John of Gischala "was scandalized" at the news about Josephus and Jesus ben Sapphat

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: John of Gischala "was scandalized" at the news about Josephus and Jesus ben Sapphat

Post by MrMacSon »

maryhelena wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 pm
Giuseppe wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:20 pm
After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers

(Luke 2:46-47)

...was based on Josephus's Life 2:

...and I made mighty proficiency in the improvements of my learning; and appeared to have both a great memory, and understanding. Moreover, when I was a child, and about fourteen years of age, I was commended by all for the love I had to learning; on which account the High Priests, and principal men of the city came then frequently to me together, in order to know my opinion about the accurate understanding of points of the law. And when I was about sixteen years old [A.D. 53], I had a mind to make trial of the several sects that were among us...the Pharisees; the Sadducees; and the Essenes ... I contented myself with hard fare; and underwent great difficulties; and went through them all ... I imitated Banus who lived in the desert ... https://penelope.uchicago.edu/josephus/autobiog.html

Jesus story based upon Josephus ? Then how about Paul's story also being based on Josephus ?

Apostle PaulFlavius Josephus
Roman citizenRoman citizen. Life. 77
Shipwreck on way to RomeShipwreck on way to Rome
Time in RomeTime in Rome
Trade: tent makerTrade: soldier and writer
An educated manAn educated man
A PhariseeA Pharisee
Not an original apostle, post the gospel crucifixion story.Born around 37 c.e. Pilate removed. Hence after gospel crucifixion dating.
Original Name is Saul of TarsusOriginal Name is Joseph ben Matityahu
Tribe of Benjamin. The tribe designated to stay with the Aaronic Priesthood and the tribe of David after the nation split in two.Descended from priests and royal Hasmonean blood.
A former persecutor of ChristiansJosephus had been an enemy of Rome
Circumcision not required of gentiles. Nor Jews living among Jews. Acts 21.21.Maintains circumcision not required of gentiles to stay among Jews. Life: 23
Paul was caught away to the third heavenJosephus had prophetic dreams
made defence before Agrippa IIappealed to Agrippa II re his history
had a friend named Epaphroditushad a friend named Epaphroditus

Or both Paul and Jesus being based [in part, at least] on Josephus?

4. [A.D. 63.] ... there were a great many very much elevated in hopes of a revolt from the Romans. I therefore endeavoured to put a stop to these tumultuous persons, and persuaded them to change their minds...and desired them not rashly, and after the most foolish manner, to bring on the dangers of the most terrible mischiefs upon their country, upon their families, and upon themselves. And this I said with vehement exhortations ...

7. ... all Galilee had not yet revolted from the Romans ... they sent me, and two others of the Priests, who were men of excellent characters, Joazar, and Judas, in order to persuade the ill men there to lay down their arms and to teach them ...that it were better to have those arms reserved for the most courageous men ...

8. When I had therefore received these instructions, I came into Galilee and found the people of Sepphoris in no small agony about their country; by reason that the Galileans had resolved to plunder it on account of the friendship they had with the Romans ... But I delivered them all out of the fear they were in and persuaded the multitude to deal kindly with them ...

9. There were three factions in this city. The first was composed of men of worth and gravity...Julius Capellus was the head. ... the second faction was composed of the most ignoble persons, and was determined for war ... Justus, the son of Pistus, who was the head of the third faction...was really desirous of innovation, as supposing that he should gain power to himself by the change of affairs...to provoke the people to a revolt...prevailed with the citizens of Tiberias to take arms; nay, and had forced a great many so to do against their wills; he went out, and set the villages on fire that belonged to Gadara and Hippos...situated on the borders of Tiberias, and of the region of Scythopolis ...

12. Now as soon as I was come into Galilee, and had learned this state of things, by the information of such as told me of them, I wrote to the Sanhedrim at Jerusalem about them and required their direction what I should do. Their direction was, that I should continue there; and that, if my fellow legates were willing, I should join with them in the care of Galilee. But those my fellow legates having gotten great riches, from those tythes which, as priests, were their dues, and were given to them; determined to return to their own country. Yet when I desired them to stay so long that we might first settle the public affairs, they complied with me ... I sent messengers to the senate of Tiberias; and desired that the principal men of the city would come to me. And when they were come, Justus himself being also with them, I told them, that I was sent to them by the people of Jerusalem, as a legate, together with these other priests, in order to persuade them to demolish that house which Herod the tetrarch had built there; and which had the figures of living creatures in it, although our laws have forbidden us to make any such figures. And I desired, that they would give us leave so to do immediately ...

