Meaning of Nazareth?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
rgprice

Meaning of Nazareth?

Post by rgprice »

The Gospel of Mark mentions Nazareth several times. It is certainly possible that Nazareth was a town in Galilee or was intended to be understood as a town in Galilee. That is definitely option #1.

In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan.

and he cried out, “What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God.”

When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”

When she saw Peter warming himself, she stared at him and said, “You also were with Jesus, the man from Nazareth.”

But he said to them, “Do not be alarmed; you are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has been raised;

However, one option is that the word "of Galilee" was added to Mark 1:9, and that Nazareth did not originally imply a town in Galilee.

Why do the demons in Mark 1:24 identify Jesus as being "of Nazareth"? Is there something more special about Nazareth? Why would he have come "from Nazareth" to destroy them?

Is there any possibility that "Nazareth" is some Gnostic name for the Highest Heaven? I wonder because it looks similar to the types of names we find in the NHL. But by the same token, there are no Gnostic texts that I know of that make any special claims about Nazareth either, so it may be unlikely.
StephenGoranson

Re: Meaning of Nazareth?

Post by StephenGoranson »

I recommend the Anchor Bible Dictionary article on Nazareth.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

rgprice wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:20 am
Why do the demons in Mark 1:24 identify Jesus as being "of Nazareth"?
If we follow strictly the identity of Mark as a faithful paulinist, then the my simple answer is: the demons didn't realize who Jesus was.

If they said that Jesus was a Nazarene, then the exact contrary was true for a Paulinist: Jesus was not from Nazareth.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

I've posted on a proposed etymology a few times in the distance past

eg. there have been indication of an etymology and evolution of the terminologies crudely thus:

ne.tser (etc., a branch; a descendant) —> nazir —> Nazarite —> Nazarene/.(etc.) —> Natzeret

See
  1. viewtopic.php?p=30311#p30311,
  2. viewtopic.php?p=41965#p41965,
  3. viewtopic.php?p=91015#p91015 (and viewtopic.php?p=91048#p91048),
  4. viewtopic.php?p=77060#p77060, and
  5. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2129
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

The interesting thing in Mark is that other than Mark v1:9 it is not clear that Nazareth is a town.

However, Nazareth in Mark doesn't appear to be a late addition. Nazareth appears to be part of the initial layer of the writing. There is reason to think that "of Galilee" in v1:9 may be a later addition by an editor, because it is not paralleled in the ending of Mark, "6 But he said to them, “Do not be alarmed; you are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified."

Note the parallels:
Ending:
5 As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed. 6 But he said to them, “Do not be alarmed; you are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here. Look, there is the place they laid him. 7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him, just as he told you.” 8 So they went out and fled from the tomb, for terror and amazement had seized them, and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid.

Beginning:
6 Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. 7 He proclaimed, “The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie the strap of his sandals. 8 I have baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

9 In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove upon him. 11 And a voice came from the heavens, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.”

12 And the Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. 13 He was in the wilderness forty days, tested by Satan, and he was with the wild beasts, and the angels waited on him.

14 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the good news of God 15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.”

The many parallels between the beginning and ending suggest that the beginning and ending are intended to mirror one another. Yet, the ending only has the one mention of Galilee, while the beginning has two.

This, along with the fact that Mark v1:14 reads as if Jesus is coming to Galilee for the first time, suggests that Mark v1:9 originally read just, "In those days Jesus came from Nazareth", not "Nazareth of Galilee".

So again, this begs the question, if Nazareth wasn't "Nazareth of Galilee", then what was it?
StephenGoranson

MrMacSon, above, in part:
"ne.tser (etc., a branch; a descendant) —> nazir —> Nazarite —> Nazarene/.(etc.) —> Natzeret"

and that post's first link includes:
"netser is transliterated to Nazir"

That is false. Those are two different words, and "transliterated" means reproduced into a different alphabet, but these both use the same alphabet.
dbz

Post by dbz »

rgprice wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:20 am Is there any possibility that "Nazareth" is some Gnostic name for the Highest Heaven? I wonder because it looks similar to the types of names we find in the NHL.
  • Given that Paul and other sects were contra temple cult and plumped for the perfection of the imperfect human coil.
The Nazarene title or imagery appears only five times in the Gospel of Mark. In Mk 1.9 the term is used to describe Jesus’ place of origin. In 1.24 Jesus is addressed as the Nazarene by an unclean spirit. Bartimaeus hears in 10.47 that Jesus the Nazarene is passing by. The servant of the high priest accuses Peter of association with the Nazarene (14.67). The messenger at the tomb refers to Jesus as the Nazarene (16.6).
--Broadhead, Edwin K. (1999). Naming Jesus: Titular Christology in the Gospel of Mark. Bloomsbury Publishing. p. 32. ISBN 978-0-567-46408-8.
Every mention of "the Nazarene" may perhaps occur in relationship to Middle Platonism's theory of the One (monad god) and the hierarchy of all other beings possibly having a deficit of its natural potential, thus being the definition of evil. Cf Plotinus on evil.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

