Further evidence that Ignatius faced old deniers of the historicity of Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
DCHindley

Re: Further evidence that Ignatius faced old deniers of the historicity of Jesus

Post by DCHindley »

Part of my problem is that I do not read Carrier, at all. Someone had cited the letter to the Tarsians in an earlier post, so I thought that might be it.

According to my analysis of this epistle (posted several years ago) to the Philadelphians:
8.2) And I exhort you to do nothing out of strife, but according to the doctrine of Christ.

When I heard some saying that, “If I do not find it in the public records (τοῖς ἀρχείοις εὕρω), I will not believe the Gospel;”

On my saying to them, “It is written” (ὅτι γέγραπται), [in the NT for sure, maybe also in Greek translation of Judean sacred texts] they answered me, “That remains to be proved” (ὅτι πρόκειται) [presumably from the archives].

But my public record (Ἐμοὶ δὲ ἀρχεῖά), is Jesus Christ, [presumably as found in the NT or other scriptures), (are) the authentic public records (τὰ ἄθικτα ἀρχεῖα) [i.e., scripture trumps public records], (relaying authentic information about) His cross, and death, and resurrection, and the faith which is by Him,

Through which (faith) I desire, through your prayers, to be justified.
The subject of “archives” has come up before on this board. I think G has already cited it.

There were no “official” government archives for documents that might corroborate the gospel story, that is unless they were recorded in private diaries of the officials involved. These personal diaries were not public property, but the official’s own property, just in case he might be accused of doing something illegal and needed it to support his version of events.

Contemporary writers might have had access to some of them by private arrangement, such as Josephus being granted access to at least copies of Vespasian's & Titus' own diaries of the events, when he wrote his account of the Judean War as a client of his patrons V & T. Whether that kind of information transfer regarding the events related in the NT ever really occurred, much less got into Christian or even pagan hands, is another thing that needs to be proved. Irenaeus and Tertullian, maybe Justin, all thought that such information just HAD to be out there, just waiting to be found, and if looked for, would assuredly prove that the NT gospels factually depicted things. Oohh-Kay.

The only thing that seriously challenged the Christian account of their origins, was the Acta Pilate (supposedly extracts from the diary of Pontius Pilate, and even Jesus’ own diary!). That would be sometimes between 305-312 CE, as these alleged documents were published by flatterers of co-emperor Maximin of Asia Minor.

What they based them on is anyone’s guess. Eusebius says they were fabricated whole cloth, citing chronological differences with the Gospels. That sort of thing can be reversed and the implication would then be that these are the “true” events (occurring ca 19-20 CE) that Christians spun into their version of things where Jesus was “really” a peace-nik sage. This would date this to a period much later than usually ascribed to Ignatius, though.

So maybe Ignatius’ interlocuters were just making excuses, as no one was really able to find real records of those events.

DCH
Giuseppe wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:36 am
DCHindley wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:31 am
I think what Giuseppe has in mind is this passage in The Epistle to the Tarsians
No, I mean this (even if your quoted passage is considered by Earl Doherty evidence that well more than mere docetists are in view by Ignatius):

When I heard some saying, If I do not find [mention of Jesus] in the archives, I will not believe the Gospel; on my saying to them, It is written [in the Old Testament], they answered me, That remains to be proved. But to me Jesus Christ is the archive. His cross, and death, and resurrection, and the faith which is by Him, are undefiled monuments of antiquity; by which I desire, through your prayers, to be justified.

(Epistle to the Philadelphians)
andrewcriddle

Re: Further evidence that Ignatius faced old deniers of the historicity of Jesus

Post by andrewcriddle »

DCHindley wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:31 am Hey Joseph,

Glad to see you back!

I think what Giuseppe has in mind is this passage in The Epistle to the Tarsians:
Chapter III.—The true doctrine respecting Christ.

Mindful of him, do ye by all means know that Jesus the Lord was truly born of Mary,
being made of a woman; and was as truly crucified. For, says he, 'God forbid that I should
glory, save in the cross of the Lord Jesus' (Gal. vi. 14). And He really suffered, and died, and rose
again. (ANF vol 1)
The problem is, this is preserved (I believe) only in Latin, and there is no Greek recension, longer or shorter, to compare it to. Most of the others have Greek equivalents in either the shorter or the longer Greek recensions, or both.