13. ... I and my fellow legates went to Gischala, to John, as desirous to know his intentions. And soon saw that he was for innovations and had a mind to the principality. For he desired me to give him authority to carry off that corn which belonged to Cæsar and lay in the villages of upper Galilee: and he pretended that he would expend what it came to in building the walls of his own city. But when I perceived what he endeavoured at, and what he had in his mind, I said, I would not permit him so to do. For that I thought either to keep it for the Romans or for myself. Now I was intrusted with the public affairs there by the people of Jerusalem. But when he was not able to prevail with me, he betook himself to my fellow legates ... he said, that those Jews who inhabited Cesarea Philippi, shut up by the order of the King’s deputy there, had sent to him to desire him, that, since they had no oil that was pure for their use, he would provide a sufficient quantity of such oil for them: lest they should be forced to make use of oil that came from the Greeks, and thereby transgress their own laws. Now this was said by John; not out of his regard to religion, but out of his most flagrant desire of gain ... I permitted this to be done by John [only out of fear of the multitude, since, if I had forbidden him, I should have been stoned by them].

14. ... my first care was to keep Galilee in peace ...

15 ... I subdued John, who often laid treacherous snares for me; I did not punish [with death] either him or any of the people fore­named .... on this account I suppose it was that God...delivered me still out of the hands of these my enemies; and afterward preserved me ...

16. Now the multitude of the Galileans had that great kindness for me, and fidelity to me; that when their cities were taken by force, and their wives and children carried into slavery, they did not so deeply lament for their own calamities, as they were solicitous for my preservation ...

17 ... a messenger had come to me from Silas, whom I had made governor of Tiberias, as I have said already [War II.21.6], and had told me of the inclinations of the people of Tiberias; and advised me to make haste thither: for that, if I made any delay, the city would come under another’s jurisdiction. Upon the receipt of this letter of Silas’s, I took two hundred men along with me, and travelled all night: having sent before a messenger to let the people of Tiberias know, that I was coming to them. When I came near to the city, which was early in the morning, the multitude came out to meet me: and John came with them and saluted me, but in a most disturbed manner; as being afraid that my coming was to call him to an account ... I attempted to make a speech to the multitude of the people of Tiberias; and, standing on a certain elevated place, I intreated them not to be so hasty in their revolt ...

18. But, before I had spoken all I designed, I heard one of my own domestics bidding me come down: for that it was not a proper time to take care of retaining the good will of the people of Tiberias, but to provide for my own safety, and escape my enemies there. For John had chosen the most trusty of those armed men that were about him, out of those thousand that he had with him, and had given them orders, when he sent them, to kill me. Having learned that I was alone, excepting some of my domestics. So those that were sent came as they were ordered; and they had executed what they came about, had I not leaped down from the elevation I stood on, and, with one of my guards, whose name was James, been carried [out of the crowd] upon the back of one Herod of Tiberias, and guided by him down to the lake. Where I seized a ship, and got into it, and escaped my enemies unexpectedly ...

19. ... the people of Tiberias, they were greatly provoked at them. So they snatched up their arms and desired me to be their leader against them. For they said, they would avenge their commanders cause upon them. They also carried the report of what had been done to me to all the Galileans ...

maryhelena

Re: John of Gischala "was scandalized" at the news about Josephus and Jesus ben Sapphat

Post by maryhelena »

MrMacSon wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:16 pm
maryhelena wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 pm
Giuseppe wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:20 pm
After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers

(Luke 2:46-47)

...was based on Josephus's Life 2:

...and I made mighty proficiency in the improvements of my learning; and appeared to have both a great memory, and understanding. Moreover, when I was a child, and about fourteen years of age, I was commended by all for the love I had to learning; on which account the High Priests, and principal men of the city came then frequently to me together, in order to know my opinion about the accurate understanding of points of the law. And when I was about sixteen years old [A.D. 53], I had a mind to make trial of the several sects that were among us...the Pharisees; the Sadducees; and the Essenes ... I contented myself with hard fare; and underwent great difficulties; and went through them all ... I imitated Banus who lived in the desert ... https://penelope.uchicago.edu/josephus/autobiog.html

Jesus story based upon Josephus ? Then how about Paul's story also being based on Josephus ?

