Marcion’s Gospel and the New Testament: Catalyst or Consequence?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
StephenGoranson

Re: Marcion’s Gospel and the New Testament: Catalyst or Consequence?

Post by StephenGoranson »

Back to maryhelena's question on publications. In some cases journal authors, or their institutions, are even required to pay a fee in order to be published in a journal. (I never did this.) An opposite extreme is some free nonsense on the internet. One hopeful development is some publications, however financed (beyond my expertise), that are both peer reviewed (even though peer review is far from perfect) and also open source.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Math and statistics (my degree) papers just go up on arxiv.org
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

StephenGoranson wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:09 pm Back to maryhelena's question on publications. In some cases journal authors, or their institutions, are even required to pay a fee in order to be published in a journal. (I never did this.) An opposite extreme is some free nonsense on the internet. One hopeful development is some publications, however financed (beyond my expertise), that are both peer reviewed (even though peer review is far from perfect) and also open source.
Thanks for info.

At the end of the day - perhaps universities could publish - online as its low cost - the work/articles that their scholars write while being paid by the university (particularly if a university is being given any government grant). No scholar is producing work/articles that have no dependence upon the scholars before them. Hence, they could, by way of acknowledgement, allow their own work to be distributed for free (online). By all means publish a book outside of university time (spare time writing) and take ones chances with the marketplace. However, the passing on of knowledge should not be subject to the marketplace - receive free and allow ones own contribution to be freely available. Yes, research takes time - and time is costly. But that financial cost is subsidised either through university grands or private organizations or patrons. Whatever the way - the researcher is being paid for his/her time. I'm beginning to think the whole model of distribution of scholarly writings/articles has missed the point - knowledge should never become a commodity for sale. Fund the research - but let the research go free....after all, is it not knowledge itself that we seek....and not the mighty dollar....
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Peter Kirby wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:16 pm Math and statistics (my degree) papers just go up on arxiv.org
That website seems very similar to what you have provided here.... a venue to encourage open discussion and debate.. a sharing of research and knowledge. Long may it continue.

:cheers: