first heaven, and there also He gave the password to those who kept the gate, and He made Himself like unto the form of the angels who were on the left of that throne, and they neither praised nor lauded Him; for His form was like unto their form.
10.28. But as for me no one asked me on account of the angel who conducted me.
10.29. And again He descended into the firmament where dwelleth the ruler of this world, and He gave the password to those on the left, and His form was like theirs, and they did not praise Him there; but they were envying one another and fighting; for here there is a power of evil and envying about trifles.
10.30. And I saw when He descended and made Himself like unto the angels of the air, and He was like one of them.
10.31. And He gave no password; for one was plundering and doing violence to another.

11.2. And I saw one like unto a son of man, and he was dwelling with men in the world, and they did not know him [Latin and Slavonic; translation mine, from the Latin].

11.19. And after this the adversary envied Him and roused the children of Israel against Him, not knowing who He was, and they delivered Him to the king, and crucified Him, and He descended to the angel (of Sheol).
11.20. In Jerusalem indeed I saw Him being crucified on a tree:
11.21. And likewise after the third day rise again and remain days.
11.22. And the angel who conducted me said: "Understand, Isaiah": and I saw when He sent out the Twelve Apostles and ascended.
11.23. And I saw Him, and He was in the firmament, but He had not changed Himself into their form, and all the angels of the firmament and the Satans saw Him and they worshipped.
11.24. And there was much sorrow there, while they said: "How did our Lord descend in our midst, and we perceived not the glory [which has been upon Him], which we see has been upon Him from the sixth heaven?"
11.25. And He ascended into the second heaven, and He did not transform Himself, but all the angels who were on the right and on the left and the throne in the midst.
11.26. Both worshipped Him and praised Him and said: "How did our Lord escape us whilst descending, and we perceived not?"
11.27. And in like manner He ascended into the third heaven, and they praised and said in like manner.
11.28. And in the fourth heaven and in the fifth also they said precisely after the same manner.
11.29. But there was one glory, and from it He did not change Himself.
11.30. And I saw when He ascended into the sixth heaven, and they worshipped and glorified Him.
11.31. But in all the heavens the praise increased (in volume).
11.32. And I saw how He ascended into the seventh heaven, and all the righteous and all the angels praised Him. And then I saw Him sit down on the right hand of that Great Glory whose glory I told you that I could not behold.

Justin Martyr, Dialogue With Trypho 14:

"Of these and such like words written by the prophets, O Trypho," said I, "some have reference to the first advent of Christ, in which He is preached as inglorious, obscure [ἀειδὴς], and of mortal appearance: but others had reference to His second advent, when He shall appear in glory and above the clouds; and your nation shall see and know Him whom they have pierced, as Hosea, one of the twelve prophets, and Daniel, foretold."

Justin Martyr, Dialogue With Trypho 36:

The Psalm of David is this: .... 'The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and all that dwell therein. .... Lift up your gates, ye rulers; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in. Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts, He is the King of glory.' Accordingly, it is shown that Solomon is not the Lord of hosts; but when our Christ rose from the dead and ascended to heaven, the rulers in heaven, under appointment of God, are commanded to open the gates of heaven, that He who is King of glory may enter in, and having ascended, may sit on the right hand of the Father until He make the enemies His footstool, as has been made manifest by another Psalm. For when the rulers of heaven saw Him of uncomely and dishonoured appearance, and inglorious, not recognising Him, they inquired, 'Who is this King of glory?' And the Holy Spirit, either from the person of His Father, or from His own person, answers them, 'The Lord of hosts, He is this King of glory.'

Epistula Apostolorum 13, translated by M. R. James (http://wesley.nnu.edu/sermons-essays-bo ... -apostles/):

13 Now that which he revealed unto us [the apostles] is this, which he spake: It came to pass when I was about (minded) to come hither from the Father of all things, and passed through the heavens, then did I put on the wisdom of the Father, and I put on the power of his might. I was in heaven, and I passed by the archangels and the angels in their likeness, like as if I were one of them, among the princedoms and powers. I passed through them because I possessed the wisdom of him that had sent me. Now the chief captain of the angels, [is] Michael, and Gabriel and Uriel and Raphael followed me unto the fifth firmament (heaven), for they thought in their heart that I was one of them; such power was given me of my Father. And on that day did I adorn the archangels with a wonderful voice (so Copt.: Eth., Lat., I made them quake--amazed them), so that they should go unto the altar of the Father and serve and fulfil the ministry until I should return unto him. And so wrought I the likeness by my wisdom; for I became all things in all, that I might praise the dispensation of the Father and fulfil the glory of him that sent me (the verbs might well be transposed) and return unto him.

Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus 8.1-11:

8:1 For what man at all had any knowledge what God was, before He came?
8:2 Or dost thou accept the empty and nonsensical statements of those pretentious philosophers: of whom some said that God was fire (they call that God, whereunto they themselves shall go), and others water, and others some other of the elements which were created by God?
8:3 And yet if any of these statements is worthy of acceptance, any one other created thing might just as well be made out to be God.
8:4 Nay, all this is the quackery and deceit of the magicians;
8:5 and no man has either seen or recognised Him, but He revealed Himself.
8:6 And He revealed (Himself) by faith, whereby alone it is given to see God.
8:7 For God, the Master and Creator of the Universe, Who made all things and arranged them in order, was found to be not only friendly to men, but also long-suffering.
8:8 And such indeed He was always, and is, and will be, kindly and good and dispassionate and true, and He alone is good.
8:9 And having conceived a great and unutterable scheme He communicated it to His Son alone.
8:10 For so long as He kept and guarded His wise design as a mystery, He seemed to neglect us and to be careless about us.
8:11 But when He revealed it through His beloved Son, and manifested the purpose which He had prepared from the beginning, He gave us all these gifts at once, participation in His benefits, and sight and understanding of (mysteries) which none of us ever would have expected.

Irenaeus, Demonstration 84, translated by Armitage Robinson (http://www.ccel.org/ccel/irenaeus/demonstr.iv.html):

84. And the same says David again: Lift up your gates, ye rulers; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting gates, and the King of glory shall come in. For the everlasting gates are the heavens. But because the Word descended invisible to created things, He was not made known in His descent to them. Because the Word was made flesh, He was visible in His ascension; and, when the powers saw Him, the angels below cried out to those who were on the firmament: Lift up your gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting gates, that the King of glory may come in. And when they marvelled and said: Who is this? those who had already seen Him testified a second time: The Lord strong and mighty, he is the King of glory.