Apostle PaulFlavius Josephus
Roman citizenRoman citizen. Life. 77
Shipwreck on way to RomeShipwreck on way to Rome
Time in RomeTime in Rome
Trade: tent makerTrade: soldier and writer
An educated manAn educated man
A PhariseeA Pharisee
Not an original apostle, post the gospel crucifixion story.Born around 37 c.e. Pilate removed. Hence after gospel crucifixion dating.
Original Name is Saul of TarsusOriginal Name is Joseph ben Matityahu
Tribe of Benjamin. The tribe designated to stay with the Aaronic Priesthood and the tribe of David after the nation split in two.Descended from priests and royal Hasmonean blood.
A former persecutor of ChristiansJosephus had been an enemy of Rome
Circumcision not required of gentiles. Nor Jews living among Jews. Acts 21.21.Maintains circumcision not required of gentiles to stay among Jews. Life: 23
Paul was caught away to the third heavenJosephus had prophetic dreams
made defence before Agrippa IIappealed to Agrippa II re his history
had a friend named Epaphroditushad a friend named Epaphroditus

Or both Paul and Jesus being based [in part, at least] on Josephus?

4. [A.D. 63.] ... there were a great many very much elevated in hopes of a revolt from the Romans. I therefore endeavoured to put a stop to these tumultuous persons, and persuaded them to change their minds...and desired them not rashly, and after the most foolish manner, to bring on the dangers of the most terrible mischiefs upon their country, upon their families, and upon themselves. And this I said with vehement exhortations ...

7. ... all Galilee had not yet revolted from the Romans ... they sent me, and two others of the Priests, who were men of excellent characters, Joazar, and Judas, in order to persuade the ill men there to lay down their arms and to teach them ...that it were better to have those arms reserved for the most courageous men ...

8. When I had therefore received these instructions, I came into Galilee and found the people of Sepphoris in no small agony about their country; by reason that the Galileans had resolved to plunder it on account of the friendship they had with the Romans ... But I delivered them all out of the fear they were in and persuaded the multitude to deal kindly with them ...

9. There were three factions in this city. The first was composed of men of worth and gravity...Julius Capellus was the head. ... the second faction was composed of the most ignoble persons, and was determined for war ... Justus, the son of Pistus, who was the head of the third faction...was really desirous of innovation, as supposing that he should gain power to himself by the change of affairs...to provoke the people to a revolt...prevailed with the citizens of Tiberias to take arms; nay, and had forced a great many so to do against their wills; he went out, and set the villages on fire that belonged to Gadara and Hippos...situated on the borders of Tiberias, and of the region of Scythopolis ...

12. Now as soon as I was come into Galilee, and had learned this state of things, by the information of such as told me of them, I wrote to the Sanhedrim at Jerusalem about them and required their direction what I should do. Their direction was, that I should continue there; and that, if my fellow legates were willing, I should join with them in the care of Galilee. But those my fellow legates having gotten great riches, from those tythes which, as priests, were their dues, and were given to them; determined to return to their own country. Yet when I desired them to stay so long that we might first settle the public affairs, they complied with me ... I sent messengers to the senate of Tiberias; and desired that the principal men of the city would come to me. And when they were come, Justus himself being also with them, I told them, that I was sent to them by the people of Jerusalem, as a legate, together with these other priests, in order to persuade them to demolish that house which Herod the tetrarch had built there; and which had the figures of living creatures in it, although our laws have forbidden us to make any such figures. And I desired, that they would give us leave so to do immediately ...

13. ... I and my fellow legates went to Gischala, to John, as desirous to know his intentions. And soon saw that he was for innovations and had a mind to the principality. For he desired me to give him authority to carry off that corn which belonged to Cæsar and lay in the villages of upper Galilee: and he pretended that he would expend what it came to in building the walls of his own city. But when I perceived what he endeavoured at, and what he had in his mind, I said, I would not permit him so to do. For that I thought either to keep it for the Romans or for myself. Now I was intrusted with the public affairs there by the people of Jerusalem. But when he was not able to prevail with me, he betook himself to my fellow legates ... he said, that those Jews who inhabited Cesarea Philippi, shut up by the order of the King’s deputy there, had sent to him to desire him, that, since they had no oil that was pure for their use, he would provide a sufficient quantity of such oil for them: lest they should be forced to make use of oil that came from the Greeks, and thereby transgress their own laws. Now this was said by John; not out of his regard to religion, but out of his most flagrant desire of gain ... I permitted this to be done by John [only out of fear of the multitude, since, if I had forbidden him, I should have been stoned by them].

