Romans 8 - an astral reading

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ulan

Re: Romans 8 - an astral reading

Post by Ulan »

Robert Tulip wrote:There is an intense academic disdain for everything associated with astrology, even though what I am doing does not rely on any astrology, but only explores how the ancients actually thought about the cosmos and how this method of observation informed the Bible. This disdain was also at the core of the dominant Deuteronomic view in the Bible, which is why Paul and others had to conceal the real basis of their ideas.
You know, this is again a bunch of pure assertions without any attempt at substantiating them. I just picked this paragraph more or less at random.

It contains statements regarding how the ancients actually thought about the cosmos without substantiation, unless you mean something trivial as heaven = sky, which everyone here knows to be at least part of the answer. Then we get a statement that Paul and others had to conceal the real basis of their ideas. So, cite please? How do we get into Paul's mind about astronomical details?

This is what is basically missing from all your posts. Your answers to questions of how you know this is usually just more astronomical details, which naturally don't do one bit to answer the question. So how, why?
hjalti

Post by hjalti »

Robert, here is Peter's question:
(2) The earliest theological accounts of Jesus Christ are considered to be letters such as Romans, 1 Corinthians, and Hebrews. How much [astral theology] can be found in them, I wonder?
Your "astrotheological reading" doesn't actually answer his question at all. You're just reading everything in this particular chapter with "astrotheological glasses". You're just reading into the text astrotheological stuff without there being anything in the text itself to suggest that the author was thinking about any of it.

Just look at this:
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
The heuristic applied in an astrotheological reading of the Bible is to understand Jesus Christ as an anthropomorphisation of the sun, taking the real attributes observed in the physical star and applying them to an idealised human being in order to humanise these invincible forces and give them ethical meaning and purpose.

The sun provides the actual law of life in its three regular motions of the day, the year and the great year, as Copernicus observed, and as the Gnostic inventors of the Christ myth must have understood. Paul’s vision of Christ here reflects a conscious or unconscious vision of the sun as the source of light and life and grace.
Where is any of that in what Paul actually says? :confusedsmiley:
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Ulan wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:There is an intense academic disdain for everything associated with astrology, even though what I am doing does not rely on any astrology, but only explores how the ancients actually thought about the cosmos and how this method of observation informed the Bible. This disdain was also at the core of the dominant Deuteronomic view in the Bible, which is why Paul and others had to conceal the real basis of their ideas.
You know, this is again a bunch of pure assertions without any attempt at substantiating them. I just picked this paragraph more or less at random. . . .
The fact is that exchanges with Robert have led me to read a number of works produced by academics about ancient astrology (as well as astronomy) which I have appreciated. Unfortunately when I have tried to raise details from these works with Robert in past exchanges little has been gained.

As for needing to hide views contrary to the Deuteronomic view of SOME books of the Bible (not "of the Bible" as a whole) is laughable given all the surviving anti-Deuteronomic Second Temple literature that we have, some of which clearly did influence Paul.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Robert Tulip wrote: I suspect that my mention of eschatology touches some hot buttons, what I can’t imagine, such that a new effort to explore a rational basis for these Biblical ideas has to be tarred with association with irrational traditional theories. I confess Neil, that my reference to Saint Paul was intended to irritate you, since you have previously expressed something akin to horror at this appellation because of its conflict with your anti-religious views. Again, it may be that part of what some dislike so intensely here is that I am proposing a way to reform Christianity to make it compatible with reason, in conflict with the academic prejudice that religion should just wither away.
Oh Robert, you are living entirely in a world of your own. There is no "hostility" or "hot buttons" or "intense dislike" as you imagine. Your ideas are not accepted because they are irrationally and invalidly argued.

What a hermetic bubble you occupy. You have clearly never registered my many remarks about contemporary and historical mythicists who are still Christians, love Christianity, and who hope to see a higher or reformed Christianity. Nor have you seen my comments on the quaint use of "Saint" as an appellation for NT authors. Nor did I have any idea I was in your thoughts at all when you were writing your preceding comments because you were not obviously addressing my own points.

You are only demonstrating over and over that your astrotheology has taken you to a quite different universe from the rest of us -- something you should find pleasing.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Robert Tulip

Post by Robert Tulip »

