The opening of Mark really Marcion's?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
rgprice

Re: The opening of Mark really Marcion's?

Post by rgprice »

andrewcriddle wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:48 am
RandyHelzerman wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:01 am
rgprice wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:30 am One does have to be very careful with this type of speculation, for sure. But there are reasons to justify it. Are the justifications good enough?
I have to admit, its a pretty good case. *Something* has to explain the lack of John's baptizing Jesus in Marcion's Evangelion, and this is as good of a theory as I've ever heard.
The most obvious explanation for the omission of the baptism of Jesus by John in Marcion's Gospel is IMO that Marcion found it theologically unacceptable.

Andrew Criddle
But where did Marcion's theology come from?

I'd like to hear what you have to say about the whole case I've put forward.

Proposition:
The canonical opening of the Gospel of Mark has been modified from the original form of the narrative. The original form of the narrative would have read something more like:

The beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ.

2 As it is written in the prophet Isaiah,

“See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way,
3 the voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
‘Prepare the way of the Lord;
make his paths straight,’ ”

4 so John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5 And the whole Judean region and all the people of Jerusalem were going out to him and were baptized by him in the River Jordan, confessing their sins. 6 Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. 7 He proclaimed, “The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie the strap of his sandals. 8 I have baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

9 In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove upon him.

In those days Jesus came down from heaven. As John was speaking he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove. 11 And a voice came from the heavens, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.” The Spirit asked John, "Do you know who I am?" "You are the Holy one of God who has been sent from heaven." But the Spirit did not want his identity to be revealed yet.

12 And the Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. 13 He was in the wilderness forty days, tested by Satan, and he was with the wild beasts, and the angels waited on him. John testified about all he had seen to the priests and the scribes. They feared what John had to say, so they had him arrested.

14 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the good news of God 15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.”

This proposition requires a lot of justification. I've arrived at this from cross referencing material across Mark, John, Luke, the Ascension of Isaiah and testimony about the claims of Marcion and other so-called heretical Christians.

Irenaeus and other hierologists would have us believe that there were Christians who plainly believed that the Jesus of the Gospel stories was a Spirit who had come from heaven. Yet, Irenaeus and other hierologists also claim that such beliefs are unfounded and a corruption of the plain truth that can be read in their Gospels. These so-called docetic beliefs are entirely unfounded or the result of people being misled by Satan.

My view has long been that such beliefs need to be explained. They had to have come from somewhere, and we should expect that there was some reasonable basis for such claims. Most likely there was a version of the Gospel narrative that plainly described Jesus descending from heaven. Now, I'd long thought that maybe there was some original story that began with the story of the Transfiguration on the mountain, and that Mark had added on a lot of opening material to an original story that actually began around Mark 9. But, I think there are a lot of reasons to believe that the canonical Gospel of Mark is a revised version of an earlier narrative that opened with John witnessing the descent from Jesus from heaven.

So here is the evidence I've gathered to support this so far:

1) Every narrative we know of about Jesus begins with the spontaneous appearance of Jesus in the presence of John. Yes, both Matthew and Luke provide opening birth narratives, but even in these stories, the ministry of Jesus begin with a spontaneous appearance of Jesus to John.

2) The Parable of the Sower. The Parable of the Sower identifies four types of people, which I discuss here. The first of these are, "ones on the path where the word is sown: when they hear, Satan immediately comes and takes away the word that is sown in them."

Who could this be talking about? We could simply read this parable as just a general statement about any old people. But the parable makes much more sense if it is read in relation to specific individuals who are used as example within the story itself. Who, then would this first person be? If the one being tempted by Satan is Jesus in Mark 1, then it doesn't make any sense. But if the one being tempted by Satan in Mark 1 is actually John, then this parable now makes sense in relation to the story. This is especially true given that in Mark 1 we are told that John is preparing the path for Jesus and the temping by Satan is immediate. It would appear then that the Parable of the Sower is given when it is so that the reader can recognize who the first character was supposed to and then be on alert to identify the remaining characters.

3) The arrest of John in Mark has always seem quite perplexing, because it comes out of nowhere and is unexplained. Why was John arrested? We don't learn about it until Mark 6. This is always explained away as simply, "one of Mark's quirks". But what if "Mark's quirks" are the product of editorial revision instead of Mark being a bad story teller. In fact, the explanation of John's arrest in Mark 6 appears like an inserted digression. I suspect the whole account about Herod and John is a later modification of the original story.

