Fernando Bermejo-Rubio

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: Fernando Bermejo-Rubio

Post by maryhelena »

StephenGoranson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:48 pm You're stuck with your 100 year fixation--unlike gospel writers, and pretty much everyone else.
Stuck with history...history has momentum...and I'm excited to follow its pathways... ;)

Fixation ? Says the man supporting the historical Jesus assumption... :banghead:
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

Traditionally, Hillel II is said to have regularized the Jewish calendar in 358-359 CE, no longer needing authoritative moon phase sightings. Some Qumran mss used a solar calendar.
Coordinating ancient calendars can be complicated. J.J. Scaliger, in his 1583 book De Emendatione Temporum made an attempt. Some ancient chronologies are still debated.
I would be interested to learn if any ancient writer found either of the two 100-year observations by maryhelena notable or a significant factor in history.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Since the crucifixion of the gospel Jesus figure has been central to this thread - and of course to Bermejo-Rubio's new book, I thought it might be interesting to have a look at a 12 year old, FRDB, thread of mine.....

https://bcharchive.org/2/thearchives/sh ... .html?t=31

Interesting......what one finds when one breaks out of the Tiberius and Pilate time frame...after all that time frame deals with a literary Jesus figure. If it's history we are after then it's necessary to escape the confines of that time frame.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

The thread linked in the previous post suggested that Cleopatra Selene is the Queen, the non-Jewish Queen, mentioned in the Toledot Yeshu. Why the interest? She was the daughter of Marc Antony - the Roman who had Antigonus executed.

Two books of interest:

StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

The proposed name confusion is unreliable as history.
Plus, the names Selene and Helen are spelled even more differently--in Greek.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Interesting, it seems Cleopatra Selene might have been in Antioch in 37 b.c. - the date and place in which her father, Marc Antony, executed the last King and High Priest of the Jews, Antigonus.

There is no explicit evidence as to exactly when the twins were born. They are not mentioned in extant literature until the context of late 37 BC, when Antonius and Kleopatra met the next time.9 By this time the triumvirate had been renewed. Antonius had separated from his latest wife, Octavia, and was setting forth on his Parthian campaign. Kleopatra came to meet him en route, probably at Antioch.10 Antonius acknowledged paternity of Kleo-patra’s twin children, who would have been 3 years old and would never have seen their father, and seems to have named them Alexandros Helios and Kleopatra (VIII) Selene. The primary source, Plutarch, is somewhat ambiguous, depending on whether prosagoreÚsaj here means “named” or “called [them] by [their] names.”11 It is hard to believe that these 3-year-olds had no names, and perhaps it is better to assume that Antonius either renamed them or, more likely, gave them their surnames.12

Footnote
9 Plutarch, Antonius 36: the meeting is securely dated by the contemporary execution of the Hasmonean Antigonos and the activities of C. Sosius in Judaea on behalf of Herod the Great ( Josephus, Jewish War 1.357; Jewish Antiquities 14.487–91). See also Hermann Bengtson, Marcus Marcus Antonius: Triumvir und Herrscher des Orients (Munich: Beck, 1977), p. 295.

Roller, Duane W.. The World of Juba II and Kleopatra Selene: Royal Scholarship on Rome's African Frontier (Routledge Classical Monographs) (pp. 77-78). Taylor and Francis. Kindle Edition.

maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

robert j

Post by robert j »

With the image of this coin on the left in mind, and if she was an actress, what CNN anchor has the perfect look to play Cleopatra in a film?
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

robert j wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:21 am With the image of this coin on the left in mind, and if she was an actress, what CNN anchor has the perfect look to play Cleopatra in a film?
Probably Erin Burnett, by far the sharpest pencil there, female or male.*

DCH

*Before starting on CNN's Erin Burnett OutFront (2011–present), she had worked her way up from a market analyst at Bloomberg on the Markets (2003–05), Street Signs (2006–11) & Squawk on the Street (2005–11). I recall she was kind of conservative in her positions on market conditions.

However, she has also done about a dozen documentaries - often overseas - about modern Middle East politics and conflicts, showing the nitty gritty reality of things, between 2008 & 2010, without missing a beat. I think her goal was to give exposure to the human toll that war and hardline politics bring to bear. Did she hope her contributions would influence decision makers all around? I'd say "yes." Did the documentaries actually influence decision makers? I'd say "yes."

I would place her political commentary on Erin Burnett OutFront a bit to the liberal end of the spectrum. She seems to have grown tired of "politics as usual," increasing the introduction of her own considered opinions when decision makers seem to be tuning out reality and doing stupid things that invite more trouble.

If anyone could pull off the portrayal of Cleopatra as a politically and financially savvy - and forceful - Egyptian female monarch, she could.

Thanks to Wikipedia for the details on her career.
robert j

Post by robert j »

DCHindley wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:30 pm
robert j wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:21 am With the image of this coin on the left in mind, and if she was an actress, what CNN anchor has the perfect look to play Cleopatra in a film?
Probably Erin Burnett, by far the sharpest pencil there, female or male.*

If anyone could pull off the portrayal of Cleopatra as a politically and financially savvy - and forceful - Egyptian female monarch, she could.
I really wasn’t expecting a written response, but for “the perfect look” for the side-view image on the coin, I think Kaitlan Collins is a clear winner.

Probably enough on my way off-topic query.