The women watching at the crucifixion of Jesus in Mark 15:40-41

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Paul the Uncertain

Re: The women watching at the crucifixion of Jesus in Mark 15:40-41

Post by Paul the Uncertain »

By the way, the story of women anointing a body isn't too Jewish. In their society women wouldn't be permitted to touch a male body there were men for this job. I heard this from a Rabbi on youtube heh. No-one seems too bothered about this in the gospels.
But in the Mark story universe, there aren't men for this job. There is also a sense that from the perspective of the sub-society that is Mark's Jesus's entourage, scripture is interpreted so as to favor the accomplishment of needed tasks over compliance with rules or customs. Thus, Jesus recalls David appropriating the showbread in the face of need, counsels limiting corban however much is needed to ensure one's parents' well-being, justifies healing on the sabbath, and contrary to practice if not rule, touches a leper. And of course the terms and conditions of being accepted as a disciple of Jesus include the utter abandonmant of conventional responsibilities.

Now, whether Mark is or isn't burdened with historical accuracy is discussable. However, in context, there is nothing to be too bothered about in this particular thing, more so than all the other reasons Jesus provides for the respectable to look askance on his teaching and agitation.
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

Paul the Uncertain wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:05 am
By the way, the story of women anointing a body isn't too Jewish. In their society women wouldn't be permitted to touch a male body there were men for this job. I heard this from a Rabbi on youtube heh. No-one seems too bothered about this in the gospels.
But in the Mark story universe, there aren't men for this job. There is also a sense that from the perspective of the sub-society that is Mark's Jesus's entourage, scripture is interpreted so as to favor the accomplishment of needed tasks over compliance with rules or customs. Thus, Jesus recalls David appropriating the showbread in the face of need, counsels limiting corban however much is needed to ensure one's parents' well-being, justifies healing on the sabbath, and contrary to practice if not rule, touches a leper. And of course the terms and conditions of being accepted as a disciple of Jesus include the utter abandonmant of conventional responsibilities.

Now, whether Mark is or isn't burdened with historical accuracy is discussable. However, in context, there is nothing to be too bothered about in this particular thing, more so than all the other reasons Jesus provides for the respectable to look askance on his teaching and agitation.
that is very insightful i quite agree i suppose it's one final one to add to the list!
there's also the woman with an issue of blood Jesus isn't fussed about touching him
the law is such a hot topic its funny how Mark is just as easy going as Jesus appears to be, there seems no big controversy among his readership?
is this the difference between breaking the law and the yoke of the pharisees maybe?
later a marcion might read into it that its his mission to annul the whole law or something like that
RandyHelzerman

Post by RandyHelzerman »

Can you give some reference for women not preparing bodies? E.g. in Islamic societies that’s the custom so it doesn’t seem to me to be that out there.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

RandyHelzerman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:30 am Can you give some reference for women not preparing bodies? E.g. in Islamic societies that’s the custom so it doesn’t seem to me to be that out there.
See https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BRB ... ad&f=false

Andrew Criddle
RandyHelzerman

Post by RandyHelzerman »

andrewcriddle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:01 am See https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BRB ... ad&f=false
Andrew Criddle
Thanks, but that seems to be a reference where Jewish women *do* prepare bodies for burial? Thanks, because I was skeptical of the claim on the table, but the claim on the table is that Jewish women would be *prohibited* from preparing a body for burial?
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

RandyHelzerman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:09 am
andrewcriddle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:01 am See https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BRB ... ad&f=false
Andrew Criddle
Thanks, but that seems to be a reference where Jewish women *do* prepare bodies for burial? Thanks, because I was skeptical of the claim on the table, but the claim on the table is that Jewish women would be *prohibited* from preparing a body for burial?
it was in one of Rabbi Tovia Singer's video's. He's prolific i couldn't possibly tell you which one or what he was basing it on he might have not said 'prohibited' i just remember him vehemently arguing it wouldn't be acceptable. Not sure it matters hugely though? To me it's like, well it could mean something or nothing. It's not a normal situation so it might be expected, or the author didn't know about it, what Paul said really brought out a wider context of Mark I hadn't appreciated before though, this whole thread has been quite interesting
nightshadetwine

