1 Thessalonians 2:14-16 is a very late interpolation: Celsus's case

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

1 Thessalonians 2:14-16 is a very late interpolation: Celsus's case

Post by Giuseppe »

To the Jews, however, especially those of ancient times, who employ none of these practices, he did not merely refuse the name of inspired, but declared that they would immediately perish.

https://www.newadvent.org/fathers/04166.htm

Another translation reads:

they will presently perish

This has remembered me this interpolation in Paul:

For you, brothers and sisters, became imitators of God’s churches in Judea, which are in Christ Jesus: You suffered from your own people the same things those churches suffered from the Jews 15 who killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets and also drove us out. They displease God and are hostile to everyone 16 in their effort to keep us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved. In this way they always heap up their sins to the limit. The wrath of God has come upon them at last

(1 Thess 2:14-16)

So there was a common tropos, saying that the Jews were "on the point of being destroyed", but this only after Bar-Kokhba, not before.

Hence Dave Allen is totally wrong when he believes that the passage is genuine.
robert j

Re: 1 Thessalonians 2:14-16 is a very late interpolation: Celsus's case

Post by robert j »

There is another relevant passage among the letters generally acknowledged as having been written by Paul. The tone is less angry, but in this verse it is clearly stated that the Jews are currently subject to the wrath of God ---

For if those of the Law are heirs, faith has been made void and the promise made of no effect. For Law brings wrath (ὀργὴν); and where there is no Law, neither is transgression. (Romans 4:14-15)

And in 1 Thessalonians ---

… hindering us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, so as always to fill up their sins. Now the wrath (ὀργὴ) has come upon them to the utmost. (1 Thessalonians 2:16)

A reasonable take ---

In 1 Thessalonians, according to this passage, with the Jews attempting to hinder Paul from promoting his circumcision-free Jewish-lite message among the Gentiles, the Jews have earned even more wrath --- piling it on to the utmost.

My point is that this passage in 1 Thessalonians is not a slam-dunk for interpolation.
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

Giuseppe i know you're a mythicist
if i thought Paul represented the first Christianity that existed I would be one also
what makes me a historicist is I don't think Paul is convincing as representing the first Christianity, even if his writings are the earliest extant
Paul admits to laying his foundation over the top its pretty clear there was an incarnation prior to him and he omits quite a lot about the historical Jesus possibly because the prior incarnation didn't make everything all about the historical Jesus yet more than Paul does?
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

robert j wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:35 am There is another relevant passage among the letters generally acknowledged as having been written by Paul. The tone is less angry, but in this verse it is clearly stated that the Jews are currently subject to the wrath of God ---

For if those of the Law are heirs, faith has been made void and the promise made of no effect. For Law brings wrath (ὀργὴν); and where there is no Law, neither is transgression. (Romans 4:14-15)

And in 1 Thessalonians ---

… hindering us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, so as always to fill up their sins. Now the wrath (ὀργὴ) has come upon them to the utmost. (1 Thessalonians 2:16)

A reasonable take ---

In 1 Thessalonians, according to this passage, with the Jews attempting to hinder Paul from promoting his circumcision-free Jewish-lite message among the Gentiles, the Jews have earned even more wrath --- piling it on to the utmost.

My point is that this passage in 1 Thessalonians is not a slam-dunk for interpolation.
Building on robert j's comment, I see the key as "hindering us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, so as always to fill up their sins". What are their sins? Rejecting Jesus. Thus through that failing, "wrath has come upon them to the utmost" by being cut off from salvation and having their chance passed onto the Gentiles.

This is spelt out in Romans 11 which contains all those elements:

Rom.11
[1] I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
[2] God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
[3] Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
[4] But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
[5] Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
[6] And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
[7] What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded
[8] (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear) unto this day.
[9] And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumbling block, and a recompence unto them:
[10] Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.
[11] I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
[12] Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?
[13] For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
[14] If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.
[15] For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?
[16] For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
[17] And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
[18] Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
[19] Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
[20] Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
[21] For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
[22] Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
[23] And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
[24] For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?
[25] For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
[26] And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
[27] For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

God has actively "blinded them", "cast them away", "broke [their] branch" from the tree of salvation. Paul describes this as the "severity of God".

Compare the above with 1 Thes 2:

[14] For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews:
[15] Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men:
[16] Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.

If the author of that passage in 1 Thes had used "severity" instead of "wrath", would anyone have any issue with that passage?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

robert j wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:35 am
for me, the final reference to the coming wrath is quasi a prophecy ex evento. It was impossible, in the times of Paul, to make a similar prophecy, unless your name was Jesus ben Ananias, the only apocalyptic prophet who dared to predict the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple before the facts.

But after the First Jewish Revolt, everyone could be able to make similar prophecies, even a Celsus, as I have quoted above.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

davidmartin wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:37 pm what makes me a historicist is I don't think Paul is convincing as representing the first Christianity
a feature shared by many historicists:
Paul is a liar "therefore" different people worked before him.

Unfortunately, the Pauline theology is so nebulous, that I can't accuse him of being a liar. At contrary, I can do so with the evangelists...
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

GakuseiDon wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:29 pm Building on robert j's comment, I see the key as "hindering us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, so as always to fill up their sins". What are their sins? Rejecting Jesus. Thus through that failing, "wrath has come upon them to the utmost" by being cut off from salvation and having their chance passed onto the Gentiles.

There is nothing in Romans about the Jews “rejecting Jesus.”

Unless of course one opts to define “Jesus” as a mere cipher of salvation through faith, as the Pauline author does), not a human messiah.
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:27 pm a feature shared by many historicists:
Paul is a liar "therefore" different people worked before him.

Unfortunately, the Pauline theology is so nebulous, that I can't accuse him of being a liar. At contrary, I can do so with the evangelists...
I'm not sure if there should be a big split between 'historicist' and 'mythicist' actually, not sure at all about that.
there is always myth in religion and history in myth
most historicist's i've seen say the people prior to Paul were these Jewish James type Ebionites but that doesn't work (or it creates more problems than it solves)

i think the ones before Paul were somewhat like him, similar theology but he adds certain things and takes certain things away
Paul didn't completely invent Pauline theology. He didn't invent the holy spirit or "Christ"
He was the first to make Jesus a legalistic sin offering (a point he labours, a point that wasn't there before. One of his revelations)
He creates his own theology from this of how the law is obsolete that wasn't there before
He creates another covenant that wasn't there before
Stuff like this
He takes away in the sense he re-rolls everything in his own way, he doesn't need his predecessors words, he doesn't need a teacher Jesus or any of his words so he omits them. this causes him problems but he does it anyway (and ends up with gospels preceding him in the canon!)

calling Paul a liar, not completely he's just a strong willed sectarian leader. they push their own thoughts and want their congregation to hang on their words. He's clever but he is obviously a secondary phenomenon.
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Irish1975 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:23 pm
GakuseiDon wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:29 pm Building on robert j's comment, I see the key as "hindering us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, so as always to fill up their sins". What are their sins? Rejecting Jesus. Thus through that failing, "wrath has come upon them to the utmost" by being cut off from salvation and having their chance passed onto the Gentiles.

There is nothing in Romans about the Jews “rejecting Jesus.”
Isn't that the implication of Rom 9?

Rom 9
[31] But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
[32] Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
[33] As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

This leads to Rom 11:

[11] I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles
[12] ... the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles...
[22] Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee [Gentiles], goodness...

My argument is that the "severity of God" maps to the "wrath of God" in 1 Thes.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Irish1975 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:23 pm Unless of course one opts to define “Jesus” as a mere cipher of salvation through faith, as the Pauline author does), not a human messiah.
I agree.