Is 'called Christ' in Ant 20:200 a Christian gloss just as 'born by woman' is a Catholic gloss in Gal 4:4?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
GakuseiDon

Re: Is 'called Christ' in Ant 20:200 a Christian gloss just as 'born by woman' is a Catholic gloss in Gal 4:4?

Post by GakuseiDon »

Peter Kirby wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:39 pmI kinda don't get it. Hanging around at creation but not the Son?
An angel perhaps, given a promotion? I think Ehrman believes something along those lines, though I haven't looked into that.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Is 'called Christ' in Ant 20:200 a Christian gloss just as 'born by woman' is a Catholic gloss in Gal 4:4?

Post by Peter Kirby »

GakuseiDon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:42 pm
Peter Kirby wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:39 pmI kinda don't get it. Hanging around at creation but not the Son?
An angel perhaps, given a promotion? I think Ehrman believes something along those lines, though I haven't looked into that.
The "sending his Son" language (Rom 8:3, Gal 4:4) may suggest otherwise.

I also tend to discount part of Rom 1:1-5 as an interpolation even if it couldn't be interpreted otherwise, which it probably can.

I may still be missing something here.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Peter Kirby wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:39 pm
GakuseiDon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:35 pm According to Paul, Jesus became Son of God at the resurrection. Christians can inherit the mantle via adoption. That would be true whether Jesus was pre-existent or not.
I kinda don't get it. Hanging around at creation but not the Son?
marcellus of ancyra probably taught that the word or logos of God went back to the creation but only became the Son of God at the incarnation. (I doubt whether this 4th century position was held in the 1st century.)

Andrew Criddle