Against the Idiotic Belief that Our Texts Are Pristine

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Against the Idiotic Belief that Our Texts Are Pristine

Post by Secret Alias »

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Tenorikuma

Re: Against the Idiotic Belief that Our Texts Are Pristine

Post by Tenorikuma »

Thanks for the link.

I have read some of God's Word Omitted, and Reading the Fractures of Genesis is languishing on my bookshelf at the moment. I really need to get back to it.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Great read, but is there anything we're supposed to have learned that's new? Masoretic, Samaritan, Septuagint, all about equal now as before (ever since the Dead Sea Scrolls in 1947, that is).
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Even all the different text types discovered among the DSS doesn't phase conservatives. If biblical mss exist that conform to the MT (or close) then they will say "Ah Haa! The 'God Breathed' text type (the MT) has been found, SO, all the others MUST be corruptions!" Amazing how rational the mind can be - at rationalizing that is. But such is the nature of the beast. We just have to get better at dealing with it.

DCH
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

DCHindley wrote:Amazing how rational the mind can be - at rationalizing that is.
True. I have long given up on the concept of man as a rational being. It's not even a question of intelligence. Intelligent people just find better rationalizations for their stupid convictions.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Wow, a thread where everyone is in perfect agreement.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Calm before the storm. If they aren't pristine, what were they before they got all contaminajated?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I am all about building a consensus :cheeky:
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The truth is that those who believe that the existing texts are pristine know better than share that opinion (at least openly).
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Secret Alias wrote:The truth is that those who believe that the existing texts are pristine know better than share that opinion (at least openly).
Closet homotextuals? :wtf:
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown