Ethnarch of King Aretas? the legendary Damascus basket case

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Bernard Muller

Re: evidence of an earthly human Jesus in the Pauline epistl

Post by Bernard Muller »

In the year 37, Roman Emperor Caligula transferred Damascus to Nabataean control by decree. The Nabataean king Aretas IV Philopatris ruled Damascus from his capital Petra.
Unfortunately, there is no evidence for that in secular writings or archaeology. Whoever entered it on Wiki had to base that only on his/her interpretation of 2 Corinthians 11:32-33.
Too bad, I would love it, but ...
Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

TedM wrote:
In the year 37, Roman Emperor Caligula transferred Damascus to Nabataean control by decree. The Nabataean king Aretas IV Philopatris ruled Damascus from his capital Petra[/b]. However, around the year 106, Nabataea was conquered by the Romans, and Damascus returned to Roman control.
Is this not accurate?
My Wikipedia says something else:
In the year 37, Roman Emperor Caligula transferred Damascus, along with the former land of Philip the Tetrarch, to Herod Agrippa I by decree. The city was thus safeguarded against military incursion by the Nabataean king Aretas IV Philopatris.
Should I add "citation needed," just for good measure?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

TedM wrote: While Peter sees this as a 'romantic' story, how else might one who is being sought by the authorities have escaped? Seems to me that there are some reasonable explanations here that fit the accounts we have.
Ted, perhaps a 'romantic story' has more going for it than futile attempts to ascribe historicity to this NT account of Paul in Damascus while that city was under control of an Aretas.

The NT presents Paul as taking up the mantel of good news presenter to the gentiles: The new leader that follows on the JC mission. Spiritual 'warfare' as opposed to the physical warfare of the OT Joshua. Paul escaping over the Damascus wall a re-telling of Joshua escaping over the wall of Jericho. Joshua was once Hoshea - as Paul was once Saul. Moses and Joshua. Paul and JC.

As for Damascus and Aretas: The NT dates Paul somewhere in the middle 30s c.e. i.e. ruling out Aretas III as having any connection with the NT Paul. Aretas IV did not rule Damascus. Aretas III lost Damascus, to Pompey, around 64/63 b.c. The significant mention of Aretas IV during the NT time period is the war with Antipas - around 36/37 c.e. This is around a 100 year period. A 100 year period which the NT, because of it's failure to specify what Aretas it is talking about, has, as it were, put on the table. Put on the table to be considered as relevant to early christian history.

The real issue here is not about the NT figure of Paul and when he was in Damascus under Aretas - the real issue is these 100 years of Jewish history - and what the NT writers deemed to be relevant within that history for their NT story.
Last edited by maryhelena on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
stephan happy huller

Post by stephan happy huller »

It should be remembered that in Clement's Hypotyposeis the Church Father says that Paul also preached to the Jews wanting to imitate Jesus. Any evidence from Acts should be mistrusted. Scholars can't do that because it would leave them with no history to study! But we can do that because we are honest people (for the most part)
Everyone loves the happy times
TedM

Post by TedM »

Peter Kirby wrote:
TedM wrote:
In the year 37, Roman Emperor Caligula transferred Damascus to Nabataean control by decree. The Nabataean king Aretas IV Philopatris ruled Damascus from his capital Petra[/b]. However, around the year 106, Nabataea was conquered by the Romans, and Damascus returned to Roman control.
Is this not accurate?
My Wikipedia says something else:
In the year 37, Roman Emperor Caligula transferred Damascus, along with the former land of Philip the Tetrarch, to Herod Agrippa I by decree. The city was thus safeguarded against military incursion by the Nabataean king Aretas IV Philopatris.
Should I add "citation needed," just for good measure?
Point well taken. I think we all know Wiki is suspect, and I felt like the only citation of much value would have been one for the actual claim - which didn't exist. It did sound authoratative though even without a citation from them :)
TedM

Post by TedM »

maryhelena wrote:
TedM wrote: While Peter sees this as a 'romantic' story, how else might one who is being sought by the authorities have escaped? Seems to me that there are some reasonable explanations here that fit the accounts we have.
Ted, perhaps a 'romantic story' has more going for it than futile attempts to ascribe historicity to this NT account of Paul in Damascus while that city was under control of an Aretas.

The NT presents Paul as taking up the mantel of good news presenter to the gentiles: The new leader that follows on the JC mission. Spiritual 'warfare' as opposed to the physical warfare of the OT Joshua. Paul escaping over the Damascus wall a re-telling of Joshua escaping over the wall of Jericho. Joshua was once Hoshea - as Paul was once Saul. Moses and Joshua. Paul and JC.

As for Damascus and Aretas: The NT dates Paul somewhere in the middle 30s c.e. i.e. ruling out Aretas III as having any connection with the NT Paul. Aretas IV did not rule Damascus. Aretas III lost Damascus, to Pompey, around 64/63 b.c. The significant mention of Aretas IV during the NT time period is the war with Antipas - around 36/37 c.e. This is around a 100 year period. A 100 year period which the NT, because of it's failure to specify what Aretas it is talking about, has, as it were, put on the table. Put on the table to be considered as relevant to early christian history.

