Another Argument for the Originality of the Alexandrian Tradition: Clement of Alexandria

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Another Argument for the Originality of the Alexandrian Tradition: Clement of Alexandria

Post by Secret Alias »

Clement is sophisticated and erudite. He likely wasn't born in Alexandria. Why would he have settled in Alexandria to head a backwater tradition which was subordinate to Rome? I don't get intelligent people subordinating themselves to stupid people. Haven't seen it happen very often in my life. Smart people want to be led by even smarter people. Doesn't fit with Clement. Clement went to Alexandria because he thought the Alexandrian tradition towered over the other sees including Rome. Whether or not he says it openly is another matter. When he speaks about the "rule of faith" or whatever he's talking about the rules of the Alexandrian tradition. I don't get this assumption that everyone went along with Roman authority. Clement went to Alexandria because he thought it was the best.