14. ... my first care was to keep Galilee in peace ...

15 ... I subdued John, who often laid treacherous snares for me; I did not punish [with death] either him or any of the people fore­named .... on this account I suppose it was that God...delivered me still out of the hands of these my enemies; and afterward preserved me ...

16. Now the multitude of the Galileans had that great kindness for me, and fidelity to me; that when their cities were taken by force, and their wives and children carried into slavery, they did not so deeply lament for their own calamities, as they were solicitous for my preservation ...

17 ... a messenger had come to me from Silas, whom I had made governor of Tiberias, as I have said already [War II.21.6], and had told me of the inclinations of the people of Tiberias; and advised me to make haste thither: for that, if I made any delay, the city would come under another’s jurisdiction. Upon the receipt of this letter of Silas’s, I took two hundred men along with me, and travelled all night: having sent before a messenger to let the people of Tiberias know, that I was coming to them. When I came near to the city, which was early in the morning, the multitude came out to meet me: and John came with them and saluted me, but in a most disturbed manner; as being afraid that my coming was to call him to an account ... I attempted to make a speech to the multitude of the people of Tiberias; and, standing on a certain elevated place, I intreated them not to be so hasty in their revolt ...

18. But, before I had spoken all I designed, I heard one of my own domestics bidding me come down: for that it was not a proper time to take care of retaining the good will of the people of Tiberias, but to provide for my own safety, and escape my enemies there. For John had chosen the most trusty of those armed men that were about him, out of those thousand that he had with him, and had given them orders, when he sent them, to kill me. Having learned that I was alone, excepting some of my domestics. So those that were sent came as they were ordered; and they had executed what they came about, had I not leaped down from the elevation I stood on, and, with one of my guards, whose name was James, been carried [out of the crowd] upon the back of one Herod of Tiberias, and guided by him down to the lake. Where I seized a ship, and got into it, and escaped my enemies unexpectedly ...

19. ... the people of Tiberias, they were greatly provoked at them. So they snatched up their arms and desired me to be their leader against them. For they said, they would avenge their commanders cause upon them. They also carried the report of what had been done to me to all the Galileans ...

''Or both Paul and Jesus being based [in part, at least] on Josephus''?

And Josephus - based on ?. OK, I'll take a guess - pure speculation of course - Agrippa II.

Giuseppe - once one gets involved with Josephus - one enters a world of his making. Take care.

The first century CE is like an ancient monument. It is a place of interest with riches that the visitor wants to stand among, their ambience to imbibe. Unfortunately, access to the site is limited to one point of entry. Most of the sources only provide a mere glimpse of the site. The only point of entry which allows you to view the site from within is the narrative of Josephus. The problem is that, once inside, we are offered an ‘official’ guided tour of the site. Josephus takes us to the various locations that he deems are the highlights. Our excitement at entering the site, therefore, is balanced by the requirements of Josephus that he shows us the official tour. It is time we left the official tour party. We have been given access to the site by Josephus but to ensure we are able to explore its contents in detail we must stand apart from him. As such, our visit to the site may take more time than the official tour program allows. But who wants to stay on a tour that does not let you stop and take your own pictures?

James S. McLaren: Turbulent Times? Josephus and Scholarship on Judaea in the First Century CE.

===============

Herod Agrippa II

During the Jewish–Roman War

In the seventeenth year of Agrippa's reign (corresponding with the 12th year of Nero's reign, or 65/66 AD), Agrippa tried desperately to avert a war with Rome,[9] when he saw his countrymen generally disposed to fight against Rome, because of insults and abuses they had been facing under the Roman procurator, Gessius Florus. At this time, they had broken off the cloisters leading from Antonia Fortress to the Temple Mount where Roman soldiers went to keep guard during the Jewish holidays, and they refused to pay the due tribute to Rome.[10] Agrippa convened the people and urged them to tolerate the temporary injustices done to them and submit themselves to Roman hegemony. At length, Agrippa failed to prevent his subjects from rebelling, whereas, during a certain holiday when the Roman governor of Syria, Cestius Gallus, had passed through Judea to quell the rebellion, he was routed by Jewish forces.[11] By 66 the citizenry of Jerusalem expelled their king, Agrippa, and his sister, Berenice, from Jerusalem.[1] During the First Jewish–Roman War of 66–73, he sent 2,000 men, archers and cavalry, to support Roman general Vespasian, showing that, although a Jew, he was entirely devoted to the Roman Empire.[2] He accompanied Vespasian's son Titus on part of his campaigns against the rebels,[1] and was wounded at the siege of Gamla. After the capture of Jerusalem, he went with his sister Berenice to Rome, where he was invested with the dignity of praetor and rewarded with additional territory.

