Fragments of the New Testament (Horace H. Bradley)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Leucius Charinus

Fragments of the New Testament (Horace H. Bradley)

Post by Leucius Charinus »

FRAGMENTS OF THE NEW TESTAMENT Compiled and Edited by Horace H. Bradley
http://www.monotheism1.org/fragments_of ... ament.html

I have been meaning to seek opinions on this massive product of research for some time.
Does anyone know whether the author is still alive? (An edit at the end is dated April 21, 2013
  • There exist in the world today the remains of at least 538 written works, the contents of which, in whole or in part, point to their having at one time in their lives been considered sacred scripture to human beings who called themselves at least in part adherents of Christianity; or which, irrespective of their religious point of origin, contain elements of a sacred nature which are ­in some manner in definite verbal or conceptual parallel­ with recognizably Christian belief.
Bradley then goes on to enumerate and then discuss in some detail the total of these 538 literary texts. I thought I had done some research tabulating over 100 non canonical sources. I was to be pretty much humbled by seeing this research effort. What do others think of this summary?

Be well,

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Fragments of the New Testament (Horace H. Bradley)

Post by Peter Kirby »

It is certainly true that there is a bit of compartmentalization, generally speaking by chronology, which leads to the neglect of texts known to be produced later than Late Antiquity, simply because of the explosion in the number of sources in every subsequent century (and declining interest in any particular one - Christians like their old stuff).

A cursory glance at this list, though, does show some oddities, like the inclusion of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Compiler

Post by Compiler »

Would somebody on your site please inform Lucius Charinus that I am still alive, but completely computer-illiterate, and that the texts of all seven of my books are available at https://pfwp.org. The book he is referring to is, as far as I know, the world's leading authority in its field; although I think A Protocol for World Peace is perhaps of more potential use. I am 75, and am only competent to use snail mail; but any of you may write to me at Horace H. Bradley, 59 Lamphear Court, Corning, New York, 14830.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Compiler wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:19 am Would somebody on your site please inform Lucius Charinus that I am still alive, but completely computer-illiterate, and that the texts of all seven of my books are available at https://pfwp.org. The book he is referring to is, as far as I know, the world's leading authority in its field; although I think A Protocol for World Peace is perhaps of more potential use. I am 75, and am only competent to use snail mail; but any of you may write to me at Horace H. Bradley, 59 Lamphear Court, Corning, New York, 14830.
Horace,

I'm afraid that Lucius Charinus (he's Pete Brown of Australia, aka "Mountainman" or "Kookaburra Jack") was banned a long while ago for hijacking every thread in deference to his own theory that the whole kit and caboose of Christianity was due to Herculean efforts by Constantine the Great.

Constantine's intent, he thought, was to create an empire-wide religion which he could effectively control as pontifex maximus. If I remember correctly, he felt that Constantine fabricated it entirely from scratch - no actual Jesus but a myth compiled from bits and pieces of other existing myths using literary accounts of Essenes/Therapeutes as a model.

If you can access the internet (library, Android/I-phone, etc) his bio is based at a site called Mountain Man Graphics. Seems he has not updated it since about 2013, so he may be "retired" himself:

http://www.mountainman.com.au/old_home.html

For all Pete's esoteric stuff, see here:

http://www.mountainman.com.au/

For his theory about Christianity as an invention of Constantine, see Did Constantine Invent Christianity?:

http://www.mountainman.com.au/essenes/

The "Essenes" subdirectory he has it in refers to the primary organizational model used by Constantine for his made-up cult of Jesus Christ.

Don't get me wrong, he is (was?) a successful SQL programmer with a credible résumé to go with it, as well as a lifelong surfer. He came across to me as a bit too "New Age" oriented, although without the crystals, pyramids and wind chimes.

I'll take a look at the website where your books can be found.

DCH
Compiler

Post by Compiler »

Thank you DCHindley. Click on Books at https://pfwp.org and then on The Monotheism Project and the titles of my volumes will be revealed, linked to their texts. The title 5. Granth Sahib, The is, I regret to say, an unfinished transmission of that work. The orthodox presentation will be found under the title 4. The Sacred Scriptures of the Five Monoteisms; but I had attempted under 5. to alphabetize its contents according to their associated hymn tunes--with the word Recited indicating those hymns not associated with a tune title--under the names of their respective gurus, bhagats and bards. The idea behind this was to make the beauty of its poetry more accessible to the millions of people who are perhaps unfamiliar with the traditional arrangement; but I put it aside years ago for some reason lost in the mists of my own obscurity and simply forget to finish it. I did complete it earlier this year; its corrected text--under the title 5. Granth Sahib, The Alphabetical, is waiting on my computer guy to effect the necessary site change, and I am sure in the fullness of time this will be done. Until then my illiteracy will be on display for all the world to see, but I am used to that, for my friends all tell me that if I had another brain in my head it would still be lonely, and I am sufficiently convinced of the correctness of this evaluation. The other texts remain as complete as I can make them; I hope you find them informative, and that even at this late date (I began them in 1973 when I was just a pup) they still transmit some of the thrill of discovery and excitement of the reference-chase which I experienced in their compilation so many years ago. Thank you once again, Peter Kirby, for allowing me to post here; and to all of you who read these works, please make whatever use them you feel is professionally appropriate to your need. Consider all of them my free gift to the people of this world; and in the words of one of my greatest heroes, Live long and prosper. Horace H. Bradley, 11:11AM, September 19, 2018.
Compiler

Post by Compiler »

