Starting to Have Strong Doubts About Ariel Sabar's Timeline

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Starting to Have Strong Doubts About Ariel Sabar's Timeline

Post by Secret Alias »

Back with this same old nonsense in a thread called "starting to have doubts about Ariel Sabar's timeline." So you won't answer the question regarding whether Ariel Sabar's efforts to intimate that Atanas Madjoucoff was Morton Smith's lover was fair based on the evidence. I take that as an acknowledgement it was unfair but useful to the war against Morton Smith so you don't care about what that did to his legacy or his family's remembrance of their father. If you don't contradict my interpretation I will note it as such.
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

Of course I contradict your interpretation, but can't promise to attempt to counter all errors.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

So you acknowledge that Ariel Sabar was trying to demonstrate that Atanas Madjoucoff was Morton Smith's lover in the Atlantic piece and you think, based on the evidence assembled by Sabar, that he has indeed made a convincing case for this assertion.
StephenGoranson

No. Don't put words in my mouth. I have no direct knowledge of that man.
What I do currently think is that Sabar's article--***which was vetted, typically via additional information, and approved by Atlantic editors***--is generally, relatively, a more credible and coherent presentation than yours.

And, what is yours, beyond insisting Smith was innocent? E.g., do you still think Clement wrote it?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I am happy being uncertain. I am unhappy with certitude. I study Marcion. Don't think Smith forged it. Doesn't add up. For me the proper context is Basil Letter 366. Which came first the chicken or the egg? Stromata or 366? But that's me.
StephenGoranson

Happy uncertain while declaring Smith certainly would not do that? Hm.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

There is no evidence he did it. I also don't believe that Jesus was God. No evidence.
StephenGoranson

Deflection again.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Do think a mere accusation of forgery is evidence of forgery? No one outside of this could imagine how crazy this debate is. I feel sorry for any innocent party interviewed by Sabar. It must have been like "how are you?" "tell me about your father's relationship with Morton Smith" "how are your kids doing." Then they opened the article. Wham! Your father was Morton Smith's gay lover. It must have completely steamroller over them the depths of the depravity of this debate. Poor family. The story about Secret Mark isn't Secret Mark it's why it's so important to so many people to turn this into a circus.
Last edited by Secret Alias on Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenGoranson

Of course not, but anyone with open eyes who says there is "no evidence" is not credible.