Origen -- A Basic Stylometric Study

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Mike Z

Re: Origen -- A Basic Stylometric Study

Post by Mike Z »

I would suggest Hippolytus, but it is a rather daunting subject.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Mike Z wrote:I would suggest Hippolytus, but it is a rather daunting subject.
Thanks for the suggestion. It certainly would have relevant results for scholarship, being a well-known thorny problem.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

I wouldn't mind seeing other analyses of known forgeries. It seems to me that there might be a difference between identifying misattribution and forgery with stylometry, since only in the latter case is the author probably trying to disguise his writing.
Last edited by Tenorikuma on Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Peter Kirby wrote:
Mike Z wrote:I would suggest Hippolytus, but it is a rather daunting subject.
Thanks for the suggestion. It certainly would have relevant results for scholarship, being a well-known thorny problem.
One problem is that a lot of "Hippolytus" survives only in translation and Greek stylometry is not possible.

The most obvious thing to do in Greek is try to determine whether 'Refutation of all Heresies is by the same person as Against Noetus

Andrew Criddle
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Tenorikuma wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing other analyses of known forgeries. It seems to me that there might be a difference between identifying misattribution and forgery with stylometry, since only in the latter case is the author probably trying to disguise his writing.
Good suggestion. We have at least one advantage; the techniques used in ancient times to mimic style (or what-have-you) cannot improve ... but our techniques of detection can.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

Out of curiosity, have you considered comparing 3 Corinthians to the other epistles?
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Tenorikuma wrote:Out of curiosity, have you considered comparing 3 Corinthians to the other epistles?
It's very short. I'd need something much better than I have to make anything meaningful out 3 Corinthians.

My next stylometry project will be to improve the algorithm.