Nocturnal crucifixion versus diurnal crucifixion

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Nocturnal crucifixion versus diurnal crucifixion

Post by Giuseppe »

I see that in Paul Jesus is probably crucified during the night (when he was “delivered”) being the night also an optimal expedient to be not recognized by the archons of this age (obviously to kill someone in the obscurity doesn't guarantee that the killer knows the his victim).

And surprise: in Mark Jesus is crucified in full day.

This is a precise signal: with the first Gospel, the mysteric cult decided to start the preaching of the cross in full light for the outsiders.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Nocturnal crucifixion versus diurnal crucifixion

Post by Giuseppe »

A nocturnal killer is more cruel but also more blind in relation to his victim. An apt description of demons...
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Note also the different vision.

In Paul, with the Eucharist episode happened in that same "night", the apostles and Paul could KNOW what had to happen in that night, differently from the demons.

While in Mark, just who received the Eucharist didn't realize what was happening on the cross in full day.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Giuseppe wrote:I see that in Paul Jesus is probably crucified during the night.

provide a source
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

Giuseppe wrote:Note also the different vision.

In Paul, with the Eucharist episode happened in that same "night", the apostles and Paul could KNOW what had to happen in that night, differently from the demons.

While in Mark, just who received the Eucharist didn't realize what was happening on the cross in full day.
Are we forgetting that days go from sundown to sundown for Jews so Paul can say "that same night" and the night can precede rather than come after the events he's talking about, or so the authors expect us to believe?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

outhouse wrote:
Giuseppe wrote:I see that in Paul Jesus is probably crucified during the night.

provide a source
1 Cotinthians 11:
23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body that is for[g] you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
Are we forgetting that days go from sundown to sundown for Jews so Paul can say "that same night" and the night can precede rather than come after the events he's talking about, or so the authors expect us to believe?
Usually ''night'' is dark, day is not-dark. That is the basic difference in all the cultures.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

The original Greek is:
ἐν τῇ νυκτὶ
In his description of Tartarus, Hesiod locates there the home of Nyx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyx

Could the temporal construct ''in the night'' be used as adverb of place?

Could it be used to mean the place where Jesus was crucified?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

I am correct!!!

1 Thessalonians 5:5
Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

Romans 13:12
The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
ἐν τῇ νυκτὶ means the same thing as ''in the world of flesh''.

It is not a literal ''night''. Paul is saying that Jesus was betrayed to death in the world of darkness, including the ''air'' and the ''earth''.
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

I think you will need a passage from Paul much more solid than 1st Cor 11:23 to get this even started. Because the word "betrayed" implies correct identification and undercuts your theory.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

I hope you are not one who believes that "betrayed" means Judas Hiskariot or something of like.

For me it means simply "delivered" therefore meaning simply that Jesus was put in a place, precisely "in the night".