Book Of Elchasai; Kitos War's End Begins Christianity

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
yakovzutolmai

Book Of Elchasai; Kitos War's End Begins Christianity

Post by yakovzutolmai »

Elchasai has always interested me. For one, he is attributed to the split between the Nazarenes off of the Essenes. This is probably appropriate since our best reconstruction of what the Nazarenes were like comes in the form of the Mandean community.

The book of Elchasai is a work of literature considered to have first defined the movement as a separate religious phenomenon. Thus, the actual prophet may have been present earlier, creating the Nazarenes, whereas the Book of Elchasai and the Elchasaites would possibly be a divergent phenomenon.

I have had a suspicion which is that radical, violent, zealous "Jamesianism" from the Jewish War continued in the Kitos War. Rome's response ended zealotry as a particular movement.

What I have just learned, or integrated, is that the Book of Elchasai - a work of prophetic revelations - and even an associated set of gospel texts, was specifically a product of the Babylonian Jewish response to the Kitos War.

I have previously mentioned that I believe that Osroes I of Parthia had been the son of Izates of Adiabene, and the Jews of Transjordan, Nisibis and the community in Arbela rose up against Trajan's invasion especially because of messianic beliefs about Osroes.

The fact that Elchasaitism is a direct reaction to their loss in this war is extremely important. Recall that with the temple's destruction in 70, 115 was within the scope of immanent eschatology. They had every reason to interpret the uprising as God's redemption in the face of the fall of the temple, especially because this set was apparently very unhappy with how the temple had been managed before its destruction.

One of the few mentions of Elchasite practitioners was by Hippolytus of Rome who quotes Alcibiades
there was preached unto men a new remission of sins in the third year of Trajan's reign.
I would like to advance this moment in time as the birth of Christianity. This explains the confounding of history by the Biblical narrative, reconciling mythicist and historicist positions. The post-Kitos reaction reinterprets first century history.

Instead of anticipating the Christ, now they find him within a figure they had previously rejected, itself a fulfilment of prophecy.

I also believe Kitos was the inspiration for the Pauline literature in the West.

We find a parallel in the execution of James by Ananus ben Ananus with the conflict between James and Paul. Theudas, whom I identify as Izates, was said to have been taught by Paul. In this light, Paul would be Ananus the senior. And Ananias was said to have converted Izates to Judaism by Josephus (though Eleazar, probably Boethus, radicalized him).

In this sense, the Pauline and Gnostic strain might be associated with the Ananians. This locus could explain the Pythagorean elements within Gnosticism, due to the former's association with Carmel. I am still struggling to determine the precise affiliation of the Ananians, though I assume they are fully aligned with the Alexandrians. It's also strange to think of Essenes as High Priests of the temple, but then again that in and of itself could explain a few things about what's going on in Judea particularly with the rebellions of Judas of Galilee.

This could suggest the Essene/Nazorean split parallels the Pauline/Jamesian and even Gnostic/Ebionite split.

In any event, the locus surrounding the Book of Elchasai is just too strong. We should consider Kitos War as the inception of an acceptance that Christ had already come. Not at that time, but earlier. Thus, the difficulty in reconciling the mythicist and historicist opinions. Christ did not come at the time when people first stated believing that he had come. Thus the historical inspiration for Christ had no direct connection to the originators of the sect preaching him, which would certainly confound historicism.
Gorit Maqueda

Re: Book Of Elchasai; Kitos War's End Begins Christianity

Post by Gorit Maqueda »

IIRC, Chris Palmero also places Mark's gospel after Kitos War.
yakovzutolmai

Post by yakovzutolmai »

Gorit Maqueda wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:37 pm IIRC, Chris Palmero also places Mark's gospel after Kitos War.
The Flavian provenance theory leaves room for it to maybe have been earlier. I think there is a strong Western tradition centered on Alexandria and Hellas, which was what you might call Judeo-Hellenic Gnosticism. The more historicist and differentiated Christian elements of the faith coming from the Eastern tradition. I think the history of wars provides a metronome, a shared rhythm between the two and their independent development.