4) The opening of the Gospel of John:

6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. 8 He himself was not the light, but he came to testify to the light. 9 The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.
14 And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father’s only son, full of grace and truth. 15 (John testified to him and cried out, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me ranks ahead of me because he was before me.’ ”) 16 From his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. 17 The law indeed was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God. It is the only Son, himself God, who is close to the Father’s heart, who has made him known.

If John is derived from a pre-canonical version of Mark, then this opening can be seen as having been based upon the original opening of Mark, in which John is described as a witness to the descent of Jesus. The writer of John is revising the narrative to claim that Jesus "became flesh" in opposition to the original story in which is remains a Spirit. But the writer is only disputing that he became flesh instead of remained Spirit, he isn't disputing that he was witnessed coming into the world from heaven by John.

5) This is further supported by other passages in John, to wit:

John 3:31 The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is of the earth belongs to the earth and speaks about earthly things. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32 He testifies to what he has seen and heard, yet no one accepts his testimony. 33 Whoever has accepted his testimony has certified this, that God is true. 34 He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure.

Here the Gospel of John testifies to having been derived from an earlier version Mark in which Jesus clearly came "from above".

6) The opening of John does not say that Jesus came from Galilee, it simply has Jesus go to Galilee:

John 1:43 The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee.

This fits better to a reading of Mark in which Jesus is not from "Nazareth of Galilee". Mark reads:

9 In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove upon him.
14 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the good news of God

The Gospel of John does not say that Jesus is from Galilee. It implies it, with what is an apparent late revision.

7 After this Jesus went about in Galilee. He did not wish to go about in Judea because the Jews were looking for an opportunity to kill him. 2 Now the Jewish Festival of Booths was near. 3 So his brothers said to him, “Leave here and go to Judea so that your disciples also may see the works you are doing, 4 for no one who wants to be widely known acts in secret. If you do these things, show yourself to the world.” 5 (For not even his brothers believed in him.) 6 Jesus said to them, “My time has not yet come, but your time is always here.

This is similar to the editorial revision found in John 3:
22 After this Jesus and his disciples went into the region of Judea, and he spent some time there with them and baptized. 23 John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim because water was abundant there, and people kept coming and were being baptized. 24 (John, of course, had not yet been thrown into prison.)

In the Gospel of John, John the Baptist is not actually arrested. In fact, its not totally clear that John was arrested at all in the original version of Mark even, I'm just going along with it in my initial reconstruction for simplicity. I would conclude that John had been eliminated from the story by Mark 4, so it is possible that he was indeed arrested in the original version of Mark, but there are other possibilities as well, yet I'll just leave it alone for now.

6) The beliefs of the heretics:

Close on their heels follows Apelles, a disciple of Marcion, … The Law and the prophets he repudiates. Christ he neither, like Marcion, affirms to have been in a phantasmal shape, nor yet in substance of a true body, as the Gospel teaches; but says, because He descended from the upper regions, that in the course of His descent He wove together for Himself a starry and airy flesh; and, in His resurrection, restored, in the course of His ascent, to the several individual elements whatever had been borrowed in His descent: and thus-the several parts of His body dispersed-He reinstated in heaven His spirit only. This man denies the resurrection of the flesh.
—Against All Heresies; Tertullian, 3rd century

Now a person might say that these men, and those who hold a different opinion, are yet near neighbors, being involved in like error. For those men, indeed, either profess that Christ came into our life a mere man, and deny the talent of His divinity, or else, acknowledging Him to be God, they deny, on the other hand, His humanity, and teach that His appearances to those who saw Him as man were illusory, inasmuch as He did not bear with Him true manhood, but was rather a kind of phantom manifestation. Of this class are, for example, Marcion and Valentinus, and the Gnostics, who sunder the Word from the flesh, and thus set aside the one talent, viz., the incarnation.
—Discourses; Hippolytus, 3rd century

But Jesus being derived from that father who is above the God that made the world, and coming into Judæa in the times of Pontius Pilate the governor, who was the procurator of Tiberius Cæsar, was manifested in the form of a man to those who were in Judæa, abolishing the prophets and the law, and all the works of that God who made the world, whom also he calls Cosmocrator. Besides this, he mutilates the Gospel which is according to Luke, removing all that is written respecting the generation of the Lord, and setting aside a great deal of the teaching of the Lord, in which the Lord is recorded as most dearly confessing that the Maker of this universe is His Father.
-Against Heresies (Book I, Chapter 27); Irenaeus, 2nd century

So where did these ideas come from? Irenaeus chalks all this up to "absurd" and "ridiculous" ideas, lies, and corruption of the "true Gospels". But it would make more sense if these ideas came from earlier versions of the story which Irenaeus was unfamiliar with. Irenaeus assumed or was led to believe that the versions of the stories he was reading were the originals.