Ulan wrote:
Stephan Huller wrote:You have to build from an attested tradition.
This. You have to start somewhere which is not equal to unfounded, free-running imagination. A starting point would have been here: "My view, following Pagels, is that Paul had some grasp of the allegory as the real driving impetus in his letters, but carefully concealed this knowledge to make his message palatable to a mass audience."
What line of thought did Elaine Pagels use as base for this claim? Any quotes?
My review of Pagels’ book The Gnostic Paul is at http://www.amazon.com/review/R2803T62V90MTR There I say “Pagels explains how Valentinus and other Gnostic theologians read Paul as speaking at two levels. The Gnostics say that Paul's letters distinguish between a secret spiritual or `pneumatic' level of teaching aimed at initiates and a popular simplified `psychic' version for ignorant newcomers. As in other mystery philosophies who provided esoteric spoken instruction within their schools and exoteric written material for the general public, the Gnostics claimed that Paul had secret teachings that are explained in code in his public writings such as the letters to the churches in Rome and Corinth.”
My view is that the Gnostic reading of Paul as explained by Professor Pagels is vastly more plausible than Orthodox literalism, as I explain in my review.
Ulan wrote: Does she have more to stand on than belief statements like this one: "Achieving spiritual peace arises from understanding scientific order as the basis of life."
Do you disagree with that? It seems a fairly simple modern enlightened view, reflecting ideas such as Thomas Paine in The Age of Reason: “The Almighty Lecturer, by displaying the principles of science in the structure of the universe, has invited man to study and to imitation. It is as if He has said to the inhabitants of this globe that we call ours, "I have made an earth for man to dwell upon, and I have rendered the starry heavens visible, to teach him science and the arts. He can now provide for his own comfort, and learn from my munificence to all to be kind to each other.”

The Enlightenment idea that reason could free humanity from religious error shows that grounding ethics in science is central to the idea of the Age of Reason. What I am saying is that the anti-religious views of the Enlightenment can be synthesised with an old hidden enlightened core within Christianity.
Ulan wrote: Robert creates a religion and calls it "science". Whenever he uses the words "science" or "scientific", we can be sure that the statement in which they are used has nothing to do with science but is purely religious.
Sorry Ulan, but you clearly do not understand what I am saying. The reason I presented such a simple explanation of the structure of time was firstly that Outhouse showed a basic incomprehension of the movement of the heavens, which is unfortunately far too typical among people who should know better. This incomprehension is also apparent in Neil Godfrey’s inability to see the grounding of Biblical images and themes in ancient observation of precession.

The scientific observation of precession is very ancient and provides a coherent basis for Biblical eschatology, but understanding this requires ability to see the centrality of astronomy within myth. That is an entirely scientific hypothesis, which also provides a basis to reform faith to make it compatible with reason. I am indeed claiming new findings on the originally intended coherence between astronomy and ancient religion. This also involves excavating a coherent hidden core within the ancient teachings, lost under the heavy weight of anathema.

This involves a deconstruction of the aggressive supernaturalism of traditional faith to identify why it resonated so strongly, namely because its origins were grounded in scientific observation.
Ulan wrote: Which means the wording is off. He uses words like "science" in a way that neither matches the modern understanding of it nor the philosophical ideas of the time when texts like Romans were written. No wonder this sounds like gibberish, as statements like the above hang in the void. Or, as has been stated already, show signs of 21st century New Age thought.
You speak as though “New Age” is an obvious term of abuse when in fact it is an orderly way to understand major historical trends described in the Bible. This prejudicial assumption on your part is unfounded. If you read important New Age treatises such as Aion by Carl Jung, the idea of a shift of paradigms, understood against the astronomy of the precession of the equinox into Aquarius, has an entirely coherent core, despite its associations with magical folk traditions.

Deconstructing these magical elements against their meaning within scientific astronomy, rather like the deconstruction of the miraculous literal veneer of the Bible, opens the question of how scientific method provides a foundation for a reassessment of the ethical values in the Bible in a way that is compatible with reason. The idea of the New Age of Aquarius is part of an entirely coherent empirical basis to understand allegorical Biblical ideas such as the upper room, the man with the water jug, the alpha and omega, the holy city, the clouds of heaven, the parable of the wheat and tares, the thousand years as a day for God, and the preaching of the Gospel of the Kingdom to the ends of the earth until the end of the Age.

Paul's idea of the delivery of the creation from bondage in Romans 8:21, like the fantastic 1 Thessalonians 4 and 1 Cor 15 idea of the last trumpet, should not be condemned as magical delusion, but rather as a coherent and valuable allegorical long term vision of the structure of history.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Dali Ascension of Christ
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive

Post by Clive »

(OK, now I am really worried -why is Maggie watching the ascension of Christ....)
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