Irenaeus, Against Heresies 1.30.12-14 (http://textexcavation.com/irenaeusah1.html), writing of a miscellaneous heretical sect which he does not bother to name:

12. And since she herself had no rest either in heaven or on earth, she invoked her mother to assist her in her distress. Upon this, her mother, the first woman, was moved with compassion towards her daughter, on her repentance, and begged from the first man that Christ should be sent to her assistance, who, being sent forth, descended to his sister, and to the besprinkling of light. When he recognised her (that is, the Sophia below), her brother descended to her, and announced his advent through means of John, and prepared the baptism of repentance, and adopted Jesus beforehand, in order that on Christ descending he might find a pure vessel, and that by the son of that Ialdabaoth the woman might be announced by Christ. They further declare that he descended through the seven heavens, having assumed the likeness of their sons, and gradually emptied them of their power. For they maintain that the whole besprinkling of light rushed to him, and that Christ, descending to this world, first clothed his sister Sophia [with it], and that then both exulted in the mutual refreshment they felt in each other's society: this scene they describe as relating to bridegroom and bride. But Jesus, inasmuch as he was begotten of the Virgin through the agency of God, was wiser, purer, and more righteous than all other men: Christ united to Sophia descended into him, and thus Jesus Christ was produced.

13. They affirm that many of his disciples were not aware of the descent of Christ into him; but that, when Christ did descend on Jesus, he then began to work miracles, and heal, and announce the unknown Father, and openly to confess himself the son of the first man. The powers and the father of Jesus were angry at these proceedings, and laboured to destroy him; and when he was being led away for this purpose, they say that Christ himself, along with Sophia, departed from him into the state of an incorruptible Aeon, while Jesus was crucified. Christ, however, was not forgetful of his Jesus, but sent down a certain energy into him from above, which raised him up again in the body, which they call both animal and spiritual; for he sent the mundane parts back again into the world. When his disciples saw that he had risen, they did not recognise him-no, not even Jesus himself, by whom he rose again from the dead. And they assert that this very great error prevailed among his disciples, that they imagined he had risen in a mundane body, not knowing that "flesh and blood do not attain to the kingdom of God."

14. They strove to establish the descent and ascent of Christ, by the fact that neither before his baptism, nor after his resurrection from the dead, do his disciples state that he did any mighty works, not being aware that Jesus was united to Christ, and the incorruptible Aeon to the Hebdomad; and they declare his mundane body to be of the same nature as that of animals. But after his resurrection he tarried [on earth] eighteen months; and knowledge descending into him from above, he taught what was clear. He instructed a few of his disciples, whom he knew to be capable of understanding so great mysteries, in these things, and was then received up into heaven, Christ sitting down at the right hand of his father Ialdabaoth, that he may receive to himself the souls of those who have known them, after they have laid aside their mundane flesh, thus enriching himself without the knowledge or perception of his father; so that, in proportion as Jesus enriches himself with holy souls, to such an extent does his father suffer loss and is diminished, being emptied of his own power by these souls. For he will not now possess holy souls to send them down again into the world, except those only which are of his substance, that is, those into which he has breathed. But the consummation [of all things] will take place, when the whole besprinkling of the spirit of light is gathered together, and is carried off to form an incorruptible Aeon.

Naassene Psalm as quoted by Hippolytus, Refutation of All Heresies 5.5, translated by Alexander Roberts (http://www.gnosis.org/library/hyp_refut5.htm):

The world's producing law was Primal Mind,
And next was First-born's outpoured Chaos;
And third, the soul received its law of toil:
Encircl'd, therefore, with an acqueous form,
With care o'erpowered it succumbs to death.
Now holding sway, it eyes the light,
And now it weeps on misery flung;
Now it mourns, now it thrills with joy;
Now it wails, now it hears its doom;
Now it hears its doom, now it dies,
And now it leaves us, never to return.
It, hapless straying, treads the maze of ills.

But Jesus said, Father, behold,
A strife of ills across the earth
Wanders from thy breath (of wrath);
But bitter Chaos (man) seeks to shun,
And knows not how to pass it through.
On this account, O Father, send me;
Bearing seals, I shall descend;
Through ages whole I'll sweep,
All mysteries [μυστήρια] I'll unravel,
And forms [μορφάς] of Gods I'll show;
And secrets [κεκρυμμένα, literally hidden things] of the saintly path,
Styled "Gnosis," I'll impart.

Clementine Homily 3.20b, translated by the Reverend Thomas Smith (http://www.compassionatespirit.com/Homilies/Book-3.htm):

"But he would act most piously, if he should not allow to another to have it, but should say that he alone has it, who has changed his forms and his names from the beginning of the world, and so reappeared again and again in the world, until coming upon his own times, and being anointed with mercy for the works of God, he shall enjoy rest for ever. His honour it is to bear rule and lordship over all things, in air, earth, and waters. But in addition to these, himself having made man, he had breath, the indescribable garment of the soul, that he might be able to be immortal."

Clementine Recognition 3.53 (http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/080403.htm):

First of all, then, he is evil, in the judgment of God, who will not inquire what is advantageous to himself. For how can any one love another, if he does not love himself? Or to whom will that man not be an enemy, who cannot be a friend to himself? In order, therefore, that there might be a distinction between those who choose good and those who choose evil, God has concealed that which is profitable to men, i.e., the possession of the kingdom of heaven, and has laid it up and hidden it as a secret treasure, so that no one can easily attain it by his own power or knowledge. Yet He has brought the report of it, under various names and opinions, through successive generations, to the hearing of all: so that whosoever should be lovers of good, hearing it, might inquire and discover what is profitable and salutary to them; but that they should ask it, not from themselves, but from Him who has hidden it, and should pray that access and the way of knowledge might be given to them: which way is opened to those only who love it above all the good things of this world; and on no other condition can any one even understand it, however wise he may seem; but that those who neglect to inquire what is profitable and salutary to themselves, as self-haters and self-enemies, should be deprived of its good things, as lovers of evil things.

From the Teachings of Silvanus, translated by Malcolm L. Peel and Jan Zandee (http://gnosis.org/naghamm/silvanus.html):

O soul, persistent one, in what ignorance you exist! For who is your guide into the darkness? How many likenesses did Christ take on because of you! Although he was God, he was found among men as a man. He descended to the Underworld. He released the children of death. They were in travail, as the scripture of God has said. And he sealed up the (very) heart of it (the Underworld). And he broke its (the Underworld's) strong bows completely. And when all the powers had seen him, they fled, so that he might bring you, wretched one, up from the Abyss, and might die for you as a ransom for your sin. He saved you from the strong hand of the Underworld.

Ben.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am, edited 16 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: An inventory of references to the mystery of Christ.

Post by Peter Kirby »

It occurs to me that the curious phrase of Galatians, ' before whose eyes Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified ' , could be seen as a reference by way of contrast.

1 Corinthians and the whole 'we preach Christ crucified' thing also works better when his execution isn't public knowledge.

Of interest in this regard, while not quite Ascension of Isaiah in style, the Epistle of Barnabas and possibly 1 Clement have mini vague accounts of Jesus.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Ben C. Smith wrote:Just an unadorned, slightly categorized list of passages having to do with the descent, crucifixion, and ascent of Christ being secret, furtive, mysterious, hidden, or performed in human (or other) likeness as a disguise.
Would not all this mystery suggest one is dealing with something akin to Mythology 101......it's not the naked eye that sees but the eye of the mind....
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

These references seem mostly to be saying that various events were not expected until they happened, or that the correct interpretation of various events is not generally understood. The 'Markan secret' material is different, but only some of the events in Jesus' life are (temporarily) secret according to Mark, e.g. the transfiguration,.

