Is this Ultimate Proof that "Christian" Derives from Chrestos?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Is this Ultimate Proof that "Christian" Derives from Chrestos?

Post by Secret Alias »

As a non-Christian I am struck by my wife's relationship with her Catholic religion. I know what Protestants believe about Christ and Christianity. But my wife simply thinks "Christian" or "to be a Christian" means to "be nice" or "good" or "kind." Where do people see that from "anointing" or "THE anointed one"? Implausible. "A real Christian" = nice guy/gal, good guy/gal, kind guy/gal, generous guy/gal. (I take it as my mission to re-introduce "gal" into the English language). Are people really believing that attempting to link Christianity with kindness, goodness is an atheist plot against the religion? I think even Jews and Muslims are impressed with "true Christians" i.e. nice, kind, benevolent people. That's Christianity at its best. That's the "core message." Mother/St Theresa. If only that were the legacy of Christianity we'd all still aspire toward Christian values of goodness. I've always referenced the admirability of Christian values at the forum. Hard to argue with the golden rule, turn the other cheek, etc. It's when all those doctrines connected with the so-called "Old Testament" that the religion falls off the rails. Not that the Jewish writings didn't have an ethical component. The point is you don't need to reference the mixed bag of prophetic writings with the simplicity of the gospel message.

I think some of the complexity is as follows (just randomly from the top of my head as usual):

1. the Pentateuch, the earliest Hebrew books don't reference the concept of the Messiah.
2. David is something wholly alien to (1). Written likely in the early Hellenistic period, the Jewish writings seem to coincide with growing Jewish nationalism.
3. Philo seems to be the source from which the Christian Savior notion developed. The Alexandrian Jewish/Samaritan culture likely preserved (IMHO) a different notion of the divine names, the relationship of the divine names to "mercy" and "judgment," and a hierarchy in the heavenly household with Yahweh as a lower divinity and the power of mercy, Elohim, as superior. Philo's interpretation of Jacob at Peniel shows this clearly. Jacob formerly held Yahweh to be his divinity, sees a god/power on the ladder and takes Elohim to be his god, according to Philo. This seems to the gist of the Marcionite inheritance from (Alexandrian) "Judaism." Philo consistently makes reference to the idea, developed by Clement and Origen, that fear is an inferior religious experience reserved for "bad men." Yahweh is the god of "bad men." Jacob creates Israel as a society of Elohim, the merciful god, which I think is one of the explanations why the translators of the LXX render yashar (the homiletic origins of "Israel") as Chrestos.
Secret Alias

Re: Is this Ultimate Proof that "Christian" Derives from Chrestos?

Post by Secret Alias »

I discovered this fifteen years ago:

Open up an LXX concordance. Chrestos takes the place of three Hebrew words 'tov' (obvious) yaqar (precious, honored) and yashar (upright). Yashar is the intriguing one because it leads us to something absolutely central in Judaism.

Hebrew Proverbs 2:21 כִּי-יְשָׁרִים יִשְׁכְּנוּ-אD6רֶץ; וּתְמִימִים, יִוָּתְרוּ בָהּ

LXX Proverbs 2:21 χρηστοὶ ἔσονται οἰκήτορες γῆς ἄκακοι δὲ ὑπολειφθήσονται ἐν αὐτῇ ὅτι εὐθεῖς κατασκηνώσουσι γῆν καὶ ὅσιοι ὑπολειφθήσονται ἐν αὐτῇ = good (pl) are those who live in the earth, but the wicked will perish in it, for the righteous are encamped in the earth, and the righteous will perish in it

χρηστοὶ = (symbolically) Israel. As Kittel notes Chrestos "when used of people means 'worthy,' 'decent,' 'honest,' morally 'upright' or 'good." (p 1320)

The Marcionites/early Christianity I think identified the Chrestoi = the new Israel.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:21 am As a non-Christian I am struck by my wife's relationship with her Catholic religion. I know what Protestants believe about Christ and Christianity. But my wife simply thinks "Christian" or "to be a Christian" means to "be nice" or "good" or "kind." Where do people see that from "anointing" or "THE anointed one"? Implausible. "A real Christian" = nice guy/gal, good guy/gal, kind guy/gal, generous guy/gal. (I take it as my mission to re-introduce "gal" into the English language). Are people really believing that attempting to link Christianity with kindness, goodness is an atheist plot against the religion? I think even Jews and Muslims are impressed with "true Christians" i.e. nice, kind, benevolent people. That's Christianity at its best. That's the "core message." Mother/St Theresa. If only that were the legacy of Christianity we'd all still aspire toward Christian values of goodness. I've always referenced the admirability of Christian values at the forum. Hard to argue with the golden rule, turn the other cheek, etc. It's when all those doctrines connected with the so-called "Old Testament" that the religion falls off the rails. Not that the Jewish writings didn't have an ethical component. The point is you don't need to reference the mixed bag of prophetic writings with the simplicity of the gospel message.
Ah, but those very nice, good, kind, turn the other cheek Christians, found it within themselves to drop that atomic bomb on civilians in Hiroshima

That OT God was needed after all....
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