7) Why was John a figure about whom so much was written? Was not John such a heavily used figure because John was supposed to be the one who witnessed the descent of Jesus from heaven? This John was only later said to have baptized Jesus and there was confusion about who this John really was. There must have been a rivalry between John and Paul over who saw Jesus, with Marcion taking the view that Paul was the only one to see Jesus descend from heaven. Thus in Marcion's Gospel John doesn't witness the descent of Jesus.

8) Nazareth as a late addition to give Jesus a home town? BeDuhn notes: "The Evangelion apparently had “Jesus” without the epithet “the Nazorean” (most Greek manuscripts) or “the Nazarene”(D, OL)."

Of course all of this perhaps creates as many questions as it potentially answers. If this proposal were true, then why isn't there more definitive evidence of it? One thing I would say is that its pretty clear that the writers we hear from aren't very reliable, in part because they seem to be missing a lot of information and working from assumptions. It doesn't appear that these writings were commonly available at the local library.
RandyHelzerman

Post by RandyHelzerman »

andrewcriddle wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:48 am The most obvious explanation for the omission of the baptism of Jesus by John in Marcion's Gospel is IMO that Marcion found it theologically unacceptable.
That is the majority view, from Tertullian to today, and, as such, we should give it all its due respect. Still, it is striking that the wording in Canonical Luke and Canonical Matthew for this event are pretty much word-for-word identical, contra Canonical Mark. Seems like the hypothesis that this scene is a secondary add-on to a Marcionite original is still on the table.

What do you think Marcion would find objectionable about it? If Jesus's spiritual body could be crucified, why couldn't it be baptized?
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

This proposal also explains the "messianic secret" in Mark. It's never been well explained, but this explains it as the secret that Jesus is from heaven.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

A nice example of a modern version of scholasticism here.
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

This would bring the opening of Mark into alignment with the Vision of Isaiah. The text of Ascension of Isaiah that we have includes what appears to be an interruption of the original material in which a narrative about the birth and crucifixion of Jesus has been inserted into the text based on the Gospels. In the process it appears that the original narrative has been overwritten and lost. Nevertheless, there is enough here to see that the original narrative was about the descend of the Lord to earth through the heavens. The idea is apparently that the Lord will disguise himself as a being of each layer of the world, finally arriving at earth where he takes on the form of a human. The purpose of these transfigurations is to disguise himself so that he will not be recognized by Satan. I'd long thought that somehow this was related to the Messianic Secret in Mark, but wasn't sure how. This proposed opening of Mark, however, would explain it. Mark is in agreement with the Vision of Isaiah that the Lord descended from heaven by taking on a disguise. That he is a disguised heavenly being is the secret.

4. And the Lord and the angel of the Spirit were beholding all and hearing all.

5. And all the praises which are sent up from the six heavens are not only heard, but seen.

6. And I heard the angel who conducted me and he said: "This is the Most High of the high ones, dwelling in the holy world, and resting in His holy ones, who will be called by the Holy Spirit through the lips of the righteous the Father of the Lord."

7. And I heard the voice of the Most High, the Father of my Lord, saying to my Lord Christ who will be called Jesus:

8. "Go forth and descent through all the heavens, and thou wilt descent to the firmament and that world: to the angel in Sheol thou wilt descend, but to Haguel thou wilt not go.

9. And thou wilt become like unto the likeness of all who are in the five heavens.

10. And thou wilt be careful to become like the form of the angels of the firmament [and the angels also who are in Sheol].

11. And none of the angels of that world shall know that Thou art with Me of the seven heavens and of their angels.

12. And they shall not know that Thou art with Me, till with a loud voice I have called (to) the heavens, and their angels and their lights, (even) unto the sixth heaven, in order that you mayest judge and destroy the princes and angels and gods of that world, and the world that is dominated by them:

13. For they have denied Me and said: "We alone are and there is none beside us."

14. And afterwards from the angels of death Thou wilt ascend to Thy place. And Thou wilt not be transformed in each heaven, but in glory wilt Thou ascend and sit on My right hand.