I'll keep this short, as engaging here is obviously a complete waste of effort.
Robert Tulip wrote:Pagels explains how Valentinus and other Gnostic theologians read Paul as speaking at two levels. The Gnostics say that Paul's letters distinguish between a secret spiritual or `pneumatic' level of teaching aimed at initiates and a popular simplified `psychic' version for ignorant newcomers.
Yes, I know. However, as usual, any hint of an "astral reading" of Romans is missing from your post. Which means this does not concern the actual topic.
Robert Tulip wrote:
Ulan wrote:Does she have more to stand on than belief statements like this one: "Achieving spiritual peace arises from understanding scientific order as the basis of life."
Do you disagree with that? It seems a fairly simple modern enlightened view, reflecting ideas such as Thomas Paine in The Age of Reason...
Why would it matter in any way whether I agree or disagree with that philosophical statement? We are not talking about my belief system here. The topic is neither my life philosophy nor yours, the topic is "Romans" by Paul. Paul does not talk about "scientific order".
Robert Tulip wrote:Sorry Ulan, but you clearly do not understand what I am saying. The reason I presented such a simple explanation of the structure of time was firstly that Outhouse showed a basic incomprehension of the movement of the heavens, which is unfortunately far too typical among people who should know better.
I am pretty sure nobody here has a problem with the "movement of the heavens". It is as if you had only two modes, (i) lecturing about astronomical details most people know anyway or (ii) lecturing about your astrotheological ideas about Christian texts. What is constantly missing here, and what people try to get an answer to, is the actual "science" part. Not "science" in the meaning of "body of knowledge", so not the astronomical background, but "science" as in "method". The scientific method. Explaining how you found those details you tell us in (i) in the Christian texts and how you get from the text to what you tell us in (ii). Up to now, I have not seen a single instance of this in your posts.
Robert Tulip wrote:This incomprehension is also apparent in Neil Godfrey’s inability to see the grounding of Biblical images and themes in ancient observation of precession.
Nobody except you sees that, as far as I can tell. With the notable exception of that zodiac image in Revelations, the one time you actually cared to develop a thought.
Robert Tulip wrote:You speak as though “New Age” is an obvious term of abuse when in fact it is an orderly way to understand major historical trends described in the Bible. This prejudicial assumption on your part is unfounded. If you read important New Age treatises such as Aion by Carl Jung, the idea of a shift of paradigms, understood against the astronomy of the precession of the equinox into Aquarius, has an entirely coherent core, despite its associations with magical folk traditions.
The problem is that we don't talk about Jung. You don't have to find thoughts like this in Jung texts, but in biblical texts.
Robert Tulip wrote: Deconstructing these magical elements against their meaning within scientific astronomy... opens the question of how scientific method provides a foundation for a reassessment of the ethical values in the Bible in a way that is compatible with reason.
At last a clear statement. You are not using the scientific method, you construct a religion out of the scientific method. Funny enough, that's actually what I said in my last post, the point that when you say "science", you mean religion. At least we now have this from your own mouth.
Robert Tulip wrote:Paul's idea of the delivery of the creation from bondage in Romans 8:21, like the fantastic 1 Thessalonians 4 and 1 Cor 15 idea of the last trumpet, should not be condemned as magical delusion, but rather as a coherent and valuable allegorical long term vision of the structure of history.
Funny enough, this is exactly what many people on this board are doing, finding the allegorical meanings in the texts. However, most people here actually use the text as base for their speculations.
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

Clive wrote:(OK, now I am really worried -why is Maggie watching the ascension of Christ....)
Looks like Gala to me.
Robert Tulip

Post by Robert Tulip »