Andrew Criddle
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Peter Kirby wrote:It occurs to me that the curious phrase of Galatians, ' before whose eyes Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified ' , could be seen as a reference by way of contrast.
Carrier interprets this verse as saying that Christ was forewritten as crucified, and that what those Galatian eyes saw was prophecies on a page. OHJ 570, 573:

Some likewise claim Paul says God 'displayed publicly' Jesus' death, following the NASB translation of Rom. 3.25, but as most other translations show, that is a mistranslation. The word is 'planned, proposed, put forward' (protithēmi), not 'displayed publicly'. Similarly Gal. 3.1, where the NASB has Paul saying, 'you foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?' The verb here is prographō, 'forewritten', not 'portrayed' (as I'll discuss later in this section).

Similarly, in Gal. 3.1, where Paul says, 'Oh you foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was foretold as crucified?', he is referring to scripture (proegraphē, 'written beforehand', hence 'foretold') and the fact that they had seen the relevant passages with their own eyes.

If he is correct, then of course Galatians 3.1 loses this force for me. However, I am not sure he is correct. The verb can mean to publicly display, and that meaning seems to me to go better with the mention of eyes than merely reading words on a page does. Still thinking that one through.
1 Corinthians and the whole 'we preach Christ crucified' thing also works better when his execution isn't public knowledge.
It would seem so.
Of interest in this regard, while not quite Ascension of Isaiah in style, the Epistle of Barnabas and possibly 1 Clement have mini vague accounts of Jesus.
Here are the passages in 1 Clement that potentially relate to the historical Jesus.

(On a separate note, it had been a while since I had read through this epistle from start to finish; doubtless due to my latest forays into the epistle to the Hebrews, this time it was very much impressed upon me how often Clement seems to breathe the same air as Hebrews.)

1 Clement 2.1:

Moreover, you were all distinguished by humility, and were in no respect puffed up with pride, but yielded obedience rather than extorted it, and were more willing to give than to receive? Content with the provision which God had made for you, and carefully attending to His words, you were inwardly filled with His doctrine, and His sufferings were before your eyes.

1 Clement 7.4:

Let us look steadfastly to the blood of Christ, and see how precious that blood is to God, which, having been shed for our salvation, has set the grace of repentance before the whole world.

1 Clement 13.1-4:

Let us therefore, brethren, be of humble mind, laying aside all haughtiness, and pride, and foolishness, and angry feelings; and let us act according to that which is written (for the Holy Spirit says, "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, neither let the rich man glory in his riches; but let him that glories glory in the Lord, in diligently seeking Him, and doing judgment and righteousness"), being especially mindful of the words of the Lord Jesus which He spoke, teaching us meekness and long-suffering. For thus He spoke: "Be merciful, that you may obtain mercy; forgive, that it may be forgiven to you; as you do, so shall it be done to you; as you judge, so shall you be judged; as you are kind, so shall kindness be shown to you; with what measure you measure, with the same it shall be measured to you." By this precept and by these rules let us establish ourselves, that we walk with all humility in obedience to His holy words. For the holy word says, "On whom shall I look, but on him that is meek and peaceable, and who trembles at My words?"

1 Clement 16.1-17:

For Christ is of those who are humble-minded, and not of those who exalt themselves over His flock. Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Sceptre of the majesty of God, did not come in the pomp of pride or arrogance, although He might have done so, but in a lowly condition, as the Holy Spirit had declared regarding Him. For He says.... [Here he quotes Isaiah 53 in its entirety.] And again He says, "I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people. All who see Me have derided Me; they have spoken with their lips; they have wagged their head, [saying] He hoped in God, let Him deliver Him, let Him save Him, since He delights in Him [= Psalm 22.6-8]." You see, beloved, what is the example which has been given us; for if the Lord thus humbled Himself, what shall we do who have through Him come under the yoke of His grace?

1 Clement 21.6:

Let us reverence the Lord Jesus Christ, whose blood was given for us; let us esteem those who have the rule over us; let us honour the aged among us; let us train up the young men in the fear of God; let us direct our wives to that which is good.

1 Clement 23.5:

Of a truth, soon and suddenly shall His will be accomplished, as the Scripture also bears witness, saying, "Speedily will He come, and will not tarry;" and, "The Lord shall suddenly come to His temple, even the Holy One, for whom you look."

1 Clement 24.1-2:

Let us consider, beloved, how the Lord continually proves to us that there shall be a future resurrection, of which He has rendered the Lord Jesus Christ the first-fruits by raising Him from the dead. Let us contemplate, beloved, the resurrection which is at all times taking place.

1 Clement 32.1-2:

Whosoever will candidly consider each particular, will recognise the greatness of the gifts which were given by him. For from him have sprung the priests and all the Levites who minister at the altar of God. From him also [was descended] our Lord Jesus Christ according to the flesh. From him [arose] kings, princes, and rulers of the race of Judah. Nor are his other tribes in small glory, inasmuch as God had promised, "Your seed shall be as the stars of heaven."

1 Clement 36.2:

By Him we look up to the heights of heaven. By Him we behold, as in a glass, His immaculate and most excellent visage. By Him are the eyes of our hearts opened. By Him our foolish and darkened understanding blossoms up anew towards His marvellous light. By Him the Lord has willed that we should taste of immortal knowledge, "who, being the brightness of His majesty, is by so much greater than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they."

1 Clement 42.1-5:

The apostles have preached the Gospel to us from the Lord Jesus Christ; Jesus Christ [has done sol from God. Christ therefore was sent forth by God, and the apostles by Christ. Both these appointments, then, were made in an orderly way, according to the will of God. Having therefore received their orders, and being fully assured by the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, and established in the word of God, with full assurance of the Holy Ghost, they went forth proclaiming that the kingdom of God was at hand. And thus preaching through countries and cities, they appointed the first-fruits [of their labours], having first proved them by the Spirit, to be bishops and deacons of those who should afterwards believe. Nor was this any new thing, since indeed many ages before it was written concerning bishops and deacons. For thus says the Scripture a certain place, "I will appoint their bishops s in righteousness, and their deacons in faith."

1 Clement 46.7b-8:

Remember the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, how He said, "Woe to that man [by whom offences come]! It were better for him that he had never been born, than that he should cast a stumbling-block before one of my elect. Yea, it were better for him that a millstone should be hung about [his neck], and he should be sunk in the depths of the sea, than that he should cast a stumbling-block before one of my little ones.

1 Clement 49.6:

In love has the Lord taken us to Himself. On account of the Love he bore us, Jesus Christ our Lord gave His blood for us by the will of God; His flesh for our flesh, and His soul for our souls.

1 Clement 50.3:

All the generations from Adam even to this day have passed away; but those who, through the grace of God, have been made perfect in love, now possess a place among the godly, and shall be made manifest at the revelation of the kingdom of Christ.

Will get to Barnabas soonish, with luck.

Ben.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Peter Kirby wrote:It occurs to me that the curious phrase of Galatians, ' before whose eyes Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified ' , could be seen as a reference by way of contrast.