I think the Kitos War must be understood as a hysterical but understandable reaction to the destruction of the temple, and then we start to really see Christianity after the failure of violence and hysteria in that war.
John2

Post by John2 »

I have had a suspicion which is that radical, violent, zealous "Jamesianism" from the Jewish War continued in the Kitos War. Rome's response ended zealotry as a particular movement.

What makes you suspect that "Jamesianism" was violent?

If you are referring to Jesus' brother in the gospels/"the brother of the Lord"/"pillar" in Galatians/Jerusalem church leader in Acts (I take this to be one person, in any event), my impression is that this James was a moderate between Paul's radical no-Torah-for-anyone position and the radical Torah-for-all/anti Pauline position of the "false brothers" in Galatians. And this James nevertheless protected Paul and had nothing to do with the attack against him by the violent mob in Acts 21.

So when I picture someone who was "Jamesian," I picture a moderate like this James.
yakovzutolmai

Post by yakovzutolmai »

John2 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:18 pm

What makes you suspect that "Jamesianism" was violent?

If you are referring to Jesus' brother in the gospels/"the brother of the Lord"/"pillar" in Galatians/Jerusalem church leader in Acts (I take this to be one person, in any event), my impression is that this James was a moderate between Paul's radical no-Torah-for-anyone position and the radical Torah-for-all/anti Pauline position of the "false brothers" in Galatians. And this James nevertheless protected Paul and had nothing to do with the attack against him by the violent mob in Acts 21.

So when I picture someone who was "Jamesian," I picture a moderate like this James.
I am working with the idea of the James sect being radical zealots similar to what Eisenmann discusses. People who purified themselves through strict observance of law, who hate gentiles and keep away from them. The community of Saints from DSS texts who imagine the shedding of flesh, the rain of fire from heaven and the opening of the celestial gates, the final war where the Earth is cleansed.

The intense genocidal violence in Cyrene and Cyprus appears to me to reflect this mode of eschatological zealotry.

The locus for this, in my opinion, is from 50-65 in the Transjordan. Qumran being their "Jerusalem center". I would imagine if there were "Chrestians" by 50 AD in the Roman Empire, they belonged to this sect. Let's call this the preeminent eschatological sect among Judaism, and in my opinion it expressed itself during the Kitos uprisings, and then died and was replaced by various strains of Christianity developed to offer an alternative eschatology.
John2

Post by John2 »

I am working with the idea of the James sect being radical zealots similar to what Eisenmann discusses. People who purified themselves through strict observance of law, who hate gentiles and keep away from them.

I'm familiar with Eisenman (and the DSS), but I wouldn't characterize Jewish Christian leaders as being violent or hating gentiles, since they appear to have been open to gentile affiliation, with the only question being how close and whether or not or to what extent gentiles should be Torah observant. And I see the issue of table fellowship in Galatians as being about maintaining Jewish ritual purity rather than hating gentiles.

I suppose there could have been violent Christians of the sort in Acts 21 who revered James, but James is not presented as encouraging their violence and he protects Paul from them (even though he disagrees with Paul's no-Torah-for-Jews position).

I think Eisenman gets the character of mainstream Jewish Christianity wrong. Some Christians may have been violent (to judge from Peter and Paul's letters urging Christians to not be rebellious), but Jewish Christian leaders (and thus mainstream Jewish Christianity) appear to have been moderate, and I think it would be more apt to call this kind of Jewish Christianity "Jamesian."
John2

Post by John2 »

I am working with the idea of the James sect being radical zealots similar to what Eisenmann discusses. People who purified themselves through strict observance of law, who hate gentiles and keep away from them. The community of Saints from DSS texts who imagine the shedding of flesh, the rain of fire from heaven and the opening of the celestial gates, the final war where the Earth is cleansed.

Like Eisenman, I do think there is some kind of relationship between Christianity and some of the DSS, but for me that's only in the framework of the DSS being Fourth Philosophic writings, and as such, they share many similarities with Christianity, since I view Christianity as being a Fourth Philosophic faction. So rather than the DSS being written by Christians, I see them as being written by birds of a feather.

