Morton Smith Movie

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Morton Smith Movie

Post by Peter Kirby »

But I think the more personal angle is legit because the subject has been made very personal already. But in a wax figure, anonymous leaflet kind of way. Give it some life!
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Scene 24 INT. MORTON SMITH'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

Morton Smith, a middle-aged man with an introspective gaze, finds himself in the familiar yet surreal embrace of his bedroom. The walls, once a comforting shade of beige, now shift and pulse with vibrant, unnameable colors. He sits up, his heart beating a rhythm of anticipation and dread.

CUT TO:

DREAM SEQUENCE - A MYSTICAL FOREST

Morton finds himself standing in the heart of a mystical forest. The trees, towering and ancient, whisper secrets as their leaves dance in a non-existent breeze. The sky above is a canvas of stars and swirling galaxies, a portal to the unknown.

Suddenly, a path illuminates before him, paved with golden light. Compelled, Morton follows, each step echoing with a sound that is more felt than heard.

CUT TO:

A CLEARING IN THE FOREST

The path leads Morton to a clearing, where the moon shines bright and full, bathing everything in a silver glow. In the center, a MIRROR stands, ornate and imposing, its surface shimmering with ethereal energy.

Morton approaches, his reflection meeting his gaze. But as he watches, his image shifts, revealing aspects of himself long buried. Faces of desire and fear, masculinity and femininity, blend and interchange, challenging Morton's understanding of his own identity.

Suddenly, from the depths of the forest, a FIGURE emerges. This person, androgynous and radiant, walks toward Morton with a grace that transcends gender. They hold Morton's gaze, a silent invitation to explore the depths of his being.

MORTON
(whispering to himself)
Who am I, in the mirror of my desires?

The Figure smiles, reaching out a hand. As Morton takes it, a surge of emotions floods him—love, acceptance, confusion, and hope intertwining.

FIGURE
(softly)
In dreams, we see the truths that daylight veils. Your heart knows its own path.

With those words, the Figure dissolves into light, infusing Morton with a sense of peace and a burgeoning acceptance of his multifaceted nature.

CUT BACK TO:

INT. MORTON SMITH'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

Morton awakens with a start, the morning light creeping through the curtains. He sits in silence, the dream's echoes loud in his mind. A smile, hesitant but genuine, forms on his lips as he whispers to himself.

MORTON
(to himself)
The journey begins with a single step... my step.

FADE OUT.

This dream sequence is designed to explore Morton's subconscious grappling with his own sexuality and identity in a symbolic, non-explicit manner. The mystical elements and surreal imagery aim to reflect the introspective and transformative nature of his journey.

Scene 25 INT. COZY CAFE - DAY

The cafe is a sanctuary from the outside world, with the murmur of conversations and the gentle clinking of cups creating a symphony of everyday life. At a window-side table sits MORTON SMITH, a contemplative man at the crossroads of his life, across from his longtime friend, ATANAS TODOR MADJOUCOFF. Their friendship, seasoned with time, is a testament to their shared experiences and unspoken understandings.

MORTON
You know, Atanas, lately I've been pondering... what's the true essence of our pursuits? This chase for fame, it's all-consuming, yet I wonder, does it genuinely fulfill us?

ATANAS TODOR MADJOUCOFF, with eyes that have seen much and a soul that understands more, takes a moment to sip his coffee, letting Morton's words linger in the air before responding.

ATANAS
The quest for meaning, Morton, is as ancient as humanity itself. Do you feel that fame is a piece of your puzzle?

MORTON
(Exhaling a weighty sigh)
At times, it feels like a Sisyphean task. The endless striving, the public eye always watching, always expecting more... I question if it brings me joy or if it's merely a cycle of endless desire.

ATANAS
(Leaning in, intrigued)
And in the quiet of your soul, what whispers do you hear? Beyond the accolades, what is it that you truly seek?

MORTON
(Pausing, then with a surge of clarity)
Connection, I suppose. A sense of making a mark, of mattering to someone in this vast world. Isn't that a universal longing? To be remembered, to have made a difference...

ATANAS
(Nods in agreement)
Indeed, but fame, Morton, is as ephemeral as the morning dew. It's the connections we forge, the hearts we touch... That is where true significance lies. Not in the resonance of our names but in the silent echoes of our deeds.