For convenience, here is a BibleWorks list of all references to the cross or crucifixion in the epistles (and one reference in the apocalypse of John):

(Romans 6:6 NAS) knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, that our body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin;
(1 Corinthians 1:13 NAS) Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
(1 Corinthians 1:17 NAS) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, that the cross of Christ should not be made void.
(1 Corinthians 1:18 NAS) For the word of the cross is to those who are perishing foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
(1 Corinthians 1:23 NAS) but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block, and to Gentiles foolishness,
(1 Corinthians 2:2 NAS) For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
(1 Corinthians 2:8 NAS) the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory;
(2 Corinthians 13:4 NAS) For indeed He was crucified because of weakness, yet He lives because of the power of God. For we also are weak in Him, yet we shall live with Him because of the power of God directed toward you.
(Galatians 2:19 NAS) "For through the Law I died to the Law, that I might live to God.
(Galatians 3:1 NAS) You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?
(Galatians 5:11 NAS) But I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why am I still persecuted? Then the stumbling block of the cross has been abolished.
(Galatians 5:24 NAS) Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
(Galatians 6:12 NAS) Those who desire to make a good showing in the flesh try to compel you to be circumcised, simply that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ.
(Galatians 6:14 NAS) But may it never be that I should boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
(Ephesians 2:16 NAS) and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.
(Philippians 2:8 NAS) And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
(Philippians 3:18 NAS) For many walk, of whom I often told you, and now tell you even weeping, that they are enemies of the cross of Christ,
(Colossians 1:20 NAS) and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.
(Colossians 2:14 NAS) having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us and which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
(Hebrews 6:6 NAS) and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God, and put Him to open shame.
(Hebrews 12:2 NAS) fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
(Revelation 11:8 NAS) And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which mystically is called Sodom and Egypt, where also their Lord was crucified.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

A definite pattern seems to emerge from the texts presented in the OP. This pattern seems based on a template provided by 1 Enoch 61.10-12, or one very much like it:

Enoch 61:10 Then shall the kings, the princes, and all who possess the earth, glorify him who has dominion over all things, him who was concealed; for from the beginning the Son of man existed in secret [0], whom the Most High preserved in the presence of his power, and revealed to the elect [1].
Enoch 61:11 He shall sow the congregation of the saints, and of the elect; and all the elect shall stand before him in that day.
Enoch 61:12 All the kings, the princes, the exalted, and those who rule over all the earth, shall fall down on their faces before him, and shall worship him [2].

The revelation of the son of man proceeds over three distinct steps in this passage:

0. No revelation at all; from the beginning he exists in secret, and is known only to the most high God.
1. Revelation only to the elect (call this 1a); some passages will add that the elect are to preach this revelation to the world (call this 1b).
2. Revelation to the entire world; no preaching by the elect needed for this one; it will be obvious to all.

I find this pattern all over the epistles. Let us start with Romans 16.25-27 NASB:

25 Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery [μυστηρίου] which has been kept secret for long ages past [0], 26 but now is manifested [1a, φανερωθέντος], and by the Scriptures of the prophets [διά τε γραφῶν προφητικῶν], according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known to all the nations [1b], leading to obedience of faith; 27 to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, be the glory forever. Amen.

This epistle represents step 2 elsewhere, such as in Romans 8.18-19. Notice above that it is through the prophetical writings that that the mystery is made known to the nations. Is this not what we find time and time again in the Christian texts?

1 Corinthians 2.6-9; 1.7-8 NASB:

2.6 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; 7 but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery [μυστηρίῳ], the hidden [ἀποκεκρυμμένην] wisdom which God predestined before the ages [0] to our glory; 8 the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord [1] of glory; 9 but just as it is written,
“Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
And which have not entered the heart of man,
All that God has prepared for those who love Him.” ~~~

1.7 so that you are not lacking in any gift, awaiting eagerly the revelation [2, ἀποκάλυψιν] of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8 who will also confirm you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I locate the crucifixion at step 1 partly by analogy with other passages to come, partly because it seems clear that the crucifixion has been revealed to the elect (1a), and is the content of what is preached (1b), yet falls short of the final revelation, or parousia, in terms of revelation to the entire world.

Ephesians 1.9-12; 3.1-10 NASB:

1.9 He made known to us the mystery [μυστήριον] of His will [1], according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him 10 with a view to an administration suitable to the fulness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ [2], things in the heavens and things upon the earth. In Him 11 also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, 12 to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. ....

3.1 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles-- 2 if indeed you have heard of the stewardship of God's grace which was given to me for you; 3 that by revelation there was made known to me the mystery [μυστήριον], as I wrote before in brief. 4 And by referring to this, when you read you can understand my insight into the mystery [μυστηρίῳ] of Christ, 5 which in other generations was not made known to the sons of men [0], as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit [1a]; 6 to be specific, that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel, 7 of which I was made a minister, according to the gift of God's grace which was given to me according to the working of His power. 8 To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ [1b], 9 and to bring to light what is the administration of the mystery [μυστηρίου] which for ages has been hidden [ἀποκεκρυμμένου] in God who created all things; 10 so that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly places.

Philippians 2.5-11 NASB:

5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form [μορφῇ] of God [0], did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form [μορφὴν] of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness [ὁμοιώματι] of men. 8 Being found in appearance [σχήματι] as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross [1]. 9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord [2], to the glory of God the Father.

The kenosis, or emptying of himself, to me logically involves the suspension of all things that made him divine; it is reminiscent of the descent of the son of God in the Ascension of Isaiah, during which he takes the form of decreasingly divine creatures on the way down through the heavens, until he is divested of all traces of divinity and has assumed human form (3.13; 8.10, 26; 9.13; 11.2 Latin & Slavonic).

Colossians 1.25-27; 3.4 NASB:

1.25 Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God, 26 that is, the mystery [μυστήριον] which has been hidden [ἀποκεκρυμμένον] from the past ages and generations [0], but has now been manifested [ἐφανερώθη] to His saints [1a], 27 to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery [μυστηρίου] among the Gentiles [1b], which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. ....

3.4 When Christ, who is our life, is revealed [φανερωθῇ], then you also will be revealed [φανερωθήσεσθε] with Him in glory [2].

1 Timothy 3.16; 6.13-14 NASB:

3.16 And by common confession great is the mystery [μυστήριον] of godliness:
He who was revealed [ἐφανερώθη] in the flesh [1a],
Was vindicated in the Spirit,
Beheld by angels,
Proclaimed among the nations [1b],
Believed on in the world,
Taken up in glory. ....

6.13 I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who testified the good confession before Pontius Pilate, 14 that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing [ἐπιφανείᾳς] of our Lord Jesus Christ [2], 15 which He will bring about at the proper time-- He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords; 16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light; whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.

Step [0] may not be as evident in this epistle as in some of the others; I have not checked exhaustively yet, though.

2 Timothy 1.8-10; 4.1 NASB:

8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, or of me His prisoner; but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity [0], 10 but now has been revealed [φανερωθεῖσαν] by the appearing [ἐπιφανείᾳς] of our Savior Christ Jesus [1a], who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher [1b]. ....