RGP --

I posted on this for you a few days ago...

https://biblehub.com/hebrew/5341.htm

Natsar => Naw-tsar => lit. "Guard" (Ta'nit)

So: "Nawt-sar-eth" is "Guard-Town" which is an Invented Word-Play to let you know that the "Jesus" Character was created around a Priest of the Mishmarot Priesthood. It turns out that the Galilean town of "Jabnit" (Settlement for "Immer" (Elizur, Leibner)), a few klix from Meiron (Settlement for "Jehoiarib"), fits the bill nicely.
More on request.

CW
StephenGoranson

CW, these are separate locations of the 24 mishmarot, but their relevance here is not clear.
dbz

Post by dbz »

[T]his Gospel is effectively bringing the many titles attributed to Jesus beneath the one overarching claim to being the Son of God (1:24). Mark speaks of Son of Man (2:10, 28), the Holy One of God (1:24), Teacher (4:35). The title Son of God Most High had already been incorporated into an earlier exorcism story (5:7). In the second part of the Gospel “Mark” sees Jesus’ activity in Jerusalem as primarily a Son of David activity. Hence this title introduces Jesus in this section. But the ambiguity that is also conveyed with this title informs us that for Mark this title is also something far greater than its erstwhile literal meaning and indicates the messianic and saviour Son of God.

There are also shadows of a restoration of the lame, and even of raising the dead, with the way Bartimaeus is described as “rising” after Jesus commanded him to “arise”. The word used is transliterated as anistemi and is elsewhere used of the rising of the dead. The casting off of his beggar’s garment, when read alongside the several other images in Mark of garments being discarded (and claimed), makes it hard to avoid seeing here a metaphor of a disciple forsaking his earthly life to follow Jesus in a new spiritual life. Nakedness can be a sign of shame, but leaving one’s garments is a sign of losing one’s life. Thus compare the young man who fled naked in Gethsemane yet presumably reappears at the end in the tomb clothed in a white robe; Jesus on the cross has his garments stripped off and lying at the foot of his cross.

I am sure I will soon notice I have forgotten to include much, here. In one of the comments (I think by Josesph Wallack) in my previous related post (part 1) similar expositions of this passage were presented.
--Godfrey, Neil (9 February 2011). "Bartimaeus continued: If the disciples be fictional, what be their leader?". Vridar.
  • Per the Platonism_2.0 of Philo, the mother of the "Son of God" was Sophia
Plato’s Timaeus includes a lot of discussion about eyesight and its ability to lead us through observation of those mysterious moving lights seen above the world to come to know the great Eternal Truths of God . . . the question of any direct or indirect relationship between what we read by Philo and in the Gospel of Mark. I had not till now fully appreciated the extent of the influence of the Timaeus apparently even in the time of the Gospel’s composition. I would like to track down the evidence on which Runia’s Philo of Alexandria and the Timaeus.
--Godfrey, Neil (25 July 2012). "Mark's (Unclean) Bartimaeus and Plato's (Honoured) Timaeus". Vridar.
Abstract
This paper is an inquiry into Philo's ideas about human perfection: for Philo, what qualities and/or activities constitute a 'perfect' life, and how are we to live our lives to achieve it? Philo's model of ideal perfection, I argue, is exemplified by the life of Moses. Moses, however, is so perfect that he is inimitable; ordinary human beings must, rather, follow the paths to perfection exemplified by the three biblical patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Each heuristically represents a distinct path to perfection: Abraham, the first philosopher, exemplifies a life of contemplation, teaching, and inquiry; Isaac exemplifies natural perfection; and Jacob a life made perfect through righteous action. For Philo, the Essenes and the Therapeutae further represent historical communities that exemplify the pursuit of human perfection, the Essenes in the path of Jacob and the Therapeutae in that of Abraham.
--Satlow, M. L. (2008). PHILO ON HUMAN PERFECTION. The Journal of Theological Studies, 59(2), 500–519.
  • And the Nazarenes in that of Isaac?
Although Christians today (apart from some sects and denominations) don't commonly refer to themselves as Nazarenes, followers of Jesus Christ are still referred to as Notzrim in modern Hebrew, Nasrani in Syriac, and Nasrani in Arabic.
"The amazing name Nazarene: meaning and etymology". Abarim Publications.