Further evidence that Ignatius faced old deniers of the historicity of Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Joseph D. L.

Re: Further evidence that Ignatius faced old deniers of the historicity of Jesus

Post by Joseph D. L. »

DCHindley wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:31 am Hey Joseph,

Glad to see you back!
Cheers DCHindley! It's good to be back.

Overall I will say I have reluctance in trying to determine how people two thousand years ago thought. I'm not saying Giuseppe's reading is wrong in and of itself per say, but that from my narrow perspective he does seem to apply a modernist standard of thinking onto people who might as well be aliens to us.

But I also don't think we can easily dismiss passages just because they're interpolated. It's a can of worms to be sure.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Further evidence that Ignatius faced old deniers of the historicity of Jesus

Post by Peter Kirby »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:21 pmI have not realized your point.
Apparently not.

I don't like the idea of doing this (giving a paraphrase of Ignatius).

But I seem to have been told there's a problem with the complexity of my explanations written above. And I've been read in completely unexpected ways in this thread. So I guess I have to do the thing of rewriting Ignatius to try to communicate what I've already said here. But it feels wrong to do so. And it might not help anyway.

‘I have heard certain men say, If I do not find (a certain thing) in the Old Testament found in the archives, I do not believe in the Gospel, And as I replied to them: It is written [in the Old Testament] they answered: ‘That is the very question.’ But for me the Old Testament is Jesus Christ, His cross, His death, His resurrection, and the faith which comes from Him.”

I actually was going to do something here but for the love of it all how on earth can you still be putting words like this in my mouth ("the Old Testament is Jesus Christ," etc. - I never said that, so who would do what you did here, when this was the subject of several pages already?).
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Yet you have only to answer these two very innocent questions:
Giuseppe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:21 pm
Can you explain me why the answer "it is written" is going to move the opponents to consult again and/or better the same Old Testament by them already consulted and/or remembered?

Can you explain me why the second answer "the Old Testament is Jesus Christ" is not exposed to the accusation of marcionism in an epistle written before Marcion, given that it makes tabula rasa of all the holy scriptures and replace them with Jesus Christ?
The answer "because they never consulted really, they only threathened to do so" is not justified.

The answer "because Ignatius was free from the respect of the Torah" is not justified.

I have to conclude that you are without arguments. I am expecting the Carrier's answer.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Giuseppe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:49 am I have to conclude that you are without arguments.
No, you don't.

I wrote some things that I didn't post. They are not in a complete state. Because it's the middle of the night here.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

It may help useful a reading of the complete article by Reinach (and a bit of praise for Reinach). See the attachment. Only 10 pages.
Attachments
Reinach's thesis on the archives.pdf
Reinach's thesis on the enemies of Ignatius
(499.98 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Peter Kirby wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:01 pm William R. Schoedel suggests that Ignatius had difficulty refuting his opponents solely from the OT (Ignatius of Antioch, p. 209):

... it is still a challenge to the bishop's assertion that he can find what he wants in the OT. Evidently he was having difficulty in establishing his point from that quarter. (5) Consequently, Ignatius appeals to an even higher authority. For him the "archives" are Jesus Christ himself; or (as he rephrases it) the "inviolable archives" are "his cross and death and his resurrection and faith through him."

J. B. Lightfoot writes of its introduction with ἐμοὶ δὲ by Ignatius (The Apostolic Fathers, part II, volume 2, p. 273):

ἐμοὶ δὲ κ.τ.λ.] i.e.. ‘Though I have condescended to argue, though I have accepted their appeal to the Old Testament Scriptures, yet to myself such an appeal is superfluous: Jesus Christ is the archives; He contains in Himself the documentary proofs of His person and mission’: comp. Clem. Recogn. i. 59 ‘non ideo credendum esse Jesu, quia de eo prophetae praedixerint, sed ideo magis credendum esse prophetis, quod vere prophetae sint, quia eis testimonium Christus reddat, etc.’

In Logeion, https://logeion.uchicago.edu/%E1%BC%80% ... E%BF%CE%BD :
ἀρχεῖον, Ion. ἀρχήϊον, τό, neut. of an Adj. ἀρχεῖος, α, ον: (ἀρχή II):—

town-hall, residence, or office of chief magistrates, Hdt. 4.62 (dub.), Lys. 9.9, X. Cyr. 1.2.3, Isoc. 5.48, Arist. Mu. 400b16; τὰ ἀ. καὶ βουλευτήρια D. 10.53, cf. IG 2.475.21, al., OGI 268.18 (Nacrasa, iii B. C.), PGrenf. 2.30, al. (ii B. C.).