4.1 I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing [ἐπιφάνειαν] and His kingdom [2]....

Titus 1.1-4; 2.13 NASB:

1.1 Paul, a bond-servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness, 2 in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago [0], 3 but at the proper time manifested [ἐφανέρωσεν], even His word [1a], in the proclamation with which I was entrusted [1b] according to the commandment of God our Savior; 4 to Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior. ....

...looking for the blessed hope and the appearing [ἐπιφάνειαν] of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus [2]....

1 Peter 1.20-21; 5.4 NASB:

1.20 For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world [0], but has appeared [φανερωθέντος] in these last times for the sake of you [1] 21 who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

5.And when the Chief Shepherd appears [φανερωθέντος], you will receive the unfading crown of glory [2].

1 John 1.1-3; 2.28 NASB:

1.1 What was from the beginning [0? (refer to John 1.1)], what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the Word of Life— 2 and the life was manifested [ἐφανερώθη], and we have seen and testify and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father [0] and was manifested [ἐφανερώθη] to us [1] — 3 what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ. ....

2.28 And now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears [2, φανερωθῇ], we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.

One can see that this pattern is pretty pervasive.
andrewcriddle wrote:These references seem mostly to be saying that various events were not expected until they happened, or that the correct interpretation of various events is not generally understood. The 'Markan secret' material is different, but only some of the events in Jesus' life are (temporarily) secret according to Mark, e.g. the transfiguration.
This may very well be. However, I have several observations:
  1. A passage such as Romans 16.25-27 (possibly also 1 Corinthians 15.3-4) seems to come right out and say that the preaching about Christ is through the scriptures, which makes it sound like the preacher is using the scriptures to talk about the relevant points of the gospel, quite a credible assertion given that we actually see this happening throughout so many early texts; virtually every time something is said about Christ, there is a scriptural precedent lurking either in plain view or at least in our peripheral vision. This may be simply a matter of the earliest believers taking historical events and overlaying them with what they regarded as the scriptural predictions of those events, to the point where the event itself seems to be based on the scriptures; you and I came to this same crux in the epistle to the Hebrews regarding the derivation from Judah: does the author know what tribe the historical Jesus is from, and is applying scripture to it, or is he deriving the knowledge itself from scripture?
  2. It is interesting in that regard to note that, as time goes on, Christians find less and less necessity to rely solely on the scriptures for the information they present. Oh, they never leave behind the urge to cite the scriptures as predictive of the events they discuss; that urge is still a thing today, as well you know. But other materials come along to supplement the Jewish scriptures. Soon they have gospels they can refer to; and by the time Justin Martyr comes along there are even official records that can allegedly be consulted. I cannot help but wonder whether there might be something to the fact that the early Christians seem to base their beliefs and preaching on scripture alone while the later Christians seem to base theirs on a potent combination of scripture, sacred histories, and secular histories.
  3. There seems to be a thread running through some of these passages that implies that the crucifixion itself is an event that had to be revealed. Texts that parallel the relevant parts of the Ascension of Isaiah seem to say that demons and spirits did not recognize the son of God as he was being crucified; this is different than them merely not knowing what crucifying him would do; it seems to be a matter of a complete disguising of his identity. If that is the case, and the spirit world has no idea who this human is, how can humans be expected to know? More to the point, if humans knew what was happening, how could the spirits not know?
  4. I guess two options become available: either (A) some actual victim of crucifixion was later revealed (to the elect, as per 1 Enoch) to have been the Christ all along or (B) the bare fact that the Christ had been crucified was later revealed, but with few if any details at first, until further revelation (and study of the scriptures) filled them in. Of course, what I am considering here is option B (though in the past I have gone with option A); I hasten to add that option B on its own may apply either to a crucifixion on earth (with the disguised nature of the event in full play as a point of doctrine, as Peter calls it) or to a crucifixion somewhere else (in which case the disguise is not strictly needed as such a point of doctrine, but is nevertheless perfectly explicable in terms of the myth itself, the tricking of the demonic forces being the name of the game). Option A might have to explain why only scripture or bare assertion seem to be used at first to describe the event, across so many possibly early writings, with no specific situating of it in time and space, whereas option B is fine with that.
  5. I personally am not very fond of the notion that the crucifixion was originally envisioned as happening somewhere other than earth. I am open to being persuaded otherwise, and I think that the suggestion of the abyss or the underworld is far better, based on the texts that we have, than that of any of the heavens or the firmament. But to me it seems that, if the original story was that Christ died on the earth, but at an unspecified time and place, then the transition from that earliest layer of tradition to the later layers is pretty smooth and predictable. The exact same process we see at work later in the Christian tradition, in which an existing story accumulates more details based upon scriptural exegesis and related factors, simply goes all the way back to the beginning. Mentions of tribal affiliation, human flesh or likeness, birthing from a woman, and other details that seem perfectly at home on the earth are, in fact, perfectly at home on the earth, with no straining of interpretation to imagine otherwise. The path becomes clear for obvious scriptural passages from which to derive a crucifixion, such as Wisdom of Solomon 2 (with its righteous man suffering a shameful death at the hands of the unrighteous, the most obvious shameful death in Roman times being crucifixion), to have come earlier in the process rather than later, after the venue had been moved to earth. The whole process just seems a bit smoother to me; but again, I am open to being persuaded otherwise.
  6. The messianic secret looks to me like it might be a way of balancing two conflicting trends: (A) that the first advent started out as a completely obscure, disguised affair with no miracles, no teaching, no preaching, and no messianic claims; and (B) that the first advent eventually started accumulating such details, like legends are wont to do. The (not altogether effective) solution to this problem: Jesus worked miracles which pegged him as the Christ, but did so as secretly as possible. Mark need not have known exactly what had earlier been at stake with regard to the secrecy and disguise; but those ideas persisted for a long time, and he felt he had to deal with them, to include them, while simultaneously succumbing to the overwhelming urge to lay more and more obviously messianic layers upon that first advent. This idea is not fully formed for me; I am still very much considering it.
Ben.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Peter Kirby wrote:Of interest in this regard, while not quite Ascension of Isaiah in style, the Epistle of Barnabas and possibly 1 Clement have mini vague accounts of Jesus.
Here are the passages in the epistle of Barnabas that potentially relate to the historical Jesus.

Barnabas 4.14:

And all the more attend to this, my brethren, when ye reflect and behold, that after so great signs and wonders were wrought in Israel, they were thus [at length] abandoned. Let us beware lest we be found [fulfilling that saying], as it is written, "Many are called, but few are chosen."