Post by nightshadetwine »

davidmartin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:50 pm the description mystery cult context of Christianity might apply to the type found in the epistles its not clear if its the earliest type then if the role of the women is still there its as messengers of it continuing after loss of the leader, viz they were the true believers. it doesn't matter if later the story got adapted and looks more mystery cult-ish. question is, is there is hidden layer. i see one, i understand why a lot don't it's a matter of opinion i guess
I think the mystery cult influence on these stories about Jesus happened at least by the time of Paul's letters. So I think the Gospels are likely also influenced by mystery cults. I don't think the women finding the empty tomb goes back to any historical event. There are two reasons why Mark came up with this story:

1) As I already mentioned, the mourning women are always closely related to the death and resurrection of the savior deity in mystery cults

2) Mark wants to tell a missing body story. The women in the story are there to find the tomb empty. Stories of bodies going missing were told to show that the person was translated/raised to heaven. These were pretty common in Greco-Roman culture.

Greek Resurrection Beliefs and the Success of Christianity (Palgrave Macmillan,2009), Dag Øistein Endsjø:
As we have seen, such examples of missing bodies indicating some form of physical immortalization were legion. If he had a Hellenistic audience in mind, Mark really could have certain expectations as to what they would believe. A body missing in some miraculous way represented in itself a powerful topos in the Hellenistic world, an indication that the body could have been physically immortalized. Comparing the various gospels, Eugene Boring, Klaus Berger, and Carsten Colpe point to possible parallels in the physical disappearance and subsequent immortalization of Heracles, Romulus, and Aristeas. As Adela Yarbro Collins argues, “The narrative pattern according to which Jesus died, was buried, and then translated to heaven was a culturally defined way for an author living in the first century to narrate the resurrection of Jesus.” As we have already witnessed, Heracles, Achilles, and Memnon all disappeared from their funeral pyres as they were made immortal, while the dead body of Alcmene was miraculously replaced by a large stone. The historical incidents of Aristeas of Proconnesus, Cleomedes of Astypalaea, Romulus, and perhaps also King Croesus and his daughters demonstrate how beliefs in physical immortality were still connected with a missing body. The empty tomb really was crucial to this narrative. The absence of a body had for centuries been something indicating physical immortalization. If there were any grave of Jesus, it had to be empty. For if the tomb was not empty, there could be no question of physical continuity, and thus it would be impossible to assume that any resurrection had taken place at all according to Greek assumptions.
The Origins of Early Christian Literature: Contextualizing the New Testament within Greco-Roman Literary Culture (Cambridge University Press, 2021), Robyn Faith Walsh:
The “empty tomb” or supernaturally missing corpse, for instance, is quite intelligible as a “convention in Hellenistic and Roman narrative” acknowledged by ancient writers and critics. Plutarch discusses the motif at length, citing the missing Alcmene, Aristeas of Proconnesus, Cleomedes the Astypalaean, and Romulus, calling it an established mythic tale among writers and one that “all the Greeks tell” (Vit. Rom. 28.4). Indeed, Plutarch’s subsequent analysis of Romulus’ missing corpse, and its associated motif, elicits numerous points of contact with literary and popular imagination, including the gospels. From cataclysms and darkness to an ascension and/or deification, recognition of divine status as a “son of god,” brilliant or shining manifestations, awe and fear over the events, a commission to report what transpired, and eyewitnesses, the formulaic elements of these stories were well established.

To Plutarch’s exhaustive list of missing mortals, Miller compiles no fewer than twenty-nine additional examples throughout Hellenistic and Roman literature of figures who have “disappeared and were worshipped as a ... god,” many of which have more than one known literary reference. Of this list he does not cite examples from the novels, which include embellishments and details also echoed in the gospel accounts, such as the displaced stone at the grave’s entrance...