2 τὰ ἀ. public records, archives, prob. in SIG 684.7 (Dyme, ii B. C.), cf. D.H. 2.26, PTeb. 397.19 (ii A. D.).

II college or board of magistrates, magistracy, Arist. Pol. 1298b28, 1304a19: but in pl., special boards, ib. 1299a36, 1331a25, Plu. Ages. 33; ὀμόσαι τὰ ἀ. IG 2.332.45, cf. OGI 218.149 (Ilium), etc.; ὅσοι ἀρχείων μετέχουσιν καὶ δικαστηρίων SIG 286.20 (Milet., iv B. C.).

III in the Roman camp, = principia, head-quarters, Plu. Galb. 12.
I can envision several ways to interpret what "Ignatius" is made to say:

I.1 town-hall, residence, or office of chief magistrates. The primary meaning of the word seems to be "the place where governing gets done." Presumably, this also includes the centers where such magistrates (see II.1) worked.

I.2 τὰ ἀ. public records, archives These are the local repositories for tax and property records. Presumably attached or nearby the town-hall, residence, or office of chief magistrates (see I.1). I do not think that this could be some sort of Imperial command center archive in Rome or anything like that at all. It was local, period. Locally, transcripts of trials and other official decrees and decisions such were posted publicly, but whether these were ever sent up the chain of command, except in summary form, is doubtful.

II.1 college or board of magistrates, magistracy I think they could mean a board authorized by an authority (governor, emperor, caesar). Maybe this refers to the bodies that published the "Acta" of Pilate, although I have not myself detected any other reference to or reaction occasioned by these Acta.

If "Pseudo-Ignatius" is really to be dated to the Arian controversies, these were hard on the tail of Constantine's victory over his rival Licenius in 325 CE. The last 10-20 years of this period included publication of what purported to be extracts from Pilate's own personal diary, and even a diary of Jesus himself. It was published by flatterers of co-emperor Maximinus Daia of Asia Minor and Syria, and the latter ordered it to be included in the curriculum of all schoolboy "sophists."

The time frame specified for Jesus was around 19-21 CE, per Eusebius, which was at variance with what is in the NT gospels and Josephus as we have it now (26-36 CE). Eusebius notes this contradicts Josephus as received. Steve Mason has noted that there are anomalies in Antiquities that suggest that the text that covered the 5th year of Pilate's predecessor to the start of Pilates rule was altered.

These Diaries of Pilate and Jesus himself (real or forged) very likely presented Jesus in an entirely unfavorable light from the Roman POV (rebel). I think it possible that Constantine "bought" Christian support in Asia Minor/Syria, by publishing an "updated" edition of the works of Josephus' Judean Antiquities, that made the date of these Acta of Pilate & of Jesus impossible, and allowed the NT implied date to stand uncontested.

That, among other things Constantine worked out with his allies, did result in his ascension to sole rule, abolishing Diocletian's "tetrarchy:" E & W halves of the empire each ruled by an Augustus, with each half subdivided into N & S commands, with the Augustus taking the more important command for himself, assisted by a Caesar for the other command).

Eusebius noted that Josephus' Antiquities did not support the AP dating, "if you accept his testimony." That caveat was an admission that some did not. If Constantine tampered with it to do away with the AP, there may have been a number who had objected to this change, although I doubt that Josephus was read much anymore.

III in the Roman camp, = principia, head-quarters. The closest thing I can think of are the band of wild beasts = the small band of soldiers tasked with delivering Ignatius to Rome for trial). This might be an attempt to depict Ignatius as proselytizing members of the troop. Basically, the soldiers are responding "We only know what our unit commanders tell us. Your sacred literature (will not matter whether NT or Christian OT is meant, although I would favor the former) means nothing to us!"

DCH
Last edited by DCHindley on Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

I'll try not to post in the middle of the night while tired and annoyed.
Giuseppe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:49 am Yet you have only to answer these two very innocent questions:
I will give your genuine questions an answer. In the meanwhile, I will share some of the material that I was working on.

edited to add: if it allows me to extricate myself from the thread, which has used enough of my time already, and where I have presented more of what I think on the subject than anyone could have asked for, with more than sufficient clarity... on second thought, maybe I won't.

Peter Kirby
Site Admin

"Christian-adjacent" Hellenistic Jews with a second divine figure

Post by Peter Kirby »

Reviewing my notes, I can see several ways in which this can be argued to be only plausible, not certain. And I would have to agree with that, at least on the basis of the passage that I cited. The interpretation being offered is plausible but not certain. Yet it may be worth holding in mind for consideration when reading the rest of the text, to see if it can possibly shed light on other interpretations.

