It is impossible to escape from Marcionite priority

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: It is impossible to escape from Marcionite priority

Post by MrMacSon »

This is worth noting:
mbuckley3 wrote:
The written source would be Vinzent's 2014 book, 'Marcion and the Dating of the Synoptic Gospels' pp.255 ff.

The quote is : "... as soon as we know of verses which are attested for in Marcion, the Synoptics not only start getting closer, but they are often literally identical - following Marcion word by word, sometimes only with minimal, theological corrections. As soon as Marcion's texts end, however, our Synoptics begin to diverge again" (p.263).

While several examples are laid out here, AFAIK he has not followed it up with a more comprehensive demonstration.
Regarding -
mbuckley3 wrote:
And of course "word by word" is a bit disingenuous, it depends on which reconstruction you are using, as well as which version of an NT text. These days MV uses Klinghardt as his basic guide, but with numerous variations; as he sees it, Klinghardt is reconstructing the ur-gospel appropriated by Marcion, while he is more interested in the published-by-Marcion "copy that Tertullian had access to" [sic !]. And if you want to source that quote, treat yourself to MV's forty-page article, 'Methodological Assumptions in the Reconstruction of Marcion's Gospel : The Example of the Lord's Prayer'.......

- I think we will see more standardization of 'what-Marcion's-gospel-might-have been' with the work of Mark Bilby and Jason BeDuhn (and Vinzent and Klindhardt may well align with their work)
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

mbuckley3 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:18 pm The written source would be Vinzent's 2014 book, 'Marcion and the Dating of the Synoptic Gospels' pp.255 ff.
Thank you kindly mbuckley3! I knew that I had gotten it from somewhere.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

It may just be my perception playing tricks on me, but within Jack Bull's recent and ongoing Patristica video series (as seen on YouTube) Marcus Vinzent seems to not be as confidently forward and direct in confirming Marcion's Euangelion as having preceded and initiated the Synoptics. I'm detecting vibes of his hedging therein. Is anyone else observing this?
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

lsayre wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:50 am It may just be my perception playing tricks on me, but within Jack Bull's recent and ongoing Patristica video series (as seen on YouTube) Marcus Vinzent seems to not be as confidently forward and direct in confirming Marcion's Euangelion as having preceded and initiated the Synoptics. I'm detecting vibes of his hedging therein. Is anyone else observing this?
I haven't noticed it myself. Might just be normal scholarly reticent behavior to not come across as too cocksure though.