15. And thereupon the princes and powers of that world will worship Thee."

16. These commands I heard the Great Glory giving to my Lord.

17. And so I saw my Lord go forth from the seventh heaven into the sixth heaven.

18. And the angel who conducted me [from this world was with me and] said unto me: "Understand, Isaiah, and see the transformation and descent of the Lord will appear."

19. And I saw, and when the angels saw Him, thereupon those in the sixth heaven praised and lauded Him; for He had not been transformed after the shape of the angels there, and they praised Him and I also praised with them.

20. And I saw when He descended into the fifth heaven, that in the fifth heaven He made Himself like unto the form of the angels there, and they did not praise Him (nor worship Him); for His form was like unto theirs.

21. And then He descended into the forth heaven, and made Himself like unto the form of the angels there.

22. And when they saw Him, they did not praise or laud Him; for His form was like unto their form.

23. And again I saw when He descended into the third heaven, and He made Himself like unto the form of the angels in the third heaven.

24. And those who kept the gate of the (third) heaven demanded the password, and the Lord gave (it) to them in order that He should not be recognized. And when they saw Him, they did not praise or laud Him; for His form was like unto their form.

25. And again I saw when He descended into the second heaven, and again He gave the password there; those who kept the gate proceeded to demand and the Lord to give.

26. And I saw when He made Himself like unto the form of the angels in the second heaven, and they saw Him and they did not praise Him; for His form was like unto their form.

27. And again I saw when He descended into the first heaven, and there also He gave the password to those who kept the gate, and He made Himself like unto the form of the angels who were on the left of that throne, and they neither praised nor lauded Him; for His form was like unto their form.

28. But as for me no one asked me on account of the angel who conducted me.

29. And again He descended into the firmament where dwelleth the ruler of this world, and He gave the password to those on the left, and His form was like theirs, and they did not praise Him there; but they were envying one another and fighting; for here there is a power of evil and envying about trifles.

30. And I saw when He descended and made Himself like unto the angels of the air, and He was like one of them.

31. And He gave no password; for one was plundering and doing violence to another.

[Pocket Gospel - Later insertion. The original text is missing.]

23. And I saw Him, and He was in the firmament, but He had not changed Himself into their form, and all the angels of the firmament and the Satans saw Him and they worshipped.

24. And there was much sorrow there, while they said: "How did our Lord descend in our midst, and we perceived not the glory [which has been upon Him], which we see has been upon Him from the sixth heaven?"

25. And He ascended into the second heaven, and He did not transform Himself, but all the angels who were on the right and on the left and the throne in the midst.

26. Both worshipped Him and praised Him and said: "How did our Lord escape us whilst descending, and we perceived not?"

MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

rgprice wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:56 am The idea is apparently that the Lord will disguise himself as a being of each layer of the world, finally arriving at earth where he takes on the form of a human. The purpose of these transfigurations is to disguise himself so that he will not be recognized by Satan.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15 alludes to this:

13b ... ψευδαπόστολοι, ἐργάται δόλιοι, μετασχηματιζόμενοa εἰς ἀποστόλους Χριστοῦ
......... false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselvesa as apostles of Christ

14b ... Σατανᾶς μετασχηματίζεταιa εἰς ἄγγελον φωτός1
.......... Satan masqueradesa as an angel of 'light'

15 It is not surprising, then, if the servants of him [also] masquerade as servants of righteousness whose end will be according to their deeds

a metaschēmatizomenoi and metaschēmatizetai might be better represented by metamorphis- ing and -es

1 φωτός, phōtos, is ambiguous: it can mean light or man

eta:
Here's a version of a Marcionite edition (via https://zenodo.org/record/8271824):

[For]
    such
    false emissaries,
    crafty workers,
    metamorphosinga themselves
    [as] emissaries of [the] Anointed,2
    for the adversary3 himself
    metamorphosesa himself
    into 'an angel [of] light'.

2 Χριστοῦ, Christ

3 Σατανᾶς, Satanas

20 in the fifth heaven He made Himself like unto the form of the angels there, and they did not praise Him (nor worship Him); for His form was like unto theirs.

21. And then He descended into the forth heaven, and made Himself like unto the form of the angels there.

22. And when they saw Him, they did not praise or laud Him; for His form was like unto their form.

23. And again I saw when He descended into the third heaven, and He made Himself like unto the form of the angels in the third heaven.

25. And again I saw when He descended into the second heaven, and again He gave the password there; those who kept the gate proceeded to demand and the Lord to give.

26. And I saw when He made Himself like unto the form of the angels in the second heaven, and they saw Him and they did not praise Him; for His form was like unto their form.

27. And again I saw when He descended into the first heaven, and there also He gave the password to those who kept the gate, and He made Himself like unto the form of the angels who were on the left of that throne, and they neither praised nor lauded Him; for His form was like unto their form.

28. But as for me no one asked me on account of the angel who conducted me.

29. And again He descended into the firmament where dwelleth the ruler of this world, and He gave the password to those on the left, and His form was like theirs, and they did not praise Him there; but they were envying one another and fighting; for here there is a power of evil and envying about trifles.

30. And I saw when He descended and made Himself like unto the angels of the air, and He was like one of them.

23. And I saw Him, and He was in the firmament, but He had not changed Himself into their form, and all the angels of the firmament and the Satans saw Him and they worshipped ...

Last edited by MrMacSon on Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyHelzerman

Post by RandyHelzerman »

rgprice wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:39 am I'd like to hear what you have to say about the whole case I've put forward.
Its a good case, and a very promising line of research. The niggling doubts about it I have can be classed into two categories:
1. You may have gone too far, and
2. You may not have gone far enough ;-)
Let me explain:

1. You don't really need to postulate as much change to the text of Mark as you do. Just getting rid of "from Nazareth", seems to me, gives you enough of a suddenly-appearing Jesus. Heck, you might not even have to postulate ANY change; as you point out, Jesus's appearance is pretty sudden in all the gospels, once you discount the contradictory birth narratives.

2. But maybe you should postulate *even more* change to the text--in Marcion's Evangelion, the whole John the Baptist scene doesn't even appear at all. Which is really puzzling, because Marcion's gospel more faithfully follows Canonical Mark even better than Luke and Matthew do. See https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonm ... ed-on-mark for a great analysis.

We've got great reconstructions of Marcion's gospel from Luke, and Dr. Bilby has even given us a great reconstruction of Q from Marcion's gospel. But for your purposes, what we really need is a great reconstruction of Mark from Marcion's Gospel. It is *sooo close** to Canonical Mark, but different in many ways. For example, Marcion's gospel doesn't nest stories inside of each other (e.g. nesting the story of the triumphal entry inside of the story of the cursed fig tree). And, for your purposes, it doesn't mention John the Baptist at all. If you want a suddenly-appearing Jesus, Marcion is your man.

Can we recover an earlier version of Mark from Marcion's gospel, and one which will massively support your hypothesis here?

But I don't want to overstate my case here, there are some considerations which really throw me for a loop. One is that Canonical Mark--especially after reading your book on Mark as allegory--seems to be a perfectly unitary, coherent, integral whole. It doesn't sound to me like its the result of layers of composition--on the contrary, it sounds like it was written by one person, at one time, using one technique: allegorization--for one purpose: rationalizing the destruction of the Temple: for one audience: the readers of Paul's letters. As you point out, the opening citations in Mark from Malachi and Isaiah (and the allusions which his readers surely picked up on) virtually give the outline of Mark: Elijah is the messenger, allegorized into John the Baptist, who anoints a suddenly-appearing Lord, allegorized into Jesus, who proceeds to go to the Temple, which he allegorically purifies.

All the episodes in Mark are well-motivated and flow logically once you *get* that. John *has* to be there to anoint Jesus, but after that, John needs to go before he *eclipses* Jesus. Since both of them are already in the wilderness (so Jesus can Hear the voice of John crying therein), Mark just "straightways" Jesus a bit further out into the desert, keeps him there long enough to avoid Herod's dragnet, and--once John is safely tucked away in prison--Mark "straightways" Jesus right back to the prepared path.

What's more--you can discern yet another motivation for driving Jesus into the wilderness for 40 days: Jesus picks up *yet another* allegory; that of Elijah being in the wilderness for 40 days. John the Baptist has, as it were, given his mantle to Jesus, just like Elijah gave his to Elisha. Recall, John the Baptist was a much bigger deal than Jesus was. Josephus's mention of him has never persuasively been contested as being interpolation. Even today, there is a religion (the Mandeans) which venerates John the Baptist, but which thinks Jesus was just an also-ran. Mark needs to give Jesus some street cred here, and so having John pass the mantel to Jesus in the wilderness--on the banks of the same river, Jordon--makes perfect sense.

It *all* makes perfect sense--but yet--John the Baptist is a "load bearing wall" to the story. So why does the Evangelion just yank him out? That makes no sense to me, but yet, it makes no sense to me that there was a pre-existing version of Mark either. I'm in an extreme state of cognitive dissonance here. Pehaps your further research will help clarify.
My view has long been that such beliefs need to be explained. They had to have come from somewhere, and we should expect that there was some reasonable basis for such claims.
Two points here: 1. Surely the arrow of causality runs in the opposite direction, i.e. they had some pre-existent beliefs, and they wrote their gospels to express those, the best they could, and 2. No religion in the history of history has *ever* derived each and every one of their beliefs from their sacred scriptures. Everybody picks and chooses, reinterprets, hermanuticizes, and flat-out ignores those inconvenient bits.

I mean, hat's off to the Sola Scriptura theologians, who certainly have made a heroic effort. But, let's face it, those guys are never going to be out of a job. They will always have more work to do trying to trace back their doctrines to the Bible, because, end of the day, it just can't be done. Sure, their beliefs have some basis, and have had to have come from somewhere, but not every belief has to have a proof-text.

We may read a text like, say, Euclid's Elements, the same way as the original community did, but the gospels? These were religious people, reading sacred scriptures, and they read them very differently. And the fact that we have so many gospels means that the authors felt very free to dork around with the texts, which is to say, they didn't take all these fine details that seriously.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

RandyHelzerman wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:57 am
andrewcriddle wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:48 am The most obvious explanation for the omission of the baptism of Jesus by John in Marcion's Gospel is IMO that Marcion found it theologically unacceptable.
That is the majority view, from Tertullian to today, and, as such, we should give it all its due respect. Still, it is striking that the wording in Canonical Luke and Canonical Matthew for this event are pretty much word-for-word identical, contra Canonical Mark. Seems like the hypothesis that this scene is a secondary add-on to a Marcionite original is still on the table.

What do you think Marcion would find objectionable about it? If Jesus's spiritual body could be crucified, why couldn't it be baptized?
John the Baptist is clearly a figure in continuity with the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible. If Jesus chose to be baptized by John he would be identifying himself with Old Testament prophecy in a way that Marcion could not accept.

Andrew Criddle
RandyHelzerman

Post by RandyHelzerman »

andrewcriddle wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:48 am John the Baptist is clearly a figure in continuity with the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible. If Jesus chose to be baptized by John he would be identifying himself with Old Testament prophecy in a way that Marcion could not accept.
This.....is a damn good point. I've been operating under the assumption that Marcion was advocating for a pre-existing gospel. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but certainly the gospel could have been tailored to a specific theology at some point.

Thanks for this, andrewcriddle. Its really caused me to think.
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

andrewcriddle wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:48 am John the Baptist is clearly a figure in continuity with the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible. If Jesus chose to be baptized by John he would be identifying himself with Old Testament prophecy in a way that Marcion could not accept.

Andrew Criddle
I would say firstly that in whatever the original version of the story was, it is not at all certain that "John" was "John the Baptist". Maybe, maybe not. I would leave that open.

In think in some theoretical first version of the narrative the story opened with the appearance of Jesus to John, and we can leave it at that. In the first version did Jesus walk up to John from behind a bush? Did Jesus descend from heaven and land at John's feet? Did John merely have a vision of Jesus as we see in the story of Paul? I don't know, but what does seem apparent is that the earliest version of this story begins with Jesus appearing to John.

Was the John in this first narrative linked to the OT? I would say probably, given the nature of John's character in all of the Gospel stories.

Clearly John is supposed to represent a "changing of the guard", a transition from old to new. Jesus appears to the last of the Jewish prophets, then bids him adieu.

Could that be achieved through the baptism of Jesus by John? Maybe. Its not clear to me that Jesus being baptized by John would necessarily be a problem for Marcion.

But all of this does make me think that what we read about John in the Gospel of Mark is incomplete and that the material about John that we read in Luke must pre-date the canonical version of Mark.

So either Mark is not really the earliest Gospel, or the version of Mark that we have in the NT has been more significantly redacted than I realized.

I still cannot get past the sense that there is a major misunderstanding of what Marcion's Gospel was -- that Marcion's Gospel was not simply a slightly shorter version of Luke. Somewhere I sense that Marcion's text looked like a cross between Mark and Luke and that the Gospel of Mark more faithfully retains some elements of Marcion's text than Luke does. If that is indeed the case, then I may agree that Marcion's Gospel came first, but it would mean that Mark is a redaction of Marcion's Gospel in which mostly what was done to arrive at Mark from Marcion was simply to remove material, with only very minor amounts of re-writing and addition.