(Lightfoot's translation)
5:2 Yea, and we love the prophets also, because they too pointed to the Gospel in their preaching and set their hope on Him and awaited Him; in whom also having faith they were saved in the unity of Jesus Christ, being worthy of all love and admiration as holy men, approved of Jesus Christ and numbered together in the Gospel of our common hope.
6:1 But if any one propound Judaism unto you, hear him not: for it is better to hear Christianity from a man who is circumcised than Judaism from one uncircumcised. But if either the one or the other speak not concerning Jesus Christ, I look on them as tombstones and graves of the dead, whereon are inscribed only the names of men.

This passage supports an observation that this letter is written in opposition to Hellenistic so-called "Judaizers" (note the reference to "Judaism from one uncircumcised"), although I wouldn't use that specific term. The possibilities for such opponents are varied and tantalizing, but unfortunately it isn't really part of the aim of the letter to explain the ideas being propounded by his opponents, which would be interesting to know. What we do learn here is that they "speak not concerning Jesus Christ." Someone might interpret this (beyond what he says) to mean that they do not speak of Jesus Christ correctly. But that's not necessarily true because there is already a lot of known literature where those texts "speak not concerning Jesus Christ," too much to be a coincidence IMO, so we can be morally sure that there were Christian-adjacent ("pre-Christian"?) and/or heterodox Christian persons who did not speak of Jesus. Here is some of that literature, some of which is sometimes categorized as "Jewish" or "pre-Christian" (but which is still relevant towards shedding light on opponents who may "speak not concerning Jesus Christ"). Note that this literature comes from varying perspectives, and some of it is dependent on the Gospels and/or Paul, while other material is not; in at least some cases, it isn't clear whether they would refer to Jesus.

Odes of Solomon
Philo of Alexandria
Eugnostos the Blessed
Testaments of the 12 Patriarchs
The Shepherd of Hermas
Dialogue of the Savior
Gospel of Mary
Second Apocalypse of James
First Apocalypse of James
On the Eighth and Ninth
more here: https://peterkirby.com/a-table-of-chris ... itles.html

Uncircumcised proponents of so-called "Judaism" (in the words of Ignatius) may have had Hellenistic Jewish beliefs that were similar enough to be appealing to those that Ignatius addressed to be tempting or confusing for his "Christians," which brings into question the authority of Ignatius and his doctrine. One advantage that these proponents had claimed (and they would be explicit on this, as found later in the letter) is that they were able to found their ideas on the scripture, calling on the antiquity and authority of those writings.

People with these kinds of beliefs could have arisen independently of the influence of (for example) the Pauline letters and the Gospels, both of which refer extensively to Jesus. Meanwhile, Ignatius stood in that stream of religious ideas and indeed uses the very term "Christianity" for it, calling his opponents advocates of a type of "Judaism." These Christian writings don't have the authority of scripture for Ignatius. Such a point of view, where the Septuagint was scripture, was not an unusual position to take for early Christians, especially in the second century (during which a trend to adopting new, Christian scripture was introduced for the first time).

So far I have said that these people "speak not concerning Jesus Christ," their ideas could sound like "Judaism from one uncircumcised," and their ideas could be similar enough to those held by Ignatius to put them in direct competition with him for converts, so probably not just something that is more similar to the religion of Josephus or of the rabbis of the Talmud. Notice in the phrase "either the one [Christianity from a man who is circumcised] or the other [Judaism from one uncircumcised] speak not concerning Jesus Christ," this would make sense if they both could speak of such things in a context where Jesus Christ could potentially be named or not named. With comparison to the literature that I mentioned, such things would regard just this: a second divinity besides God. Some of the opponents of Ignatius (not addressed here) would refer to Jesus, but at this point Ignatius is dealing with those who would not.

At this point, a minimal conception of the opponents of Ignatius here begins to form. They were not for example a hypothetical group interpreting the letters of Paul as referring to an exclusively celestial/sub-lunar Jesus or interpreting a gospel as referring to a purely allegorical Jesus. They were similar at a basic level to known groups who wouldn't refer to Jesus Christ at all but who would explain a theology of a second divine figure, developing it from the Old Testament. It's not possible to pin down exactly which of the mentioned literature is the best analogy in the particulars, but in the general outline that much is clear enough, as much as anything can be here.