One exception I might make is the Damascus Document. Given its references to Damascus, the New Covenant, singular messianism, attacks against the oral Torah of the Pharisees, belief in the End Time and such, it just "smells" like Christianity to me, but then so does the Fourth Philosophy as a whole. I can imagine any Fourth Philosophic faction writing it.

But then as Harrington and Himmelfarb note, the Damascus Document also accepts Gentiles to a certain extent, and that's harder for me to imagine other Fourth Philosophic factions doing, but I suppose it isn't impossible, and maybe there's even evidence for it somewhere in Josephus that I'm overlooking or unaware of.

It is important to recognize that the Damascus Document is the only scroll to truly accept the ger at all ... Gentiles are not neutral; their idolatry makes them impure and contaminating. Nevertheless, presumably after an initiation and purification process, they can be included among the ger category of the sect.

https://books.google.com/books?id=o26q1 ... nt&f=false

The presence of the ger among the members of the sect shows that for the Damascus Document ... gentiles were not so essentially different from Jews that it was impossible to cross the boundary.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ZgYAx ... nt&f=false

But if the Damascus Document was written by Christians, then the question would be what kind. And since it is hostile to a figure who resembles Paul (by rejecting Torah observance), and if we assume that it is Paul (for the sake of discussion), then the Damascus Document would be an anti-Pauline writing. And it is hard for me to square that with Paul's acceptance by Jewish Christian leaders and Nazarenes after them. Anti-Paul Christians of the sort in Acts 21 (or the "false brothers" in Galatians) seem like more likely candidates to me.

But then, the people that attacked Paul in Acts 21 aren't said to be Christians, only "Jews from Asia" and Jews who were in Jerusalem. These could be just Jews in general (perhaps of a Fourth Philosophic bent, given their violence and zealotry) who were alarmed by the arrival of a Jew who preached against Jewish Torah observance, perhaps even to the extent that they wrote about him in their writings (i.e., the Damascus Document).

But if some of these violent Jews in Acts 21 were Christians (and in any event we can surmise that there were violent or violent-minded Christians from Peter and Paul's letters), I would call them proto-Ebionites (who are said to have emerged as a distinct sect from mainstream Jewish Christianity sometime after 70 CE and were anti-Paul). And I can imagine them writing the Damascus Document too.
Last edited by John2 on Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

And now that I think about it, did any Jewish Christians hate Gentiles? Even the anti-Paul "false brothers" in Galatians accepted Gentiles, they just insisted on circumcision and whatever other Torah observances. I can't think of anything offhand that suggests Jewish Christians hated Gentiles, but I could be overlooking something obvious.
John2

Post by John2 »

I suppose I might agree with you about "Jamesians" this way. Paul's "false brothers" presumably revered James, as did the thousands of Jewish believers in Jerusalem in Acts 21, and some of them could have participated in the attack against Paul, and these Jewish Christians could be called "Jamesian," I guess, but they did not represent the mainstream of Jewish Christianity (i.e., "official" Jamesianism). So maybe that's meeting you half way.
John2

Post by John2 »

Elchasai has always interested me. For one, he is attributed to the split between the Nazarenes off of the Essenes. This is probably appropriate since our best reconstruction of what the Nazarenes were like comes in the form of the Mandean community.

I think you might be confusing Nazarenes (who followed James and used all of the OT) and Nasaraeans, whose followed only parts of the OT and to my knowledge are not said to be associated with James and don't appear to be Christians.

As Epiphanius describes them in Pan 1.19.3-5:

However, it [the Nasaraean sect] would not accept the Pentateuch itself. It acknowledged Moses and believed that he had received legislation—not this legislation though, they said, but some other. And so, though they were Jews who kept all the Jewish observances, they would not offer sacrifice or eat meat; in their eyes it was unlawful to eat meat or make sacrifices with it. They claimed that these books are forgeries and that none of these customs were instituted by the fathers. This was the difference between the Nasaraeans and the others;

But he describes the Nazarenes in Pan. 29.7.2-3 this way:

They use not only the New Testament but the Old Testament as well, as the Jews do. For they do not repudiate the legislation, the prophets, and the books which are called Writings by the Jews and by themselves. They have no different views but confess everything in full accord with the doctrine of the Law and like the Jews, except that they are supposedly believers in Christ.