This suggests that, at the time that this pseudepigrapha was written, in Latin, someone was claiming that Jesus the Lord was not born by a woman, even Mary, or that Jesus did not really die under Pontius Pilate. This sounds like a response to Marcion claiming Jesus had no material human body and Docetists who claimed his death was just an illusion. I do not recall off the top of my head whether Marcion also claimed that Jesus had only appeared to suffer on the cross. This would then not be a sign that there was doubt about the timing and main characters of the story, but whether it was just an illusionary or a real death.

DCH

Tarsians does survive in Greek. Pseudo-Ignatius is presenting an Arian christology in opposition to Nicea. See Ignatius and the Arian controversy.

Andrew Criddle
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

andrewcriddle wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:12 am
DCHindley wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:31 am Hey Joseph,

Glad to see you back!

I think what Giuseppe has in mind is this passage in The Epistle to the Tarsians:
Chapter III.—The true doctrine respecting Christ.

Mindful of him, do ye by all means know that Jesus the Lord was truly born of Mary,
being made of a woman; and was as truly crucified. For, says he, 'God forbid that I should
glory, save in the cross of the Lord Jesus' (Gal. vi. 14). And He really suffered, and died, and rose
again. (ANF vol 1)
The problem is, this is preserved (I believe) only in Latin, and there is no Greek recension, longer or shorter, to compare it to. Most of the others have Greek equivalents in either the shorter or the longer Greek recensions, or both.

This suggests that, at the time that this pseudepigrapha was written, in Latin, someone was claiming that Jesus the Lord was not born by a woman, even Mary, or that Jesus did not really die under Pontius Pilate. This sounds like a response to Marcion claiming Jesus had no material human body and Docetists who claimed his death was just an illusion. I do not recall off the top of my head whether Marcion also claimed that Jesus had only appeared to suffer on the cross. This would then not be a sign that there was doubt about the timing and main characters of the story, but whether it was just an illusionary or a real death.

DCH
Tarsians does survive in Greek. Pseudo-Ignatius is presenting an Arian christology in opposition to Nicea. See Ignatius and the Arian controversy.

Andrew Criddle
It's starting to come back to me now. You had posted about a scholar who had made a bold proposal about the genuineness of most of the letters, here:
viewtopic.php?p=47806#p47806
There was a very deep discussion about sources, too. I had completely let it pass out of mind.

I was looking for my G-E comparative files on the Ignatian epistles, to see if they had the kind of passage I was thinking of (turned out to be from To the Tarsians), but they were only done if an epistle had both a middle and a longer Greek recension. I was looking at how the longer recension had used and/or modified the middle recension, or vice versa. Except for one or possibly two, I did not save "working" copies of the "spurious" epistles of Pseudo-Ignatius, at least in Greek. If I were to get into the vocabulary differences and theological allusions, or connections to the Apostolic Constitutions, or the Arian movement, then I would do so.

I had forgot all about Pseudo-Ignatius, although I am aware (now at least) that he is sometimes accused of having interpolated the middle recension letters that have a longer recension version. There is a difference between the two recensions, for sure, but most of the differences are expansions, quotes from NT & Greek OT, and theological statements of which I was not especially interested in at the time. This was around 2013 or something.

Thanks for straightening me out there.

DCH
Giuseppe

Re: Any pre-325 CE writings where Jesus' historicity was doubted?

Post by Giuseppe »

andrewcriddle wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:25 am This suggests that Celsus is in touch with actual Jewish tradition
how do you deal with the Jewish opponents of Ignatius in Philadelphians 8 ? In other terms: do you consider the "archives" as 'Old Testament' or 'public memories' ?

‘‘I have heard certain men say, If I do not find (a certain thing) in the archives, I do not believe in the Gospel, And as I replied to them: It is written [in the Old Testament] they answered: ‘That is the very question.’ But for me the archives are Jesus Christ, His cross, His death, His resurrection, and the faith which comes from Him.”

andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:35 am
andrewcriddle wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:25 am This suggests that Celsus is in touch with actual Jewish tradition
how do you deal with the Jewish opponents of Ignatius in Philadelphians 8 ? In other terms: do you consider the "archives" as 'Old Testament' or 'public memories' ?

