Mark's use of Philo

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
billd89

Re: that Primrose Path

Post by billd89 »

What's wrong w/ the Primrose Path? This place is all about the Primrose Path.

maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

billd89 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:52 am What's wrong w/ the Primrose Path? This place is all about the Primrose Path.

https://nosweatshakespeare.com/blog/wha ... rose-path/
billd89

Post by billd89 »

Yebbut, Philo was writing 1,575 years earlier. Precedence.

De Posteritate Caini 31: καὶ τοῦτο μέντοι ποιῶ διὰ φύσεως οἶκτον λογικῆς, ἵνα ἐκ τοῦ τῶν παθῶν ᾅδου πρὸς τὸν ὀλύμπιον χῶρον ἀρετῆς ἀναβιβασθῇ ποδηγετοῦντος ἐμοῦ, ὃς τὴν εἰς οὐρανὸν ἄγουσαν ὁδὸν ἀνατεμὼν λεωφόρον ἱκέτισι ψυχαῖς, ὡς μὴ κάμνοιεν βαδίζουσαι, πάσαις ἀποδέδειχα.

On the Posterity of Cain, 31: And I do this in compassion for the lamentation of Nature’s Reason, so that from Hades’ afflictions it may ascend to the Olympian realm of Virtue, guided on foot by Me, Who have clear-cut the path leading to Heaven as a highway for suppliant souls, so as not to fatigue their trudging: designated for all.

C.D. Yonge, The Works of Philo Judaeus, Vol. 1 [1854], p.293: “And this, too, I do through the pity which exists in rational nature, in order that it may be raised from the hell of the passions to the heavenly region of virtue; I being the guide, who also have made the road which leads to heaven, so that it may be a plain road for suppliant souls, and have shown it to them all, in order that they may not foolishly wander out of the way.”

F.H. Colson, Philo, Vol. 2 [1929], p.345: “I do this in pity for rational nature, that it may be caused to rise out of the nether world of the passions into the upper region of virtue guided step by step by Me, Who have laid down the road that leads to heaven and appointed it as a highway for all suppliant souls, that they might not grow weary as they tread it.”

The A. A.'s "Road of Happy Destiny" "Broad Highway" etc. is for trudging, maryhelena.
billd89 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:20 pmI follow Moriz Friedländer on this point:
Compare the following passages in DVC {4/34-37}, where the Therapeuts praise it: “They have first of all laid down temperance as a foundation for the soul to rest upon, proceeding to build up other virtues on this foundation, as it were. Nobody takes any food or drink before sunset, since they judge philosophising something worthy of the light, but care for the necessities of the body is suitable only to darkness. – They eat nothing luxurious, just bread with salt. Their drink is spring-water. So they satisfy the two tyrants to which nature subjects the human race, hunger and thirst, but they do not flatter them, only give them what is necessary for life. – Avoid all satiety as the most insidious enemy of the soul and body.” – The passage from the first book De somniis {1.124-6} where Philo links Genesis 28:11 belongs here: “And Jacob found a stone of the place to rest his head," notes this passage also makes good sense literally, because it describes the hard and rough life of the ascetics: (1.124) “lovers of temperance… men who have laid down continence, and frugality, and fortitude, as a cornerstone and foundation for the whole of life… being superior to money, and pleasure, and glory, they look down upon meats and drinks, and everything of that sort, beyond what is necessary to ward off hunger, equally valid against cold and heat… for the sake of the acquisition of virtue… unashamed of ever such cheap or shabby clothes…” {1.126: “using a stone for his pillow”} – Cf. Gfrörer, op. cit., p.429.

DVC 34: ἐγκράτειαν δὲ ὥσπερ τινὰ θεμέλιον προκαταβαλλόμενοι τῆς ψυχῆς τὰς ἄλλας ἐποικοδομοῦσιν ἀρετάς.
"Self-mastery, as it were, is the foundation of the Psyche laid in advance upon which the other virtues are laid."
See Building an Arch. In Philo, these allusions read like clues to the ancestry of such mystical Jews, descendants of Builders and Soldiers.

And here we have the source for the Edelsteins' cornerstone, although I read Philo's Greek terms to mean of the Judeo-Egyptian A. A. bios theoretikos that such Therapeutae expressed: "... ashamed of rivalry, in self-mastery, ever moderate, perseverant, even as the soldiers' boots of those who endure ordinary life {or: as the groundwork or foundation of the temple}." (On Ashamed of rivalry: i.e. "Social distinctions, petty rivalries and jealousies—these are laughed out of countenance. " On Living Ordinarily in soldiers' boots: "trudge the Road of Happy Destiny" but also κρηπῖδάς >> κρηπίς, as an abutment to an arch.)
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

billd89 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:26 am
Yebbut, Philo was writing 1,575 years earlier. Precedence.