On chrestoi and the identity of "being Christian." Cyril of Alexandria Festal Letter 17:
Since, then, we have been bought at a price, and we are not our own, let us serve the one who has purchased us as best we may, and let us be found superior to carnal passions. Having shaken off the defilement of sin and adorned ourselves with all virtuousness, let us fight the good fight, let us finish the race, let us keep the faith: lightening the labors of the needy, consoling orphans, aiding widows, easing the sufferings of the physically injured, visiting prisoners, and showing goodness (χρηστοὶ) and mutual affection to all. For then it is indeed that we will fast in purity.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Ah, but those very nice, good, kind, turn the other cheek Christians, found it within themselves to drop that atomic bomb on civilians in Hiroshima
How is it I end up defending Christians and Christianity at the forum all the time? They made one hell of a civilization. Just saying. We were lucky to have been alive in this period of history.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Here, Peter, add this to your list. The earliest example I think of Christian self-identity and Chrestos. From 1 Clement:
It is right and holy therefore, men and brethren, rather to obey God than to follow those who, through pride and sedition, have become the leaders of a detestable emulation. For we shall incur no slight injury, but rather great danger, if we rashly yield ourselves to the inclinations of men who aim at exciting strife and tumults, so as to draw us away from what is good. Let us be kind (χρηστευσώμεθα) one to another after the pattern of the tender mercy and benignity of our Creator. For it is written, The Chrestoi (χρηστοὶ) shall inhabit the land, and the guiltless shall be left upon it, but transgressors shall be destroyed from off the face of it. Proverbs 2:21-22 And again [the Scripture] says, I saw the ungodly highly exalted, and lifted up like the cedars of Lebanon: I passed by, and, behold, he was not; and I diligently sought his place, and could not find it. Preserve innocence, and look on equity: for there shall be a remnant to the peaceable man. Let us cleave, therefore, to those who cultivate peace with godliness, and not to those who hypocritically profess to desire it.
I think this is the most important reference of all the discovered references about Christianity because it traces Chrestos to something fundamental i.e. Israel.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I really don't get the hate against Christianity. As religions go it was pretty much the best. I mean, who can argue against the message of kindness towards strangers.
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

SA:
"Is this Ultimate Proof that "Christian" Derives from Chrestos?...."

me, SG:
No.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:01 am Here, Peter, add this to your list. The earliest example I think of Christian self-identity and Chrestos. From 1 Clement:
It is right and holy therefore, men and brethren, rather to obey God than to follow those who, through pride and sedition, have become the leaders of a detestable emulation. For we shall incur no slight injury, but rather great danger, if we rashly yield ourselves to the inclinations of men who aim at exciting strife and tumults, so as to draw us away from what is good. Let us be kind (χρηστευσώμεθα) one to another after the pattern of the tender mercy and benignity of our Creator. For it is written, The Chrestoi (χρηστοὶ) shall inhabit the land, and the guiltless shall be left upon it, but transgressors shall be destroyed from off the face of it. Proverbs 2:21-22 And again [the Scripture] says, I saw the ungodly highly exalted, and lifted up like the cedars of Lebanon: I passed by, and, behold, he was not; and I diligently sought his place, and could not find it. Preserve innocence, and look on equity: for there shall be a remnant to the peaceable man. Let us cleave, therefore, to those who cultivate peace with godliness, and not to those who hypocritically profess to desire it.
I think this is the most important reference of all the discovered references about Christianity because it traces Chrestos to something fundamental i.e. Israel.
Thanks. That is a remarkable reference.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Elsewhere in 1 Clement

1Clem 8:6. Seeing then that He desireth all His beloved to be partakers of repentance, He confirmed it by an act of His almighty will.
1Clem 9:1. Wherefore let us be obedient unto His excellent and glorious will; and presenting ourselves as suppliants of His mercy and goodness (χρηστότητος), let us fall down before Him and betake ourselves unto His compassions, forsaking the vain toil and the strife and the jealousy which leadeth unto death.
1Clem 9:2. Let us fix our eyes on them that ministered perfectly unto His excellent glory.
1Clem 9:3. Let us set before us Enoch, who being found righteous in obedience was translated, and his death was not found.

1Clem 13:1. ... remembering the words of the Lord Jesus which He spake, teaching forbearance and long-suffering:
1Clem 13:2. for thus He spake Have mercy, that ye may receive mercy: forgive, that it may be forgiven to you. As ye do, so shall it be done to you. As ye give, so shall it be given unto you. As ye judge, so shall ye be judged. As ye show kindness (χρηστεύεσθε), so shall kindness be showed (χρηστευθήσεται) unto you. With what measure ye mete, it shall be measured withal to you.

1Clem 14:2. For we shall bring upon us no common harm, but rather great peril, if we surrender ourselves recklessly to the purposes of men who launch out into strife and seditions, so as to estrange us from that which is right.
1Clem 14:3. Let us be good (Χρηστευσώμεθα) one towards another according to the compassion and sweetness of Him that made us. For it is written:
1Clem 14:4. The good (Χρηστοὶ) shall be dwellers in the land, and the innocent shall be left on it but they that transgress shall be destroyed utterly from it.
1Clem 14:5. And again He saith I saw the ungodly lifted up on high and exalted as the cedars of Lebanon. And I passed by, and behold he was not; and sought out his place, and I found it not. Keep innocence and behold uprightness; for there is a remnant for the peaceful man.
1Clem 15:1. Therefore let us cleave unto them that practice peace with godliness, and not unto them that desire peace with dissimulation.

1Clem 60:1. Thou through Thine operations didst make manifest the everlasting fabric of the world. Thou, Lord, didst create the earth. Thou that art faithful throughout all generations, righteous in Thy judgments, marvelous in strength and excellence, Thou that art wise in creating and prudent in establishing that which Thou hast made, that art good (ὁ ἀγαθὸς) in the things which are seen and kind (χρηστὸς) with them that trust on Thee, pitiful and compassionate, forgive us our iniquities and our unrighteousnesses and our transgressions and shortcomings.