Barnabas 5.1-14:

For to this end the Lord endured to deliver up His flesh to corruption, that we might be sanctified through the remission of sins, which is effected by His blood of sprinkling. For it is written concerning Him, partly with reference to Israel, and partly to us; and [the Scripture] saith thus: "He was wounded for our transgressions, and braised for our iniquities: with His stripes we are healed. He was brought as a sheep to the slaughter, and as a lamb which is dumb before its shearer." Therefore we ought to be deeply grateful to the Lord, because He has both made known to us things that are past, and hath given us wisdom concerning things present, and hath not left us without understanding in regard to things which are to come. Now, the Scripture saith, "Not unjustly are nets spread out for birds." This means that the man perishes justly, who, having a knowledge of the way of righteousness, rushes off into the way of darkness. And further, my brethren: if the Lord endured to suffer for our soul, He being Lord of all the world, to whom God said at the foundation of the world, "Let us make man after our image, and after our likeness," understand how it was that He endured to suffer at the hand of men. The prophets, having obtained grace from Him, prophesied concerning Him. And He (since it behooved Him to appear in flesh), that He might abolish death, and reveal the resurrection from the dead, endured [what and as He did], in order that He might fulfill the promise made unto the fathers, and by preparing a new people for Himself, might show, while He dwelt on earth, that He, when He has raised mankind, will also judge them. Moreover, teaching Israel, and doing so great miracles and signs, He preached [the truth] to him, and greatly loved him. But when He chose His own apostles who where to preach His Gospel, [He did so from among those] who were sinners above all sin, that He might show He came "not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Then He manifested Himself to be the Son of God. For if He had not come in the flesh, how could men have been saved by beholding Him? Since looking upon the sun which is to cease to exist, and is the work of His hands, their eyes are not able to bear his rays. The Son of God therefore came in the flesh with this view, that He might bring to a head the sum of their sins who had persecuted His prophets to the death. For this purpose, then, He endured. For God saith, "The stroke of his flesh is from them;" and "when I shall smite the Shepherd, then the sheep of the flock shall be scattered." He himself willed thus to suffer, for it was necessary that He should suffer on the tree. For says he Who prophesies regarding Him, "Spare my soul from the sword, fasten my flesh with nails; for the assemblies of the wicked have risen up against me." And again he says, "Behold, I have given my back to scourges, and my cheeks to strokes, and I have set my countenance as a firm rock."

Barnabas 6.1-9:

When, therefore, He has fulfilled the commandment, what saith He? "Who is he that will contend with Me? let him oppose Me: or who is he that will enter into judgment with Me? let him draw near to the servant of the Lord." "Woe unto you, for ye shall all wax old, like a garment, and the moth shall eat you up." And again the prophet says, "Since as a mighty stone He is laid for crushing, behold I cast down for the foundations of Zion a stone, precious, elect, a corner-stone, honourable." Next, what says He? "And he who shall trust" in it shall live for ever." Is our hope, then, upon a stone? Far from it. But [the language is used] inasmuch as He laid his flesh [as a foundation] with power; for He says, "And He placed me as a firm rock." And the prophet says again, "The stone which the builders rejected, the same has become the head of the corner." And again he says, "This is the great and wonderful day which the Lord hath made. I write the more simply unto you, that ye may understand. I am the off-scouring of your love. What, then, again says the prophet? "The assembly of the wicked surrounded me; they encompassed me as bees do a honeycomb," and "upon my garment they cast lots." Since, therefore, He was about to be manifested and to suffer in the flesh, His suffering was foreshown. For the prophet speaks against Israel, "Woe to their soul, because they have counselted an evil counsel against themselves, saying, Let us bind the just one, because he is displeasing to us." And Moses also says to them, "Behold these things, saith the Lord God: Enter into the good land which the Lord sware [to give] to Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and inherit ye it, a land flowing with milk and honey." What, then, says Knowledge? Learn: "Trust," she says, "in Him who is to be manifested to you in the flesh--that is, Jesus." For man is earth in a suffering state, for the formation of Adam was from the face of the earth.

Barnabas 7.1-11:

Understand, then, ye children of gladness, that the good Lord has foreshown all things to us, that we might know to whom we ought for everything to render thanksgiving and praise. If therefore the Son of God, who is Lord all things], and who will judge the living and the dead, suffered, that His stroke might give us life, let us believe that the Son of God could not have suffered except for our sakes. Moreover, when fixed to the cross, He had given Him to drink vinegar and gall. Hearken how the priests of the people gave previous indications of this. His commandment having been written, the Lord enjoined, that whosoever did not keep the fast should be put to death, because He also Himself was to offer in sacrifice for our sins the vessel of the Spirit, in order that the type established in Isaac when he was offered upon the altar might be fully accomplished. What, then, says He in the prophet? "And let them eat of the goat which is offered, with fasting, for all their sins." Attend carefully: "And let all the priests alone eat the inwards, unwashed with vinegar." Wherefore? Because to me, who am to offer my flesh for the sins of my new people, ye are to give gall with vinegar to drink: eat ye alone, while the people fast and mourn in sackcloth and ashes. [These things were done] that He might show that it was necessary for Him to suffer for them. How, then, ran the commandment? Give your attention. Take two goats of goodly aspect, and similar to each other, and offer them. And let the priest take one as a burnt-offering for sins. And what should they do with the other? "Accursed," says He, "is the one." Mark how the type of Jesus now comes out. "And all of you spit upon it, and pierce it, and encircle its head with scarlet wool, and thus let it be driven into the wilderness." And when all this has been done, he who bears the goat brings it into the desert, and takes the wool off from it, and places that upon a shrub which is called Rachia, of which also we are accustomed to eat the fruits when we find them in the field. Of this kind of shrub alone the fruits are sweet. Why then, again, is this? Give good heed. [You see] "one upon the altar, and the other accursed;" and why [do you behold] the one that is accursed crowned? Because they shall see Him then in that day having a scarlet robe about his body down to his feet; and they shall say, Is not this He whom we once despised, and pierced, and mocked, and crucified? Truly this is He who then declared Himself to be the Son of God. For how like is He to Him! With a view to this, [He required] the goats to be of goodly aspect, and similar, that, when they see Him then coming, they may be amazed by the likeness of the goat. Behold, then, the type of Jesus who was to suffer. But why is it that they place the wool in the midst of thorns? It is a type of Jesus set before the view of the Church. [They place the wool among thorns], that any one who wishes to bear it away may find it necessary to suffer much, because the thorn is formidable, and thus obtain it only as the result of suffering. Thus also, says He, "Those who wish to behold Me, and lay hold of My kingdom, must through tribulation and suffering obtain Me."

Barnabas 8.1-7:

Now what do you suppose this to be a type of, that a command was given to Israel, that men of the greatest wickedness should offer a heifer, and slay and burn it, and, that then boys should take the ashes, and put these into vessels, and bind round a stick purple wool along with hyssop, and that thus the boys should sprinkle the people, one by one, in order that they might be purified from their sins? Consider how He speaks to you with simplicity. The calf is Jesus: the sinful men offering it are those who led Him to the slaughter. But now the men are no longer guilty, are no longer regarded as sinners. And the boys that sprinkle are those that have proclaimed to us the remission of sins and purification of heart. To these He gave authority to preach the Gospel, being twelve in number, corresponding to the twelve tribes of Israel. But why are there three boys that sprinkle? To correspond to Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, because these were great with God. And why was the wool [placed] upon the wood? Because by wood Jesus holds His kingdom, so that [through the cross] those believing on Him shall live for ever. But why was hyssop joined with the wool? Because in His kingdom the days will be evil and polluted in which we shall be saved, [and] because he who suffers in body is cured through the cleansing efficacy of hyssop. And on this account the things which stand thus are clear to us, but obscure to them because they did not hear the voice of the Lord.