What language we should use to describe them is a good question. Based on the literary analogies already mentioned, some of those would be categorized as "non-Christian" Jewish, while others would be categorized as "Christian" even if the author didn't (and perhaps wouldn't) refer to Jesus Christ. Finding where the dividing line should be isn't easy, given ambiguities both in these categories and in the texts themselves (e.g. perhaps some of them would refer to Jesus and happen not to do so). If we're looking at the analogies where the texts don't show the influence of NT texts such as the letters of Paul and the gospels, generally these are usually termed "non-Christian." From a history of religions perspective, some of them are sometimes called "pre-Christian" in anticipation, to the extent that their ideas may have contributed to some parts of what contributed to Christian religion and/or because their ideas are similar in some ways to Christianity but not influenced by it.

So in summary we would have here "pre-Christian" Hellenistic Jews, who are opposed to Ignatius because what they believe they consider to be based more strictly on the Old Testament. Not only is it based on the Old Testament, but given that they don't refer to Jesus, we can say that it is not based on the letters of Paul, on written Christian gospels, on stories about Jesus, or other similar "Christian" sources. These "pre-Christian" Hellenistic Jews are proudly independent of the "Christianity" of Ignatius. Interaction with Christians like Ignatius may make "Christian-adjacent" (or something else) a more appropriate term, given that there would no longer be complete ignorance of Christians.

As noted, this hypothesis (particularly the "Christian-adjacent" / "a second divine figure" part) can thus far be regarded as plausible but not certain. The hypothesis is being introduced here because it might help with understanding the text. I don't intend to get bogged down in arguments about whether this hypothesis can be argued to be demonstrably true, and I don't rely on this hypothesis as more than a plausibility (i.e., I am not saying this hypothesis settles the long, drawn-out debate-like discourse on the passage that is Giuseppe's subject in this thread, and I am not using it that way).
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

The discussion of the short (shortest) three letter version of the Ignatian letters, which may be the original ones, is continued here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11797
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:02 am
Peter Kirby wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:14 pm

I'm also not clear on exactly which city's archives you think they'd be searching for records of Jesus under your hypothesis.
my scenario assumes gratuitously only one hypothesis:
Thank you for sharing Reinach's article. This is the answer that he provides here:

What archives were Ignatius's adversaries talking about? I see only one admissible answer: the archives of Caesarea.

When I offered the question, you demurred from speaking on it further. I already was not inclined to use Reinach as a guide to your argument (and I haven't thus far) except where you cite him in some way in this thread. I would at least wait for less ambiguous statements on particular points made by Reinach before doing so.

edited to add: it looks like you offered this a few years ago, but I don't know if you still would argue for it.
Giuseppe wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:14 amWhich are the "Archives" of which the enemies of Ignatius are talking, when they claimed that Jesus was not mentioned in these archives and therefore there was strong reason to doubt about the historical existence of Jesus?

These are the archives of Cesarea. This city was the capital of Judea (caput Palaestinae, Tacitus, Hist. 2:79), the residence of the Roman governor. It is there where they could find genuine testimonia about Jesus, if only Jesus was really existed.

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:02 am Hence you may like the fact that my only gratuitous premise is the not-Christian identity of the opponents of Ignatius.
To the extent that this is construed as a debate, then perhaps it is not a strategic move for me to argue that the opponents of Ignatius can plausibly be interpreted as a certain type of non-Christian, i.e. those who were sufficiently close in thought (as Hellenistic Jews with somewhat similar beliefs regarding a second divine figure) that they could be arguing about the identity of the second divine figure. Yet that is currently a hypothesis that I have attempted to suggest from the text (and not just as a "premise").

It competes with other hypotheses, such as the idea that Ignatius is dealing with certain "Christians," and a definitive distinction may be impossible to make on empirical grounds IMO, given that Ignatius doesn't give us their doctrine. Such a distinction would also probe (more than we usually think about) what exactly a "Christian" is anyway. As I said in my post on this hypothesis, I can't exclude other possibilities. It's still possible to interpret Ignatius as addressing some form(s) of "Christians" (whatever is meant by that).

In any case, I don't want to view it as a debate, with all of the attendant rhetoric. And so my argument based on the text for such a plausible interpretation provides support for partial agreement with what you're saying (a plausible "not-Christian" identity in some sense). However, this didn't yet bring me in full agreement with what you've been saying in this thread. I don't think all the other conclusions that you have reached follow. Obviously, part of the problem could be some level of ambiguity on designations like "Christian" and "not-Christian" (and stereotyping the latter).