Ulan wrote:engaging here is obviously a complete waste of effort.
I have also posted this analysis on another discussion board, and the contrast between the rational, courteous and respectful engagement there and the pompous three monkeys dismissal here illustrates your point well.
Ulan wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:Pagels explains how Valentinus and other Gnostic theologians read Paul as speaking at two levels. The Gnostics say that Paul's letters distinguish between a secret spiritual or `pneumatic' level of teaching aimed at initiates and a popular simplified `psychic' version for ignorant newcomers.
Yes, I know. However, as usual, any hint of an "astral reading" of Romans is missing from your post. Which means this does not concern the actual topic.
Your “as usual” aside is utterly ridiculous, implying that the pneumatic spirituality of Gnostic thought does not involve cosmology. The problem in producing a coherent account of Christian evolution is that the key to unlocking the allegorical Gnostic intent within early Christian thought has largely been lost under the weight and power of false dogmatic assumptions. Pagels blazes a pioneering trail to uncover how conventional methods are incorrect, but even she is intimidated by the culture of literalism regarding the sanctity of the historical Jesus assumption. I am building upon her work to explore this two level thesis against both extant Gnostic cosmology, such as in the Peratae with their focus on the North Celestial Pole as the axis of the heavens and the fragmentary remains of the Gnostic blueprint within the Bible.
Ulan wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:
Ulan wrote:Does she have more to stand on than belief statements like this one: "Achieving spiritual peace arises from understanding scientific order as the basis of life."
Do you disagree with that? It seems a fairly simple modern enlightened view, reflecting ideas such as Thomas Paine in The Age of Reason...
Why would it matter in any way whether I agree or disagree with that philosophical statement? We are not talking about my belief system here. The topic is neither my life philosophy nor yours, the topic is "Romans" by Paul. Paul does not talk about "scientific order".
My argument about scientific order is that a correct rational cosmology, as seen in writers like Paine, is intentionally concealed within Paul’s epistles as the objective of his vision of spiritual freedom, within the limits of ancient astronomy. That intent was buried by literal dogma, but can be reconstructed by analysis of his text. The reason why this matters is that you dismissed this hypothesis with nothing more than empty disdain, ignoring how it uncovers a rational ethic regarding how we can base values on facts.
Ulan wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:Sorry Ulan, but you clearly do not understand what I am saying. The reason I presented such a simple explanation of the structure of time was firstly that Outhouse showed a basic incomprehension of the movement of the heavens, which is unfortunately far too typical among people who should know better.
I am pretty sure nobody here has a problem with the "movement of the heavens". It is as if you had only two modes, (i) lecturing about astronomical details most people know anyway or (ii) lecturing about your astrotheological ideas about Christian texts. What is constantly missing here, and what people try to get an answer to, is the actual "science" part. Not "science" in the meaning of "body of knowledge", so not the astronomical background, but "science" as in "method". The scientific method. Explaining how you found those details you tell us in (i) in the Christian texts and how you get from the text to what you tell us in (ii). Up to now, I have not seen a single instance of this in your posts.
Science is both a body of knowledge and a method. The body of knowledge tells us that the ancients were capable of seeing what Copernicus defined as the three movements of the earth, the day, the year and the precession. Knowledge of precession is far from obvious, far from something that you wrongly say most people know about. The mockery of the ancient concept of the movement of the heavens in this thread illustrates how difficult many people find it to imagine a coherent ancient worldview. On method, my starting assumption is that the writers of the Bible were intelligent people, heirs to a great and venerable tradition of integrating astronomy and religion. This is a way of thinking that has largely been lost by the modern separation between these topics. But when we actually look to see how a suppressed connection between astronomy and faith is embedded in the Bible, we can find abundant evidence.
Ulan wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:This incomprehension is also apparent in Neil Godfrey’s inability to see the grounding of Biblical images and themes in ancient observation of precession.
Nobody except you sees that, as far as I can tell. With the notable exception of that zodiac image in Revelations, the one time you actually cared to develop a thought.
I’m not sure which of the numerous astral allegories that I have detailed in the Apocalypse you are referring to, since not one person on this board has sought to engage on that theme as far as I can see. Do you mean the tree of life, the river of life, the woman with the moon at her feet, the dragon giving his seat of power to the bear-lion, the twelve jewels, the holy city, the alpha and omega? These are all clear astral allegories in the Apocalypse illustrating that the authors had a precessional cosmology.
Ulan wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:You speak as though “New Age” is an obvious term of abuse when in fact it is an orderly way to understand major historical trends described in the Bible. This prejudicial assumption on your part is unfounded. If you read important New Age treatises such as Aion by Carl Jung, the idea of a shift of paradigms, understood against the astronomy of the precession of the equinox into Aquarius, has an entirely coherent core, despite its associations with magical folk traditions.
The problem is that we don't talk about Jung. You don't have to find thoughts like this in Jung texts, but in biblical texts.
Is your reason that “we don’t talk about Jung” that you share the academic pathology of regarding his ideas as anathema? “We” do talk about how other modern theologians interpret the Bible, but it seems Jung is cast into the outer darkness because something in his ideas upsets people terribly. Even David Tacey, in his bad book Jung and the New Age, fails to engage with Jung’s commentary on precession and instead presents anathemic caricature of the New Age in terms of irrational folk magic. This disjunction helps to illustrate why analysis such as I have provided on the precessional cosmology fails to gain academic traction.
Ulan wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote: Deconstructing these magical elements against their meaning within scientific astronomy... opens the question of how scientific method provides a foundation for a reassessment of the ethical values in the Bible in a way that is compatible with reason.
At last a clear statement. You are not using the scientific method, you construct a religion out of the scientific method. Funny enough, that's actually what I said in my last post, the point that when you say "science", you mean religion. At least we now have this from your own mouth.
I am constantly amazed Ulan by your deceptive ability to make false claims. Your comment here appears to assume the dogma that science is descriptive and not normative, treating any discussion of the normative implications of science as illegitimate.
Ulan wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:Paul's idea of the delivery of the creation from bondage in Romans 8:21, like the fantastic 1 Thessalonians 4 and 1 Cor 15 idea of the last trumpet, should not be condemned as magical delusion, but rather as a coherent and valuable allegorical long term vision of the structure of history.
Funny enough, this is exactly what many people on this board are doing, finding the allegorical meanings in the texts. However, most people here actually use the text as base for their speculations.
It looks like your objection is regarding analysis of the allegorical meaning of Paul’s eschatology. If you can point to other useful discussions of this topic I would be grateful.