‘‘I have heard certain men say, If I do not find (a certain thing) in the archives, I do not believe in the Gospel, And as I replied to them: It is written [in the Old Testament] they answered: ‘That is the very question.’ But for me the archives are Jesus Christ, His cross, His death, His resurrection, and the faith which comes from Him.”

I think the archives are the 'Old Testament'.

Andrew Criddle
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

andrewcriddle wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:41 am I think the archives are the 'Old Testament'.
Are you saying that the dialogue happened along the following lines:

If I do not find (a certain thing) in the Old Testament, I do not believe in the Gospel,

It is written [in the Old Testament]

‘That is the very question.’

But for me the Old Testament are Jesus Christ

The first answer by Ignatius seems to deny abruptly what Ignatius would have just conceded to his opponents as a honest description of the reality reported by them: that they consulted the Old Testament and didn't find (a certain thing that is instead found in the Gospel).
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:10 pm
StephenGoranson wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:54 pm If you think your argument about non-existence is persuasive (which I do not), why did you not present any previous such observer in support of your analysis? Or are you the first to finally see "truth"?
In the case of Ignatius's archives, I have already shared with Richard Carrier all the relevant material (the articles of the dispute between Alfred Loisy and Solomon Reinach). I am expecting his response.
The narrow question of whether Loisy said one thing or another settles nothing relevant to "the case of Ignatius's archives."

Is that why you are focusing on it? Have you already recognized that you have lost the argument otherwise?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Peter Kirby wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:15 pm Is that why you are focusing on it?
On what?
Peter Kirby wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:15 pm Have you already recognized that you have lost the argument otherwise?
you know already the articles of Reinach and you can always comment on them in a more clear and concise manner (it doesn't seem to me that concision is your strong in this case).

I remember that when the opponents say "if I don't find etc", they have already consulted the archives, finding nothing in them. Hence Ignatius can't reply against them that the thing searched by them "is written in the Old Testament" if he has already conceded the fact of a such consultation and its negative result.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

the plural τὰ ἀρχεῖα could be considered, not by some but by almost all theologians, as an equivalent of “the Old Testament,” παλαιὰ διαθήκη

A phrase is introduced here, for the purpose of making certain claims based on a faulty inference, of "an equivalent." This is a phrase to which others need not assent (as I explain in the next paragraph). This proceeds to test what is said allegedly by "almost all theologians" by plugging in the phrase “the Old Testament” for τὰ ἀρχεῖα as though it were "an equivalent" phrase in Greek.

Yet we have seen from Schoedel and Lightfoot that they do not believe that the phrase "τὰ ἀρχεῖα" was an equivalent in Greek to “the Old Testament,” παλαιὰ διαθήκη. Two different Greek phrases that are not equivalent can sometimes have the same referent and sometimes a different referent. So the position is that Ignatius is referring to what his opponents consider to be in τὰ ἀρχεῖα in the first reference to the phrase. Ignatius still has to agree with his opponents that such a reference regarding the Old Testament is appropriate, which is why he would attempt to argue on the basis of scripture with them, only to be rebuffed by them disagreeing with the attempts to make the argument from scripture.

interpretation, which is the current one, would cause him to say: ‘My Old Testament is Jesus Christ, His cross, etc,’ which makes bald nonsense.

As we know, the phrases are not simply equivalent in Greek, so Ignatius can first refer to his opponents mentioning "the archives" in one way, then refer to himself mentioning the "archives" or "the inviolable archives" in another way. The interpretation I have outlined, and which others besides me have explained, already also acknowledges this.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Grant:

Ignatius replied by stating, “It is written” (the usual formula for Old Testament quotations; cf. Eph. 5:3; Magn. 12:1), and they answered, “That is the question.” In other words, they did not accept his Old Testament exegesis, probably the kind indicated in Magnesians 8:2-9:2 and about to set forth here in chapter 9.