The remarkable ubiquity of this motif and, evidently, the frequency with which it was recognized in popular imagination demonstrates that, while the bodily ascension of Moses or Elijah may have been one point of reference for Jesus’ empty tomb, the topos was also well established elsewhere in Greek and Roman literature. Later church fathers like Justin Martyr, Origen, Tertullian, Minucius Felix, Arnobius, and competitors like Celsus all acknowledged that “the early Christians patterned Jesus’ resurrection tale after the Roman imperial and Greek heroic, mythographic tradition.” The empty tomb trope in particular was a compelling and dramatic touchstone for communicating the “translation fable” of the mortal who becomes a hero-sage or god. Notable “missing” figures like Romulus, Alexander the Great, Castor and Pollux, Herakles, or Asclepius helped to make the empty tomb palatable for readers of the gospels – a clear illustration of Jesus’ new supernatural status. In his work on Paul and myth-making, Stowers notes that myths like that of Herakles, his missing body, and conquering of death would have helped contextualize Paul’s message about the new, pneumatic body of Christ. For creative writers, this kind of association also generated an opportunity for novel approaches to an established topos. The rolled-away stone from the tomb in the gospels and Chariton’s novel heighten mystery and expectation. The missing body illustrates that the absent corpse is now a god or godlike with or without explicit explanation.
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

nightshadetwine wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:50 pm What I think is that any historical mourning women are being reinterpreted as mourning women from mystery and hero cults in Mark's Gospel. So it's not necessarily that they're directly based on Isis, Nephthys, Demeter, etc. but that the author of Mark is using that theme for his "mystery" story that he's telling about Jesus's death and resurrection. I personally don't think we can know what actually happened historically. Obviously Jesus likely had women followers who also mourned for him when he died but in the Gospels, these women are being put in the role of the mourning women/goddesses from mystery cults who mourn the death of a deity. Jesus is raised or reborn out of the tomb/womb/underworld to heaven like the sun god in Egyptian texts. The women are the ones who find the tomb empty because it's always the women who are the ones who take care of the body/corpse of the dying deity and the tomb is giving birth to the reborn Jesus like the Egyptian mother goddess. In mystery cults the initiate's second birth after death is through the womb of the goddess. So even though the authors of the Gospels are influenced by mystery cult stories, it doesn't mean their story has to be exactly the same. This "mystery cult story" is being brought into a Jewish context.
Thank you for making it clear that you think Mark is writing a "mystery cult story".

I thought that the idea of resurrection in Judaism arose because of the influence of Iranian and Mesopotamian religious thought as it was powers from these areas which first conquered the Jewish kingdoms.
davidmartin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:08 pm
Michael BG wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:37 pm I can’t see Audlin’s meaning of braided hair being linked at all to the idea of tower.
The Greek ending is according to Strong feminine.
In the five examples I give from Audlin I can’t see any reference to an 'uta' ending in the Aramaic.
Migdal's also a raised bed of spices in the song of songs (with ITA ending).
Please can you provide a link to this? Are you talking about in Hebrew rather than Aramaic?
davidmartin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:08 pm On the root Gadel gets to the hair
2054) ldc (גדל GDL) AC: Magnify CO: Rope AB: Magnificent: A cord is made by twisting fibers together, the larger and more numerous the fibers, the stronger the cord will be.
Why is this Hebrew word relevant to the discussion of magdala and mgdlytā in Aramaic?
davidmartin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:08 pm Aramaic has the same Hebrew words according to the lexicons, MGDL - Tower/bulwark/fortress
and GDL to plait/weave/twist the hair a crown/nest/rope
there's also a GDLUTA derivative if the ending is thought to be significant. Its not in the lexicon but would just change the meaning slightly and make it feminine as it does in Greek and English when we add 'ess'. I meant that it's not just a Greek ending which the Audlin quote might have given that impression of the ending being a Greek thing only
Are you suggesting that your meanings from Hebrew words is a better explanation of where the Greek ‘Magdalene’ came from?
andrewcriddle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:01 am
RandyHelzerman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:30 am Can you give some reference for women not preparing bodies? E.g. in Islamic societies that’s the custom so it doesn’t seem to me to be that out there.
See https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BRB ... ad&f=false

Andrew Criddle
From the page you provide a link to:
Secondly, women were predominantly responsible for the anointing, since anointing the body of the decreased formed a part of the mourning tradition, which was performed chiefly by women.
nightshadetwine wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:02 pm I don't think the women finding the empty tomb goes back to any historical event.