DC Hindley: thank you for your reply. I should perhaps have mentioned that these books were conceived of as a sequence, beginning with those of perhaps greatest religious concern to the people of my world concerned with monotheistic worship; and finally for the evaluation of linguistic deposits from all my people in order to discover the secret to permanent individual (and so world) peace. We are headed for the stars, our human race--and my certainty of this led in its turn to the Protocol for World Peace; on the assumption that, if we humans do not discover an answer sufficient to convince us all of its ultimate veracity, we shall be doomed to perish either by mutual slaughter or inevitable ennui. In short, the Protocl is an option for a galactic exploratory life free of hatred and fear--a life worthy of service to, at least, the Local Group. I'll settle for that, to begin with. Horace H. Bradley, 8:30PM, December 1, 2018.
Jax

Post by Jax »

DCHindley wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:20 am
Compiler wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:19 am Would somebody on your site please inform Lucius Charinus that I am still alive, but completely computer-illiterate, and that the texts of all seven of my books are available at https://pfwp.org. The book he is referring to is, as far as I know, the world's leading authority in its field; although I think A Protocol for World Peace is perhaps of more potential use. I am 75, and am only competent to use snail mail; but any of you may write to me at Horace H. Bradley, 59 Lamphear Court, Corning, New York, 14830.
Horace,

I'm afraid that Lucius Charinus (he's Pete Brown of Australia, aka "Mountainman" or "Kookaburra Jack") was banned a long while ago for hijacking every thread in deference to his own theory that the whole kit and caboose of Christianity was due to Herculean efforts by Constantine the Great.

Constantine's intent, he thought, was to create an empire-wide religion which he could effectively control as pontifex maximus. If I remember correctly, he felt that Constantine fabricated it entirely from scratch - no actual Jesus but a myth compiled from bits and pieces of other existing myths using literary accounts of Essenes/Therapeutes as a model.

If you can access the internet (library, Android/I-phone, etc) his bio is based at a site called Mountain Man Graphics. Seems he has not updated it since about 2013, so he may be "retired" himself:

http://www.mountainman.com.au/old_home.html

For all Pete's esoteric stuff, see here:

http://www.mountainman.com.au/

For his theory about Christianity as an invention of Constantine, see Did Constantine Invent Christianity?:

http://www.mountainman.com.au/essenes/

The "Essenes" subdirectory he has it in refers to the primary organizational model used by Constantine for his made-up cult of Jesus Christ.

Don't get me wrong, he is (was?) a successful SQL programmer with a credible résumé to go with it, as well as a lifelong surfer. He came across to me as a bit too "New Age" oriented, although without the crystals, pyramids and wind chimes.

I'll take a look at the website where your books can be found.

DCH
Kookaburra Jack still posts at the history site Historum.
Compiler

Post by Compiler »

DC Hindley. Rejoice with me! Just yesterday I met with the young man who made all my works available on the Internet, and he is now free to register the ALPHABETICAL GRANTH SAHIB in its finished state (see previous post); and has assurred me that the printed and illustrated file under Russia 1 in THE PROTOCOL FOR WORLD PEACE (https://pfwp.org) can be properly read by any modern computer dealing with the most modern version of Windows. "The new computers have the power you do not have," he told me, "dealing with Windows Office as you are, long ago replaced, and with your technology, bought 20 years ago and much patched." So this is probably my last message, working on my memoirs as I am now, and trying to encompqass the onset of my own death (cellulitis, arthritis, dropsy, and so on), This youth of 28 just gratuated summa cum laude with his first degree, while simultaneously working for wages, and helping his wife raise their newly born son. Rejoice with them, thse wonderful new lives! Horace H. Bradley (he of 75 years and seven months), 1:52PM, December 15, 2018.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Horace,

Oh I can sympathize with having health issues affect my quality of life and mental bandwidth.

Best wishes!!

DCH
Compiler wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:54 amDC Hindley. Rejoice with me! Just yesterday I met with the young man who made all my works available on the Internet, and he is now free to register the ALPHABETICAL GRANTH SAHIB in its finished state (see previous post); and has assurred me that the printed and illustrated file under Russia 1 in THE PROTOCOL FOR WORLD PEACE (https://pfwp.org) can be properly read by any modern computer dealing with the most modern version of Windows. "The new computers have the power you do not have," he told me, "dealing with Windows Office as you are, long ago replaced, and with your technology, bought 20 years ago and much patched." So this is probably my last message, working on my memoirs as I am now, and trying to encompass the onset of my own death (cellulitis, arthritis, dropsy, and so on), This youth of 28 just gratuated summa cum laude with his first degree, while simultaneously working for wages, and helping his wife raise their newly born son. Rejoice with them, thse wonderful new lives! Horace H. Bradley (he of 75 years and seven months), 1:52PM, December 15, 2018.
Compiler

Post by Compiler »

DC Hindley, et al. It occurs to me that an analysis of the contents of the 538 volumes or fragments thereof, whose titles and rough outlines appear in Fragments of the New Testament, might result in some fundamental, far reaching discoveries hitherto unknown in the uncharted regions of the ocean of Religion. One remembers that, included in the bibliographies accompanying these visions, there appear the languages of their origin and translation, and the libraries where the original manuscripts may be discovered. The titles themselves come very close to representing a Universal Set of the discoverable material in question. Armed with appropriate funding for extensive travel, possessed with the means to translate some fifty languges, and with perhaps twenty years or so of time at ones disposal (together with a small staff devoted to library researach and allied secretarial labor)--why, who knows what heretofore concealed temples of learning might be uncovered, filled with unimaginable riches of wisdom of inestimable benefit to the human race. Alas, I am to old to undertake such an attracative adventure; but perhaps you, DC Hindley, allied with a set of brilliant colleagues, could accomplish what my soul strives for, but which my years and illness must of necessity deny me. Just a thought. Horace H. Bradley, 10:48AM, December 16, 2018.