The Function of 'Prophetic Fulfillment' in the Passion Narrative

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Clive

Re: The Function of 'Prophetic Fulfillment' in the Passion N

Post by Clive »

Michael Woods in In Search of Myths and Heroes, quotes a professor to the effect, I would be very careful about historical cores. I haven't got the quote currently, but I believe it was about the Queen of Sheba!

I really do not understand the assumption of historicity.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
perseusomega9

Re: A Plausible Reading of Mark, Well-Done with a Side of Ra

Post by perseusomega9 »

outhouse wrote:
I see no reason not to believe the movement started from many centers all over the Diaspora, by very diverse beliefs, who all had a different opinion of a martyred Galilean, mythical or historical. And that we are only left with a fraction of the text that once existed
Does that include those at the start, somewhere in the many centers, who may have had an opinion there was no martyred Galilean?
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Clive wrote:
I really do not understand the assumption of historicity.
Historicity should never be assumed.

But when dealing with existing factual OT parallels, they can only be explained in two basic ways. Previous text as primacy, or historical core as primacy.

Previous text as primacy should not be assumed either.

Michael Woods in In Search of Myths and Heroes, quotes a professor to the effect, I would be very careful about historical cores. I haven't got the quote currently, but I believe it was about the Queen of Sheba!
Which in that case is a great place to be. I would not posit any historicity to events described so far back and so unsubstantiated. While certain elements have possibilities, I personally posit very little outside mythology.
outhouse

Re: A Plausible Reading of Mark, Well-Done with a Side of Ra

Post by outhouse »

perseusomega9 wrote:
outhouse wrote:
I see no reason not to believe the movement started from many centers all over the Diaspora, by very diverse beliefs, who all had a different opinion of a martyred Galilean, mythical or historical. And that we are only left with a fraction of the text that once existed
Does that include those at the start, somewhere in the many centers, who may have had an opinion there was no martyred Galilean?
Was there such? How would you substantiate that possibility?
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

by replacing "martyred Galilean" with any of the following: Christ figure, Messiah, Theophony

or are the many centers with very diverse beliefs limited to permutations of a martyred Galilean?
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

-Giuseppe
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

perseusomega9 wrote:
or are the many centers with very diverse beliefs limited to permutations of a martyred Galilean?
To date, it looks like one Galilean. Can you consider John The Baptist? and the guy who took over his movement after his death.

You made a claim of others, what substantiates it?
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

outhouse wrote:
About as much as what substantiates a martyred Galilean as the basis, but I do agree, if you start with a martyred Galilean as an axiom, you're bound to find a historical Jesus at the core.

-Giuseppe
Clive

Post by Clive »

Ellegard proposed the Teacher of Righteousness as the historic core of the Christ.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Clive wrote:Ellegard proposed the Teacher of Righteousness as the historic core of the Christ.
Except for that pesky crap your avoiding called evidence.

As far as a first century messianic claim, we see that cult dropping off completely after the failure to return.

Yes the exact opposite of the Jesus character, who's death increased his popularity. Why?
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

perseusomega9 wrote:
outhouse wrote:
but I do agree, if you start with a martyred Galilean as an axiom, you're bound to find a historical Jesus at the core.

That is understandable.

About as much as what substantiates a martyred Galilean as the basis,
Actually, I have written weak sources to fall back on as a claim.

Im asking you what exactly you have for others hat would be partial evidence to substantiate your claim.

If you have nothing, claiming I have nothing is not cutting it.

Really you have a nice hypothesis, it would be a shame if someone tested it.
Last edited by outhouse on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.