Greek Resurrection Beliefs and the Success of Christianity (Palgrave Macmillan,2009), Dag Øistein Endsjø:
… As Adela Yarbro Collins argues, “The narrative pattern according to which Jesus died, was buried, and then translated to heaven was a culturally defined way for an author living in the first century to narrate the resurrection of Jesus.” … The empty tomb really was crucial to this narrative. The absence of a body had for centuries been something indicating physical immortalization. If there were any grave of Jesus, it had to be empty. For if the tomb was not empty, there could be no question of physical continuity, and thus it would be impossible to assume that any resurrection had taken place at all according to Greek assumptions.
It seems that there was an idea that resurrection happened in heaven (see 1 Cor 15:40-44). However, when people wrote accounts of seeing angels over time angels were seen and acted as physical, so it becomes natural to portray a celestial body (angels and a resurrected Jesus) as actually being physical. Once this is being done an empty tomb is required.

However, this thread is not about the empty tomb and mourning women (I have already stated Crossan’s view that the women in Mk 15:47 and 16:1ff are Markan redaction) it is about discussing Mk 15:40-41 and the three women.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

nightshadetwine wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:02 pm 1) As I already mentioned, the mourning women are always closely related to the death and resurrection of the savior deity in mystery cults

2) Mark wants to tell a missing body story. The women in the story are there to find the tomb empty. Stories of bodies going missing were told to show that the person was translated/raised to heaven. These were pretty common in Greco-Roman culture.
Oh men! I should criticize you harshly for squeezing this story into schemes that have little to do with it and thereby overlooking the essential point.

Until this moment, GMark was a story in which the characters following Jesus were men. The role of the unnamed women was limited to the home and a passive role (mother-in-law of Peter). Women sought help from Jesus but were not active disciples. This was particularly noticeable at the feeding of the 5.000 in GMark 6:44, where only men are said to have been present.

Now the male hero of the story is dead. His male companions have all denied him and have all fled. The movement is dead. Everything is over.

But in a dramatic and truly surprising twist of the story, we as readers learn that there are a large number of female followers. From a flashback we learn that these women followed Jesus in Galilee and went with him to Jerusalem. These women were present at his deeds and heard his teachings. These women know something.

Mark, the master of dispense, plays his final card as the author of this story. With the appearance of these women within the story, new hope arises: OK, the men have completely failed, but perhaps these women can bring the story to some sort of conciliatory end. Our entire hope as readers that this story could have a happy end now rests on these women.
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

Michael BG wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:37 pm Migdal's also a raised bed of spices in the song of songs (with ITA ending).
Please can you provide a link to this? Are you talking about in Hebrew rather than Aramaic?
Why is this Hebrew word relevant to the discussion of magdala and mgdlytā in Aramaic?
This appears once in the song of songs, raised garden so kind of tall i guess
Hebrew yes for raised bed. Hebrew and Aramaic are related, many shared words they overlap. MGDL and GDL are in both. They shouldn't be treated as totally different languages
Michael BG wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:37 pm Are you suggesting that your meanings from Hebrew words is a better explanation of where the Greek ‘Magdalene’ came from?
Yes, because the other epithets for disciples are Aramaic/Hebrew. Lebben, Cephas, Thomas there's probably others this just from memory
I mean, why not the story is set where they'd have spoke these languages
Why would they have Aramaic derived names for other disciples then go to Greek for Mary?

From what's been said about Mark. I do agree it's a masterful telling the question is, is it telling from scratch or taking other sources and re-telling?
I'm a Lukan priority proponent that Mark is summarising some early *ev gospel which is unclear how it went exactly
In other words the sources are lost which would make it convincing there were historical origins. Murky!