De Posteritate Caini 31: καὶ τοῦτο μέντοι ποιῶ διὰ φύσεως οἶκτον λογικῆς, ἵνα ἐκ τοῦ τῶν παθῶν ᾅδου πρὸς τὸν ὀλύμπιον χῶρον ἀρετῆς ἀναβιβασθῇ ποδηγετοῦντος ἐμοῦ, ὃς τὴν εἰς οὐρανὸν ἄγουσαν ὁδὸν ἀνατεμὼν λεωφόρον ἱκέτισι ψυχαῖς, ὡς μὴ κάμνοιεν βαδίζουσαι, πάσαις ἀποδέδειχα.

On the Posterity of Cain, 31: And I do this in compassion for the lamentation of Nature’s Reason, so that from Hades’ afflictions it may ascend to the Olympian realm of Virtue, guided on foot by Me, Who have clear-cut the path leading to Heaven as a highway for suppliant souls, so as not to fatigue their trudging: designated for all.

C.D. Yonge, The Works of Philo Judaeus, Vol. 1 [1854], p.293: “And this, too, I do through the pity which exists in rational nature, in order that it may be raised from the hell of the passions to the heavenly region of virtue; I being the guide, who also have made the road which leads to heaven, so that it may be a plain road for suppliant souls, and have shown it to them all, in order that they may not foolishly wander out of the way.”

F.H. Colson, Philo, Vol. 2 [1929], p.345: “I do this in pity for rational nature, that it may be caused to rise out of the nether world of the passions into the upper region of virtue guided step by step by Me, Who have laid down the road that leads to heaven and appointed it as a highway for all suppliant souls, that they might not grow weary as they tread it.”

The A. A.'s "Road of Happy Destiny" "Broad Highway" etc. is for trudging, maryhelena.
billd89 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:20 pmI follow Moriz Friedländer on this point:
Compare the following passages in DVC {4/34-37}, where the Therapeuts praise it: “They have first of all laid down temperance as a foundation for the soul to rest upon, proceeding to build up other virtues on this foundation, as it were. Nobody takes any food or drink before sunset, since they judge philosophising something worthy of the light, but care for the necessities of the body is suitable only to darkness. – They eat nothing luxurious, just bread with salt. Their drink is spring-water. So they satisfy the two tyrants to which nature subjects the human race, hunger and thirst, but they do not flatter them, only give them what is necessary for life. – Avoid all satiety as the most insidious enemy of the soul and body.” – The passage from the first book De somniis {1.124-6} where Philo links Genesis 28:11 belongs here: “And Jacob found a stone of the place to rest his head," notes this passage also makes good sense literally, because it describes the hard and rough life of the ascetics: (1.124) “lovers of temperance… men who have laid down continence, and frugality, and fortitude, as a cornerstone and foundation for the whole of life… being superior to money, and pleasure, and glory, they look down upon meats and drinks, and everything of that sort, beyond what is necessary to ward off hunger, equally valid against cold and heat… for the sake of the acquisition of virtue… unashamed of ever such cheap or shabby clothes…” {1.126: “using a stone for his pillow”} – Cf. Gfrörer, op. cit., p.429.

DVC 34: ἐγκράτειαν δὲ ὥσπερ τινὰ θεμέλιον προκαταβαλλόμενοι τῆς ψυχῆς τὰς ἄλλας ἐποικοδομοῦσιν ἀρετάς.
"Self-mastery, as it were, is the foundation of the Psyche laid in advance upon which the other virtues are laid."
See Building an Arch. In Philo, these allusions read like clues to the ancestry of such mystical Jews, descendants of Builders and Soldiers.

And here we have the source for the Edelsteins' cornerstone, although I read Philo's Greek terms to mean of the Judeo-Egyptian A. A. bios theoretikos that such Therapeutae expressed: "... ashamed of rivalry, in self-mastery, ever moderate, perseverant, even as the soldiers' boots of those who endure ordinary life {or: as the groundwork or foundation of the temple}." (On Ashamed of rivalry: i.e. "Social distinctions, petty rivalries and jealousies—these are laughed out of countenance. " On Living Ordinarily in soldiers' boots: "trudge the Road of Happy Destiny" but also κρηπῖδάς >> κρηπίς, as an abutment to an arch.)
So it's drift along Easy Street or trudge along Struggle Street. Life...in all its glory.... :cheers:

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure." – Winston Churchill

Do not judge me by my success, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again." – Nelson Mandela