Origen -- A Basic Stylometric Study

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Mike Z
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:02 pm

Re: Origen -- A Basic Stylometric Study

Post by Mike Z » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:11 pm

I would suggest Hippolytus, but it is a rather daunting subject.

User avatar
Peter Kirby
Site Admin
Posts: 5370
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:13 pm
Location: Santa Clara
Contact:

Re: Origen -- A Basic Stylometric Study

Post by Peter Kirby » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:45 pm

Mike Z wrote:I would suggest Hippolytus, but it is a rather daunting subject.
Thanks for the suggestion. It certainly would have relevant results for scholarship, being a well-known thorny problem.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown

User avatar
Tenorikuma
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:40 am

Re: Origen -- A Basic Stylometric Study

Post by Tenorikuma » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:20 am

I wouldn't mind seeing other analyses of known forgeries. It seems to me that there might be a difference between identifying misattribution and forgery with stylometry, since only in the latter case is the author probably trying to disguise his writing.
Last edited by Tenorikuma on Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrewcriddle
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Origen -- A Basic Stylometric Study

Post by andrewcriddle » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:22 am

Peter Kirby wrote:
Mike Z wrote:I would suggest Hippolytus, but it is a rather daunting subject.
Thanks for the suggestion. It certainly would have relevant results for scholarship, being a well-known thorny problem.
One problem is that a lot of "Hippolytus" survives only in translation and Greek stylometry is not possible.

The most obvious thing to do in Greek is try to determine whether 'Refutation of all Heresies is by the same person as Against Noetus

Andrew Criddle

User avatar
Peter Kirby
Site Admin
Posts: 5370
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:13 pm
Location: Santa Clara
Contact:

Re: Origen -- A Basic Stylometric Study

Post by Peter Kirby » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Tenorikuma wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing other analyses of known forgeries. It seems to me that there might be a difference between identifying misattribution and forgery with stylometry, since only in the latter case is the author probably trying to disguise his writing.
Good suggestion. We have at least one advantage; the techniques used in ancient times to mimic style (or what-have-you) cannot improve ... but our techniques of detection can.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown

User avatar
Tenorikuma
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:40 am

Re: Origen -- A Basic Stylometric Study

Post by Tenorikuma » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Out of curiosity, have you considered comparing 3 Corinthians to the other epistles?

User avatar
Peter Kirby
Site Admin
Posts: 5370
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:13 pm
Location: Santa Clara
Contact:

Re: Origen -- A Basic Stylometric Study

Post by Peter Kirby » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:54 pm

Tenorikuma wrote:Out of curiosity, have you considered comparing 3 Corinthians to the other epistles?
It's very short. I'd need something much better than I have to make anything meaningful out 3 Corinthians.

My next stylometry project will be to improve the algorithm.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown

Post Reply