Starting to Have Strong Doubts About Ariel Sabar's Timeline

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Starting to Have Strong Doubts About Ariel Sabar's Timeline

Post by Secret Alias »

I will say, while I cannot prove it, that the way the sentence is written:
He has been joined recently by his assistant, Mr. Anthanase Madjukoff, who is also staying at the School.
"the School" = "American School of Classical Studies at Athens." My reading is. Smith came from America to Athens. Madjukoff came from Jerusalem. They met at Athens.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I've noticed that Morton Smith's birthday is listed as May 28, 1915 on all official documents from the government for whatever reason.

His boat departing the United States for 1 year:

Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Picture of Quentin Quesnell

Was also of Canadian descent. His grandfather was from Quebec.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

If someone digs deeply enough I think Morton Smith got "Madjukoff" a job at Brown.

https://books.google.com/books?id=h4fOA ... AF6BAgJEAI
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

He has been joined recently by his assistant, Mr. Anthanase Madjukoff, who is also staying at the School.
In case anyone wonders what "staying at the school" means https://www.ascsa.edu.gr/about/informat ... hool#Rooms It was one large Carpocratian orgy here.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:05 am Look at this.

This has to be what Sabar based his claim:
Madjoucoff accompanied Smith to monastery libraries around Greece, and in August 1952, according to passenger manifests, they boarded the SS Excambion together, in Piraeus, for an 18-day voyage to Boston.
Smith might be listed on another passenger manifest.
Why not just pretend fellow passenger Hermione Tsakiris MUST have been Smith "in drag?"

Lets take these wild speculations to their extremes.

The familiar names Rupert in the other document and Hermione in the present document, suggest that Smith was in a far wider plot to undermine the youth of America, by planting things that would influence future author J. K. Rowling to write Harry Potter books about youth engaged wantonly in satanic wizardry & witchcraft.

Same goes for influencing future writers Irene Mecchi, Jonathan Roberts and Linda Woolverton who wrote the screenplay of The Lion King animated movie, in which a youth runs from his destiny to waste away in decadent debauchery without a care or worry, while his kingdom was ravaged by the evil "Scar." Smith MUST have been in alliance with a real life Scar like the one in Mystery at Mar Saba. Surely, Simba MUST have been in a 3 way sexual relationship with Pumba and Timon, yes? Those Bohemians!

I am really surprised there are so many academic types here jumping on Stephen Carlson's Gospel Hoax style character assassination of Smith bandwagon by reviving amateur paleographic nit picking of the newer B&W & color photos, and wholesale acceptance of the idea that ONLY a homosexual pervert could have dared suggest that Carpocratians could well have claimed Jesus engaged in a naked initiation ritual. "How DARE he!!!!!!!! Jesus would NEVER do something like that! EVER! It is taboo to even think about, even as an alleged fake teaching by Carpocratians."

If one were to ask me, I think it is those who are hopping back on this bandwagon of character assassination who are the ones who harbor a horrifying fear of secret "Homosexuals" influencing their children! So fearful, they are making up "facts" to support their fears.

Geez. Many of you should be ashamed.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

DCH, what you'll usually find is something a little more dismissive than that. Instead of going into any "assassination" attempts, it's not uncommon just to imply that it's now not very possible to take the fragment seriously as authentic Clement. Just not something one does nowadays. There's been a shift in attitude since I first put together the Early Christian Writings website long, long ago.

Authenticity lost "de facto" at some point, for a wide section of scholarship, though it's not entirely clear why.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Certainty. It's all about certainty. The fact that we can't be a hundred percent sure it's authentic (because we can't) means it's fake. The gospels on the other were said to be fakes from the moment they were published. They're "authentic." Why? Certainty. It's like the next election for most Americans. You got to choose sides.
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

That the "Letter to Theodore" was not written by Clement has been argued by Andrew Criddle, Eric Osborn, Jonathan Klawans, Geoffrey Smith and Brent Landau, Grant Adamson, and others.
I think it was not written by Clement.
Research is open.
Argue otherwise, if you wish.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Sources as early as the third century have said that Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were fakes. That the Acts of the Apostles was a spurious codex. Argue as you wish.