Barnabas 9.8-9:

For [the Scripture] saith, "And Abraham circumcised ten, and eight, and three hundred men of his household." What, then, was the knowledge given to him in this? Learn the eighteen first, and then the three hundred. The ten and the eight are thus denoted--Ten by I, and Eight by H. You have [the initials of the, name of] Jesus. And because the cross was to express the grace [of our redemption] by the letter The says also, "Three Hundred." He signifies, therefore, Jesus by two letters, and the cross by one. He knows this, who has put within us the engrafted gift of His doctrine. No one has been admitted by me to a more excellent piece of knowledge than this, but I know that ye are worthy.

Barnabas 12.1-11:

In like manner He points to the cross of Christ in another prophet, who saith, "And when shall these things be accomplished? And the Lord saith, When a tree shall be bent down, and again arise, and when blood shall flow out of wood." Here again you have an intimation concerning the cross, and Him who should be crucified. Yet again He speaks of this in Moses, when Israel was attacked by strangers. And that He might remind them, when assailed, that it was on account of their sins they were delivered to death, the Spirit speaks to the heart of Moses, that he should make a figure of the cross, and of Him about to suffer thereon; for unless they put their trust in Him, they shall be overcome for ever. Moses therefore placed one weapon above another in the midst of the hill, and standing upon it, so as to be higher than all the people, he stretched forth his hands, and thus again Israel acquired the mastery. But when again he let down his hands, they were again destroyed. For what reason? That they might know that they could not be saved unless they put their trust in Him. And in another prophet He declares, "All day long I have stretched forth My hands to an unbelieving people, and one that gainsays My righteous way." And again Moses makes a type of Jesus, [signifying] that it was necessary for Him to suffer, [and also] that He would be the author of life [to others], whom they believed to have destroyed on the cross when Israel was failing. For since transgression was committed by Eve through means of the serpent, [the Lord] brought it to pass that every [kind of] serpents bit them, and they died, that He might convince them, that on account of their transgression they were given over to the straits of death. Moreover Moses, when he commanded, "Ye shall not have any graven or molten [image] for your God," did so that he might reveal a type of Jesus. Moses then makes a brazen serpent, and places it upon a beam, and by proclamation assembles the people. When, therefore, they were come together, they besought Moses that he would offer sacrifice in their behalf, and pray for their recovery. And Moses spake unto them, saying, "When any one of you is bitten, let him come to the serpent placed on the pole; and let him hope and believe, that even though dead, it is able to give him life, and immediately he shall be restored." And they did so. Thou hast in this also [an indication of] the glory of Jesus; for in Him and to Him are all things. What, again, says Moses to Jesus (Joshua) the son of Nave, when he gave him this name, as being a prophet, with this view only, that all the people might hear that the Father would reveal all things concerning His Son Jesus to the son of Nave? This name then being given him when he sent him to spy out the land, he said, "Take a book into thy hands, and write what the Lord declares, that the Son of God will in the last days cut off from the roots all the house of Amalek." Behold again: Jesus who was manifested, both by type and in the flesh, is not the Son of man, but the Son of God. Since, therefore, they were to say that Christ was the son of David, fearing and understanding the error of the wicked, he saith, "The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit at My right hand, until I make Thine enemies Thy footstool." And again, thus saith Isaiah, "The Lord said to Christ, my Lord, whose right hand I have holden, that the nations should yield obedience before Him; and I will break in pieces the strength of kings." Behold how David calleth Him Lord and the Son of God.

Barnabas 14.4-6:

Learn now how we have received it. Moses, as a servant, received it; but the Lord himself, having suffered in our behalf, hath given it to us, that we should be the people of inheritance. But He was manifested [ἐφανερώθη], in order that they might be perfected in their iniquities, and that we, being constituted heirs through Him, might receive the testament of the Lord Jesus, who was prepared for this end, that by His personal manifestation, redeeming our hearts (which were already wasted by death, and given over to the iniquity of error) from darkness, He might by His word enter into a covenant with us. For it is written how the Father, about to redeem us from darkness, commanded Him to prepare a holy people for Himself.

Barnabas 15.8-9:

Further, He says to them, "Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure." Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
TedM

Post by TedM »

This may or may not be of some value. I wrote it a long time ago, so might not see it the same today:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/tedrika/d ... 0/id5.html
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Ben,

WRT the Parables of Enoch, I took interest in this one section because I was researching the matter for a separate thread on the Judaism section. Laurence first translated Ethiopic Enoch in 1821. The online edition was one revised anonymously by Charles Gill in 1883, but like all online translations of ancient literature, the webmaster makes scant reference to the actual source of the text (Gawd do I hate online resources like this). Obviously Laurence numbers chapters and verses differently than Charles and later translators like Isaac did(do), as the latter two number this section chapter 62:1-16.

Anyways, I am not so certain that the Ethiopic word variously translated "concealed" (Laurence & Isaac), or "hidden" (Charles) means that the son of man was never before known, but that he was "preserved" in the presence of the Most High's power/might. It seems this might explain why Laurence felt obliged to translate "existed in secret" the same word, it seems, that the others translate "preserved". That is, in the beginning (of world history, before the flood), he was preserved (taken up, translated) to be with God. He was not "hidden" so much as "secreted away" where he was safe, because God had a plan to use him in the day of Judgment. However, he was in the meantime "revealed to the (holy and ) elect ones" among mankind, I suppose by means of the books of his experiences while traveling in heaven, which he had left for them. Those who paid them mind, the elect ones, "shall stand (proudly) before" the son of man who would judge the kings & the mighty, and the sad state of affairs would be reversed and it would be the kings & the mighty who would tremble in fear of the punishments they had once had inflicted upon the elect ones. Enoch writes what he sees, ignorant of the fact that it will be he himself who would be that judge, which he learns in chapter 71 (Charles, Isaac).

