“In the entire history there has never been knowledge of one other case of somebody who survived a crucifixion”

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

“In the entire history there has never been knowledge of one other case of somebody who survived a crucifixion”

Post by Giuseppe »

...and one month later the old city was also captured, apart from the palace of Herod who remained occupied for another three month by a group of immovable fighters of the Jewish resistance.

The Romans took revenge in a terrifying way. Hundreds of people were crucified among which the three essaean priests whom Flavus Josephus mentioned in his biography. In Chapter 8 it has been discussed how Josephus, with the help of an acquainted physician. managed to relieve his three friends from their crosses. Two of them die, the third one survived the crucifixion. The impression this survival must have made on the Essaeans should not be underestimated. In the entire history there has never been knowledge of one other case of somebody who survived a crucifixion. This was something so extraordinary exceptional that it was automatically regarded by those familiar with the essaean ideology, as naturally an image of the death and resurrection of the hypothetically perfect human of the Jesus-metaphor with which one had become familiar through the preaching of Paul. Although Paul had already died by that time, people had become familiar with this Jesus-metaphor which Paul had been preaching, so that when this exceptional survival from the cross of one of the three essaean priests became regarded as the image of the death and resurrection of the metaphor Jesus, Paul became sort of automatically represented by his successor Luke and Peter's successor — of the spiritualized interpretation of the Law — Mark.

(Pierre Krijbolder, Crucifixion and Turin Shroud Mysteries Solved: Jesus Was Not the Crucified Man!, p. 175, my bold)
Giuseppe

Re: “In the entire history there has never been knowledge of one other case of somebody who survived a crucifixion”

Post by Giuseppe »

Someway, Josephus bar Matthias, as "Joseph of Arimathea", had to deserve the role of only witness of the crucifixion of Jesus because there were no other witnesses. Apart the person who described the principal effect of the crucifixion of Jesus: i.e. the destruction of Jerusalem.

This can mean only one of two things:
  • Josephus saw really the historical Jesus on that particular cross, or (AUT)
  • Josephus alone witnessed Jesus's crucifixion in the fiction because he witnessed the crucifixion of Israel in the real History.
lsayre

Re: “In the entire history there has never been knowledge of one other case of somebody who survived a crucifixion”

Post by lsayre »

I wonder if the man whom Josephus brought down from the cross might have been one and the same as the Jewish revolt leader who was (later) tossed off of the Tarpeian Rock to his death in Rome? I.E., Simon bar Giora...
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Those who directly witnessed the survival of the man whom Josephus saved from the cross may have perceived that which they witnessed as a resurrection miracle, later to be contorted and embellished via oral transmission.
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

lsayre wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:16 pm I wonder if the man whom Josephus brought down from the cross might have been one and the same as the Jewish revolt leader who was (later) tossed off of the Tarpeian Rock to his death in Rome? I.E., Simon bar Giora...
Simon bar Giora has his own "resurrection story", given he startled the Romans by emerging from his subterranean hiding place in the full garment of a Judean king. But yes, this story also has connections to the Barabbas episode.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

lsayre wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:16 pm I wonder if the man whom Josephus brought down from the cross might have been one and the same as the Jewish revolt leader who was (later) tossed off of the Tarpeian Rock to his death in Rome? I.E., Simon bar Giora...
Simon bar Giora was never in secret league with Josephus. At contrary, a Zealot leader called Jesus ben Sapphas was in secret league with Josephus, as described in Josephus's Vita.