How Many Times Did Paul Visit the Corinthians?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

How Many Times Did Paul Visit the Corinthians?

Post by robert j »

I have a few items that I have written previously but not yet posted. I’m posting this rather mundane item now, as a bit of housecleaning and to clear-up possible confusion before posting a much more significant topic about the messed-up and composite extant 2 Corinthians.

Jumping ahead to my conclusion here, I think the evidence in Paul’s letters best supports this solution ---

Paul Visited the Corinthians Only Once.

This translation is from the New International Version ---

This will be my third visit to you. “Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.” I already gave you a warning when I was with you the second time. I now repeat it while absent: On my return I will not spare those who sinned earlier or any of the others,

(2 Corinthians 13:1-2. NIV)

Two visits with a third planned? Not so fast. Do Paul’s letters adequately support this NIV translation?

I almost never use the Commentaries to support my arguments when writing about Paul’s letters. But the question of how many times Paul visited the Corinthians, as found in the letters, provides an opportunity to poke a little fun at some of the Commentaries. Though granted, several of the Commentaries I looked at agree with my interpretation of one visit. All the citations from the Commentaries presented here are from the Bible Hub.

Before focusing on the passage from 2 Corinthians cited above, a couple of previous verses need to be addressed.

For I judged this within myself, not to come to you again in grief. (2 Corinthians 2:1, Berean Literal Bible)

I’ll just use one Commentary here, as I think this Commentary has this one right ---

He did not wish to come again, i.e., to make his second visit to Corinth, in grief, and if he had carried out his first plan that would have been the almost inevitable result.

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers

https://biblehub.com/2_corinthians/2-1.htm

So only one visit so far, Paul’s evangelizing visit with Timothy and Silvanus (2 Corinthians 1:19). But then this ---

Behold, this third time I am ready to come to you, and I will not burden (you). For I do not seek what (is) yours, but you. For the children ought not to treasure up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

(2 Corinthians 12:14, Berean Literal Bible, parentheses marks, but not the words, by me)

The understanding of this verse above goes along with the understanding of the primary passage in question here, this time with a better translation ----

This third (time) I am coming to you. "In (the) mouth of two or three witnesses every matter will be established." I have warned as being present the second time, and being absent now; and I warn those having sinned before and all the rest that, if I come to the (same) again, I will not spare (anyone) …

(2 Corinthians 13:1-2, Berean Literal Bible, parentheses marks, but not the words, by me)

Here’s some bold apologetics ---

This is the third time I am coming to you—not merely preparing to come to you. This proves an intermediate visit between the two recorded in Ac 18:1; 20:2.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
https://biblehub.com/commentaries/jfb/2 ... ans/13.htm

There is no such proof to be had here, and once again demonstrates the pitfalls of using the later legends in Acts to understand Paul’s letters.

This Commentary from Vincent’s Word Studies tries to blame “chronological theories” for leading some interpreters astray ---

The third time

The great mass of modern expositors hold that Paul made three visits to Corinth, of the second of which there is no record.

I am coming

The third visit which I am about to pay. Alford observes that had not chronological theories intervened, no one would ever have thought of any other rendering. Those who deny the second visit explain: this is the third time that I have been intending to come.

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/vws/2 ... ans/13.htm

Those darn chronological theories! The problem for those advocating more than one visit is that the information actually found in the letters does not clearly support more than one visit. This Commentary reviews the options, but settles on the one that, ”falls in best with the known facts of the case” ---

(1) This is the third time I am coming to you.--The words may point either to three actual visits--(1) that of Acts 18:1; (2) an unrecorded visit (of which, however, there is no trace), during St. Paul's stay at Ephesus; and (3) that now in contemplation--or (1) to one actual visit, as before; (2) the purposed visit which had been abandoned (see Notes on 2Corinthians 1:16); and (3) that which he now has in view. The latter interpretation falls in best with the known facts of the case, and is in entire accordance both with his language in 2Corinthians 12:14, and with his mode of expressing his intentions, as in 1Corinthians 16:5.

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
https://biblehub.com/2_corinthians/13-1.htm

Leaving the Commentaries behind, and turning to the interpretation of David Trobisch. I don’t agree with Trobisch on many issues, but I think he is clearly right here ---

"In 1 Cor 16:5 Paul is ready to leave. In 2 Cor 1:15-17 he reflects on a plan to visit the Corinthians before he goes to Macedonia, and must have told the Corinthians about this plan because he apologizes for not fulfilling this plan. In 2 Cor 13:1 he announces his visit the third time. In my opinion, the text says that it is the third time Paul is ready to visit Corinth and that he will really come this time, and his expression in 2 Cor 13:2 'as if I were with you a second time although I am absent now' is to be understood as a definite statement that he has been to Corinth only once."

Trobisch, Paul’s Letter Collection – Tracing the Origins, 1994, p. 67

My studies of the letters have led me to the same conclusion reached by Trobisch, that when writing 2 Corinthians 13:1-2, Paul had visited with the Corinthians only once. And Paul had broken promises to re-visit the Corinthians.

There is no clear evidence in Paul’s letters that he ever fulfilled that third promise to visit the Corinthians, or that he ever followed through on his threat to “not spare anyone”.

robert j