The real issue here is not about the NT figure of Paul and when he was in Damascus under Aretas - the real issue is these 100 years of Jewish history - and what the NT writers deemed to be relevant within that history for their NT story.
Possible, but my points to consider seem to me to be based more in reality than speculation that a story was made up that inserted Aretas in one and not the other as some kind of comparison to Joshua. This historical background of a feuding Antipas-Aretas seems a more solid foundation from which to analyze IMO.

So far I see very little reason for anyone to reject either Acts or the Epistle as fanciful with regard to the basket incident. It sounds more to me like people trying to come up with reasons to not accept it rather than looking at it objectively.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

In Flacc. 74, that a council of elders was appointed by Augustus to manage Jewish affairs after the death of the genarch.
Who is that Genarch? Looks to be Herod the Great.
I do not see a conflict here. A Jewich ethnarch can still preside over that council. But Philo chose to talk about the council members because 38 of them got arrested and persecuted.
Third, the Jews were inside the Roman empire, while the Nabataeans were not and had no political existence inside the empire, especially in the few years between the war with Herod Antipas and the death of Aretas.
I thought the kingdom of Aretas IV was a client kingdom to the Romans, the same than the kingdom of Herod Antipas (Galilee & Perea).
It is therefore certainly not very plausible that Aretas had an official agent of any sort in or around Roman controlled Damascus, let alone one between 37 and 40 CE.
Maybe the ethnarch of Aretas was in function in Damascus before 37 and not revoked, maybe this ethnarch was one concession after 37, in exchange for Aretas' army to withdraw from Perea (the most likely location for the battle).
Cordially, Bernard
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

But there is something strange about the usage of the verb φρουρεω. The following citations are YLT of the Hebrew and in each LXX instance the Greek translation has a nominal form of our verb, which suggests that in such contexts in the Judeo-christian Greek tradition word indicates a body of soldiers in control of a situation, here garrisoning a city.

2 Samuel 8:6 and David putteth garrisons in Aram of Damascus, and Aram is to David for a servant, bearing a present; and Jehovah saveth David whithersoever he hath gone;
2 Samuel 8:14 and he putteth in Edom garrisons—in all Edom he hath put garrisons, and all Edom are servants to David; and Jehovah saveth David whithersoever he hath gone.
1 Chronicles 18:6 and David putteth garrisons in Aram of Damascus, and the Aramaeans are to David for servants, bearing a present, and Jehovah giveth salvation to David whithersoever he hath gone.
1 Chronicles 18:13 and he putteth in Edom garrisons, and all the Edomites are servants to David; and Jehovah saveth David whithersoever he hath gone.
The translation of φρουρεω (from the LXX) to "putteth garrisons" was done by a modern translator and therefore is not evidence, even if, in these cases, the translation makes sense.
Furthermore, why mention someone, through a garrison, had to have complete control of a city, just in order to arrest only one individual? That's an overkill which does not fit.
However, 'In Damascus the ethnarch of Aretas the king put/kept/set/placed some hired men in the city of the Damascenes, wishing to seize me,'
OR 'In Damascus the ethnarch of Aretas the king guarded with some hired men the city of the Damascenes, wishing to seize me,'
makes more sense.

Cordially, Bernard
stephan happy huller

Post by stephan happy huller »

Bernard

Why would Paul have come down in a basket if - as you suggest - the soldiers surrounded the city rather than were within the walls? Surely the point of coming down in a basket was to escape the soldiers already in the city rather than run headlong into a blockade. If the soldiers were merely surrounding the city rather than being within the walls, the apostle would presumably have stayed were he was.

phroureo means here “to keep by guarding."
Everyone loves the happy times
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

spin wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:Another point of contact between the Pauline letters and the pre-70 AD period occurs in 2 Cor 12:31-33, which has the passage about Paul being let down in a basket through a window in the wall to escape the "ethnarch under King Aretas," the last known Nabatean king by this name having died in 40 AD.

The story seems fairly implausible, between the romantic escape and the otherwise uncorroborated Nabatean presence in Damascus, but it does show that the author of the letter (or these verses of the letter) implies that Paul had been active in the period before 40 AD.
The story causes a wry smile, considering the only time we know that the Nabataeans had control of Damascus was briefly before Pompey's arrival there in 64 BCE. The thought that the last Aretas had control over the city is laughable, given that Nabataea was not directly within the Roman sphere of influence, ie not a tributary state or a province, and had attacked the Roman client, Herod Antipas, stimulating Tiberius in his last year to attempt to sent his Syrian legate, Vitellius, to seek retaliation against Aretas, though, when Tiberius died, Caligula curtailed the action. It seems ridiculous to posit that the Romans would have given any privileges to Aretas, such as would give him control over Damascus.

Maybe reading this paraphrase from Murphy J O'Conners' (Paul: A Critical Life) will provoke a sheepish grin?
. . . Client Kingdom's, such as an alleged rule of Damascus by the Nabataean's was forbidden by the emperor Tiberius. When Tiberius died in 37A.D., Caligula reinstated client kings such as Antiochus and Agrippa. Considering that the Nabataean's controlled Damascus before, they would greatly desire to be in control of Damascus again. Caligula, in return, had a reason to be grateful to the Nabateans who had at one time helped his father Germanicus defeat the governor of Syria with the support of the Nabataeans. Therefore, “it is very probable, that the Nabataeans acquired control of Damascus in the latter half of 37 A.D.”
Last edited by arnoldo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.