Observations About Epiphanius's Citation of the Gospel Associated With Marcionism

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Observations About Epiphanius's Citation of the Gospel Associated With Marcionism

Post by Secret Alias »

It curious that there are like almost no references to the Sermon on the Mount in Epiphanius. There are just so many in Tertullian many of them look like Matthew. Almost none are uniquely Marcionite. Western text. Nevertheless if Tertullian and Epiphanius supposedly had Marcionite gospels its hard to reconcile like 30 - 40 citations of text in Tertullian and like 1 or 2 in Epiphanius. The argument that there aren't any actual unique variants doesn't hold up because Tertullian kept blabbing on regardless.
Secret Alias

Re: Observations About Epiphanius's Citation of the Gospel Associated With Marcionism

Post by Secret Alias »

So Matthew has the Antitheses. Tertullian cites Matthew 5.17 the most of any passage and almost always with the presumption that Marcion excised it. But 5.17 also makes its way to Epiphanius.

42 11 § 17 (p.125, l.18 - <) BP4
42 11 § 17 (p.148, l.23) BP4
42 11 § 17 (p.151, l.25 - <) BP4
42 12 § 3 (p.170, l.11) BP4
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Observations About Epiphanius's Citation of the Gospel Associated With Marcionism

Post by Peter Kirby »

Good to see another Biblindex enjoyer.

https://www.biblindex.org/citation_biblique/?lang=en

To provide some context here, the references are to Panarion 42.11.17 and 42.12.3.

You have twisted the wording, Marcion, by saying “testimony unto you” [leper story] instead of “testimony unto them.” In this too you have plainly lied against your own head. If he were saying, “testimony unto you,” he would be calling himself to witness that “I came not to destroy the Law or the prophets, but to fulfil.”

Scholion 69. After “We found this fellow perverting the nation,” Marcion added, “and destroying the Law and the prophets.”
(a) Elenchus 69. How will you not be detected? How will you not be exposed as perverting the way of the Lord? For when, in order to slander yourself—I won’t say, “the Lord”—you add something here that is not in the text < and > say, “We found this fellow destroying the Law and the prophets,” the opposite of this will refute you, you expender of wasted effort, since the Savior himself says, “I came not to destroy the Law and the prophets, but to fulfill.”
(b) Now the same person < who > says, “I came not to destroy,” cannot be accused of destroying. For the text did not say this, but, “We found him perverting the nation, saying that he himself is Christ, a king.”

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:47 pm So Matthew has the Antitheses. Tertullian cites Matthew 5.17 the most of any passage and almost always with the presumption that Marcion excised it. But 5.17 also makes its way to Epiphanius.

42 11 § 17 (p.125, l.18 - <) BP4
42 11 § 17 (p.148, l.23) BP4
42 11 § 17 (p.151, l.25 - <) BP4
42 12 § 3 (p.170, l.11) BP4
Wait, you mean you admit now you ridiculed my observation before but now agree?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Not following you.