Relations with Josephus

Agrippa had a great intimacy with the historian Josephus, having supplied him with information for his history, Antiquities of the Jews.[2] Josephus preserved two of the letters he received from him

Josephus

Flavius Josephus fully defected to the Roman side and was granted Roman citizenship. He became an advisor and friend of Vespasian's son Titus, serving as his translator when Titus led the siege of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

maryhelena wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:13 pm And Josephus - based on ?. OK, I'll take a guess - pure speculation of course - Agrippa II.
How do you do it, maryhelena?
Secret Alias wrote a "...silly little book" [His words...] on A-II and HE didn't get it.

Everyone, please look at "The Baptism of John" and "The Baptism of the Holy Spirit".

Acts 19: 2 (RSV):
[2] And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have never even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."

What, God can't get it right in three tries?

Acts 18: 24 - 26 (RSV):

[24] Now a Jew named Apol'los, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man, well versed in the scriptures.
[25] He had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of John.
[26] He began to speak boldly in the synagogue; but when Priscilla and Aq'uila heard him, they took him and expounded to him the way of God more accurately.

Who do you think this is? A-II goes with Titus but Titus turns around and goes back to Vespasian to finish the job on Jerusalem.
BTW, wanna bet that one of the boats those two were on was named "Aquila"? Just asking for a friend.

Before you can even come up for air, "The Baptism of John" (Titus) has been replaced by "The Baptism of the Holy Spirit" (Domitian).
'N everybody's OK with that.

Agrippa II. Has a ring to it, doesn't it?

CW
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Charles Wilson wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:04 am
maryhelena wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:13 pm And Josephus - based on ?. OK, I'll take a guess - pure speculation of course - Agrippa II.
How do you do it, maryhelena?
Secret Alias wrote a "...silly little book" [His words...] on A-II and HE didn't get it.

Everyone, please look at "The Baptism of John" and "The Baptism of the Holy Spirit".

Acts 19: 2 (RSV):
[2] And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have never even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."

What, God can't get it right in three tries?

Acts 18: 24 - 26 (RSV):

[24] Now a Jew named Apol'los, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man, well versed in the scriptures.
[25] He had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of John.
[26] He began to speak boldly in the synagogue; but when Priscilla and Aq'uila heard him, they took him and expounded to him the way of God more accurately.

Who do you think this is? A-II goes with Titus but Titus turns around and goes back to Vespasian to finish the job on Jerusalem.
BTW, wanna bet that one of the boats those two were on was named "Aquila"? Just asking for a friend.

Before you can even come up for air, "The Baptism of John" (Titus) has been replaced by "The Baptism of the Holy Spirit" (Domitian).
'N everybody's OK with that.

Agrippa II. Has a ring to it, doesn't it?

CW
Bottom line, history needs to be on the table in any attempt to research early Christian origins. Without a foothold in history interpretations are just blowing in the wind....keeping in mind that 'Josephus says so' is not a historical guarantee of anything at all..... His stories are just stories without external historical support/evidence.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

maryhelena wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:24 am Bottom line, history needs to be on the table in any attempt to research early Christian origins. Without a foothold in history interpretations are just blowing in the wind....keeping in mind that 'Josephus says so' is not a historical guarantee of anything at all..... His stories are just stories without external historical support/evidence.
Amen, Sister, and pass the plate.

A quick nod to the Logical Positivists (esp. A J Ayer) may be due here.
The Cheap Form of the Verification Principle:

"The meaning of a proposition is to be found in the Form of its Verification."

How do we verify something like a "Celestial Crucifixion"? We might be able to verify that there were people who thought that there was such a thing but that's about it.

"Agrippa II sailed with Titus on two long boats..." An empirical statement with a Truth Value.
"Agrippa II was castrated by Caligula and that act nearly caused a War. Agrippa II later married his sister and never had children. This marriage was allowed despite strict prohibition of such an act in the OT".

Hmmm... What's the Truth Value of those Propositions?

History, folks. History.