Is it more noble to defend an innocent man or convict a guilty man?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Is it more noble to defend an innocent man or convict a guilty man?

Post by Secret Alias »

So a perfect example Morton Smith was apparently tracking down Atanas Madjoucoff down as a refugee in Lebanon. That's the beginning of their story as it is known to us. Morton Smith frequented monasteries in and around Jerusalem. The father was associated with monasteries in and around Jerusalem working as a translator. The family suggests the original relationship was with the father. Morton Smith knew Atanas's father and because he was working as a priest he recommended the son. Why go the other route? I asked to see the evidence. I was told the Atlantic prohibited that request.

Wherever the evidence is inconclusive side with mercy.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

About the photo. My dad was drafted into the German army at 15. Never fired a shot. Was captured by the Russians without incident at his home. Sentenced with his father to indefinite imprisonment in Siberia. My grandfather was beaten to death in 1947. My dad's best friend in the camp the one who saved his life didn't want to talk with him at all after their release in the 1950s. My dad would cry about it the rest of his life. My Jewish grandfather would cry about his experiences in camps. People get emotional about their experiences in the camps. Not sure what's surprising about getting emotional about meaning as much to your redeemer as your redeemer meant to you.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The family is also pissed off about the complete omission that Morton Smith redeemed their father from being a refugee in 1951. They feel the omission was deliberate. At least the ones I spoke with. Whatever the case if you sided with the principle of mercy this wouldn't be an issue.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I was told by family members that Sabar had records apparently of Smith using agencies to search for Atanas in the refugee camps. He knew it was factual. At least that's what I was told.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Some more notes from our conversation

Father always said good things about Morton Smith. My father's best friend. Father was able to sponsor his brother and then my cousins. My aunt and uncle came over. They went to California. He sponsored them as well. My father was fortunate that he wasn't in a camp but living with his sister in brother in law find a place to live in southern Lebanon. The second point I don't know, when the family decided to leave my grandfather decided to stay to Jerusalem and go back to the monastery and went back to the church. I will take my risk stay here. Not to say Ariel was lying but he was only point out the truths he wanted to point out, his version of events.