R. Laurence (1821, Revised by Charles Gill, 1883)
R. H. Charles (1913)
E. Isaac (1983)
Enoch 61:1 Thus the Lord commanded the kings, the princes, the exalted, and those who dwell on earth, saying, Open your eyes, and lift up your horns, if you are capable of comprehending the Elect One. 1EN 62:1 And thus the Lord commanded the kings and the mighty and the exalted, and those who dwell on the earth, and said: 'Open your eyes and lift up your horns if ye are able to recognize the Elect One.' 62:1 Thus the Lord commanded the kings, the governors, the high officials,a and the landlordsb and said, “Open your eyes and lift up your eyebrows—if you are able to recognize the Elect One!”
Enoch 61:2 The Lord of spirits sat upon the throne of his glory. 1EN 62:2a And the Lord of Spirits seated him on the throne of His glory, 62:2a The Lord of the Spirits has sat downc on the throne of his glory,
Enoch 61:3 And the spirit of righteousness was poured out over him. 1EN 62:2b And the spirit of righteousness was poured out upon him, 62:2b and the spirit of righteousness has been poured out upon him.
Enoch 61:4 The word of his mouth shall destroy all the sinners and all the ungodly, who shall perish at his presence. 1EN 62:2c And the word of his mouth slays all the sinners, And all the unrighteous are destroyed from before his face. 62:2c The word of his mouth will do the sinnersd in; and all the oppressors shall be eliminatede from before his face.
Enoch 61:5 In that day shall all the kings, the princes, the exalted, and those who possess the earth, stand up, behold, and perceive, that he is sitting on the throne of his glory; that before him the saints shall be judged in righteousness; 1EN 62:3a And there shall stand up in that day all the kings and the mighty, And the exalted and those who hold the earth, And they shall see and recognize How he sits on the throne of his glory, And righteousness is judged before him, 62:3a On the day of judgmentf all the kings, the governors, the high officials, and the landlords shall see and recognize him — how he sits on the throne of his glory, and righteousness is judged before him,
Enoch 61:6 And that nothing, which shall be spoken before him, shall be spoken in vain. 1EN 62:3b And no lying word is spoken before him. 62:3b and that no nonsensical talk shall be uttered in his presence.
Enoch 61:7 Trouble shall come upon them, as upon a woman in travail, whose labour is severe, when her child comes to the mouth of the womb, and she finds it difficult to bring forth. 1EN 62:4 Then shall pain come upon them as on a woman in travail, [[And she has pain in bringing forth]] When her child enters the mouth of the womb, And she has pain in bringing forth. 62:4 Then pain shall come upon them as on a woman in travail with birth pangsg — when she is giving birth (the child) enters the mouth of the womb and she suffers from childbearing.
Enoch 61:8 One portion of them shall look upon another. They shall be astonished, and shall humble their countenance; 1EN 62:5a And one portion of them shall look on the other, And they shall be terrified, And they shall be downcast of countenance, 62:5a One half portion of themh shall glance at the other half; they shall be terrified and dejected;i
Enoch 61:9 And trouble shall seize them, when they shall behold this Son of woman sitting upon the throne of his glory. 1EN 62:5b And pain shall seize them, When they see that Son of Man Sitting on the throne of his glory. 62:5b and pain shall seize them when they see that Son of Man sitting on the throne of his glory.
Enoch 61:10a Then shall the kings, the princes, and all who possess the earth, glorify him who has dominion over all things, him who was concealed; 1EN 62:6 And the kings and the mighty and all who possess the earth shall bless and glorify and extol him who rules over all, who was hidden. 62:6 (These) kings, governors, and all the landlords shall (try to) bless, glorify, extol him who rules over everything, him who has been concealed.
Enoch 61:10b for from the beginning the Son of man existed in secret, whom the Most High preserved in the presence of his power, and revealed to the elect. 1EN 62:7 For from the beginning the Son of Man was hidden, And the Most High preserved him in the presence of His might, And revealed him to the elect. 62:7 For the Son of Manj was concealed from the beginning, and the Most High One preserved him in the presence of his power; then he revealed him to the holy and the elect ones.k
Enoch 61:11 He shall sow the congregation of the saints, and of the elect; and all the elect shall stand before him in that day. 1EN 62:8 And the congregation of the elect and holy shall be sown, And all the elect shall stand before him on that day. 62:8 The congregation of the holy onesl shall be planted,m and all the elect ones shall stand before him.
Enoch 61:12 All the kings, the princes, the exalted, and those who rule over all the earth, shall fall down on their faces before him, and shall worship him. 1EN 62:9a And all the kings and the mighty and the exalted and those who rule the earth Shall fall down before him on their faces, And worship 62:9a On that day, all the kings, the governors, the high officials, and those who rule the earth shall fall down before him on their faces, and worship
Enoch 61:13 They shall fix their hopes on this Son of man, shall pray to him, and petition him for mercy. 1EN 62:9b and set their hope upon that Son of Man, And petition him and supplicate for mercy at his hands. 62:9b and raise their hopes in that Son of Man; they shall beg and plead for mercy at his feet.n
Enoch 61:14a Then shall the Lord of spirits hasten to expel them from his presence. Their faces shall be full of confusion, and their faces shall darkness cover. 1EN 62:10 Nevertheless that Lord of Spirits will so press them That they shall hastily go forth from His presence, And their faces shall be filled with shame, And the darkness grow deeper on their faces. 62:10 But the Lord of the Spirits himself will cause them to be frantic, so that they shall rush and depart from his presence. Their faces shall be filled with shame, and their countenances shall be crowned with darkness.
Enoch 61:14b The angels shall take them to punishment, that vengeance may be inflicted on those who have oppressed his children and his elect. 1EN 62:11 And He will deliver them to the angels for punishment, To execute vengeance on them because they have oppressed His children and His elect 62:11 So he will deliver themo to the angels for punishments in order that vengeance shall be executed on them — oppressors of his children and his elect ones.
Enoch 61:14c And they shall become an example to the saints and to his elect. Through them shall these be made joyful; for the anger of the Lord of spirits shall rest upon them. 1EN 62:12a And they shall be a spectacle for the righteous and for His elect: They shall rejoice over them, Because the wrath of the Lord of Spirits resteth upon them, 62:12a It shall become quite a scene for myp righteous and elect ones. They shall rejoice over (the kings, the governors, the high officials, and the landlords) because the wrath of the Lord of the Spirits shall rest upon them
Enoch 61:15a Then the sword of the Lord of spirits shall be drunk with their blood; 1EN 62:12b And His sword is drunk with their blood. 62:12b and his swordq (shall obtain) from them a sacrifice.r
Enoch 61:15b but the saints and elect shall be safe in that day; nor the face of the sinners and the ungodly shall they thenceforwards behold. 1EN 62:13 And the righteous and elect shall be saved on that day, And they shall never thenceforward see the face of the sinners and unrighteous. 62:13 The righteous and elect ones shall be saved on that day; and from thenceforth they shall never see he faces of the sinners and the oppressors.
Enoch 61:16 The Lord of spirits shall remain over them: 1EN 62:14a And the Lord of Spirits will abide over them, 62:14a The Lord of the Spirits will abide over them;
Enoch 61:17 And with this Son of man shall they dwell, eat, lie down, and rise up, for ever and ever. 1EN 62:14b And with that Son of Man shall they eat And lie down and rise up for ever and ever. 62:14b they shall eat and rest and rise with that Son of Man forever and ever.
Enoch 61:18a The saints and the elect have arisen from the earth, have left off to depress their countenances, and have been clothed with the garment of life. 1EN 62:15 And the righteous and elect shall have risen from the earth, And ceased to be of downcast countenance. And they shall have been clothed with garments of glory, 62:15 The righteous and elect ones shall rise from the earth and shall cease being of downcast face. They shall wears the garments of glory.
Enoch 61:18b That garment of life is with the Lord of spirits, in whose presence your garment shall not wax old, nor shall your glory diminish. 1EN 62:16 And these shall be the garments of life from the Lord of Spirits: And your garments shall not grow old, Nor your glory pass away before the Lord of Spirits. 62:16 These garments of yours shall become the garments of life from the Lord of the Spirits. Neither shall your garments wear out, nor your glory come to an end before the Lord of the Spirits.

DCH :shh: