About a 'medieval heretic gospel'...

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

About a 'medieval heretic gospel'...

Post by Giuseppe »

Excuse me, but I have a question to do all you. I read in this interview these words of prof Price about a suggestive ''medieval heretic gospel'' but unfortunately without naming it.
...I think of how I once heard an adolescent girl in my church retell a story I had once recounted from a medieval heretic gospel in which God told the angels that whoever of them would endure the tribulations written in a heavenly book would become his Son. All the others fainted dead away, but Jesus accepted the challenge and embarked on the Incarnation, Crucifixion, etc. She didn’t remember where she had heard it, and I was delighted to realize I had made an ancient myth live again.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... ert-price/

Can someone of this forum tell me more about this medieval source (if he knows about) ?

I'm very curious, :o

Very thanks
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
DCHindley

Re: About a 'medieval heretic gospel'...

Post by DCHindley »

I tried to look something up on this without much luck.

The closest I could get was the Gospel of Barnabas, which is clearly medieval, but in that one Jesus is a prophet of God, and it condemns anyone who calls him "son of god."

If I am understanding Price's allusion correctly, in this medieval gospel Jesus is one of the angels of God and accepts a challenge to be the one to descend, be incarnated, endure the scourging humiliations and death on the cross (the tribulations), and be resurrected as son of god.

That sounds like some sort of story that centers on the the struggles between an angel Jesus, who accepts the challenge to be the savior of mankind, and Satan, who opposes Jesus and ends up the fallen angel.

This sounds like Ellen G. White's The Great Controversy (1858), which was pivotal in the development of the 7th Day Adventist movement, where Ellen was considered a prophet.

DCH
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Giuseppe wrote:Excuse me, but I have a question to do all you. I read in this interview these words of prof Price about a suggestive ''medieval heretic gospel'' but unfortunately without naming it.
...I think of how I once heard an adolescent girl in my church retell a story I had once recounted from a medieval heretic gospel in which God told the angels that whoever of them would endure the tribulations written in a heavenly book would become his Son. All the others fainted dead away, but Jesus accepted the challenge and embarked on the Incarnation, Crucifixion, etc. She didn’t remember where she had heard it, and I was delighted to realize I had made an ancient myth live again.

Can someone of this forum tell me more about this medieval source (if he knows about) ?

Very thanks
Do you mean this ?
(Google translate of Latin)
And as he was called by the Holy Father composed the book, he put him in the midst of the spirits of the heavenly bodies, who were left after them in heaven with him, and he said: the one who has accomplished those things which are written in this book, it will be my son. They want to be the Father of the spirits of the heavenly and holy Son And there were many more than others, have won for him, and when you read the book, and it was said to be honorable; they went to the penalties contained in the book, as if he wanted to come among men, and to honor him who should suffer, It behooveth the human race, after a little while they read the book in the said, you must fall down spasmati failing, and no one was willing to let go of the glory which he had with him, and to suppose him the penalties of this life, as it would be the son of God. That said, when he saw the Father is holy: And it is not one of you who wishes to be the son of the mind? and then, one of the spirits of those who stood by, who was called John, he got up and he said that he wanted to be the Son of the Father, and to complete all the things which were written in the book of the aforesaid; and he came to the words of the Book, opened it, and read in the book of the football and fell down by four or five leaves and spasm, and stood thus for three days and nights; and then I woke up, and she hath wept much, because he had promised himself to completion the things mentioned in the said book continabautur, and He should not have to lie, he said to the Father, his Son, and that he was willing to complete it to be all those things, which were contained in the said book, no matter how grievous would it be to them;
If so it comes from a Cathar Sermon (as retold to an inquisitor) We had a long discussion about it in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=750&start=60

Andrew Criddle
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

andrewcriddle wrote:
Giuseppe wrote:Excuse me, but I have a question to do all you. I read in this interview these words of prof Price about a suggestive ''medieval heretic gospel'' but unfortunately without naming it.

Very thanks
Do you mean this ?
(Google translate of Latin)
And as he was called by the Holy Father composed the book, he put him in the midst of the spirits of the heavenly bodies, who were left after them in heaven with him, and he said: the one who has accomplished those things which are written in this book, it will be my son. They want to be the Father of the spirits of the heavenly and holy Son And there were many more than others, have won for him, and when you read the book, and it was said to be honorable; they went to the penalties contained in the book, as if he wanted to come among men, and to honor him who should suffer, It behooveth the human race, after a little while they read the book in the said, you must fall down spasmati failing, and no one was willing to let go of the glory which he had with him, and to suppose him the penalties of this life, as it would be the son of God. That said, when he saw the Father is holy: And it is not one of you who wishes to be the son of the mind? and then, one of the spirits of those who stood by, who was called John, he got up and he said that he wanted to be the Son of the Father, and to complete all the things which were written in the book of the aforesaid; and he came to the words of the Book, opened it, and read in the book of the football and fell down by four or five leaves and spasm, and stood thus for three days and nights; and then I woke up, and she hath wept much, because he had promised himself to completion the things mentioned in the said book continabautur, and He should not have to lie, he said to the Father, his Son, and that he was willing to complete it to be all those things, which were contained in the said book, no matter how grievous would it be to them;
If so it comes from a Cathar Sermon (as retold to an inquisitor) We had a long discussion about it in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=750&start=60

Andrew Criddle
Ah haa! I knew I had heard that claim before.

Was that extended thread initiated by one of Dr. Price's video lectures?

Jus' curious.

DCH
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

DCHindley wrote: Ah haa! I knew I had heard that claim before.

Was that extended thread initiated by one of Dr. Price's video lectures?

Jus' curious.

DCH
No; the thread was about the Ascension of Isaiah, which is (probably) one of the sources for the Cathar sermon.

Andrew Criddle