MORTON
(Reflecting on Atanas's words)
You've struck a chord, as you often do. I sometimes fear that in my quest for recognition, I've overlooked the very connections I crave.

ATANAS
(With a comforting smile)
The journey isn't over, my friend. Life's beauty lies in its ability to balance, to find harmony between ambition and contentment, to chase dreams without losing ourselves to them.

MORTON
(Feeling a lightness he hadn't in years)
Maybe it's time for a new chapter. To seek happiness in the path itself, not merely the accolades at its end.

ATANAS
(His smile a beacon of wisdom)
A worthy pursuit, Morton. Remember, our legacy isn't just in the work we leave behind; it's in the moments of joy we create, the laughter we share, and the light we bring into each other's lives.

MORTON
(With a shaky voice)
And there’s something else, Atanas... I’ve been... involved with Lotta Gaster, Theodor’s wife. I know how it sounds.

ATANAS
(Shock momentarily crosses his face before settling into a somber calm)
Morton, that's... a lot to take in. Why? Why her?

MORTON
It's complicated. Theodor, he lives in his own world, a world of purity, of beauty, translating the Bible from Hebrew, trying to capture its essence. And here I am, envious of his detachment from our worldly ambitions.

ATANAS
(A frown creasing his brow)
Envy... But, Morton, to act on it in such a way?

MORTON
(He looks away, ashamed)
I know, I know. It’s not even about Lotta, not really. She’s... I don’t even find her particularly attractive. It’s more about what she represents. My involvement with her is almost like... like revenge on Theodor’s purity and innocence.

ATANAS
(Sighing deeply)
Morton, do you hear yourself? Revenge on innocence? That’s a dark path to tread, my friend.

MORTON
(A moment of silence as he contemplates Atanas’s words)
And the worst part? Theodor relies on me, financially. His work, his art, it doesn’t pay. I've supported him, in a way. And this... affair, it's like I'm betraying him on two fronts.

ATANAS
(Gently)
It sounds like you're carrying a heavy burden, Morton. But continuing this affair... do you think it will lighten that load or add to it?

MORTON
(Sighs, a look of resignation washing over him)
I should end it. I know I should. But, Atanas, I feel so utterly alone. Lotta, in some twisted way, fills that void, even if it's just a mirage.

ATANAS
(Morton’s confession lays heavy between them)
Loneliness can lead us down roads we never thought we’d travel. But Morton, finding solace in someone else’s partner, especially under such circumstances, is a temporary salve for a deeper wound.

MORTON
(Nods, the weight of his actions sinking in)
You’re right. It’s just... hard. I admire Theodor, in a way. His dedication to his scholarship, his lack of concern for the material... I wish I could find fulfillment in something as he does.

ATANAS
And perhaps you can, Morton. But not like this. Not at the expense of others' happiness and trust. There’s a path for you, one that leads to genuine contentment and connection. But it starts with making amends and seeking forgiveness, from Theodor and from yourself.

Morton takes in Atanas’s words, the gravity of his actions and the path to redemption dawning upon him. The conversation, once light and philosophical, now carries the weight of confession and the potential for forgiveness, marking the beginning of Morton’s journey toward healing and self-discovery.

FADE OUT.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I have emailed Corinna Gaster to write the next scene in the movie (why not have an eyewitness rather than making up stuff). Email bounced back.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The last Facebook post I see is 2020. Ominous date for an elderly person. Last X post 2019.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Yeah the window is closing on doing some oral history here.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The law firm she worked at was disbarred. https://www.flsd.uscourts.gov/adminorde ... bar-183408 One person who knew Morton Smith agreed with my assessment the script is not going to win an academy award. Maybe I should make it a musical.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

No answer by phone, text, email bounce. Doesn't look good.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

She was in her right mind when she spoke to me. She was a practicing attorney and she was a staff writer at her local paper. https://www.gainesville.com/search/?q=corinna+gaster
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

So how do you get this published in The Atlantic?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... us/677472/
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

He's a staff writer. He's very good at what he does. Unfortunately it's a musical act. You make Sgt Peppers and its a big hit but Magical Mystery Tour just seems like a retread. With the Jesus Wife stuff his dirt advanced the narrative and contextualized the narrative that was already going around. In this case, there wasn't much new and you had to find Smith's gay lover. He didn't.